Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I really like the HERA gear. If ar57 ever starts production again im grabbing an upper so i can swap this back and forth between 223 and 5.7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is that part of a mag as a front grip?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Thats what i get for looking on my phone and seeing the pic as a blurry mess

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Weight beats all basically from when i paid attention. If you could have the plastic clamshell from a pair of headphones as a barrel the wwsd rifles would use it

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

californiasushi posted:

did the inrange dudes test like 6 different brands of pencil barrels before settling on faxon? what was their criteria? i've only seen part of their "stress test" video and the groups didn't look impressive with the ammo they shot.

Pretty sure they had settled on faxon before the project started because they have liked the company and done Q&As about the barrel making process but i didn't follow closely and could be wrong

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Tbf faxon may have been the only choice if your starting point is " this barrel has to be pencil profile and the only decision to make is how long". I however dont fire any of my (modern) guns little enough that a pencil wouldnt make an uncomfortable amount of heat. I managed to make my Tikka barrel uncomfortably warm a couple times from putting rounds through it. I want a superheavy barrel for my rdb because if i fire that thing im putting 80+ rounds through it in 10 minutes unless i break the firing pin.

The gamer comparison is apt i think. These things are minmaxed for the 2gun that Karl runs in Tucson where they fire less than 30 rounds in a stage normally judging from the vids ive seen. So yeah its what stoner would do, if he was building the ar15 for short endurance competition stuff where youre hauling around 20 pound weights and poo poo and almost every ounce you can shave off without skeletonizing and getting dust into it matters. I think when they talk about "we made this choice because of what someone would prefer in the field" is more them justifying to themselves a base level assumption theyve made. They havent really put much thought into endurance of parts if theyre popping off multiple mags as fast as possible for suppression in winter of the ardenne as far as i can tell. What kind of warping does that quick heating and then back to horrid cold do to one of these pencil barrels?

There are also their assumptions on what a "professional soldier" in the current era is like that reading gip makes me question heavily. The idiot threads exist for a reason. One of the notable stories was a command decision to look for a beretta dropped out of a blackhawk at night using a pair of little birds that ended with the little birds colliding and killing the crews. These guns have to be that level of idiot proof. Ian mentions frequently that you have to choose between weight and reliability and while Ian has been in a couple of the p&s gun nerd episodes i think they made this more as a wwsd for a general basic competition rifle than a general service rifle.

Maybe they address some of that better in more of the wwsd videos after i stopped watching the series but the entire project after a while was way more indepth about a gun that interests me to the level that ar15s do. Id be way more interested in them wwsding the scar H or Ak

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Speaking of buis i was looking at these tritium posts as backups for my bedside ar pistol. Anyone used them and have thoughts?

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ARCFS08LGTDT

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah theyre gonna be backups incase the reddot fails. And i normally have low level lights on at night because it helps keep my dog sleep easier in her crate so thats covered

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Seriously. Spend $100 on a light and dont shoot your family and friends. Get a TLR1hl and you can use it on a pistol or a rifle.

No family just me and the dog but i will get a light. Just got laid off but as soon as i can finish building it will be trijicon reflex sight, light, then buis

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

dema posted:

A rifle for home defense seems a little curious to me. I use a handgun with JHP and a separate Surefire flashlight. Don't like the idea of necessarily having to point the gun at someone/something to illuminate them.

But home intruders aren't high on my list of concerns. Live in a decent neighborhood and I've got a big dog.

Its a 10.5 inch 9x25 ar pistol. The complex started making a real slide the last 6 months and 9x25 thinks 3a is cute

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Really truly a 9x25 AR? Do you have a picture of this ridiculous thing?

For you? Shiiiiit

You see when a mommy 9mm round and a daddy 10mm round love each other very much...

Im also getting a better muzzle device later but that can wait until i get everything else. The reflex is much more important atm but that will wait until i am working again. I got a solid severance package but i have a solid pistol until im working again so i'm saving for now

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 19, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The guy who made it makes all sorts of goofy ar uppers. .40, 10mm, 7.62 tokarev, etc

http://www.rmwxtreme.com/

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

He will use your parts too, so you coukd send him the barrel and he erl build you and an upper and lower around it

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I mean yeah if you want 1200fps 9 mill instead of 2300 fps

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I was gonna say 7.5 lebel but close enough

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There was a thread from someone who worked for a dice company and grogs came out of the woodwork to ask what kind of statistically relevant testing theyre were doing on these funky color d&d dice to ensure their fairness and were PISSED the company was basically just a reseller and was doing none

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

How would...how does fairness testing dice work? I'm confused. If they aren't weighted what's the problem?

How precisley they were cast/ any bubbles in the material stuff like that. Maybe the 3 panel of your d20 is a 10th of a millimeter too high compared to the other panels. Maybe that gives it a tendency to roll more with the 3 panel being on bottom and making the corresponding reverse panel up more likely by .37%. It was NUTS man how offended people were getting

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

One of the first posts on that insta is some random war clips with the caption "when you cant make a vid about dem nazis so you make it about dem coloreds". Gun pop culture is the best argument against allowing anyone to own guns

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wow that old one thats....yeah

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I mounted a accupoint backwards with a reversed afg on the 12 oclock rail and a vfg backwards at the 9oclock position on my scar to make people lose their poo poo once. It was glorious

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well thats one way to get a magnified red dot i guess.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I keep looking at one of those for my Tikka. How's the quality?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Isnt the cmmg stuff radial instead of roller delayed blowback? So more energy gets eaten up in forcing the moving parts through the corkscrew than with just slamming back as soon as the pressure is low enough for the rollers to disengage?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It's using a lot of the toys they didnt use in district 9 to make a new era short circuit. It's not terrible and a better use of your time than episode 7 or 8 of starwars. Tbf ep 8 was so terrible i didn't bother seeing 9

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was kind of wondering how the AR-15 pattern became universal. Armalite didn't hold onto the patent?

Its been around so long the earliest designs are C&R eligible

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

He really doesn't he was trying to buy something else and was so drunk he messed up. It was a pretty funny night

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Stripped is some assembly required, complete is slap an upper on it, 80% is so some drilling then some assembly required. If is says its a lower kit its probably a stripped lower with the assembly parts you need

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Bogon posted:

SCAR17S

Did we ever decide what was more obnoxious to shoot? The scar or my jungle enfield? The scar was loud but the enfield had that dumb 70 year old rubber brick on the end. Also we need to compare it to the 9x25 next time

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Maybe they're being propped up by the neo-nazi gimpsuit fetish furries because their logo looks like a dickspider that's just about to jump onto a bright blue half-feral raven/wolf's tongue.

I dont know what the gently caress you just said but you better not actually be referencing things youve seen

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

attempted murderers

People fetishized cop guns for yeaaaars dude. Isnt that half of the glock selling point atm?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Counterpoint- quad rail lets you put afgs in place of front sights and vfgs on the left and stuff that makes the type of super spergs who rant about clips vs mags really lose their poo poo

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Somebody Awful posted:

THREE HUNNERT AAC BLACKOUT!

300 why bother

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Has there been any talk of ar57 finally replacing the machinist who died and putting out more complete uppers? Alternatively does anyone else make a 5.7 upper that uses p90 mags? The banshees and banshee uppers that feed from FiveseveN mags dont really interest me as much. I keep looking for nonrapetastic liatings to come up somewhere but last time I checked it was only complete rifles on gb for like 1500

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is there any reason trijicons having MAPs isn't costing some sort of consumer protection laws,

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah just as an example

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I just had been thinking back to when i was looking for my accupoint and the guy at the gun store i was at was pissed someone had broken the MAP by like :tenbux:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

If you're asking if the MAP is breaking some consumer protection law... pretty sure it's not. I see MAPs all the time on TVs and Large Appliances (and also some of the creative ways certain Merchants try to get around them), so without having done any legal research I'm pretty sure they're completely legal as long as they aren't (caught) cooperatively pricing MAPs with other competing manufacturers to effectively do price fixing.

Ah ok.it seemed to me personally MAPs should be in violation of price fixing but I am not a lawyer and also american capitalism is uniquely...loopholey

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Haven't seen anyone ever talk about that optic before. Is it decent? Looks like it may be fine for a 200 buck acog replacement. Just wondering if it's quality is bleh with the integrated laser and leds and irons and micro reflex mount point

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So if you finish your own 80% receiver you don't even have to put a serial of any sort on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

ZebraBlade posted:

I lowkey want a rifle with the Hera furniture and a short/SBR AR57 upper

Its like a P90 but twice as big and three times as impractical

This was my plan for my hera furniture ar, bur ar57 center stopped making uppers before i coukd get one and if I cant get the p90 mag then its ehhh