Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you don't get an ambi lower (Aero, LMT, KAC, Radian) I find a good bolt release can help. I will shill the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch until the cows come home as IMO it's the right shape to easily hit with your left index finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

gileadexile posted:

So after deciding on an Aero Precision upper, I'm still a bit unsure on things like a lower parts kit. On one page I read they're all the same, on another I hear not to go too cheap, so deal me in, dafuq ya'll?

Is CMMG garbo?

Also, good buffer and spring recommendation? I want a nice soft shooter for my wife and I both and don't want her good habits (or mine, poo poo!) to go away because of a dumb mistake on my part.

CMMG is fine, if unspectacular.

As for buffer & spring it's dependent on your barrel length & type of gas you're running, as well if you're running a suppressor or not. The softest shooting would be ideally be rifle length. To get that with an adjustable stock you'll look at the VLTOR A5 system. Otherwise you can go old-school with a fixed stock.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

gileadexile posted:

The upper is a 16" mid length gas system.

I've run a standard carbine buffer & spring on my previous builds using the same setup & they worked fine. I only put in an H2 buffer on my Block II because I wanted it to cycle reliably when running blanks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Even with your low-level light I recommend a gun-mounted light. You never know when power goes out & you're going to need to rely on a separate light source.

DeesGrandpa posted:

I had to do that once, def saved my butt. Thankfully all my current dots (excepting my ancient aimpoint Comp M2) have truly insane battery lives and I've not had an issue, though I still keep spare batteries on whatever rifle has a dot.

Also, off topic, but go find your headlamp, wrap a change of batteries in a ziplock or shrinkwrap if you got it, then duct tape it to the strap. Always helpful in a pinch.

Hah I just checked my headlamp I keep in my car & the batteries are dead. Definitely taping a backup set of batteries to the band now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shaocaholica posted:

There’s technically a ‘too bright’ it just doesn’t exist in a hand sized light....yet. I could see something like a 3000lumen light being way too bright indoors with white walls if your eyes are dark adjusted/just woke up and the light is setup to go into its brightest mode. But for normal run of the mill lights, no.
Anecdotal evidence of 1 but I switched over from an old 110 lumen Surefire X300 to the new X300U-B throwing about 1000 lumens and it completely washed out my RMR06 when shooting from my Glock 19 at 10 yards. I had to dial it up about 3 steps to see it but it irritates me that I now have to either run my dot brighter in the day & lose some fine aiming or run irons at night if I utilize my x300.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Surefire does make filters, but then I'd worry about compatibility with my Safariland holster.

I'll look into ND gel. Or trade this X300U-B for a X300V.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Anecdotal from one source (my friend) but Columbia River Arms was incredibly slow in getting a custom barrel done. If you're not in a rush then they're GTG.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The fact the lower is available by itself at a decent price is pretty dang cool.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dude, Karl's SHOT shitposts are gems.

Karl going off on Taran Tactical is pretty drat funny.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Taran getting really creepy with his model/employee/gun bunny Jade(?)

Karl making jokes at SHOT Show 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Strike Industries' logo is kinda sorta dangerously close to the Schutzstaffel logo.

There are so few non-garbage companies in the gun industry. I say this as a goon that still has Strike Industries & Taran Tactical stuff.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ah, that's new to me.

Good for them, I guess.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

IIRC "better" grip angle means it's more vertical than the traditional A1/A2 grip. Modern AR shooting moved away from a bladed stance with a chicken wing so the grips are now being made to accomodate that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Can't speak for the barrels but I used an Expo Arms stripped upper to build a bare-bones gun. So far it's been okay.

Take that as you will.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Wasn't Bushmaster one of the only companies making AR's during the AWB?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you go for the Faxon barrel I'd suggest checking other sites besides Optics Planet. I've had... mixed results dealing with them, with my positive interactions being when I used their Amazon storefront.

When you say "cheap but working optic," what parameters do you have? Do you want something magnified to reach out? Quick acquisition for run & gun? I've been happy with the bare bone Primary Arms red dots, but the new(er) Holosun units are pretty sweet too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I've seen sub-$1k ACOG's on Reddit, sometimes as low as $500. Then again what one considers "cheap" is relative.

Primary Arms has a scope for $289.99 new if that's within your budget.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That stinks. A friend of a friend got a free AAC suppressor for getting their logo tattooed on his body. Got to shoot it on a SBR AR & it was pretty nice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hell yeah give me the real ACR. Also the FMG-9 while we're at it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I wanted that SBR ACR that Remington "improved" with the swappable pistol grip & the proto-MLOK fore end.

The SAS stock for the FN SCAR makes that platform look 87% less ugly and will be the closest I'd likely get to having my favorite space gun from FPS shooters.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Uh... Chappie has some interesting ideas & looks cool, but I don't consider it a good film.

Neill Blomkamp caught lightning in a bottle with District 9, but his subsequent major films (Elysium, Chappie) are big on ideas but bad at execution IMO.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Oh no where am I going to get my cheap AK parts?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I vaguely remember seeing some rumor/pics of some Polish company getting the ACR design for their military. I'm guessing it's 99% rumor but one can dream.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you want to see what happens when a company that makes gun parts starts making full guns, look at what's happening at Geissele. Their Super Duty rifles were announced & were up for sale on Black Friday, and the overwhelming demand actually crashed their site. They are already behind on their 8-week shipping promise, and folks are angry on the internet over various issues (anodizing not matching, weird/substandard machining, big MOA shifts on complete rifles).

That said, I'd like a real gun manufacturer to get the ACR/Masada up & running again.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I was kind of wondering how the AR-15 pattern became universal. Armalite didn't hold onto the patent?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

For me the ACR's appeal was

A. Aesthetics. Looks futuristic as hell but actually functional.

B. Fully ambidextrous. Being a lefty meant those controls were a big selling point.

C. Video games. C'mon. Ghost used it in Modern Warfare 2.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Plot twist: polymer ends up being heavier than aluminum if you want it to have the same strength.

The Rat posted:

11lbs unloaded with the can

Chonki boi postin':

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Flights up to Seattle from Portland are more expensive than driving (duh) but you don't have to deal with the traffic from leaving Portland or entering Seattle.

My favorite way to get up there is by train. Kind of splits the difference price-wise between driving & flying, takes as long as it is to drive, and is completely stress-free.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I bet using an A5/rifle length buffer would help a lot if you're using .308/7.62x51mm.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Soupisgood posted:

Second potential dumb question, where can I find an AK 74 Muzzle Brake threaded for AR barrels?

Check out CNC Warrior.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

For those goons that own(ed) and or use(d) HK416's, are the barrels proprietary or can I drop a regular AR-15 barrel into one? This is all with the idea that the gas/piston length is the same.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

A.o.D. posted:

Why not just make an ak-15 pistol?

Tell me more about this AK-15 pistol. Is this the infamous "an AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39 is a mistake" or is this an actual AK?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I run a Strike Industries HEX Selector 60/90° 3-in-one with my Brownells Geissele B-GRF Rapid Fire Trigger with no issues. I also run a KAC ambidextrous mag release with cold-weather button. My old AR-15 had a Norgon ambi mag release which was nice, if a bit smaller than the KAC one.

My future build is having a Radion Talon, which when paired with my ALG ACT feels good dry-firing so far.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Since i have short fingers the KAC ambi mag release is perfect. Those that mimic the Troy style are too far down for me to activate, which is the reason I don't care for the LMT MARS-L lower I got a while ago.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

gileadexile posted:

Few more questions about my AR build. I'm picking up my lower tomorrow, and I've pretty much decided on an Aero upper with a Magpul handguard. Probably go with an Aero phosphate BCG, and maybe, unless I hear bad good thoughts, about an Aero lower parts kit and trigger.

The thing that I'm having some misgivings about is the buffer and stock. I'm wanting mil spec, but the thing I'm having a hard time deciding on buffer weight. I'd like something soft shooting, but reliable too.

I don't really have a desire for free float this or red dot that at this point, and I really like the looks of a dissipator, with that sight pushed way out there and a clean, no barrel look, but again, way over any experience I may have.

I do plan on going full A1 or A2 like my dad carried in the first Gulf War at some point in the future, but that's later on a different lower.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but work is slow and I have all sorts of tabs open with AR parts.

IIRC having a different buffer weight won't affect the "softness" of the recoil as much as your gas tube length. By the sounds of it you're running a carbine system, which will in its nature have a sharper recoil than a midlength or rifle gas. The only thing a heavier buffer will do is slow down the speed of how fast your bolt moves, which in turn can help with cycling & parts wear.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Yeah Dissipator builds are cool. If you go that way you could hide a mid length gas system under the handguard & have it run super smooth, with the FSB there just for looks (and to hold the handguard in place).

The only way to get a carbine gas system to shoot "softer" is with an adjustable gas block to help bleed off the excess stuff going back. Good news: they make adjustable front sight posts if you really want one for your build.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Yeah I go to Primary Arms 1st when buying any standard gun stuff as they've always done good by me. That said they do follow market price so if I find a place that's cheaper I consider that a real deal.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

One of my friends had to do some modding to his PDQ to fit and in the end he had issues with his gen 2 PMAG's.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I want to see more non-lead ammo on the market, as IIRC CA is looking to ban lead ammo for "environmental concerns."

I mean, they do have a point, but that's another thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Slim Pickens posted:

Plenty of 7.62x39 left, get an ak or build a mistake?

I'd like to know more about this 7.62x39mm ammo you speak of.