Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Somebody Awful posted:

AFAIK that 'B' stamp on the rear lug is how Brownells marks its retro uppers. I'm guessing KMT is reselling blems from whoever makes them for Brownells.

That makes sense on the B stamp. Sent them an email asking for a replacement or refund because of the defect, but didn't come out the gate accusing them of any intentional misrepresentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Yeah my upper isn't perfectly center but it's on the order of a couple thousandths, not visibly so like that. Honestly it's probably fine, as long as it zeros

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I would just run it, except for the fact they misrepresented and falsely advertised the product.

I would send them a polite email detailing my issues, and ask how they want to proceed. If they decide to be dickheads, file a charge back.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Yeah its kind of principle of the matter, and while it may function fine it'll probably be months before I accumulate all the parts for this upper and find out if I do have any functional issues. Also, that left side seems thin enough that I could see it bending or cracking if the gun got dropped on it somehow.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

I believe that's a machining error by whoever was finishing them up - not NoDak, they supplied the raw forgings only. Both of my slickside uppers (one Brownells, one ???) are the same, and I've seen complaints about A1/C7 uppers with the same issue.

I've also seen claims that people's issued rifles were this way as well, but ??? if bullshit or not.

Actual Colt upper (Numrich parts kit)(not mine):

As for the proto-upper carbine - also not mine, found on Reddit and liked the look of it. Not enough to do it myself, but still...

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Jfc what is this

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Ygolonac posted:

I believe that's a machining error by whoever was finishing them up - not NoDak, they supplied the raw forgings only. Both of my slickside uppers (one Brownells, one ???) are the same, and I've seen complaints about A1/C7 uppers with the same issue.

I've also seen claims that people's issued rifles were this way as well, but ??? if bullshit or not.

Actual Colt upper (Numrich parts kit)(not mine):

As for the proto-upper carbine - also not mine, found on Reddit and liked the look of it. Not enough to do it myself, but still...

New Vegas survivalist rifle... reborn!!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

sharkytm posted:

Or pay the $100 from GAFS and get it in 2 days. I've got 2 and a G2S. Hell of I can tell the difference, they're nice triggers.
Thanks for mentioning. Just sold an upper I've been wanting to offload for a while.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

ilkhan posted:

Thanks for mentioning. Just sold an upper I've been wanting to offload for a while.

NP. Reddit is a cesspool, but GAFS is pretty good. Any place with $50 MBUS can't be bad.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Moved my Streamlight Protac inside half an hour on GFAS, nice. Been trying to find a home for that thing for a month now

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I mean some things move super quick for some reason like EOTechs for close to MSRP. But other stuff not so much like AK stuff. I get it but it seems itís on the extreme ends of my personal expectations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

I've got a Spitfire 3x prism optic and an AD RECON mount to sell, I'll probably go through GAFS.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Iíve sold some stuff through GAFS and Iíve had good experiences. Stuff usually moves fast too unless itís super niche

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ophidian posted:

I’ve sold some stuff through GAFS and I’ve had good experiences. Stuff usually moves fast too unless it’s super niche

Is paypal still stupid and won't let you do anything gun related?

What is the usual payment method on there?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

L0cke17 posted:

Is paypal still stupid and won't let you do anything gun related?

What is the usual payment method on there?

What Paypal doesn't know won't hurt you. Sterile PP (no comments at all) is the usual thing I'm seeing; some want Zelle or Cashapp or something, money order or cash (rarely) as seen as well. (Arfcom EE - haven't looked at Give A gently caress, Son myself, as I'm looking for niche retro stuff for the most part and don't feel like wading through ten million L00K ULTRATACTACTACTICAL RAILZZZ, and the EE is bad enough that way.

As for my Griffin XM Linear Comp plan, that looks dead. The one place that does imports from Canuckistan is either not doing smaller parts right now, or they're so overwhelmed they can't even answer their email. Everyone else I've found wants ridiculous money, which would be fine if I was bringing in $4000 worth of gun, not $170 worth of muzzle device. And I guess Griffin got tired of people asking about it, because they nuked the product page outright.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

What Paypal doesn't know won't hurt you. Sterile PP (no comments at all) is the usual thing I'm seeing; some want Zelle or Cashapp or something, money order or cash (rarely) as seen as well. (Arfcom EE - haven't looked at Give A gently caress, Son myself, as I'm looking for niche retro stuff for the most part and don't feel like wading through ten million L00K ULTRATACTACTACTICAL RAILZZZ, and the EE is bad enough that way.

As for my Griffin XM Linear Comp plan, that looks dead. The one place that does imports from Canuckistan is either not doing smaller parts right now, or they're so overwhelmed they can't even answer their email. Everyone else I've found wants ridiculous money, which would be fine if I was bringing in $4000 worth of gun, not $170 worth of muzzle device. And I guess Griffin got tired of people asking about it, because they nuked the product page outright.

You just discovered the same issue I've been having.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

bulletsponge13 posted:

You just discovered the same issue I've been having.

Theoretically on this dead gay humour forum, it would almost be cheaper for me to get a PO box up north, drive up, buy a shitload of cider for personal use (because I fukken love Canadian cider) oh and also a metal hammer handle that the head screws into. You know, banging around in my bag of tools. Maybe it gets plastidipped, for better grip.

poo poo, might be easier and cheaper to just get a donor linear comp and a repro fake moderator, and have the guts of the comp welded in.

Or were you referring to the joys of finding something specific in a sea of trashtical yivshish?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Well KM Tactical got back to me about the A1 upper, they sent me a shipping label and told me they would issue a refund when they receive it back. No offer of replacement and the uppers are still listed in stock on their website, so I would assume all of their inventory is probably like this.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Theoretically on this dead gay humour forum, it would almost be cheaper for me to get a PO box up north, drive up, buy a shitload of cider for personal use (because I fukken love Canadian cider) oh and also a metal hammer handle that the head screws into. You know, banging around in my bag of tools. Maybe it gets plastidipped, for better grip.

poo poo, might be easier and cheaper to just get a donor linear comp and a repro fake moderator, and have the guts of the comp welded in.

Or were you referring to the joys of finding something specific in a sea of trashtical yivshish?

I just have a dumb build idea that I want a CAR type muzzle device, but with something more effective.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Dry fit of the 12" grendel. Kind of sad that the really nice stainless barrel is covered up. May end up buying a bit shorter of a rail or letting my gunsmith buddy chop this one down. Needs a 5x prism sight to keep the weight down and maximize the handiness.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I had to look up the difference between 6.5 Grendel & 6.5 Creedmoor and learned a lot. How's the ballistics of 6.5 Grendel out of that 12.5" barrel?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Android Apocalypse posted:

I had to look up the difference between 6.5 Grendel & 6.5 Creedmoor and learned a lot. How's the ballistics of 6.5 Grendel out of that 12.5" barrel?

Both are designed to maximize ballistic performance for a given magwell size. I'll bet it's pretty awesome in a short barrel.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Pretty drat good. Compare it to anything else at 12" and it's outstanding. It gonna be my crittergitter for around the ranch. Relatively lightweight and handy once that pig of a scope comes off.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

drat you all for reminding me about this Grendel auction where 80 rounds went for $180.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898012191

Out of curiosity, where are you "Not 5.56" AR folks finding ammo? Is it all random Gunbroker auctions or do you have any luck in the stores?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Anyone have a hera CCS stock? (Not the CQR, the more normalish looking CCS). I like the look but don't see many reviews out there.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you "Not 5.56" AR folks finding ammo? Is it all random Gunbroker auctions or do you have any luck in the stores?

My closet.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Captain Log posted:

drat you all for reminding me about this Grendel auction where 80 rounds went for $180.

Luckily there hasn't been a panic run on .458 bullets and 458 socom brass was hard to get pre panic so really its been about the same as before

other than primers and powder

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Captain Log posted:

There is a store near me that lets you do online orders and then pick up there. Somehow the prices aren't crazy insane. When they do get a shipment the line is out the door and down the street from all the people that ordered though

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Atticus_1354 posted:

Dry fit of the 12" grendel. Kind of sad that the really nice stainless barrel is covered up. May end up buying a bit shorter of a rail or letting my gunsmith buddy chop this one down. Needs a 5x prism sight to keep the weight down and maximize the handiness.

The red larue clips are what makes it. You gonna get one of those PA micro prisms if they ever come out?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Captain Log posted:

There's a Tenet joke here about ammo from the future.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Gunbroker is probably the worst place to buy guns and ammo right now.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Styles Bitchley posted:

Gunbroker is probably the worst place to buy guns and ammo right now.

I got my Steyr L9A2 for below MSRP on gunbroker a few months ago so

edit: actually it was January so that is more than a few months ago but still mid panic

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 4, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

bulletsponge13 posted:

I just have a dumb build idea that I want a CAR type muzzle device, but with something more effective.

https://innovativeindustriesllc.com/xm177-moderator/

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

The red larue clips are what makes it. You gonna get one of those PA micro prisms if they ever come out?

Larue clips are my go to and I have a variety of colors. Probably get my buddy to order a vortex prism for his shop so I can try that out.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Was trying to avoid the whole NFA thing- it seems silly to pay 200$ tax and not get an actual can.The Griffin One (I thought) wasn't NFA, just a linear comp shaped correctly. I know I can buy non-functional repros- this is the first time I've seen a legit clone.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kak makes a pretty long linear comp. Kaw valley makes a modular linear comp which I bought into but I don't need mine anymore if you're interested.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Kak makes a pretty long linear comp. Kaw valley makes a modular linear comp which I bought into but I don't need mine anymore if you're interested.

Not what I was looking for, but PM sent.

E- I did it- I just meant it wasn't what I was originally looking for.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 5, 2021

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Black river tactical makes the best linear comp I've tried so far. It does a good job of redirecting concussion and reducing flash. At least my kaw valley linear comp blinded me with flash every shot

Specific
Aug 14, 2003

I am going to jump on your face, and now some serious dancin'...

Been slowly putting this together over 2020/2021. Got really good deals on the barrel and rail on gunbroker of all places. Now I just need a red dot or something.

Daniel Defense 14.5 barrel
Knights Armament URX 3.1
Daniel Defense BCG
Aero Upper
BCM gasblock
BCM extended A2
Anderson lower I had laying around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Specific posted:

Been slowly putting this together over 2020/2021. Got really good deals on the barrel and rail on gunbroker of all places. Now I just need a red dot or something.

Daniel Defense 14.5 barrel
Knights Armament URX 3.1
Daniel Defense BCG
Aero Upper
BCM gasblock
BCM extended A2
Anderson lower I had laying around

Those KAC URX rails are pretty drat cool. You mentioned looking for a red dot; got something in mind?