Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Kick-Puncher posted:

What's a decent red dot for an AR-22? I was considering the holosun HS403G and the vortex sparc. Both are about the same price on sale.

Both are good options. I would lean towards the Holosun. Also look at the Primary Arms SLx and Sig ROMEO5 are in the same price-quality range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

The Rat posted:

The tech forums can be ok, and the EE is a great source of deals if you know what you're looking for. But yeah, stay out of the General section like it's Chernobyl.

As far as training, there's a company called Makhaira group or something like that that operates out of LFI just north of you on I-25. Haven't heard any bad things. There's also various 3-gun matches if you want to go down that road.

Trolling GD can be a lot of fun but it's kind of like picking on the disabled kid.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only criticism I've heard of the K2+ is that it can get a bit tacky/sticky when your hands sweat.

Isnt that kinda the point with rubber overmolding? Maximum grip when wet/sweaty

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

PSA is coming out with a bufferless / folding stock AR upper compatible with any normal AR lower. If they keep the price down in typical PSA fashion if might be a hot seller.

Going to be a huge SHOT show for PSA. Improvements and expansion of their current AK line including FN and in-house cold hammer forged barrels. Multiple new AK variants in 5.45 and 5.56. Glock frames. Bufferless AR upper. Bufferless PCC upper. PSA MP5 getting closer.

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 19, 2020

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Be interesting to see if they keep quality down in typical PSA fashion as well

Yeah the first gen is always something to avoid with PSA but they do fix any issues under the lifetime warranty. Apparently their AK line has come a long way and are fairly well regarded for entry level guns whereas their first generation was pretty crappy.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

SinistralRifleman posted:

No I donít think there is with the cost of tooling.

If people want the nth degree of customization they should just get an aluminum lower.

Customization is at odds with cost and weight, and making this more expensive or heavier defeats the whole purpose.

Most people dont realize how stupid expensive injection molds are

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

stgdz posted:

Looks like Remington shut down Bushmaster and dpms.

The fact that Bushmaster and DPMS were pretty much a no show at SHOT was a pretty good sign this was coming.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah not sure who thatís for. Youíve got PSA jumping into the MP5 clone game probably sub $1k. Plus the other roller lock AR upper. Plus existing products.

From what I saw/heard at SHOT, PSA is targeting a $1,000-1,100 range for their MP5, which still puts it $300-$500 less than the next cheapest competing mp5 clones

HK are $2,600
Zenith are ~$1,800
PTR are ~$1,600
POF are ~$1,400

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

AAC is reportedly being shut down as well. They supposedly haven't made any new cans for many months and only had 2 original AAC employees left doing nothing but warranty work, who are both now gone.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

TAPCO and Storm Lake barrels also got the Remington chop

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Considering the Masada was nothing but a concept and Bushmaster had to do significant re-engineering to get it to actually work, I wouldn't exactly trust Magpul to do anything other than make plastic parts for it.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

What is it about the ACR that everyone likes? I remember a thousand years ago when it was first announced as the Masada that the selling point was true quick-change barrels/caliber conversions (like, flick a lever and remove the barrel and gas tube, then swap in something else in a few seconds), but I believe that got scrapped in the final Bushmaster ACR product.

At the time its main hype points were the quick change barrel system, it looked really cool, and people were super hot on anything Magpul was doing

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Tuff Scrote posted:

After building two AR-15s I started working on an AR-10. I picked up an aero 308 lower and a parts kit. Now it seems like there is a lot of variation between AR-10 manufacturers and I've been advised to stick with Aero parts for the rest of the build. I plan on buying a complete upper with a 18" CMV barrel. The aero uppers come with a non-adjustable gas block. I will eventually plan to put a supressor on it. Do I need to get an adjustable gas block? How hard is it to install a new has block on an AR-10?

Not too hard if you have the correct tools, but it will save you some effort to just do it now rather than later.

Remove muzzle device, remove handguard, remove old gas block, remove old gas tube from old gas block, install old gas tube in new gas block, install new gas block, reinstall muzzle device, reinstall handguard.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Aww yeah pseudoretro party

pseudoretrodissy

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Work has been paying me OBSCENE bonus money to basically live on-site and work 10-12 hour days so that means its 458 SOCOM build time

All the rifle parts should be here by Saturday, most of the reloading stuff is still 2-3 weeks out.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Are you going to build it at work since you live there? Does work have a nice shop bench and tools? Are you living out the Last of Us?

Work brought in a few nice camper/RV trailers for a select few of us "essential" personnel that we have to live out of for the next 4 weeks. All food is catered and paid for, same for laundry. Downside is we are pretty much in 24/7 isolation from other people, if we are not in our offices we are in the trailers.

So I guess no I won't really get to build it out for a few weeks at least

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

That Works posted:

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=143766&avad=211021_f1a3f98a9

2 pack of no logo Anderson lowers for $78 with shipping. For those of you that want to hide the poverty pony instead of using it with pride.

Did they change the finish on their lowers? They look darker and smoother and less "chalkboardy" than my other Anderson lowers. That has always been my complaint with cheap lowers compared to nicer lowers is the finish is different.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

458 SOCOM featuring dirty living room table

16" Tromix Barrel + matched Tromix bolt
Aero M4E1 lower + Aero LPK + Aero XL upper + 15" Aero handguard
LaRue MBT2S Trigger
Tromix Radial Comp
Trijicon Acupower 1-4x and Aero Ultralight mount arrive on Thursday

Haven't decided on a stock, just had a Magpul whatever sitting in the parts bin and it works for now. Will probably end up with a sopmod like almost all my other rifles

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

The Colt Expanse line uses a ton of outsourced parts too, very few of the parts are actually "colt" parts.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Sigh I wish Primary Arms would use a different font on their modern optics thatís not the cowboy theme their founder or whoever picked out when they were a smaller company.

Nothing a few seconds with a sharpie or some spraypaint cant fix.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Surprised nobody mentioned those micro red dots for pistols like a Holosun HS407K. The low profile won't make it too much taller than some of the other traditional rifle red dots on the market. DakianDelomast even has one* on his AR a couple posts up.

*on a Scalarworks mount but still.

I had a RMR on my SBR AR for awhile and it was pretty good, very lightweight and low profile. I replaced it with an ACOG so now its on my SBR Evo and it excels on that.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Iím going to say probably without actually looking into it but eh, I donít think Iíd bother. I just checked midsouth and hornady 6.5 grendel brass is $40 for 100. Not quite dirt cheap but nothing like expensive.

I canít imagine x39 brass would be all that much cheaper.

once fired x39 brass is 35-40cpr

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I lowkey want a rifle with the Hera furniture and a short/SBR AR57 upper

Its like a P90 but twice as big and three times as impractical

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

John DiFool posted:

Is there a general 'sweet spot' in terms of value for complete uppers? I'd lean towards spending a little more for quality, but I don't know enough to understand what the real difference is between, say a $600 upper vs a $1k+ upper in terms of features and quality.

Is there a good list of manufacturers that strike a decent balance between quality and value?

Aero has probably the best quality for price ratio

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I gave up the OK sign and I wrote off the gadsen flag but they can eat my entire rear end in a top hat if they think I'm letting them have my hawaiian shirts.

Someone on twitter said eating rear end is a white supremacists dogwhistle so best I can do is a unenthusiastic blowie.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

What caliber? Iíve been spending a disturbing amount of time looking at .458 sbr barrels.

I wouldn't even consider anything other than a Tromix

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

So what's the buffer situation like with these big bores? I have a lower with a maxim brace that has an H1 buffer. Do you need any sort of special springs or ultra heavy buffer?

458 Socom was designed to use as many "standard" M4/AR parts other than barrel and bolt. Regular carbine or rifle buffers should work, but no harm in putting a H1 or H2 if you want to tweak recoil and ejection but by no means is it necessary.

Unsure about 450 Bushmaster

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Azuren posted:

Dang, you need a special permit to take already-registered NFA stuff across state lines? That seems kinda wild to me (never owned anything NFA-regulated, obviously).

Its not really a permit, more of a permission slip from the ATF. Also it doesn't apply to silencers

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I have a rough design for a 2 piece free float where the upper/rail is aluminium and the "lower" part is modular and can be polymer or metal. Ill make some rough sketches on my plane ride home later.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Why put the FCG holes into the mold at all? Why not just always drill them after the halves are fused? Are molded holes stronger? I would think drilled holes are going to be superior for the minor cost increase. I think the original CAV design was drilled right?

Also what about molding a relatively thin steel plate or U-channel into the FCG area. That might prolong the life of the FCG hole pins. I would imagine this might be one of those things thats heavily negated by the existence of mass market cassette triggers.

Metal inserts usually increase mold cost and complexity by a lot so its avoided if not needed.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Mambo No. 5 posted:

What's a good budget drop in trigger? Or the next step above Milspec?

For the price its hard to beat a LaRue MBT

https://www.larue.com/category/parts-accessories/triggers/

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Stravag posted:

I actually find the hera furniture super comfy on my fullsize ar and makes it feel more like I'm handling my rdb which is an added bonus.

Yeah A buddy built a 300blk with the Hera furniture and found it better than expected. Not a huge fan of the stock but I liked the front grip thing. Might pick up just the front for my shorty 22lr

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Well I woke up to an email from budís saying they canceled my order because they canít source ammo right now, so I guess I may as well zero with the 77gr since thatís literally all I have reliably available

Thanks for the tips, The range I usually go to actually has sandbags and stuff available so I should be good on that front. When I mentioned that I was zeroing a rifle a friend said theyíd be willing to let me borrow their bore laser, whatís the general word on those? Itís the kind you stick in the front of the muzzle.

They can help get you on paper but thats about it. They are also good at blowing up guns when people forget to remove them before firing.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

If you dont mind replacing it once or twice a year depending on how much you use it, friction tape works great for getting grippy.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Miso Beno posted:

I use regular atheltic tape on my Glocks and ARs. Grip tape feels too rough on my fat rear end.

That is why I like friction tape, its more grippy than hockey tape but its not gritty like grip tape. I have tried the grip tape panels and tape but its too rough on my hands.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I have a pile of 80% lowers I picked up here and there for cheap years ago but haven't tried milling any of them. I looked at a 5D Tactical jig because those seem to be the best out there but drat $$$. I dont know if $200+ is worth it for doing 5 lowers

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

PookBear posted:

I've always wondered why the military doesn't use more practice rounds, like a .22lr conversion kit for training or airsoft for practicing cqb.

Why not just shoot duty ammo when you and me are footing the bill for their ammo? They do use simunitions for CQB and training too.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Ive been to the Sturgis rally a few times (as a curious observer, not a biker myself) and uhhhhh not a lot of PoC.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Does anyone have first-hand experience with one of these? How easy is it to install, would 22LR in a .223 barrel cause wear issues over time, and how accurate is it to, say, 50 yards over regular .223/5.56?

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...facturer_1=CMMG

And yeah, I've got ~600 rounds of M855 too. A mix of IMI and PPU.

Installation is super easy, just remove your BCG and Slide the adapter in.

Accuracy is not great with 5.56 barrels but its not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Can 10.5" crew join the 11.5" party too?