Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Retro poo poo is the best but honestly I have a troy uppered normal lower with an old aimpoint thats my best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The Rat posted:

I've found that nitrided BCGs (as opposed to the standard ones) are much, much easier to clean off FWIW

People clean them?!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Stag is the one I've heard most people go with, but most lefties I know (I'm a lefty who learned to shoot rifles/shotguns righty, and therefore of little help) just shoot any AR with a brass deflector (so basically anything modern) and it works fine, is cheaper, and involves no special parts.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ve had a range trip with a good friend I see maybe twice a year saved by buis. I was just an idiot and left my PA red dot on and didn’t have spare batteries in my bag because double idiot.

The mbuis paid for themselves with that alone and that was the lowest stakes kind of back up sight rear end saving possible.

I had to do that once, def saved my butt. Thankfully all my current dots (excepting my ancient aimpoint Comp M2) have truly insane battery lives and I've not had an issue, though I still keep spare batteries on whatever rifle has a dot.

Also, off topic, but go find your headlamp, wrap a change of batteries in a ziplock or shrinkwrap if you got it, then duct tape it to the strap. Always helpful in a pinch.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Stravag posted:

Speaking of buis i was looking at these tritium posts as backups for my bedside ar pistol. Anyone used them and have thoughts?

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ARCFS08LGTDT

Didn't have that exact model, but had a couple tritium front sights on ARs. If you are unable/unwilling to get a red dot they're not terrible, but if you're using them as a backup thing I wouldn't be quick to shell out the $60. Further, If it's your bedside gun I'd suggest putting the money towards a light which will have a far bigger impact on low light performance.

If you've already got all the other poo poo covered (or just really want them) go ahead and knock yourself out. Aside from the cost there's no real downside.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

There's advantages and disadvantages to anything. I like to have a long gun of some kind available, and for a long time that was an AR, but now I have a handgun with light in a lockable drawer in the nightstand (not ideal, but I live alone) and an 870 in the closet. I believe just for safety's sake in telling anyone who's going to be spending the night or a lot of other time in the apartment, and a few of them have asked to see one after I tell them. I live in a young, blue city and it's a hell of a lot easier to show someone you've only been on a couple dates with a wood stocked shotgun than it is to show an AR with light, mag, red dot, etc. poo poo, even my ex who I lived with for a good amount of time hated seeing an AR, even though she enjoyed shooting it.

An AR by the bed would be a better HD solution but I don't feel underarmed in an apartment in a nice neighborhood with a 9mm handgun in arms reach and a shotgun close by, and I prioritize other things over maxing out my home defense survival chances. I also think if ARs go back up to pre-2016 prices we're going to see a lot more people be fine with shotguns (though I guess since we were talking about a Benelli M4 this might not be the most relevant) and/or a handgun again.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the Inrange WWSD project contribute to this thing coming back? Was this something that was always in the works (or at least seriously being discussed) that got pushed over the edge, or is this mostly thanks to Inrange's project and their friendship with you, somebody who was involved in the production of the prior version? I remember a few TFR people having them prior to WWSD, and I remember trying to sell a couple I had spare prior to WWSD and them sitting around at $70. I posted them at $150 or so (forget the exact figure, but around there) after WWSD was a thing and they sold pretty quickly, even in a post 2016 saturated market for AR parts.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

SinistralRifleman posted:

To be blunt there’s frankly no other person on the planet that knows as much about the CAV-15 as I do.

I’ve known Karl since 2006 and Ian since 2013. Consequently they were aware of the CAV-15 MKII.
The 2009 TIGER Valley Team Match is where our rifles got ran over and my CAV-15 survived and Karl’s regular AR broke. Karl and I filmed an abuse test in 2014 pre-InRange.

These experiences and their familiarly with it is why it was selected for the WWSD2017
GWACS sold around 6000 units of remaining inventory in 2017-2018 following WWSD.

As I mentioned initially I/we tried to work with GWACS to make more MKIIs, but after they disappeared it became apparent that starting anew was the way. And I spent most of 2019 working out the economics and business aspects of making that happen along with assembling investors. Now my focus is on bringing all the different tech and manufacturing aspects together to bring a better functional product to market.

Well quite glad you got a new version going. I'll admit I got some sticker shock on the complete WWSD rifle pre-orders (didn't realize how pricey the handguard in particular was), but the sub $100 price point on the lowers puts it squarely in "why the hell not" territory so I'm sure I'll wind up with one.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Cali does locked cases iirc. Does that work for MD too?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

For the base rifle you chose a pretty cheap way to roll. Like bikes, weight really is where the prices/weirdness go up on in the AR field. Get an aero/colt/whoever lower you like cheap, some people dislike anderson but all the ones I've had at $50 or so have been fine, and take look on gunbroker or arfcom for HBAR 20" barrels (or better yet, barreled uppers). These are pretty much the least desirable barrels out there right now, and if you don't mind going used you'll be able to score some cheap. Get some MLOK magpul drop in handguards, a rifle buffer/A1 stock, and then go nuts on accessories. If you want to go a little pricier do free floated handguards (they are worth it). Don't know a ton about drums/bipods (used some QD harris bipods that were fine, and some magpul D60s that are not drums, but also fine), and absolutely nothing about commercial thermal optics.

If you want a basic lovely (but fully functional) PSA lower, I've got one kicking around you're welcome to (I do often enjoy the podcasts), just give me a week to get it to my FFL to ship (tomsinternetjunkemail@gmail.com).

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

There's a difference between "want to build first AR15" to be big and dumb and wanting to build a big and dumb AR type rifle. Yeah, an AR10 definitely fits the bigger part better, but there's a certain low priced ammo and parts commonality benefit charm a 15 variant has.

Do wanna be record as pro absurdity though, so get that 458 insanity if you're not set on 223

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah big thing with AR10s is lowers and uppers don't always play well

This is true, it's much more a buy vs build kinda deal.

THAT SAID

Friend built one as a 10.5 with a PEQ whatever IR laser and some NV, and it was probably the most fun nighttime shooting I've done.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Would buy a globex

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

I'm kinda super excited about their roller delay ar upper. I really hope they can pull it off for a reasonable price.

Oh man so in.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wasn't Bushmaster one of the only companies making AR's during the AWB?

Nah there were a bunch (not relative to today's crazy saturation of course) and the big guys all just did compliant versions.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'll once again chime in (use a burner card yada yada) that all the PSA stuff I've bought was fine, and per the internet they seem to have good CS if yours is fucky. Their lovely politics is republican/trump memes, and while I don't like it at all (nor do I buy those products) it's a lovely fact of our hobby that no matter your leanings you're going to wind up buying products produced/loved by people on the right, and mostly likely the far right. PSA kits are incredibly cheap, and getting an entire loving AR built for $350 is getting a lot more people with only a passing casual interest to actually buy a gun they saw in a movie or video games or whatever. Adding more money to get a better product is likely better in the long run, but a lot of non-gun people just aren't going to do that and a dirt cheap reliable gun/kit is a pretty nice option for a lot of people.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Soupisgood posted:

Brownells has an A1 which would work for me but I want to use an A2 receiver and I think the sights won't match up if I do.

Might wanna verify that. I've used A2 uppers on 20" A1 pencil barrels and even had a surplus A1 upper that was rebarreled with an A2 barrel at some point in its service, both worked fine. I may just be lucky or too dumb to notice an issue though so take that into account.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

This one is also a C7 upper dissy. Handy loving rifles.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Picked up an all original 1975 colt sp1 with the colt brand 4x scope for $1200. So much for downsizing

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Triangle handguards on an A2 upper just somehow look so wrong to me even if the changes are minor.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

speaking of things that look correct with triangle handguards

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

They seem to be selling in the $5-600 range, jesus. Guess I'll be parting with this thing eventually, would like to shoot it first though.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I saw someone who did that as a one-off, it looked...strange. This may be my hangup but the triangle handguards always seem really off in lengths other than rifle (except for that one weird prototype aircrew rifle, that thing hosed).

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Think I'm going to list that 3x20 colt scope. $460 seem too low/high to anyone? I don't want it to sit around forever and I don't think I'll be using it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

More sp1 chat: what a remarkably wonderful AR. Grouped great and rang steel like a champ, but the complains about the shifting poi once it heats up are real. I think I'll just run three mags and let it cool while reloading to minimize it, but I'm pleased as punch.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

loving amateurs

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

infrared35 posted:

The shop I work part time at has been fielding requests for ARs. The most recent one:

Customer: “I need an AR, what do you have?”

Me: “We have one complete Aero lower and four different uppers available. Cheapest combo would be $600 out the door.”

Customer: “Why would anyone buy from you when I they can get an AR from PSA for $350?”

A fair question... although it looks like the cheapest complete AR on PSA right now is $579, but whatever.

I did one sub $300 from a PSA pistol kit (tragically just over if I include transfer on the lower). Gonna be awhile to that memory is gone and I/others can ditch my/their AR poo poo.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Pre panic pricing, keep in mind, but I can't see building a 22lr upper being that much more cost effective vs buying a dedicated S&W 22 if you're into it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Domini Cane posted:

Has anyone had experience being a Lefty shooting an AR? My sister is looking to get into shooting an AR and I have almost enough spare parts to build her one.

Are ambidextrous lowers important? Who makes decent ones?

Are left handed uppers necessary? If so, does anyone other than Stag Arms make one?

If you get one with a shell deflector (pretty much most modern ARs) a lefty gun is unnecessary.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I have a gwacs and a psa lower (both complete) just kinda hanging around for the last year or seven and have been lucky enough not to have growth. Am thinking of SBRing the GWACS for the gently caress of it then all bets are off

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Craptacular posted:

Why? Then you're stuck with an A1-length stock on an SBR with no option for a collapsible or folding stock. I'd SBR the PSA.

Miso Beno posted:

The PSA is the more practical option for sure.

I shoot A1 stock length generally (though an A2 stock feels super right when I'm forced to use one) so not really a big loss. The GWACS is more interesting than the PSA, as well as lighter, and it'd be really fun to just make a handy little really lightweight 10.5.

It's also only $200 (and an annoying wait time) which is well within fun gimmick pricing, so who cares?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

then it sounds like you've made up your mind.

Yeah, never asked a question in that post, just my intent for a goofy lil project. Actual question now though, are the ATF still processing NFA paperwork or is that on hold for the covid?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Is there a reason the MBUS wont work when properly zeroed for your 9mm?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Well, and, I didn't think so, as, yeah, sure 9 mil gonna have diff ballistics than 556, but poo poo, at pistol/carbine ranges of 50 yards (or less), will it even matter? Idk. I'm just reading the box.

You're fine, just run it on your 9mm

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I feel like I picked a bad time to build a cheap AR. All the uppers I'm looking at are out of stock and any substitutes that are in stock are over budget.

Yup, sadly. Hopefully things normalize to the old prices, and deals still pop up as people need to sell occasionally but these are not the salad days.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Actually, the AR stands for Armalite

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

PookBear posted:

CALIBER POINT THREE HUNDRED

Who let paul harrell in?!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Action-Bastard posted:

I need a Canadian Tire AR15 receiver.

Not one of ya mafuckas can go to canadian mafucka and buy a new orange mafucka AR15 lower for $2.99? That's wack

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

JukeboxHerostratus posted:

Or couldn't you, and please correct me if I'm wrong, pay the $200 tax stamp and keep it as a short barreled rifle? Is there any reason why not to? Aside from the obvious $200 spent anyway. And the indeterminate wait time.

The biggest issue for me (any many others), aside from wait time and price, which honestly aren't too bad long term, is the travel issue. The ATF requires notification when you move your SBR across state lines, which is annoying if that's your camping gun and you're driving often to Utah, Wyoming, or New Mexico (or your state's equivalent). Some states also allow you to keep "pistols" loaded in your vehicle, whereas rifles need to be unloaded (this is mostly a hunting based law.

On the downside, I'd be amazed if AR "pistols" remain legal with the braces clearly being stocks. If it was purely a range toy I might consider that risk, but most of the applications for something super short, at least for me, would be defensive in nature and I'd rather not have the I'm Not Touching You NFA aspect of it if something lovely happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Here's the same green guns I always post but hopefully after the lockdown is lifted I'll get more green photos and more builds.

This one really floats my boat.