Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

It wouldn't surprise me if you could salvage this 39A

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900619857

Only bit that's seized is the takedown screw? Give it a kroil bath. Springs are easy to find, not sure about the wood tho.

I'd almost say the Single Six could be saved as well, but I'm not as confident there:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900619212

poo poo sucks, at least the people got out with their pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if you could salvage this 39A

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900619857

Only bit that's seized is the takedown screw? Give it a kroil bath. Springs are easy to find, not sure about the wood tho.

I'd almost say the Single Six could be saved as well, but I'm not as confident there:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900619212

poo poo sucks, at least the people got out with their pets

Of all those guns the single six is the one I'd YOLO on. .22LR isn't exactly a high pressure cartridge and once you're past "will it explode in my face" territory there's not much a wire wheel and kroil won't fix.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Oh hey the seller is local to me! I'm gonna peep his listings. Thanks for the links.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

ilkhan posted:

I think there's a conversion bolt and a dedicated bolt, did you get the right one?

I got a conversion bolt, but Iím wondering about getting this dealie to add to it:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900784801

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Apollodorus posted:

I got a conversion bolt, but I’m wondering about getting this dealie to add to it:

I know there are a lot of upgrades you can get for the kit. Some from CMMG themselves. I would try shooting it first with your set up and ammo and see if you have any problems. If you do, then you can start looking at troubleshooting by upgrading parts.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

I got a conversion bolt, but Iím wondering about getting this dealie to add to it:

Seems gimmicky. Of all the builds I've seen people post online, none of them said that they needed some locking lugs to "eliminate play between the bolt and the receiver". They do however mess around with buffer weights and springs to eliminate bolt bounce.

Alternatively use this to eliminate slop/play:

https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-plug/

Same function, costs way less than that locking lug thing.

jwang fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 16, 2021

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Does anyone make a safe you can install into a concreate basement floor ala John Wick (yes I realize he sledgehammered up his stash but similar idea) cause that seems like it would provide some thermal insulation naturally.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ADINSX posted:

Does anyone make a safe you can install into a concreate basement floor ala John Wick (yes I realize he sledgehammered up his stash but similar idea) cause that seems like it would provide some thermal insulation naturally.

I mean, if you want to do custom poo poo where you put safes into walls and floors and the like, yeah, the sky's the limit. It just takes hiring contractors and paying for custom poo poo.

I know Zanotti sells just the door and the metal framing around it for example. That's the kind of thing that you'd put into a concrete wall to create your own, custom, vault room thing. I presume that if you started making phone calls other companies with much beefier doors would be happy to have that conversation. Just, you know, it would end up costing $Custom_Safe + $Contractor.

As an aside I'm also a bit skeptical of the concrete floor idea just because that seems like it could be rough for making sure you don't have moisture intrusion. Air flow is your friend when it comes to keeping your poo poo from rusting.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Also, bricks, Stone, concrete? Those are things people make ovens out of.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

Also opening a safe door against gravity seems like a lot of extra hassle.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

tarlibone posted:

Yeah because they block heat not because theyíre such good conductors

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Also opening a safe door against gravity seems like a lot of extra hassle.

Also a huge hazard while closing it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Industrial steel cabinets are always my suggestion. They donít look like gun safes so you can keep them in plain view without undue suspicion. They are lighter and cheaper. You can get used ones locally for a song. Reinforced door to a gun room is also nice.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

They're large thermal masses and resistant to oxidation (because they're already ceramic and oxidized) - brick oven pizza cooks evenly because there's a huge hot thing and a little tiny pizza only uses up a little bit while the brick evens out the temperature. A gas oven in comparison can have lots of fluctuations in the time it takes to cook.

The downside to staying hot for a long time is that it takes forever to heat up in the first place - not a problem if you're cooking all day but way too much of a pain for a single meal (though a pizza stone is a decent compromise)

But yeah a safe in a basement floor would be mostly immune to fire and incredibly susceptible to flooding and moisture damage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

They're large thermal masses and resistant to oxidation (because they're already ceramic and oxidized) - brick oven pizza cooks evenly because there's a huge hot thing and a little tiny pizza only uses up a little bit while the brick evens out the temperature. A gas oven in comparison can have lots of fluctuations in the time it takes to cook.

The downside to staying hot for a long time is that it takes forever to heat up in the first place - not a problem if you're cooking all day but way too much of a pain for a single meal (though a pizza stone is a decent compromise)

But yeah a safe in a basement floor would be mostly immune to fire and incredibly susceptible to flooding and moisture damage.

Moisture in particular is the thing you need to worry about.

Have good ventilation to deter rust. Plus, you know, maintain your firearms. Guns aren't cheap.

Have a safe to deter your break and enter grade thief.

Have insurance to deal with fire, because that's really the only thing that will.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Internet Wizard posted:

Plus you can get creative with layers and spacing. Double walls with heat-resistant insulation, for example. Refractory brick is meant to reflect heat away so you also can go that route.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I was thinking about the house fires where the Fire Department doesn't show up, and the house burns to the ground, because that came up. The idea was that if you have a thin access door that's easy to open without assistance (in my head, the safe was in the ground and had to be accessed from above), then that weak link would get hot faster than you might think. And when that door gets good and hot, so does everything in the safe. Then you have a gun oven, and the door is the heat source.

I may have visualized the whole thing wrong.

Honestly, if you're thinking about doing this, my advice is to spend that money making your house easier to escape alive if it were to burst into flame, and insure your guns.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

tarlibone posted:

I was thinking about the house fires where the Fire Department doesn't show up, and the house burns to the ground, because that came up. The idea was that if you have a thin access door that's easy to open without assistance (in my head, the safe was in the ground and had to be accessed from above), then that weak link would get hot faster than you might think. And when that door gets good and hot, so does everything in the safe. Then you have a gun oven, and the door is the heat source.

I may have visualized the whole thing wrong.

Honestly, if you're thinking about doing this, my advice is to spend that money making your house easier to escape alive if it were to burst into flame, and insure your guns.

And if the fire department DOES show up, then they'll fill that floor safe with water as they put out the fire.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Yeah people sometimes forget how much of the damage from a fire is the fire/smoke itself, and how much is the fire department flooding the rest.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

tarlibone posted:

Correct, however, what a material is sinking its heat into is just as important as what the heatsink is made of.

In the case of a pizza oven, it's mostly air.

In the case of a safe built into the ground, you're sinking the heat into the ground. Which is a lot better at sinking heat than air, AND has a poo poo ton of thermal capacity.

Please enjoy this educational video on geothermal heat pumps when they are run "backwards": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zrx-b2sLUs

That said, drainage, of course, should become a prevailing concern, so your safe's contents don't become drowned by well-meaning firefighters. I don't think gaskets are going to help, here.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 17, 2021

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Iím having trouble coming up with a joke here. Something about, if you canít afford to buy something better than an Anderson, you canít afford sights either? I donít know.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Iím having trouble coming up with a joke here. Something about, if you canít afford to buy something better than an Anderson, you canít afford sights either? I donít know.

This is why I wonder why I bother to follow this thread. I mean, I can't tell if that flyer is a joke or not. It feels like it's a joke, or unintentionally funny maybe... but I just don't know.

It just seems like "never needs oiled" and "worsh it up in the crick" is bad information.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

This is why I wonder why I bother to follow this thread. I mean, I can't tell if that flyer is a joke or not. It feels like it's a joke, or unintentionally funny maybe... but I just don't know.

It just seems like "never needs oiled" and "worsh it up in the crick" is bad information.

Oh yeah. It's a very real ad (from an edition of Shooting Industry magazine), but it seems like it's completely made of terrible ideas.

But, Anderson.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

tarlibone posted:

"Our government is united in its determination to take all necessary measures in support of freedom, and in defense of peace in Southeast Asia."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Somebody Awful posted:

"Our government is united in its determination to take all necessary measures in support of freedom, and in defense of peace in Southeast Asia."

I was actually thinking about something along those lines. I'm old enough to have had many relatives who fought in Vietnam, and at least one of them still had a bone to pick with whoever made the call to issue the M16. He was still talking about it well into the 80s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

The worst thing is that for as nice as the M14 was, bringing a wooden-stocked weapon into an incredibly humid jungle was similarly stupid. The companies making the M16 could've made just as much money developing a synthetic stock for the M14 and switching every one of them out.

But no, gotta get ALL the money, not just 80% of it!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Gotta source your quotes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The worst thing is that for as nice as the M14 was, bringing a wooden-stocked weapon into an incredibly humid jungle was similarly stupid.

Can't hit anything with a wood stocked rifle in the jungle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

Somebody Awful posted:

Gotta source your quotes.

Seems they just humped linseed and/or Tung oil by the literal gallon to keep the stocks cherry in the jungle: https://www.m14forum.com/threads/question-for-vietnam-vets.417250/

Post #16 on that page implies what happens when you get an M14 wet that isn't properly treated, though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

tarlibone posted:

I can assure you with 1000% confidence that the Mr. Anderson who owns Anderson Machining is Just That Dumb

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seems they just humped linseed and/or Tung oil by the literal gallon to keep the stocks cherry in the jungle: https://www.m14forum.com/threads/question-for-vietnam-vets.417250/

Post #16 on that page implies what happens when you get an M14 wet that isn't properly treated, though.

He meant the part about the M14 being a nice rifle

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

DarkHorse posted:

I got a Zanotti too because my house is over 100 years old and there was no way anything was fitting through those doors and down those steep, narrow steps unless it was in pieces. Otherwise I would have loved a Sturdy Safe.
same (well, got two Zanottis), for the same reason.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can't hit anything with a wood stocked rifle in the jungle.

That's not a fair comparison- that stock has been properly treated, maintained, and bedded.

The M14 had a poo poo ton of issues in VN, which is a contributing factor to the reason we were ok with a new rifle. A bunch of the issues are linked to the wooden stock, and a bunch more were because the M14 was a piece of poo poo rifle we only bought into because of unfulfilled promises of tool sharing.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Timestamped to the relevant moment of 4m 07s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9JoHzlIAqs#t=247s

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

this new wave M14 bashing is so tiresome

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Styles Bitchley posted:

this new wave M14 bashing is so tiresome

'New Wave' lol

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Return to your grave, Studler!

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

So since no one seems to have 10.5" 9mm barrels with a front sight base installed, I'm thinking I'll roll my own. The only clamp-on front sight I see available anywhere is the adjustable JP which is a lot of money to not even use it as a gas block. Anyone know anything else available out there?

Any other options short of having someone properly do a taper pin install?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Mar 31, 2010

Has anyone here actually had a roll pin on their gas block drift on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Is that even possible?