Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

californiasushi posted:

carbon fiber hg's are nice when you first use them, but the edges around the holes cut into them tend to fray/wear over time. i wouldn't rely on that to hold zero for the laser illuminator after being banged around for a while

My gun game of choice involves a lot of shooting from rocks, trees, fence posts, and anything else you can. I have seen exactly one carbon handguard show up and by the end of the day it was absolutely torn up on the bottom and he was planning on replacing it. I would never sacrifice the durability of aluminum to save a few ounces even if I'm carrying the rifle for 6 miles and sprinting around.

An example of the terrain that destroyed the CF handguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Super 3 posted:

Anyone have any examples of decent looking A2 style detachable front sights they like? Need some ideas.

Scalarworks fixed sights are awesome. Otherwise DD are my favorite.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Get a flashlight, don't shoot a family member. The brighter the better, anybody saying there's such a thing as "too bright" and that the reflection will blind you either has walls covered in mirrors or no idea what they're talking about.

Seriously. Spend $100 on a light and dont shoot your family and friends. Get a TLR1hl and you can use it on a pistol or a rifle.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Stravag posted:

No family just me and the dog but i will get a light. Just got laid off but as soon as i can finish building it will be trijicon reflex sight, light, then buis

PM me your address and I will ship you an Inforce WML I got for free. It's not the brightest but it is far better than nothing.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Stravag posted:

Its a 10.5 inch 9x25 ar pistol. The complex started making a real slide the last 6 months and 9x25 thinks 3a is cute

Really truly a 9x25 AR? Do you have a picture of this ridiculous thing?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Stravag posted:

For you? Shiiiiit

You see when a mommy 9mm round and a daddy 10mm round love each other very much...

Holy poo poo I love that and now I kind of want one.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Stravag posted:

The guy who made it makes all sorts of goofy ar uppers. .40, 10mm, 7.62 tokarev, etc

http://www.rmwxtreme.com/

He has grease gun lowers and I have a .45acp barrel sitting in a box. I am definitely saving that website.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Thanks for the code.

Cant wait to try the new lower and see if it clicks better with me then the other version did.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Stravag posted:

Well thats one way to get a magnified red dot i guess.

That's the roots of red dot magnifiers. Things we take for granted come from dudes combining poo poo and customizing it to achieve a goal.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

I would strongly encourage spending the money on an aero rifle over the PSA. The overall build quality and customer service are miles ahead.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

dema posted:

How is the Aero M4E1 Builder Set w/ 9" ATLAS handguard? Thinking of building up a pistol with one of those.

If they release a set that I like. The current set isn't my jam, not that it's in stock anyway. But I really liked the previous Vietnam tiger one.

They are good quality. Also some old sets can be found in stock at various websites and gunbroker.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

gileadexile posted:

What extra needs to be done if I buy an upper without an FSB? Is pinning the front sight something I could do myself?

No. Buy a barrel with a fsp already installed. There are plenty of options for barrels and uppers of any length with a fsp. What are you looking for?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Are FSBs that much more of an rear end-pain to install than a typical under-the-handguard gas block?

Yes. They have taper pins and you better be dead on with your positioning. Compare to a gas block that you can just use a jig to dimple the barrel with a hand drill and you're set for life.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

These guys have a ton of barrels from good manufacturers like rosco with fsp already installed.

https://www.tntesales.com/

Or Sons of Liberty Gunworks will build you whatever you want and it will be very high quality.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Chupacabra posted:

I'm also looking into getting a shorty AR and from what I've gleaned from various places is that 11.5" is in the sweet spot in terms of reliability.

I'll be getting an 11.5" from Aero Precision when my WWSD polymer lower aarives and gets NFA tax stamped.

12.5" is cool too and rosco is releasing one in conjunction with sage dynamics that looks really nice.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I really like Sons of Liberty Gunworks,

Well I wouldnt recommend SOLGW if you dont want to support an alcoholic trump supporter who definitely doesnt just shut up and produce guns.

MantisClaw posted:

Daniel Defense are all decent mid level guns.

Skip DD for a suppressed gun.

Really best bang for your buck is to build your own. Might even be able to find a local goon with tools who will help you.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

poo poo, did I miss something about them?

Well he's a piece of poo poo who has multiple DUI's and day drinks at the shop. It's pretty obvious if you ever meet him in person. Also the shop has hosed up several orders to dealer friends and individuals I know so I would skip doing business based on that alone. They even cerakoted the wrong rifle of someone who dropped off 2 rifles to he worked on and overshot the delivery date by months. He had to go to their shop in person multiple times to get it fixed.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Giving it some thought my current midtier upper easy build is a rosco sauce pack, aero upper (or other quality upper), and rail of your choice. I have a huge love of centurion rails right now but the world is your oyster. That gives you a solid barrel and internals at a great price point. Or just buy their 10.5" upper if that's the length you want.

https://www.roscomanufacturing.com/shop/upper-receiver-groups/bloodline-urgs/bloodline-10-5-completed-upper/

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 29, 2020

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

PookBear posted:

the people telling you to just get two are people that have 10 lol.

The only possible annoyance would be if you want to use different optics that require vastly different cheek welds.

Other possible annoyances include not being able to share with a friend at the range, not being able to post group photos on instagram, not being able to pretend to be John Woo, not being able to optimize the lowers with the best trigger/stock/buffer/buffer spring/etc for the upper, and getting made fun of by your friends. Also the lower is easy to slowly build and not that expensive in the long run unless you live in a ban state or other special circumstances.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

mischief posted:

That's how all of the single stamp baby guns I've seen worked. The Spikes Black Widow I've got is integral with a plate on the front to remove the baffle stack for cleaning, single stamp.
I don't know poo poo about welding so I can't say how practical it is to do it in a home shop though.

I asked a similar question about a 14.5" barrel with a Gemtech Trek and everyone recommended against it.

If you're going to go to all the trouble and expense why not go shorter than 14.5"? The best solution would be a homebrew version of the tacsol .22 six barrels so you could still swap your suppressor.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 12, 2020

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

mischief posted:

I ended up selling the 14.5" barrels and doing just that.

Did you do the suppressor pin/weld or build a pistol/sbr? With braces as cheap and good as they are right now and form 1 times so short it's hard to imagine a need to weld your suppressor to the barrel.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

PookBear posted:

.350 Legend is a straight walled cartridge only useful for hunting as a work around weird hunting laws.

That doesnt change anything I said. You cant imagine wanting a different stock/grip/trigger for a hunting rifle verse a blaster? Also running 2 drastically different cartridges would increase the chance I would want to have a different buffer/buffer spring for each.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Leapers UTG A2 Stock kit: $56 free shipping

If you really want an a2 stock I will sell you a better set for $50.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

dema posted:

Thinking of snagging a Geissele URG-I, 10.3" complete upper group and building a pistol around that. Be my first time putting one together. Talk me out of it?

Geissele qc has dropped and they released a lot of poorly machined stuff after their black Friday sale. I have personally washed my hands of them after seeing that and Bills poor responses to customer complaints.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Arfcom had a big thread where Bill personally told people that poor machining was fine because it was functional and milspec. The entire black Friday sale was a fiasco. I will dig up some links.

Start here. Screenshots are below. My biggest concern was how lovely Bill acted when responding to valid customer complaints and how poorly they handled the situation. If anyone wants to make a big purchase from them I will sell my 35% coupon because I really don't want to give them any more money.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/The-OFFICIAL-I-cancelled-my-black-Friday-order-thread/444-294858/

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 18, 2020

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Sigh. I don’t know why they don’t just cerakote. Hard anodize colors are very limited. Better to just hard anodize and then paint on top of it.

The inconsistent anodizing is less of an issue than the sub anderson levels of machining on a product that is supposedly a premium product. Then big G just blows it off as good enough because it's still milspec. From a company that was built on their skill as machinists and names their products super precision you would expect a better eye toward the finer details. Then on top of that making a lot of broken promises and calling customers liars when they point that out is not a good look for any business.

For anyone who didn't want to dig through the link.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 18, 2020

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

The Rat posted:

Not a good look at all. I'm confident in my older Geissele rails, but I won't be picking up a Mk16. At this point the first place I'd check for rails is Hodge, if I can find one in stock.

Hodge is awesome. My current go to is centurion arms. Not as stiff but light and plenty sturdy for my needs.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

dema posted:

Ah, I guess all the drama is why Geissele actually has uppers in stock.

Any other suggestions?

Rosco manufacturing

https://youtu.be/WpD3EZfjvl4

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 19, 2020

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Tyro posted:

Obviously you have to do a single use Trust named "Mattel's Firearms Division", can't do anything about the location though

Or not single use and have an entire collection of GI Joe looking guns.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

Here's something a little vague, not sure how else to phrase it.

These fancy $100 +/- charging handles, are they worth the jump in price over a milspec charging handle?

The charging handle is one of the parts you will interact with regularly. When I started shooting, reloading, and really manipulating the rifle in the clock these things became more important to me. So I will happily spend the money on a good charging handle and quality ambisafety. I have also seen bottom of the barrel charging handles get twisted up and lock up a rifle so at least a mild upgrade is worth it for everyone.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Please tell me me more above your ar17 AA mount.

Arisaka makes such dope mounts and accessories and I have no idea why they chose such an unrelated name.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Radical Firearms via Optics Planet, I'm assuming BigRona related.

Edit: I probably wouldn't have ordered it if it had shown not in stock. At this point I'm just going to wait and forget about it so it's like christmas when it finally shows up.

I would get my money back and not buy a radical. They are not a great company and have had some major qc problems. Theres a reason they are dirt cheap.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Has there been anything recent? I recall the incident over a year ago. Not sure if the same guy is still there. I got a radical AR way back in 2014 and it was made well but I can't speak to anything after that.

No but I haven't seen any evidence that they have improved. With so many good options out there at affordable prices I wouldnt give money to a company that had barrels unscrewing from the extension.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Ok. I will look into it. Best resources out there to walk me through it?

You literally just push the spring and buffer in to the hole.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

FauxhawkSatan posted:

Got a odg alphabet g rail and put it on my tanodized 11.5in build. Should I keep it and swap the stock/grip with odg or stick to all tan?

The all fde looks way better. Build an fbi clone for the odg rail.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

What barrel did you go with? I still have an upper sitting around waiting for a .300blk build.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Q makes some cool designs but looking at his posting you'd think they're literally the only people in the industry capable of good ideas

Looking at his personal life you'd think they're literally incapable of making a good decision.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

dema posted:

Sig MCX Virtus pistol. I know it's not an ar-15, but how do we feel about it? My LGS has one in grey and it's quite lovely looking. Think I may snag it tomorrow.

It's cool. My friend really likes his. You may also find some more opinions in the sig thread.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Dan Haga designs make an adapter to put a 1913 rail mount and brace on a zhukov stock that would be awesome on a tiny mcx virtus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone recognize this logo?