Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I also built up a lightweight gun around the time InRange was developing the WWSD, but I went in with a few different constraints. I wanted a lightweight rifle, because I had a spare pre-ban (MD) lower, and post-ban stuff has to have a heavy barrel.

I decided I didn't want to mess with lightened operating components or exotic materials (no tennalum, no carbon fiber, no titanium), and didn't want to sacrifice functionality over something like a stock 6920 to save weight.

I looked at the weight of a clamshell/fsb build first, and quickly realized a free float setup would be lighter and provide more accuracy, a better sight radius with irons, better accessory compatibility, and better gripping surface

I ended up picking ALG, mostly out of familiarity and cost, they're a really solid buy for the price, easy to install, have in-built QD, and come in purple!

With all the talk that Faxon did about their manufacturing process, they sold me on their pencil profile, I wanted the pinned 14.5" but thanks to WWSD they were out of stock forever and so I got a 16" instead, and it is good. Doesn't shift around when hot, at least that I've noticed, hasn't let me down in long 2-gun stages.

Upper is an Aero FA-delete, BCG is toolcraft, charging handle is Radian LT, optic is a Vortex SPARC II.

For the lower, I went full ambi with a Norton mag catch, PDQ bolt catch, and a KE ambi safety. H1 buffer, after an H2 was a little too much and was causing failures to lock open. Stock is the super light MFT minimalist.

Trigger is a LaRue MBT-2S flat bow, which I'm not so sure about on this gun, but I need more time. The balance between the stage weights seem... weird, for that gun, I might change to a S3G or go back to a single stage. Good trigger, just maybe not for that purpose.

Total unloaded weight is just over 6 lbs with everything pictured. Super handy, balances perfectly. Little punchy on recoil compared to my heavier, braked guns, but that's to be expected in a trade off for lightness, nothing terrible.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Chomnky boys?

It's actually not bad without the can, base gun is 9lb 14.1oz, despite the size and hefty scope. Can and bipod and ammo rapidly put it into chonky territory, but not bad for a DMR.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 11, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

The norgon design is solid. If you're feeling cheap, cdnn sells a no-name one for like $25, I've got it on my 2-gun rifle and it works just fine. I went with PDQ catch, a KE arms ambi safety, and a Radian Raptor LT to round out all the controls to be fully ambi.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I really wish someone would make midlength triangle handguards

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Hello yes I'd like to subscribe to your newsleter

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

New Concept Hole posted:

Fun fact: Portuguese retro AR10 handguards can fit on mid-length AR15s

ohhh poo poo that's rad

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Thanks, ThinkFear, the adapters worked perfectly and this thing owns

(my dremel hand could use a bit more practice though, i think i'm gonna have a re-do with another set and proper tools after my shelter in place is lifted)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Nice work. It's a good-looking, straightforward shooter. How's it handle and balance?

It's pretty handy, balances pretty nice. Can't offer any shooting impressions because my range is closed

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Soupisgood posted:

Gotta party like it's 1994.

Aww yeah pseudoretro party

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Miso Beno posted:

Doesn't Appleseed allow optics, and isn't the program mostly geared towards 22LRs?

Yes and yes. Ideal gun is an iron sighted semi auto 22, but you can shoot centerfire at most clinics (and nearly all KD programs are built around centerfires, but you have to complete the 25y program first)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

boxen posted:

Yeah Appleseed allows optics. I think you need the same number to qualify rifleman for both (210/250?) but for the next level up (distinguished rifleman, I think) it's 230 for irons and 240 for optics. This is all based on the 25yard ones I've done.

Correct, it's 230 for irons and 240 for optics for DR. Took me 3 attempts to get from 229 to 230, but I got there in the end.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Yeah I've only heard it's pretty solid. If I didn't already have 4 5.56 uppers I might wanna get the 12.5" one, but I really can't justify it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Arcella posted:

You ever have an issue with heat warping the polymer of those handstops? I've seen a couple reviews mention it.

Fair enough
VVV

Yeah, in my experience they haven't ad any issues when you stay inside the realm of fire schedules that an air-cooled carbine is supposed to. If you're dumping LMG levels of fire through a gun, beyond what an AR is built for, then I'd expect some issues with polymer.

e: designed sustained ROF for a M16 is 12-15 rounds per minute, and when you're actually aiming shots on targets, is pretty hard to exceed that

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I'd be worried about messing with the amount of available weight on a blowback system. CMMG's bolt has an area to add weight to tune it in to your load/suppressor, etc. Chopping that off it's probably not gonna help

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

gently caress yeah carry handles

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Uhh, m4a1 absolutely has a much heavier barrel profile

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Help, I've just bought a 50 Beowulf upper, I'm afraid I'm gonna go loud whispering everywhere now

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Also whoever said to rocksett muzzle devices that are already torqued down onto a crush washer must really like belts and suspenders. I've never seen a muzzle device come loose on a properly tightened crush washer.

Rocksett is for when you're timing a muzzle device with shims for a suppressor, so it doesn't spin off inside your can when it inevitably gets stuck.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Agrocrag posted:

I made a little loop with paracord for my AR

Careful, that area gets really hot, nylon might not last very long there.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Where my big-bore boys at?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cyrano4747 posted:

What caliber? I’ve been spending a disturbing amount of time looking at .458 sbr barrels.

12.7x42mm (the non-trademarked name for 50 Beowulf)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

That 50 beo up there is BCA, haven't really put it through it's paces yet, I would say to disassemble and reassemble it with thread locker and appropriate torque. Some screws were loose, some too tight.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

CMMG for 22, just get the BetterMag adapter so you can use S&W 15-22 magazines instead of the ciener/CMMG/black dog pattern

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Yeah but most of the point is having a working bolt hold open, at least to me. The other part is ease of reloading them.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

This brake is wild

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

My beo is running a little hard with an H2 buffer but it's within operating limits. This makes me want to see if I can find some stupidly big .500" thumb of a bullet to huck at targets slowly

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

This silly gun is gonna lead me to start casting and buying custom huge molds and quickload to make stupid big bullets for the beo, isn't it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MDer here. The definition of what counts as heavy is... vague at best, but this is the current idea.

If the barrel is:
- Advertised as Heavy or HBAR
- Marked as Heavy or HBAR
- or, the outer diameter of the profile doesn't go below about .740" (think the section of the barrel beyond the gas port on an A2 profile) -- fluting does not detract from this.
It is okay to build on a MD legal rifle. You cannot currently build a new DI 5.56/.223 AR in MD with a barrel that does not meet one of these criteria.

Note that this only applies to 5.56 or .223 barrels. As of current laws and MSP interpretations, any other caliber is distinct enough to skirt being a "copycat". This also applies to piston driven ARs in .223/5.56

What you're looking for in an AR really drives what you are best off doing, but if you are looking for a very solid, high quality, general purpose 16" upper that is ready out of the box, I recommend the LWRC IC DI upper (or complete rifle) with the mlok rail:

https://www.lwrci.com/IC-DI-Upper-161-556-NATO-M-LOK_p_102.html

It is quite expensive, you may be able to find it elsewhere cheaper, but it is an extremely solid buy. Fluted 'heavy' profile keeps the weight manageable, similar to a govt profile.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply here, or if you're more comfortable doing so, PM or email at my username at gmail

e:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

From what I can tell from my (admittedly, rushed and spotty) research, Maryland’s AWB has a grandfather clause for anything purchased before October 1st, 2013, but anything afterwards has to stick to some very weird rules.

This is correct, with one bolded caveat.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 17, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I've seen govt profile barrels occasionally advertised as heavy some places, never grabbed one because I expect that's gonna get changed if too many people gently caress around, and all my ARs are preban.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Bob Mundon posted:

Not for an AR but this thread is probably the place to ask, can you tighten down a muzzle brake that has already been installed or do you have to replace the crush washer? I know if you ever loosen it gotta toss the washer, but wasn't sure if that applied when timing it a little tighter.

You should be able to tighten it on the existing washer just fine.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Yeah, that's kinda frowned upon, as the current MSP enforced interpretation of the law is VERY lenient. If it was a strict interpretation of the law, literally no AR-15s would be legal because the "Colt AR-15 HBAR Sporter" that the law specifically exempts by name literally doesn't exist.

This winds up being "stop loving writing the ATF about pistol braces" but on a state level. Most of this interpretation is gleaned from a combination of the law itself, some AG opinion letters, as well as the MSP website where they make specific rulings on specific guns.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

BeAuMaN posted:

Your AG actually writes opinion letters? Ours stopped writing those decades ago. CA DoJ stays as quiet as possible except when legally mandated to respond to questions (during rulemaking) or state their future actions. We do get FAQs, but they're -very- rarely updated and only when strictly necessary.

We got one, about what constitutes a copycat, which is what drives the caliber changes and piston guns not being copycats

e: also hilariously the BRN-PROTO is legal

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

bulletsponge13 posted:

Legally, can you buy one that is good and switch uppers? Or is it a feature ban? I'm way more out of the loop than I thought.

I remember thinking how loving dumb it was that my Tavor was "too short" from the factory. Some dude tried to give me poo poo at a range about it. But if I weld on 4 inches of tube, it's suddenly different? Hate that dumb poo poo

I imagine that'd be making a banned configuration. I wouldn't personally do it but the law (especially around AR-15s) is so convoluted and unenforceable that a lot of people just ignore it, and I haven't heard of anyone getting dinged for it other than doing stupid poo poo like buying banned configs from shops out of state and getting visits from the MSP later.

Totally agree on the 29" minimum OAL thing. Makes bullpups useless, unless you can find one without a 16" bbl, 18-20 is the minimum without having to add stupid long hiders to. I just solve that by not buying bullpups.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. Color me corrected. I was sure they were but googling looks like they arenít. Could have sworn they were banned by name. My bad.

Yeah just the other day I swear it was carbine day at the range, everywhere I looked i saw one of the little buggers and there was 30 carbine brass everywhere.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

The adapters are ok, but you're going to suffer accuracy issues due to the barrel twist rate being much too fast for .22lr. They're only good enough for about 5-6" at best at 50 yards. If you want more accuracy than that, you're going to want to buy or build a dedicated upper. It's the same bolt assembly but instead of a chamber insert, there's a collar that fits onto the dedicated barrel.

Edit: you can buy the adapter and then later buy the barrel and collar if you choose to go dedicated, all other parts are the same.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Brakes and comps are fine. Flash hiders are fine too, if you don't have either of the other things.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

If the CMMG upper is their radial delay, a 9mm buffer is too much for it, from what I understand, you want a more normal carbine buffer.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

The one thing I will say against the MBT is that I don't like the balance between the weight of the stages. Compared to a Geissele, which I really like, the MBT has a much lighter first stage, and a much heavier second. I prefer a closer balance, so the additional weight isn't as much, and feels easier to break.

It's still a very good trigger, especially for the money, and I'm not likely to upgrade it to a Geissele because it's good enough. Just wanted to give my two cents.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

That's a faxon pencil barrel, they'll deflect when you put pressure on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Hey guys how long does PSA generally take to get an FFL item shipped out? I ordered a complete lower pistol kit on Friday on special but as of today the order is still in the "in processing" state.

I live in MD and heard conflicting reports (after I ordered) that PSA would not ship lowers to MD at all, and then others saying they had no problems and others saying it was basically a coin flip. There's no mention or note about this on their site.

I just want to know if they're going to cancel it or not so I can just go buy a lower from an LGS so I can begin the 7 day waiting period and order a parts kit separately.

PSA refused to ship a complete lower to MD for me (even a 9mm one, which is entirely unrestricted). I recall them getting okay with stripped lowers though.