Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

love the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If we're talking WWSD guns I'll post mine, even though I built mine before Ian and Karl started the whole WWSD thing <>

It's a OG cav-15 lower, used PSA upper, 16" 1:7 middy gas PSA CMV "premium" pencil profile barrel (bought back when PSA stuff was pretty decent. Don't remember who the OEM on it was), PSA bolt, I think the LPK stuff is mostly CMMG but I'm not sure - it's all stuff I dug out of my parts bin when I built it. Birdcage was sourced in the PIF thread, topped off with a 15" Midwest SS series freefloat handguard. IIRC I got it on sale cheap because it wasn't keymod or mlok and they were clearing out old stock. MBUIS and a Primary Arms red dot. I got lazy when it came to put the buffer retainer in, so when I clean it it just poops the buffer out to say hi to the hammer.

I put it together back in 2014 as a cheap, lightweight loaner rifle. I had a buddy who I went to the range with a lot and he was just chronically forgetting to bring his own AR. Like, we'd be at my place and get it in our heads to go shooting (we were both writing dissertations at the time and basically sitting in my living room at different desks keeping each other on task - sometimes we just hosed off to go shooting) and he wouldn't have his gun there so we'd end up using a couple of mine. I was kind of intrigued by the CAV 15 stuff at the time and liked the idea of a lightweight utility build so I did that. The idea was a lightweight build without going full idiot on the featherweight stuff.

It's a super fun little rifle. Shoots pretty well but it's just handy as gently caress. It's easily my wife's favorite center fire rifle. My other AR is heavy enough that she doesn't really like holding them it any extended period of time (in fairness, it's brick heavy - a WOA stainless target barreled upper on a lower with a UBR that is almost as heavy as a Garand) and 5.56 is tame enough that the added perceived recoil isn't really a problem.

I get why there's a little bit of a backlash. Ian and Karl are cool dudes and I have no doubt that they were doing a fun thought exercise, but any time you have someone internet famous who promotes a thing the actual values of it get exaggerated and what is a neat, good thing for certain uses all of a sudden becomes the alpha and omega.

Still, it's a gun that ends up in my trunk when I"m headed to the range a lot, and every time that I've got a new shooter or a guest with me. It's a fun gun and a build I can recommend to anyone who just wants a general purpose AR. Groups open up a bit if you're blasting through 100 rounds in a few minutes, but even that's not terrible. For typical range fuckery it works great.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

I canít find it now but there was a video where someone shot the hell out of a GWACS lower with another AR, then they built an AR using the shot-up lower and ran the hell out of it.

I got ya fam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhvi8c0MF4

They do a lot more than just shoot that poor lower. Run it over with a car, use it to do pushups, all sorts of dumb poo poo. The shooting it is at the end and is obviously the final bit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

Because not everyone trusts electronics in adverse conditions and many members of the firearms world like redundancy?

Iíve had a range trip with a good friend I see maybe twice a year saved by buis. I was just an idiot and left my PA red dot on and didnít have spare batteries in my bag because double idiot.

The mbuis paid for themselves with that alone and that was the lowest stakes kind of back up sight rear end saving possible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stravag posted:

The guy who made it makes all sorts of goofy ar uppers. .40, 10mm, 7.62 tokarev, etc

http://www.rmwxtreme.com/

762 tok uppers also saw a brief popular moment in like 2006 or so when crates of surplus ammo were dirt cheap and the AR market was expanding post AWB.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SinistralRifleman posted:

As for the lowers I want to sell lots of those. I will note youíll be getting a better product for a lower MSRP than when the CAV-15 was introduced 20 years ago.the original MSRP was $150. The MK3 will MSRP at $100

What are the differences between the mkiii and the old cav-15 lowers? Iíve got one of the old cavarms branded lowers and I love it. Any functional differences, longevity, etc?

Itís a light duty range toy in a temperate climate, so itís not like it gets run through the wringer.

EDit: congrats on getting these back to the market. Theyíre a great product.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What was the pin alignment issue on the old ones out of curiosity? Iíve never noticed any problem there with mine, but again range toy rifle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh. Mine fits in a PSA upper just fine. Fit's a tad bit on the tight side but no plastic deformation or anything when they're together. Just snug.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....surely when he says "twenty-five ninety-nine" he means one cent short of $25, right?

.....RIGHT?!?!?!!?!!

loooooooooooooooooool

For that price I at least want a german to sneer at me for being a petty civilian.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I still haven't seen Episode 9.

Or Endgame, for that matter.

Chappie was ok.

Lol same. I kinda feel like I should watch endgame but I really burned out on super heroes at the end there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Magpul could easily hire the necessary talent. And they wouldn't need to redo the R&D Bushmaster has already done. They would just buy that. Now replace magpul with any number of companies but it would be cool if it were magpul.

People might have bitter feelings about the past but people don't hate magpul overall.

The larger issue is whether Magpul wants to actually be in the gun business rather than the gun accessory business. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a SOT just so they can own post-samples to test their designs with, but there's a world of difference between doing that and actually setting up to manufacture and sell firearms.

Right now all they really have to worry about is making sure their mags aren't going directly to states where they're illegal. Cranking out guns of your own is where the ATF becomes a much closer acquaintance.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It also doesn't hurt that it's been a US service weapon since Vietnam at this point. Multiple generations of Americans who have gone anywhere near the military have learned its basic manual of arms. All that means it gets both the military service cachet (just look at what that did for the Beretta 92) as well as just plain having people familiar with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tuff Scrote posted:

Something I've been building

User name / mag combo up in here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I wonder if he gets barrel leading with the powder coat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

if there are more mag bans 458 socom might get real popular

Iím soooooo close to doing that as an SBR.

Probably would have already if a rifle I was looking for hadnít jumped out of the bushes and stole my gun fund.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Finally got a good long wrench for adjusting my gas block, been leaving it probably too wide open for a while now. When dialing in gas, should I use low pressure ammo? I've got a whole bunch of steel case Silver Bear kicking around that seems like it'd be a good choice.

You're going to want to adjust it to what you normally shoot. If it's dialed for a low pressure ammo and you start shooting a bunch of high pressure you could beat the gun up, cause extra wear, etc. If you dial for high pressure ammo and shoot a bunch of low pressure you're going to get malfunctions firing it because the gun will be under gassed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Craptacular posted:

That looks like a 16" barrel. If someone's trying to make as short a rifle as possible but still remain title I you'd think they'd use a 14.5" w/perm FH. If they're not trying to make a short rifle, then why not use literally any other stock?

Yeah, you're giving up a lot of cheekweld for space with those.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thermos posted:

The barrel needs to be 18.5" or longer for the rifle to retain it's non-restricted status in Canada.

Even so I'm kind of struggling to see the utility of the stock.

I mean if it's just "this looks cool" fine, whatever, fly your freak flag. But as far as being a gun goes that's going to be a lot more annoying to actually shoot and the package it collapses down into isn't that much smaller than what you'd get with a regular 'ol M4 stock. The difference in closed length between that and and M4 would be pretty noticeable if it had an 8 inch barrel, but on a rifle sized barrel? Not so much. Meanwhile getting a cheek weld's going to be awkward. Basically all the negatives of a folding wire stock without the main benefits.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

In case anybody has a Bear Creek Arsenal upper for some unfortunate reason, somebody at my local makerspace has had both a .223 Wylde and a .308 uppers be so out of spec they close on no-go gages. So definitely get your undocumented immigrant-built uppers double checked.

Does anyone know where Bear Creek Arsenal sources their barrels? Because on an AR headspace is set by the extension, and I don't think your typical upper builder isn't loving with those.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Way late to the giesele party but man the way he was acting is textbook why small business owners shouldnít interact with the public on social media.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iirc from the last time I did a lower you can also manage with a thin feeler gauge.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just as a rule of thumb the four parts you donít cheap out on with a rifle are the barrel, bolt, trigger, and whatever you use to aim with (irons, optics, etc). You can cover a multitude of sins with the rest of it but those are the ones that if they suck theyíll drag down any other nice parts you have.

Edit: within those four id personally rate the barrel and bolt the highest because theyíre the pressure bearing parts and the barrel is going to have the greatest influence on the raw mechanical accuracy of the gun.

Edit 2: just to clarify you also need to calibrate what ďcheaping outĒ entails to your use case. Something that wants to be a target rifle and something that wants to be a duty rifle are going to have different definitions for what cheaping out on the barrel means.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So the real question re: ch is

How much of a gently caress do you give? Iíd your life depends on it there are some options.

Iíd youíre into gun games and you donít want to gently caress up a match thatís a totally legit use case for fancy poo poo.

If you only ever shoot paper and dgaf if you lose a couple seconds on totally dry reloads thatĎa another one entirely. No shame in a USGI ch for that. I have a nice target rifle with the most vanilla of basic bitch charging handles.

Note that this didnít speaking poo poo of any use case. I have a rifle that Iíd trust my life with if someone was beating my door down and a ton that I have fun with at the range. No judgement, just identify what you needs it to do.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DakianDelomast posted:

dropped an Arisaka MLOK QD mount on it.

Please tell me me more above your ar17 AA mount.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Blergh, OpticsPlanet had a really good deal on MBUS flip-up sights, but a week later they still have no estimate on shipping date.

Can I cancel my order from them and get flip-ups somewhere else?

(Primary Arms, meanwhile, has their red dots in stock now with free shipping...any reason not to get the $90 ones?)

For general range fuckery? Theyíre great. Iíve got a couple that I got used and theyíve been great. Probably 5 years old now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Target Practice posted:

So reading up on 6.5 Grendel, it's basically an attempt to get .308 ballistics out of an AR-15 for long range shooting? That sounds pretty great. Anybody have experience with this?

One thing I noticed: the parent case for is .220 Russian, and the parent case for THAT is 7.62x39. Can you just go from 7.62 and trim/resize for 6.5?

Iím going to say probably without actually looking into it but eh, I donít think Iíd bother. I just checked midsouth and hornady 6.5 grendel brass is $40 for 100. Not quite dirt cheap but nothing like expensive.

I canít imagine x39 brass would be all that much cheaper.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn thatís green.

How do you like yours? I k ow there was a bit of drama with them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bogon posted:

I could not find the BCG but I found a photo of the bolt when I first started to notice there was an issue.

Itís worse than that now that was maybe 40 rounds of factory ammo.

Is that a goddamned chip on the front face of that lug?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus Christ. Maybe some of the more experienced gunfucklers can chime in but in my experience thatís, uh, not normal.

Iíd be on there phone asking for a refund if a part did that with such a low round count.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Buffer/spring issue? If it cycles fine by hand that points to something being wonky with the forces involved when it cycles by itself. Bolt running too fast or slow or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Plus a gas tube is both cheap and not that difficult to replace.

If gas tubes clogging was an issue the solution would be to put a new one on every 5k rounds or whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ArmyGroup303 posted:

2) The lifetime cost of the heavier barrel ends up being cheaper, i.e., fewer replacements over time.

Does it? The main thing that kills barrels is throat and muzzle erosion. FA is way worse for a barrel in that regard than even rapid mag dumps semi due to heat, but is the heavy profile going to soak enough in the chamber and at the end of the barrel to make that big a difference?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

There's also no shame in buying a preassembled lower and upper and sticking ' em together.

Something to note about this is that if all you do is slap together a pre assembled lower and a pre assembled upper you still save money. IIRC thereís a tax on complete firearms that doesnít apply if you get the halves separately.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you all want to talk about the political motives of various firearms companies, we have a thread for that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This isnít the thread for that. Iím not sure which one would be. Provably a thread in CSPAM or D&D. Maybe the general chat thread if itís just ďwow this is hosed upĒ commentary without a deeper political comment.

Either way not this thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anyone here have a go to for a rail mounted sling attachment? Have a FF tube upper I want to put a sling on. Already have the hardware for putting an inch of rail on the bottom or side of the tube (came with tube) just need an attachment.

Edit. Normal 2 point web attachment not a hook or anything. This is for a vickers sling I just found in a box and Iíd like to get this rifle carry-able.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Why no hook? You can easily add a hook or QD to that sling that opens up a lot of mounting options.

eh, itís a sling I found in a box of old poo poo along with other ca 2010 crap like mosin mag pouches and itís an AR thatís a range toy but that I want to get semi squared away without worrying too much about my DITS status

Basically just being cheap. Itís not a high priority thing.

Itís ok though ceros got me squared away.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Can ghosts have silver alerts?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, I gave up the OK sign and I wrote off the gadsen flag but they can eat my entire rear end in a top hat if they think I'm letting them have my hawaiian shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What caliber? Iíve been spending a disturbing amount of time looking at .458 sbr barrels.