Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«62 »
Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Arcella posted:

May add on an ambi safety and an extended mag release but we'll see. Got the lower together with only one mar of the finish, installing the bolt release roll pin.

Also, gently caress roll pins.

This is why I use Aero Precision M4E1 lower receivers. No roll pins for the bolt catch, trigger guard, etc. Not worried about scratching up anything during install and changing out bolt catch involves an Allen wrench, not a hammer and punch with cursing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Yeah I think the ~$10 difference would be worth it in the future, especially with the other qol features of that lower. The build instructions I used suggested using a C clamp for the trigger roll pin (which I forgot to do) and pliers for the bolt catch pin, though I have no idea how you'd advance it with needle-nose pliers they used, I had to get out a slip joint pliers to get enough leverage.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

NeuroticErotica posted:

Looking through them has been complicated since theyíre all so customized so I took two that are decently near me and in a reasonable price range and took them here to gauge the waters. Iím not in a rush, and am open to other options (and appreciate the info). I just needed to get some sort of baseline for all this.

I'm not sure about Californian laws, but I would definitely go the "buy a completed lower and make featureless, then buy upper to complete" route, since Unbranded AR has completed uppers available for ~$300. An Aero complete lower can be found for ~$200, or go even cheaper with Poverty Pony Anderson, which last I checked was ~$130 without buttstock. Buttstock can be installed easily without any specialized tools, so just add on an extra ~$40 for buttstock for ~$500. Throw on some Magpul flip-ups for ~$100 for a total of ~$600, or splurge a bit for a red dot from Primary Arms for ~$150 for just $50 more. There might be some more fees and random stuff that I missed, but I doubt it'll go over $800 and it'll be a new gun. As far as Unbranded goes for quality, they sell OEM parts to other companies, so chances are we're probably already using their stuff.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Arcella posted:

May add on an ambi safety and an extended mag release but we'll see. Got the lower together with only one mar of the finish, installing the bolt release roll pin.

Also, gently caress roll pins.

Ceros_X posted:

This is why I use Aero Precision M4E1 lower receivers. No roll pins for the bolt catch, trigger guard, etc. Not worried about scratching up anything during install and changing out bolt catch involves an Allen wrench, not a hammer and punch with cursing.

You can also drill and tap a normal AR15 bolt catch boss to use the Aero pins. I wouldn't recommend tearing down a completed lower to do it, but if you don't want to have to specifically buy Aero lowers (or you already have other unbuilt lowers), a few bucks in drill bits and taps, and away you go. I've done it on more than a dozen now with no issues.
Edit: I should sometime update that guide, you can buy the #35x6" drill bit cheaper at Home Depot, same as the #38 drill bit.

Also, if you REALLY hate roll pins, and only ever use polymer trigger guards like the Magpul MOE or the BCM Gunfighter, instead of spending $10 on a kit for a single trigger guard you can spend about $25 and get enough of the bushings and screws to do 25 trigger guards! i just use the front screw that comes with the trigger guard, use a 5/32" drill bit to drill out the rear hole, push a bushing into each side, then use the screws to lock them into place. Or if you ask me nicely, I could probably throw a couple into an envelope and send them to you.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 21, 2020

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sig MCX Virtus pistol. I know it's not an ar-15, but how do we feel about it? My LGS has one in grey and it's quite lovely looking. Think I may snag it tomorrow.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

dema posted:

Sig MCX Virtus pistol. I know it's not an ar-15, but how do we feel about it? My LGS has one in grey and it's quite lovely looking. Think I may snag it tomorrow.

I've shot one. It's nothing special in my opinion. I personally wouldn't spend the money on it but it was pleasant and fun to shoot and seems like a nice gun if you like the look/balance.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

dema posted:

I have no experience with them at all, but if it had a forwarded mounted non reciprocating charging handle, I would say it was theoretically the perfect replacement for the AR15. But it uses the normal stupid AR15 charging handle (I know, manual of arms training, blah blah blah), so it fall just short of being awesome. (also I guess their stupid angled shoulder on the muzzle threading, but there's adapters for that)

How much is it, and in what caliber and barrel length?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

dema posted:

It's cool. My friend really likes his. You may also find some more opinions in the sig thread.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's this guy in 556, 11.5" barrel: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-...tus-pistol.html

I'll probably just go buy it tomorrow morning and move my EOTECH, sling and light over to it. I have mlok stuff for the light. Then get a fixed rear sight for my M&P15.

Great that the ranges here are open again. I've missed shooting.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Dan Haga designs make an adapter to put a 1913 rail mount and brace on a zhukov stock that would be awesome on a tiny mcx virtus.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ygolonac posted:

Hrng. Long-term builds of the two shortys are being delayed due to low or no availability of the specific receivers I want, plus being a broke-rear end goon. :V The LaFrance is easy, pre-ban Colt Grey (or early XM, see below), standard deflector/assist uper and full-fence lower, yadda.

The bitch is really the 601 slabside lower for the N-23... the 80% ones (as well as the completed lowers)are sold out with a projected 2021 availability. The other half is getting the early XM Grey anodizing - sounds like US Anodizing is the one place that for sure does it, when they accept small orders, and $fuckyou pricing. Brownell's has the retro upper in that grey, but there's been complaints about it not being the correct grey, and/or not coming close to matching. (Some Arfcommer even got black instead of grey.)

There's a really nice moly coating available, but I'm not that trusting of my painting skilz - plus, I'm wanting to develop wear (some of it even legit).

In short,

Insert a giant made up of multiple s.

I got around to looking up the supashawty stock, which I'd maybe want two of because LaFrance too. LMT PDW Buttstock Kit, out of stock of course, only $499.

Might could be these things stay pistols w/CAR-stock profile "never shoulder pinky swear" braces.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ygolonac posted:

I got around to looking up the supashawty stock, which I'd maybe want two of because LaFrance too. LMT PDW Buttstock Kit, out of stock of course, only $499.
If you want a tiny stock, the best one on the length/$ scale is the LWRC UCIW. You can get them for ~$120.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Craptacular posted:

If you want a tiny stock, the best one on the length/$ scale is the LWRC UCIW. You can get them for ~$120.

Thing is, I do so love the CAR stock look. Wonder if I could just mod one of the other buffer-tube PDW stocks ro take the chopped stock?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Get the UCIW and a CAR stock then, and cut the extra off the stock like recoil did.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Aww itís so cute babbys first blaster.

e: lol still better than AK sight radius?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Slim Pickens posted:

Get the UCIW and a CAR stock then, and cut the extra off the stock like recoil did.

RecoilWeb posted:

We mated it with an LMT PDW stock, which looks like a regular receiver extension but a couple inches shorter. Yes, there are some corresponding internal changes as well (see our full review here). Using the LMT/cut CAR stock combo we were able to take off inches without making the N-23 appear too modern.

However, that does look like a better (not an entire rifle's cost of fancy stock for a fungun) solution; guess thar's what I get for not actually looking at that specific item.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

xxx

dema fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 24, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

This reminds me, at one point I was spitballing a hypothetical M16 PDW build using a replica of the M231 prototype wire stock. Then the stock I was looking at got sold to someone else and I haven't found another.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

Somebody Awful posted:

This reminds me, at one point I was spitballing a hypothetical M16 PDW build using a replica of the M231 prototype wire stock. Then the stock I was looking at got sold to someone else and I haven't found another.

There's always this: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.co.../mi-gau5a-p.htm

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Slim Pickens posted:

I can't look at this and not see a chode lol

Not trying to yuck anybody's yums, just that thing looks completely out of proportion to me. Maybe like a chibi weeb gun or something

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Not only is it ugly, it appropriates the name of a much cooler gun.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone recognize this logo?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

I suppose I could do the easy thing and just use all-prebuilt upper and lower.

HK416 upper, Anderson lower (not my pic)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ygolonac posted:

This is a masterful troll move, I love it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I saw that on facebook and was wondering if that was the joke. If I blew all my money on that upper and only had a poverty pony, I would absolutely do the same. (I'm a poor)

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Atticus_1354 posted:

You have a link to the original pic?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Ceros_X posted:

You have a link to the original pic?

That's all I have. Trying to help a buddy.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's all I have. Trying to help a buddy.
MAS Defense

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

I keep thinking about this and want to build a pistol/sbr. Didn't somebody post where a guy was making braces that looked like those?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I didn't realize Maserati made handguards.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I didn't realize Maserati made handguards.

thank you, I thought I was going momentarily insane

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yeah same, I was just thinking "I know I know that logo from somewhere..."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ygolonac posted:

The Rat posted:

This is a masterful troll move, I love it.

I more or less am doing the same thing with my Block II.

When I get my 416 upper I'm tempted to take photos like this to trigger all the "Andersons are for poors" crowd.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Android Apocalypse posted:

I more or less am doing the same thing with my Block II.

When I get my 416 upper I'm tempted to take photos like this to trigger all the "Andersons are for poors" crowd.

Make sure you post it as 100% Clone Correct

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Ceros_X posted:

Make sure you post it as 100% Clone Correct

A Pony Roll Mark is a Pony Roll Mark. There's no difference.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I saw that on facebook and was wondering if that was the joke. If I blew all my money on that upper and only had a poverty pony, I would absolutely do the same. (I'm a poor)

I shamelessly rock poverty ponies and will do so forever.*

*Unless Anderson goes all in fash and in that case I will shamefully rock poverty ponies.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Do people recommend low power variable optics as a do everything optic? That combined with an offset red dot? Just a magnified red dot?

Always have a back up iron sights? Even with a variable optic?

The rifle would be used for close to 400 or 500m ranges.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

9 times out of 10 a variable optic is gonna be a better choice than a red dot and magnifier. That wasnít necessarily the case 10+ years ago so you still see a lot of that around, but nowadays weíre spoiled for good variable optics options.

If itís something you wonít be shooting beyond a couple hundred yards very often, just a red dot is probably the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Red dots excel in terms of pure speed of acquisition and in unconventional positions due to the lack of an eyebox. It's much easier to see the dot if you can't get perfectly behind the rifle. They also work better with NVGs but that's probably not a concern for you.

Current LPVOs that optimize performance at 1x allow for almost equivalent close range performance to a dot while providing the option for increased magnification for finding target ID at distance at the cost of $$$ and weight.

It you want to see an example of where a RDS reigns supreme, take a look at InRangeTV's match content. Fellow goon SinistralRifleman, who also makes an appearance on the channel, has stated that this is due to the increased amount of target presentations combined with the relatively shorter distances and larger target sizes compared to a more traditional 3gun match.

Magnifiers can help see at distance but typically will have poor field of view and eyebox compared to equivalent magnification LPVOs. They will magnify EVERYTHING including the dot itself (don't listen to Eotech's marketing) which can make precise aiming more difficult and optimal eye relief for a magnifier may preclude the mounting of backup irons. Their biggest advantage is that they are removable which allows you to run a lighter set up 90% of the time and you can throw it on if you know in advance that you'll be doing distance stuff. Otherwise the price and weight of RDS+Magnifier compared to an LPVO are very similar.

Backup sights have their place but a lot depends on your use case. I like flip up irons on RDS guns but that's cause I have a habit of burning through batteries. I currently have them on my LPVO setup, but that's more because I'm too lazy to take them off and they don't really hurt anything. Offset red dots are easier to use then offset irons and very close in cost in $$$ and weight but some people like the no battery option. If your gun will be used primarily at longer range with some targets up close then they might be an option for you.

«62 »