Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

What tool is best for changing muzzle devices without scratching them up? Do I need anything in particular when putting on a new one?

I have one of those flat AR wrench things, but it doesn't line up with the flats of the muzzle device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Open ended wrench that’s the right size and a way to hold the upper steady.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

You can also use a strap wrench if you dont have the right size normal wrench.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Cool, I've got plenty of wrenches. Just wanted to make sure that was the best bet before I went and twisted at it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Wrap it in painter's tape first if you really want to be careful, too.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Pipe wrenches, crescent wrenches, or anything that will have adjustable parallel flats will also work

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

“Parallel Flats” was the name of my ska band in college.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

It blows that no one else who designed an assault rifle in the 20th century copied the AK's detent system that makes swapping muzzle devices comically easy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Knipex Pliers Wrench

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Got wife approval to slowly build up a 308. So 16" 308 upper for the -10 is a go. Which is a good thing with a stripped upper and BCG in hand and a Nomad-LT and 16" big gunner on order... And a complete AR-10 in 6.5CM in hand.

Debating swapping the PRS stock for an UBR. Keeps the weight and stability but loses adjustability. Better for splitting time between the two uppers... (18" 6.5CM)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 21, 2021

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I goofed around online and bought a PWS MK116 piston upper, which their technical information claims is tuned for a H2 buffer. I was thinking about putting it on a KP-15 lower, which I now see only takes either carbine or proprietary buffers. Can I adjust the upper to one of the suppressed gas settings to undergas it and 'even' out the impulse or do I need to go about getting one of the proprietary buffers at the proper weight?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Crossposting because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuaOY5QmvJk

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Flappy Bert posted:

I goofed around online and bought a PWS MK116 piston upper, which their technical information claims is tuned for a H2 buffer. I was thinking about putting it on a KP-15 lower, which I now see only takes either carbine or proprietary buffers. Can I adjust the upper to one of the suppressed gas settings to undergas it and 'even' out the impulse or do I need to go about getting one of the proprietary buffers at the proper weight?

Carbine (size) buffers come in H2 (weight) also.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ian reaching over the top of the 733 to hit the bolt release is a pretty clever move for left-handlers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ian reaching over the top of the 733 to hit the bolt release is a pretty clever move for left-handlers.

Yeah he was quick I had to rewind to see what he did. It's so obvious.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

sharkytm posted:

Knipex Pliers Wrench

i was told these are the best thing since wafered silicon and keep meaning to buy one or two

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Theres also cheaper locking wrenches but those knipex look nice. Just don't slip on a muzzle device!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Styles Bitchley posted:

i was told these are the best thing since wafered silicon and keep meaning to buy one or two

I have them in 5 sizes. They're incredibly useful, and don't leave marks like basically anything else would.

Shaocaholica posted:

Theres also cheaper locking wrenches but those knipex look nice. Just don't slip on a muzzle device!
They don't lock like a Vise-Grip, but they really don't want to slip. It's an excellent design.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I was thinking more like the locking crescent wrenches but the knipex design looks much better.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

I was thinking more like the locking crescent wrenches but the knipex design looks much better.

Ah. Yes. I have one of the Stanley locking adjustable wrenches. The knipex is thinner-jawed and more polished. They're both useful, to be sure.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ahahahah!

Also, because total nerd, I did order the vest.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

ughhhhhh this rekindles my desire to SBR this and drop a 10.5" barrel on it.

But lol @ parts availability for the next 12-18 months

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What parts are you missing?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

What parts are you missing?

This
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/556-10-5-fsb-carbine-cmv-barrel
or this
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/10-5-combat-barrel-fsb/

The stamp should be coming any day now, hopefully. Been 31 days and from what I can tell the average Form 1 Trust wait time recently has been 30-35 days

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 24, 2021

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

ZebraBlade posted:

This
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/556-10-5-fsb-carbine-cmv-barrel
or this
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/10-5-combat-barrel-fsb/

The stamp should be coming any day now, hopefully. Been 31 days and from what I can tell the average Form 1 Trust wait time recently has been 30-35 days

Last I heard Aero is prioritizing complete rifles right now, so their parts are particularly hard to come by. For some reason I'm under the impression that both them and SoLGW get their barrels from BA, so you might have a bottleneck there. Maybe see if you can find another manufacturer?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I have a SS 416R 10.5 carbine gas but no FSB. Trivial to pin one on with my local smith.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Funny enough just noticed this in an email from AIM

https://aimsurplus.com/ballistic-ad..._eid=2ec690da98

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I am guessing I would have to send it out to a smith to install a FSB and that probably doesn't come cheap.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ZebraBlade posted:

I am guessing I would have to send it out to a smith to install a FSB and that probably doesn't come cheap.

I mean what’s cheap? My local smith charges like $70?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

It would appear this is not a good time to get into 6.5 Grendel, yikes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Yeah I've debated on building a 6.5 PRS but ammo is .

Instead I may try making an M110 clone.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Styles Bitchley posted:

It would appear this is not a good time to get into 6.5 Grendel, yikes.

Not a good time to get in to anything.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Not a good time to get in to anything.

Air guns are still cheap as hell to shoot.

But agreed. I finally got a (blem) aero upper for my current build, but faxon doesn’t have the barrel I want in stock so I guess I’ll just keep waiting.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Loucks posted:

Air guns are still cheap as hell to shoot.

But agreed. I finally got a (blem) aero upper for my current build, but faxon doesn’t have the barrel I want in stock so I guess I’ll just keep waiting.

What Faxon barrel are you looking for?

I had the same problem for my build but eventually AIM had it in stock, not Faxon's website funny enough.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Any suggestions for an 18" 6.5CM AR308 barrel for long-range use? I have a Faxon match series but I swear it's the source of all my feeding issues.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

ilkhan posted:

Any suggestions for an 18" 6.5CM AR308 barrel for long-range use? I have a Faxon match series but I swear it's the source of all my feeding issues.

huh, my faxon big gunner 20 in 6.5 hasn’t had a single issue, I’d highly recommend except you’re already having problems

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

I might just switch to a big gunner 18-20". The issue is failure to feed (round gets stuck on the feed ramp, both during actual firing and dropping the bolt from open. Works fine with my dummy rounds, but couple different brands of real ammo do the same thing). Annoying as hell overall.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Action-Bastard posted:

What Faxon barrel are you looking for?

I had the same problem for my build but eventually AIM had it in stock, not Faxon's website funny enough.

That 16” gunner profile in 5.56 with the “pinned” gas block. I wasn’t checking aim surplus at all. Maybe I should read the thread instead of randomly dipping into the last few pages every so often. I’ll start watching aim too. Thanks.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Loucks posted:

That 16” gunner profile in 5.56 with the “pinned” gas block. I wasn’t checking aim surplus at all. Maybe I should read the thread instead of randomly dipping into the last few pages every so often. I’ll start watching aim too. Thanks.

Good news!

https://www.armorally.com/shop/faxon-16-556-nato-gunner-barrel-w-pinned-gas-block-15a58m16ngq-apgb/

I just googled the SKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Well this rules. Thank you!

quote:

I just googled the SKU

Goddamnit I feel dumb as hell.