Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Anyone do a 9×39 AR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Anyone buy from JSE Surplus? They're the only place with a decent short grendel barrel in stock and I really want to finish this project.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I think the Milsurp Thread says good things about JSE. I have them bookmarked.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

If anyone comes across an in stock 10.5" 9mm barrel with front sight post and barrel nut installed let me know. Everyone I can find that lists them is out of stock, there's a used Colt takeoff on Gunbroker but more than I want to spend on a used barrel just for ~*Colt*~

Like this one: https://doublestarusa.com/10-5-9mm-1-10-chrome-lined-lightweight-barrel-front-sight-base-ar910cl

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean whatís cheap? My local smith charges like $70?

Adco tends to be recommended at Arfcom, $110 plus shipping if you supply the FSB + pins. https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/fsb-install/

I've been looking at local smiths myself, and seeing bullshit like $175/hour; there's a WA dude who's out at McChord who does various gunsmithery for free (but it's nice to kick him some bucks anyway), but last I heard 1) he still didn't have a jig for doing taper pins, and 2) he was about to go off for training for a couple months. (Found via the WA gunnies subreddit, which i still can't post in because of whatever the bullshit karma requirement is goddammit just tell me where and how much shitposting I need to do you knobs...)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dang $175/hr. My smith is $100 for rando stuff. Fixed rates for common tasks. And pretty good for repeat customers. You make appt and he does the work while you wait. Great if anything wierd comes up and you have to make a decision on the spot about something.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I ordered the 12" grendel barrel, tunable gb, and bcg combo. I already had an aero enhanced upper with a 9" and 15" quantum rail sitting around so I can tuck my omega can under by a couple inches. Should make a good short upper with plenty of power for hunting inside 200yds. Just need to decide on a scope once I get it. Could be interesting with an acog or prism on it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Atticus_1354 posted:

Anyone buy from JSE Surplus? They're the only place with a decent short grendel barrel in stock and I really want to finish this project.

I got a 1x7 A1 barrel with FSB from them based on retro builder recommendations. Haven't been able to shoot it but I didn't have any problems with installation FWIW.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

Ygolonac posted:

Adco tends to be recommended at Arfcom, $110 plus shipping if you supply the FSB + pins. https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/fsb-install/

I've been looking at local smiths myself, and seeing bullshit like $175/hour; there's a WA dude who's out at McChord who does various gunsmithery for free (but it's nice to kick him some bucks anyway), but last I heard 1) he still didn't have a jig for doing taper pins, and 2) he was about to go off for training for a couple months. (Found via the WA gunnies subreddit, which i still can't post in because of whatever the bullshit karma requirement is goddammit just tell me where and how much shitposting I need to do you knobs...)

Depending on where you're at in Washington, if you haven't checked him out already, I would shoot the guy at Black Hammer Arms an email to see what he would charge to do what you need done. He comes highly recommended.

https://www.blackhammerarms.com/

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Iím looking at ~15Ē free float M-LOK rails. The Aero R-One looks good, but Iíve never even had my hands on one. Are there any obviously superior options from a weight/stability perspective?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Uncle Lizard posted:

Depending on where you're at in Washington, if you haven't checked him out already, I would shoot the guy at Black Hammer Arms an email to see what he would charge to do what you need done. He comes highly recommended.

https://www.blackhammerarms.com/

I'm Eastsider, yo - Spokane.

This is the pricing I found for the one place.

quote:

SERVICE CHARGES Price

Per Man Hour $120.00

Per Man & Machine Hour $180.00

MINIMUM CHARGE PER GUN $40.00

Written appraisals, cost estimates $60.00

If dude is charging $60 for cost estimates, I'm drat sure he'll charge machine hours for running the drill.

I need both a 16" and a 7.5" done, but the stone sonofabitch is going to be getting the ghost ring front done for the LaFrance upper.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the front cap for that, either, since I'm using the proper back half of triangle guards, and not the "carbine" triangle repros or front-half ones like on a 607.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Loucks posted:

Iím looking at ~15Ē free float M-LOK rails. The Aero R-One looks good, but Iíve never even had my hands on one. Are there any obviously superior options from a weight/stability perspective?

How much are you looking to spend? Because SLR and V7 make lighter rails with better finishing that cost more, MI makes pretty light rails with not quite as good finish, and there's always carbon fiber...

The current kings of stability are variations of the Hodge rail.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I decided to drill and tap the access hole under the sling mount and all 4 taper pin holes. Might be a little overkill, but that access hole should index the fsb for me with my dimple for the gas block that is currently installed.

That makes sense, right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Err what are you going to do with all those tapped holes? Especially the taper pin holes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Welp, finally got my MBT-2S. 10 week lead time, and I'd guess longer now if anyone is looking for one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Blindeye posted:

Welp, finally got my MBT-2S. 10 week lead time, and I'd guess longer now if anyone is looking for one.

Or pay the $100 from GAFS and get it in 2 days. I've got 2 and a G2S. Hell of I can tell the difference, they're nice triggers.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Shaocaholica posted:

Err what are you going to do with all those tapped holes? Especially the taper pin holes.

I have a barrel with no taper pin cuts, but it does have dimples. Gunna mount a front sight gas block with set screws instead of taper pins.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I have a barrel with no taper pin cuts, but it does have dimples. Gunna mount a front sight gas block with set screws instead of taper pins.

Are you going to dimple all those spots?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Del-Ton 20" lightweight w/FSB in stock

https://www.del-ton.com/Del-Ton-Inc-Barrels-p/bl1028a.htm

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Shaocaholica posted:

Are you going to dimple all those spots?

After attempting to install it this morning, I'm strongly consodering it. It's on there pretty tight, but I need straighten in out. I ran out of time before work.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

sharkytm posted:

Or pay the $100 from GAFS and get it in 2 days. I've got 2 and a G2S. Hell of I can tell the difference, they're nice triggers.

GAFS?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

'Gun Accessories For Sale' is a subreddit. They seem to be pretty good on not price gouging on scarce items like eBay or gun broker.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Just got a new stripped A1 upper in the mail, and I've never owned a fixed carry handle upper before. Is it normal for the right wall of the sight channel to be thicker than the left or did I get a blem? Here's a shot looking down the carry handle from the rear of the receiver:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Final Blog Entry posted:

Is it normal for the right wall of the sight channel to be thicker than the left or did I get a blem?

It is not normal, though it may still be usable. Did you get that from Brownells or Luth-AR?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

It is not normal, though it may still be usable. Did you get that from Brownells or Luth-AR?

Got it from a place called KM Tactical. Saw some they had listed on Gunbroker and then went and ordered direct from their website.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

So I'm thinking of buying myself a Banshee 300 9mm for a birthday gift, but being somewhat ignorant of NFA stuff, which of them are SBRs off the factory line, and which are pistols?

Part of me just wants to go the whole nine yards and get the SBR plus DefCan, but I really don't *need* the suppressor.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I'm thinking of buying myself a Banshee 300 9mm for a birthday gift, but being somewhat ignorant of NFA stuff, which of them are SBRs off the factory line, and which are pistols?

A factory-direct SBR will come with a stock and you'll need to do all the NFA paperwork before the firearm is transferred over to you. If it's a "pistol" it will come with a brace so that you can do the paperwork yourself on your own time (or if you live in a state that doesn't allow SBR's).

quote:

Part of me just wants to go the whole nine yards and get the SBR plus DefCan, but I really don't *need* the suppressor.
You say that now...

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Final Blog Entry posted:

Got it from a place called KM Tactical. Saw some they had listed on Gunbroker and then went and ordered direct from their website.

Oh man, I was looking at the same thing on their website. Have you tried to install a rear sight yet?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'd pick a can over SBR every day of thw week

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'd pick a can over SBR every day of thw week

Well, I only own a P320, an 18" heavy-barrelled AR, and potentially, the Banshee. I think the Banshee would make the most sense to suppress eventually.

I did see a review saying the anodizing is not the best in the world, though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Speaking of SBR vs. pistol, I present today's gunbroker NFA violation!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

infrared35 posted:

Speaking of SBR vs. pistol, I present today's gunbroker NFA violation!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The dumb (dumber?) thing is, it comes with a custom case cut specifically to hold that AR pistol with the VFG on it.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Oh man, I was looking at the same thing on their website. Have you tried to install a rear sight yet?

That's the one. No, didn't have a rear sight assembly ordered for it yet.

Something jogged in my memory and I went back and looked at the blem slick A1's that Brownells recently had available

Brownells posted:

These blemished lowers exhibit a slightly offset sight channel.  Iron sights will install and zero, but will need slight adjustment to one side.

Well that would seem to fit the description of what KM Tactical sent me. Also found this "B" stamp on the rear takedown lug, blem marking maybe? Is KM reselling blems without indicating as much?

Going to send them an email and tell them I need a refund or replacement

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

AFAIK that 'B' stamp on the rear lug is how Brownells marks its retro uppers. I'm guessing KMT is reselling blems from whoever makes them for Brownells.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

'Gun Accessories For Sale' is a subreddit. They seem to be pretty good on not price gouging on scarce items like eBay or gun broker.

They actively mock people who ask for too much money. It's one of the few actually good places on Reddit.

I've scored quite a few deals there, and there's well-established rules. I sell stuff locally where I can get more money for it, but for a quick turnaround, GAFS is where it's at. If it's not sold in ($value of item)/20 hours, it's not gonna sell at that price. I've literally bought stuff within 30 seconds of it being posted, and missed stuff at 45 seconds.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Oh, my, yes

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

How did you put so many great ideas on one gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Just FYI, these are more like middleweight, they're basically government profile barrels turned down in front of the FSP.