Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Those diamonds on the stock are uneven as gently caress and it enrages me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I need to take some pictures.

Remember this, Internet - If Captain Log can build an AR, you sure as gently caress can.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Craptacular posted:

What up guys, I just built my first AR. How about this.

Iíve often transported my guns via tie dyed bass gig bag. Nobody would look twice in Nashville.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stravag posted:

I was gonna say 7.5 lebel but close enough

This has to be it.

Action-Bastard posted:

The bullet that lost an empire.... its .303 British ain't it?

I always felt like the British just got too tired to keep up with their empire rather than lose it. (THAT IS A JOKE)

Also...the target that shoots back?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

A bright green AR lower?!

I wouldn't care what it is, bright green gun anything that doesn't say ZOMBIE is my jam.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stravag posted:

There was a thread from someone who worked for a dice company and grogs came out of the woodwork to ask what kind of statistically relevant testing theyre were doing on these funky color d&d dice to ensure their fairness and were PISSED the company was basically just a reseller and was doing none

How would...how does fairness testing dice work? I'm confused. If they aren't weighted what's the problem?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Can someone put up some pictures in relation to all this pin talk? I get the references to stuff from the hardware store, but most of this is lost on me.

I still can't believe how loving fidgety it is to have little detente things with a spring under them held in place by something that is supposed to be removable.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Suck my autocorrected duck.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Dice manufacturing plays a huge part in the randomness of the final products due to how the throw physics are affected by finishing, paint application, cooling time in the mold, and other factors. Louis Zocchi does not have a ponytail, but he has spent several decades ranting about dice irregularities and making his own enhanced randomness dice.

The continuing (albeit smaller) problem with his GameScience dice, and pretty much all dice in general, is that the pips or numerals are all molded at an even depth which will still disrupt weight distibution, especially in six sided dice. I recall someone doing a Kickstarter way back that had actually accounted for this in a set of precision milled D6 that had varying depth of the pips to take the mass of the removed material of each pip and the pip layout into consideration to maximize even weight distribution as much as possible. Using harder metals like stainless steel and tungsten also aided in wear resistance to the die's edges. Doing that with a full standard 7-piece set of polyhedral dice, though, would unfortunately be almost impossible from a market standpoint given they'd probably cost into the quadruple digits given the immense added complexity.

I could get this for gambling dice. But slight, slight, slight things like that matter to role players?

Why am I even typing that. Of course they do.

Seems like people could get dice with the graphics printed and everything else just smooth.

I'm going to spend way too much time in bed thinking about this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Android Apocalypse posted:

Karl going off on Taran Tactical is pretty drat funny.

What's the abridged version? I've almost bought some of their Glock poo poo a few times but I really like my Hyve mag.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Internet Wizard posted:

Taran Butlerís former social media person posted some videos from Taranís phone of him making racist/misogynist jokes from a few years back

Oooooooh that's not a good thing.

I still need to throw this Strike Industries mag extension in the trash...if it wasn't somehow fused to the mag it was attached.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Strike Industries' logo is kinda sorta dangerously close to the Schutzstaffel logo.

There are so few non-garbage companies in the gun industry. I say this as a goon that still has Strike Industries & Taran Tactical stuff.

Got way beaten. Their logo, at least the one on my mag extension, is as loving SS Lightning Bolt as you can get.

It's also loving impossible to get back off. I'm contemplating using a hand saw.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Rontalvos posted:

I'll happily take this off your hands if you want rid of it that badly.

Iím wanting to salvage the mag but the loving thing welded itself on.

I will prevail.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Rontalvos posted:

What so special about the mag it's attached to?

I want to keep using it. The mag isnít broken, I just dislike the baseplate for both the creepy company emblem and how enormously fat it is. The Vickers and Hyve ones are infinitely better.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Where was the add for those funky colored lowers? I went to KEArms and couldn't find them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Beardless posted:

The funky colored lowers were Mk 2 CAV 15s made by GWACS, who are now out of business. KE arms is making Mk 3s, and as far as I know they aren't planning to make them in colors other than black and FDE.

Thanks man.

God Damnit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

You can still snag one on the used market if you really wanted one that bad.

I guess towards the end a bunch of WWSD buyers had to contend with the pink and green ones but they might be dumping them in favor of the new MK3

I was just planning on bookmarking them for a rainy day. A semi 22 and Ruger PCC are next on my list of guns to buy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What happens if you have a station wagon? Crimes?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

We should also probably know what state youíre in, because hoo boy some places have restrictions.

Iím hoping you donít say California.

Also, I built a stripped lower into a functioning lower in one sitting with a YouTube guide. Itís pretty hard to gently caress up. You will, however, launch a tiny piece into oblivion.

You can do 6.5 Grendel in an AR-15 without going into AR-10 territory.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

Here are some dumb lowers I haven't posted in a while. I'll build them into final form this year I swear.

I need to know what jokes are being made here.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've got a question I've been kicking around. My ARs are 6.5 Grendel, 7.62, and 5.56. What would be involved in turning one of those to a PCC or even a .22 shooting rifle? I really need a place to practice with my ARs. I'm sure we will finally get a Portland shoot together when it gets a little less freezing and rainy, but I'd really like to be able to practice at my pistol range.

I'm eventually going to get a Ruger free floated PCC, but I'm trying to gauge the price of that vs. price of converting an AR.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When people talk about 9mm PCC recoil being unpleasant, whatís a good comparison? I grew up shooting magnum three inch 12 gauge shot shells and 45-70 out of a carbine. I canít picture how 9mm could be bad in any platform.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Huh. I guess Iíll have to experience it myself. Iíve shot a lot of pistols over the years, but my rifle experience is limited.

Iím still probably going to trade an AR for a PCC. Not sure if I should ditch the 7.62 Aero/Stoner or the 6.5 Grendel - Ruger/Stoner.

Or just keep everything.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You people are too good to me. Iíve got a thousand ways to go now.

Also - Ciener 22 kits. They can be bought for tens of dollars. Worth it?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hey Action, even if we have to go on a long trek together to some random field, I'd be more than happy to let you use my three ARs and different red dots and holos in any combination if it helps you out. I've put Oregon Goon Shoot on hold until it warms up, but my poo poo is just sitting around right now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol they all dead gramps.

I know Die Antwoort are performance artists (that I really enjoy) but Jesus Christ, Ninja really looks like a career criminal who would kill you with a knife hiding in his butt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mewse posted:

Thatís what his character is in that movie (chappie)

I need to watch that. Is it a good film? They are some of the greatest living performance artists, but even good performance art is only tolerable in small doses.

I loving love this song and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Monolith. posted:

Well, this happened on Saturday. Still need to wrench down the flash hider as it didn't come with a crush washer but it was an interesting experience to assemble and not lose any detents. This gun has so many little fiddly tiny bits that love to fly everywhere.

That gun looks like itís from the future.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I need to remember there is a goon presence up there. I have a buddy who lives there that somehow hosed up and made me a groomsman at his wedding. I need to meet his kids, sooner or later.

I feel like a flight would be stupid cheap.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Flights up to Seattle from Portland are more expensive than driving (duh) but you don't have to deal with the traffic from leaving Portland or entering Seattle.

My favorite way to get up there is by train. Kind of splits the difference price-wise between driving & flying, takes as long as it is to drive, and is completely stress-free.

Any drive much longer than fifteen minutes starts to become really painful. I would loving love a train ride, as I grew up taking them around Scotland. They are super relaxing.

I've got a very busy month coming up with...stuff. But if that sorts out favorably I'll be looking to take a long weekend somewhere.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They were recommended on ar15.com. Is there a pretty comparable alternative? I am trying gauge other sites without entirely knowing what I am looking for--including the OP.

Also in regards to savings: are the parts generally going to be cheaper at any time than getting the whole? Or is it a game of timing sales?

I apologize if this was already mentioned, but it's a rule in our forums to post a credit card protection service with any PSA deals. They are that hosed up with losing credit card info. I bet we have tens of people who have been compromised by them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bob Mundon posted:

Especially when their MPR has been popping up sub $600. Want to say last week it was like $560, and that's with the free float mlok, upgraded stock, and two stage trigger.

For what it's worth Ive only bought accessories from PSA (come onnnnnn mega reloading die sale again), but my best friend has had nothing but great luck with PSA, up to and including his main 3 gun rifle is a PSA lower and a Radical 7.62x39 upper. According to the internet he should already be dead.

I've got one. I enjoy it, but I'm not a heavy rifle user in any capacity. It was a ton of features for beginner rifle prices.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That already got brought up in another thread.

Now Iíve found out about all the anodized purple parts I must have.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Sooo....how is that synthetic ammo?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Have I really reached the point in my life where I'm going to start collecting purple ammo?

Yes. Yes I have.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Prepping isn't necessarily a dirty word around here. The often associated xenophobia or paranoia that can accompany it is, however.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh man, I need one of those now. Or three. Either/Or.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

About those Hogue AR grips -

I've got almost all my gun grips from Ebay for cheap, including some really nice ones. On Ebay, I absolutely cannot find those listed new or used. Does Ebay have some "NO AR!!!" thing I don't know about? I bought some AR parts from there before, so I don't think that's the case.

Thirty bucks for a rubber Hogue seems a bit steep. Where should I look? AR isn't the best search term in the world.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm an idiot that likes the Hogue shade of purple and neon green.

Miso Beno posted:

They did some kind of huge ar parts purge a while back.

I did a lot of my Secret Santa shopping on Ebay, including the two brakes I got. When did that go down? They were listed as brakes, but I don't know if it said AR or just the caliber.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

I have a full purple ALG/houge build Iím never going to start but I have all the parts.

Why not build it? ...why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

Backlog. Reasons. Maybe one day if these forums are still around.

You should do it sooner.