Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The most interesting part of the WWSD testing/series for me was them showing how the short pencil barrel performed compared to other options.

Both of my match ARs ended up with 14.5" pencil barrels because I don't shoot enough round count in a stage to heat up enough to get accuracy loss and the weight savings is pretty significant.

I did end up just going with one of the MFT minimilast stocks and a lightweight aluminum handguard instead of the weird materials so my gun is like 6lbs before optics, instead of 5 but it's way more durable.

Action-Bastard posted:

Debating between a 16" pencil and a pinned 14.5" pencil. Any pros/cons other than "one is slightly shorter" and the ability to change muzzle devices?

I've had no issues with 14.5" pin and weld at matches out to 600ish yards.

Only downside is I chose a muzzle device that can't mount a suppressor, but because of the way you should tune the gas system for suppressed vs not suppressed shooting I'm planning on just getting a separate upper for when I get my can to shoot with and keeping the well tuned gas system for my unsuppressed guns.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

californiasushi posted:

did the inrange dudes test like 6 different brands of pencil barrels before settling on faxon? what was their criteria? i've only seen part of their "stress test" video and the groups didn't look impressive with the ammo they shot.

I think they did a few brands?

I got a SOLGW pencil barrel for my uppers, and they are ~.8moa with 77gr otm factory ammo off a sled, which is way better than I can shoot at a match anyways

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I got one of the triggers they selected off a prize table at a match. It's just a pretty good single stage trigger, nothing fancy.

It's only compelling reason to buy it over any other trigger is you can flip the safety on even with the hammer down, and that's a very fringe benefit, but for the same cost you can get an SSA-E and I prefer that myself.

It also supposedly is less prone to damage in straight blowback 9mm ARs, but I don't own one of those to know how much of a problem that is.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kick-Puncher posted:

What's a decent red dot for an AR-22? I was considering the holosun HS403G and the vortex sparc. Both are about the same price on sale.

I really like this AT3 red dot. With riser its $100, without its $75 and its been just as durable and nice to shoot as my vortex sparc is. I have 2, one as a cheap offset dot on my 3gun rifle, and one on my 10/22 and its performed well above expectations for me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I like the raptor LT. There's always the G$ airborne or super charging handle too.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Heh.

That being said, there might be a non-zero chance of my rifle getting shipped from G$ sometime this week or the next. I'm not terribly sold on the pronged muzzle brake ol' Bill put on the McRifle Mk1 (a SureFire SF3P). So I'm looking for an alternative that won't make the rifle uncomfortable to shoot at an indoor range - I was looking at the Strike JCOMP V2 (cheap), and the Precision M4-72 or VG6 Gamma.

Anyone have any alternative suggestions that aren't over $100?

I like the VG6 Epsilon more than the gamma. If you want to shoot it indoors the M4-72 is a bad idea, its a teeth-rattler even with a long barrel.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

It's probably worth buying the stripped lower/parts kit, which is what I'm planning on doing.

Even the assembled lowers are pricier than I want to spend without being able to choose exactly what trigger I want.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The old one also came with a special extra long buffer tube detent rollpin to retain the buffer detent because you cant use the buffer tube to do it. So 3 unique metal parts to it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

SinistralRifleman posted:

We may do other colors later. But processing in different colors is always more effort. They never run exactly the same.

Will the FDE be light enough to rit dye interesting colors?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ophidian posted:

So if I wanted a complete upper with the following:
14.5Ē pw with a brake (canít be a flash hider because NJ)
No front sight
Flat top
Sub 300$

Am I just SOL or can this happen?

Even PSA a2 birdcage pin and welds on a 14.7" barrel are $380. There's no way youre getting that for sub $300 preassembled.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I've only got like 7 months of pistol ammo at my usual rate. I was due for a restock soon.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

wolfs posted:

Are any of the budget-conscious rifles in the 500-700 range good bases for something that could (eventually) go out to 300 yards? I'm guessing I'd want something with a 20" barrel?
I'd probably buy a nice-ish optic and a bipod at the same time.

Any barrel length will be able to hit 300 easy. Ive shot out to 700 with a 14.5" barrel and 350 with an 8.5" barrel with no issues whatsoever.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

wolfs posted:

Oh, interesting. My experience with rifles is limited- I only just got comfortable with a 22 WMR pistol. Small pests/conspicuous rocks on a ranch out in West Texas are the use case, I might be underestimating the 300 yards. In reading the OP I was picturing putting together something that looked like the one under "Long(ish) Range Builds". I was just guessing that barrel was 20".

About Aero: their bare OEM offerings allow for easy barrel exchange? Not just picking out furniture you like?

So the main benefit of longer barrel is higher velocity of your ammo, which determines when it goes trans-sonic (where you start dropping precision because of the aerodynamics involved with the transition through the sound barrier) and energy delivered to the target at a given distance. For target practice energy on target is largely irrelevant, but for hunting/pest control it could matter.

When you say small pests, what do you mean by that? Rabbits? Squirrels?

In field conditions even with a very very nice AR it will be hard to hit targets that size at an unknown distance past 150-200 yards because the trajectory of the bullet will be larger than the target at that point and you will have to apply good holds to make your hits.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Quick follow-up:

How does 300 BLK perform out of a shorter barrel (10 in) platform?

Most 300 BLK loads are designed to function out of a ~9in barrel and don't gain much from a longer barrel, that said if you're not suppressing it theres no real reason to use it over any other caliber imo.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

gileadexile posted:

So..just a Hogue without fingergrooves?

Hogue makes AR grips. https://www.hogueinc.com/tactical-rifles/ar15/grips/rubber

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Miso Beno posted:

yeah and they're full of terrible finger grooves.

They literally have non-finger groove ones at that link.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

PookBear posted:

My wife has limited me to three guns and I have a sig in 9mm, an ar 15 in 5.56, and in a year or so I plan on starting to look at putting together something more in the battle rifle genre. Would 6.5 creedmore suit the role of a generic battle rifle with say a 1-8x scope or would people here go with 7.62 nato?

I think it would depend on what you want to do. .308 is still more available, but 6.5 creedmoor is better in virtually every way ballistically past 400 yards.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

PookBear posted:

How is the recoil though? Is it better ballistically because it has a hotter charge or because a smaller and faster projectile?

Smaller and faster projectile. They're basically equivalent in recoil from what I have experienced.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

tehinternet posted:

Is there a preferred manufacturer any of you all like for mid tier 5.56 uppers/lowers? I’d like to build a 10-12” Suppressed SBR. I had heard a while ago that PSA was good but I’m kinda bummed that they’re catering to shitheads. With the knowledge that gun ownership is inherently political, are there any manufacturers who shut the gently caress up and make guns in that middle tier?

I’d love to spend $3k on a boutique tier AR but, uh, no.

I really like Sons of Liberty Gunworks, Sionics, or Triarc for mid-tier quality guns. You're probably looking at between $1100 and $1800 for a very very nice gun from any of them.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well I wouldnt recommend SOLGW if you dont want to support an alcoholic trump supporter who definitely doesnt just shut up and produce guns.

poo poo, did I miss something about them?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well he's a piece of poo poo who has multiple DUI's and day drinks at the shop. It's pretty obvious if you ever meet him in person. Also the shop has hosed up several orders to dealer friends and individuals I know so I would skip doing business based on that alone. They even cerakoted the wrong rifle of someone who dropped off 2 rifles to he worked on and overshot the delivery date by months. He had to go to their shop in person multiple times to get it fixed.

Ah. I see. They were a little slow on my rifle, but I didn't know all the rest of that. Guess I won't be recommending them anymore. Thanks for the explanation!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sig romeo5 is one of the best cheap dots out there right now.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Domini Cane posted:

Has anyone had experience being a Lefty shooting an AR? My sister is looking to get into shooting an AR and I have almost enough spare parts to build her one.

Are ambidextrous lowers important? Who makes decent ones?

Are left handed uppers necessary? If so, does anyone other than Stag Arms make one?

The only thing that really matters besides an ambi safety is a left-handed mag release, and several companies make drop in buttons for that like this one: http://www.kearms.com/Ambi-Magazine-Catch.aspx

They work decently well and can be installed on any standard lower.

Left hand uppers aren't necessary at all, any properly gassed upper will throw the brass forward at an angle and you won't have any trouble shooting it as a lefty.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

DeesGrandpa posted:

I shoot A1 stock length generally (though an A2 stock feels super right when I'm forced to use one) so not really a big loss. The GWACS is more interesting than the PSA, as well as lighter, and it'd be really fun to just make a handy little really lightweight 10.5.

It's also only $200 (and an annoying wait time) which is well within fun gimmick pricing, so who cares?

I sold my gwacs lower because it just wasnt lighter enough to matter for anything I do, but I was on the fence about SBRing it before I did. In my opinion go for it!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kronstadt posted:

What are everybody's thoughts on Aero's uppers? In the very early stages of thinking about my first ever AR and their stuff seems pretty decent for the cash.

Thinking about this one in particular: https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-complete-upper-16-5-56-mid-length-barrel-atlas-s-one-handguard

Aero is solid. That's a pretty decent first upper for sure.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Best trigger for AR-9's? I really liked the geiselle super dynamic, flat faced trigger I had in my .223

Anything similar?

These work real good supposedly for 9mm because of the disconnector design, and goon SinistralRifleman works there.

http://www.kearms.com/store/p/907-SLT-2-Sear-Link-Technology-Trigger-with-Ambi-Selector.aspx

I've also got an extra one if that interests you.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

M2 pmags are also usually cheaper. I have a shitton of them because you can get them for $8-9 pretty consistently, vs $10-12 for the m3 pmags.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

boxen posted:

Yeah, Magpul Pmags are the gold standard for polymer mags. I have only them and they've never had a problem, but I've only ever taken them to the range and back. The Magpul D60 is a 60-round drum magazine, but its fiddly/time-consuming to load and heavy when loaded. It works pretty well for what it is, but it's 2X the capacity of a normal PMAG for 8X the price. I got one as part of a package deal with some other mags. I think I've use it like 3 times in five years, always for novelty.

I love my d60. It's great for 3gun/2gun when you just don't want to loving reload on a stage.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Action-Bastard posted:

Here's something a little vague, not sure how else to phrase it.

These fancy $100 +/- charging handles, are they worth the jump in price over a milspec charging handle?

I'm talking this:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-15-charging-handle-prod97628.aspx

Versus something akin to this:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-15-airborne-charging-handle-prod110510.aspx

Depends. If you're just plinking it doesn't matter. I have appreciated my nice charging handles a lot at matches when I have to remediate a malfunction or unload/load on the clock.

My preferred is a Radian Raptor LT for most of my guns, but I have a geissele airborne on my run and gun rifle where I am carrying it slung a lot so it doesn't dig into my back as I run the courses.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-15-raptor-lt-charging-handle-5-56-prod104896.aspx

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Miso Beno posted:

Fuckkkkkkkkk trying to not build a 14.5" midgas lightweight build.

2 of my 3 ARs are 14.5" mid-gas pencil barrels. It is a fantastic combo.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Im very upset.

1st time taking my PSA Ar9 to shoot.

FTE, almost every round.

3 diff brands of ammo.

1 fmj, 2 HP

*sigh*

I dont have the patience to fix it.

My ar15 worked kickass out the box. But it was assembled for me by stag.

Im gonna sell this bitch.

Which model did you get, out of curiosity.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So I'm looking at pre-assembled 6.5 creedmoor ARs. Just something to ring steel out to 800-1k yards for fun, and maybe as the DMR for bonus targets at matches

I was planning on just picking up an Aero upper/lower, but then I saw the Savage MSR 10 Hunter and at ~1100-1200 bucks it checks a lot of boxes for weight and features. Are their other options out there I should be looking at?

I've got a decent 4-14x scope already to throw on it, and I'm trying to stay under $1400 for the rifle+upgrades not including optics if at all possible since this is likely not gonna be a gun I shoot every day and all the time.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Just ran 10 rounds through it like this.

0% FTF
0% FTE

So what is the difference between me manually cranking it, and gun cycling when firing?

Faulty or incorrect machining of the barrel?
Buffer and or spring issue?

Is your extractor up to spec? Itís possible it has some damage or wasnít put together properly and could just snap out over the case rim rather than pulling it out under pressure. If you kept any of the brass from the FTEs on the range you could look on them and see what marks those have on them.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

NickBlasta posted:

Just get a PC9? It looks more or less like the SCR.

PC9 is a fine gun for the price. The Magpul backpacker stock is supposed to drop in the fall for it as well and that will fix some of the ergonomic problems the base model has.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

dema posted:

Sig MCX Virtus pistol. I know it's not an ar-15, but how do we feel about it? My LGS has one in grey and it's quite lovely looking. Think I may snag it tomorrow.

I've shot one. It's nothing special in my opinion. I personally wouldn't spend the money on it but it was pleasant and fun to shoot and seems like a nice gun if you like the look/balance.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Yudo posted:

I recently bought another 16 inch 5.56 upper and am looking for something different. Without a suppressor, is a 10 inch or so 300 blackout any fun to shoot given a pistol brace? I have a 7.62x39 AK with a gigantic break that I imagine puts it into the ball park, but have only stood near someone shooting a 5.56 AR SBR and all that stood out was how very loud it was.

What you're looking for is a linear compensator. They don't make it actually quieter, but they do reduce flash and some muzzle climb, and they direct 100% of the gases straight forward so you have less concussion and noise where you are behind the gun and what your range mates will feel beside you.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-Covert-Comp-5-56-p33189471

This is my preferred linear comp, they have versions for all the calibers on their site. I have one right now on an 8.5" 5.56 rifle and it is noticably less concussion and noise than my 14.5" muzzle braked 5.56 rifle.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Palmetto State Armory AR-15 in .223 Wylde 18"

M-Lock Rail
NiB BCG 

Geisele Super Charging handle
Anderson Lower w/ Milspec Trigger
Magpul CTR

I bought one of those uppers for my first AR. The chamber was so out of spec you had to mortar it every time you wanted to unload it and it cost me another $150 to get it unfucked but now it shoots very well. I would stay far far away from a used PSA/Anderson gun.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Hey, AR thread, whats a good, complete, Barreled upper out there right now for about... 5 to 6 hundy? 7 max?
I'd like to stay in the 16 neighborhood

With BCG and charging handle, or without?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone have experience with IWI as a gunmaker? Their Zion 15 looks like a pretty good affordable package for a first time buyer like me. They a reliable maker?

My galil ace has worked flawlessly and I'm really happy with it. Their AR is probably fine quality, but it's nothing special from the specs I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

the yeti posted:

Reckon asking here too is smart

KE Arms has blem assembled lowers for $150. And goon SinistralRifleman works there. And there's a discount code that should be good for more discounts on their stuff.

http://www.kearms.com/store/p/833-KE-15-Complete-Lower-Receiver-BLEM.aspx

Someone with better search can probably find the discount code in this thread before I can