Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

"Karl and Gun Jesus."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

I don't take issue with their choice of a carbon fiber hanguard, but I would get bumper inserts for the unused mlok slots to try and help durability. Burning your hand on a ripping hot handguard just because your gun's been sitting out in the Arizona sun seems.... bad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

These pics got me thinking to seeing what I could grow out of the seeds in the bin and uh. Does anyone know what happened to Exile Machine?

They seem to have up and vanished off the face of the planet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

I have a 1x prism with the reticle etched into the glass that I use because astigmatism.

I still have cowitness flip-up BUIs, they're drat near weightless enough as to not matter, and sometimes the reticle disappears in shadow when I don't have the sight turned on.

(I cannot bring myself to do the 45 degree offset sights thing.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 19, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

What do we think about the Meprolight HUD?

I'm hoping it's usable if you have eyeballs that are out of spec.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Oho! Russell Phagan, the man himself!

Congratulations on the official product launch.

I do have a question from Kalifornia, though. Would KE be able to offer service to put a Kydex flapwrap on the grip of the lowers to make buying them less of a pain for those of us in states with bad gun laws?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah, but if you receive it into your hands with the wrap already in place, it neatly dodges any questions of.... oh crap. What's the word. I haven't been to calguns in ages..... "constructive possession"? Just because the grip isn't something that you can take off and throw away if you're going featureless.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Dice manufacturing plays a huge part in the randomness of the final products due to how the throw physics are affected by finishing, paint application, cooling time in the mold, and other factors. Louis Zocchi does not have a ponytail, but he has spent several decades ranting about dice irregularities and making his own enhanced randomness dice.

The continuing (albeit smaller) problem with his GameScience dice, and pretty much all dice in general, is that the pips or numerals are all molded at an even depth which will still disrupt weight distibution, especially in six sided dice. I recall someone doing a Kickstarter way back that had actually accounted for this in a set of precision milled D6 that had varying depth of the pips to take the mass of the removed material of each pip and the pip layout into consideration to maximize even weight distribution as much as possible. Using harder metals like stainless steel and tungsten also aided in wear resistance to the die's edges. Doing that with a full standard 7-piece set of polyhedral dice, though, would unfortunately be almost impossible from a market standpoint given they'd probably cost into the quadruple digits given the immense added complexity.

Take it from someone who tried to make dice out of scrap material during downtime to look busy: You're not gonna like what heavier metals do to your kitchen table after a dozen throws or so.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Clearly what needs to happen is a SiliconLottery.com but for dice.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Dude, Karl's SHOT shitposts are gems.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It does seem like they've changed their logo.

New:

Old:

And a FB post I found: https://www.facebook.com/strikeindu...15732291779148/

Glad to see that's finally cleared up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

You know they do make crossbolt-style safeties for the AR, right?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Craptacular posted:

How would you define what's an AR15 and what's not? You could go with the really strict definition as a rifle manufactured by Colt, which is semi- or full-auto, magazine-fed, direct impingement, and chambered in .223/5.56mm, and literally has "AR15" engraved on the side of it, but I think we can all agree that's a bit much. Arguably, any of those requirements are not essential. Consider the following:

• Any rifle not made by Colt.
  • The Troy PAR pump action (not semi-auto).
  • Rifles with .50 BMG uppers, which are usually single-shot (not semi-auto)
  • Rifles using the Fightlite MCR, Freedom Ordnance FM-9, and Lakeside Machine LM7 beltfed uppers in 5.56mm, 9mm and .22LR, respectively. (not magazine-fed. Well, the MCR can take mags too, but you get my point.)
  • The HK416, Wolf T91 or any number of other rifles. (not DI, use either short- or long-stroke gas pistons)
  • The SIG MCX, Brownells BRN180, or any number of other rifles. (uppers don't use a "normal" receiver extension)
  • The Fightlite SCR (doesn't have a normal receiver extension, and has the hammer pin in the "wrong" place)
  • PCCs chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, .22LR or any number of other cartridges. (not chambered for 5.56mm)
  • The Colt SP1. (has the "wrong" diameter large takedown pins, and wrong diameter hammer/trigger pins)
  • AR15 pistols. (aren't rifles) Yes, I realize that I'm using "AR15" in the definition of "AR15". You know what I mean.

I would argue all of those are AR15's. Personally, the definition I'd go with would be a really broad one that would define an AR15 as firearm with a split upper and lower receiver which has front and rear takedown pins in the standard location that's compatible with a legit Colt AR15. But even then, there's probably a firearm which wouldn't even fit that definition which could probably be argued is an "AR15."

I dunno, my definition of AR15, emphasis on 15 is pretty short:

* semi-auto
* The charging handle we all know and love.
* Cycling the weapon after pulling the trigger involves a gas tap on the barrel, whether that goes to a piston or a gas tube, not in my purview.
* Buffer tube stock.
* probably most importantly for an AR15: eats 5.56mm/.223. 7.62mm would be an AR10. Anything not under those two broad categories is just "AR".

To the point that a side-charging AR might still be an AR, I agree but only under extreme duress: The only sensible reason that I give for a side-charging AR is if you need a cheekweld higher and closer to the receiver than the T-handle can accomodate. I'm not going to speculate on what that reason might be, but I allow that it is a situation that may exist, as obviously, the space that the T-handle takes up when fully drawn back is a place that must stay clear and therefore limits the height of the stock. Hell, I still don't like it, because operating the action requires a few behaviors I find questionable:

1) taking your trigger hand off the trigger
2) Reaching over with your other hand
3) Shelling out for a left-hand charging side charger

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 31, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

You know, I'm curious. Anyone know of a BRN-180 upper being placed on a full-auto lower? Does it work?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

.....surely when he says "twenty-five ninety-nine" he means one cent short of $25, right?

.....RIGHT?!?!?!!?!!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

It's JUST a loving UPPER, WHY the gently caress is it TWO-and-a-half THOUSAND DOLLARS!?

Christ, I can only hope that the MEAN upper comes in south of $1k.

edit: Not that I'll ever buy one, just.... I would like sanity to still apply in places, please.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 3, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

I mean.... what are the chances that Magpul buys the ACR back and the Masada lives again?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was kind of wondering how the AR-15 pattern became universal. Armalite didn't hold onto the patent?

You know how gun control banned specific features to single out scary black rifles because out of some misguided fear that it didn't look like their grandpappy's rifle?

We are now at the point where it *is* someone's grandpappy's rifle, and the first iterations are now becoming C&Rs.

edit: which is a roundabout way of saying, gun old, patents expired.

edit edit: That's what I get for opening up a reply window and sitting on it while I read other threads first.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 8, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OCRRTRhRiY

Some HK execs just got a shiver down their spines and don't know why.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Especially considering that a good chunk of barrel deflection is due inherently to the barrels themselves.

We've gotten a lot better at making barrels in the past 60 years with better tools and techniques, and not being GI-issued guns, don't have to use the stupid goverment profile for barrels.

Get the free-float, get a good modern barrel, live your best life, young grasshopper.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Seconding Granite Ridge.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

mewse posted:

Get an assembled upper. You can put a lower together with basic hand tools and patience, but you're not going to mount a gas block without knowing your poo poo.

... are these SHTF prep posts we're experiencing?

If it took one until NOW to prep for SHTF, then they should be congratulated on THEIR UTTER LACK OF URGENCY IN ANY MATTER IN LIFE.

People prepping for SHTF now are gonna be the first ones eaten.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

......that has got to be the most horrific amalgamation of hand tools I have ever seen.

I must have three.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Tremblay posted:

They are definitely in the buy once, cry once category. If you aren't in a rush, and the USD ot EUR conversion isn't completely awful, it is sometimes cheaper to order stuff like that from amazon.de. The delivery time sucks, but it's worth doing the math on. Make sure you have a credit card that doesn't charge currency conversion fees.

DHL declared force majeure on all their air and ocean contracts a few days ago, those bad delivery times are gonna suck worse than usual.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Ceros_X posted:

I prefer this version of the Ambi mag release:
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Ambidextrous-AR15-M4-M16-Magazine-Release-p/au-amr.htm

Both it and the KE Arms one are clones of the Norgon Ambi release, but the Norgon is $79, the KE arms is $50, and the AU one is $25.

For the gas in the face you can have him try a PRI Gas Buster CH (or a Geissele SCH or whatever for ambi) or just do the RTV seal trick on his current one to check it for cheap.

Strike Industries came out with their own version, $40, seems a bit more easily manipulable, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Monolith. posted:

I'm not sure if I could ever fire that. What a beautiful piece.

Gonna bring your enthusiasm down a peg, last I checked the set was $400, the cheek pieces were veneer on sheet metal, and the rest was resin that looks like wood.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

You can't really beef up a charging handle any, it's going to be a largely chintzy-feeling thing along the majority of its length because of how it needs to fit in the upper. Alas, the charging handle was changed from the original Stoner design for a ambidextrous finger hook that would have gone inside the "carry handle".

What you can shop around for is ambidexterity features, larger grip surfaces, and gas seal features if you're running a can. (though you can also mod a charging handle yourself to gas seal, so)

Personally, I hate having that external lock scratching up the side of my upper every time it goes home (I should really get this thing cerakoted) so I run one that has detents that notch into the round recess on the inside of the upper. (there are reports that overgassed or suppressed guns overpower the detents too easily, though, YMMV)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

It's as good a thread as any.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 26, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Anybody know whatever happened to this guy? https://old.reddit.com/user/Tri10bite

He was the one that posted photos of a bolt-together AR lower last year. This thing:

Did his plans ever get out onto the internet anywhere?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Ceros_X posted:

I've been finding it hard to pick up some parts - but mostly parts made by one MFG only. For example, it's been hard but not impossible to pick up lower parts kits sometimes, but Tailhook Braces seem to be sold out everywhere. I managed to find one but it hasn't provided any shipping notification status or tracking after a week... Very annoying.

https://nozirohsystems.com/ is the official website - per their website they were expecting an ATF determination in the spring but nothing yet. Blog hasn't been updated since Aug 2019.

Not the same design, and certainly not the same guy. From that guy's reddit post history:

I've tried to find what they were talking about, searched DEFCAD, various other FOSS CAD gun repositories multiple times since then. No dice.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 31, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

SinistralRifleman posted:

Coupon code 13370pz is still valid for 20% at KEArms.com for something awful TFR members.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

Please make a white or light grey version for dyeing.

Or just do a run of wacky colors. Or both!

poo poo, I think a run of 70's tie-die swirl lowers might actually kill Captain Log.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

DkHelmet posted:

I do 576gr polymer coated hardcast

I thought that was a typo at first.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Also removes the need for a lube groove, and lube. The latter causes extra smoke when it burns with powder, the former becomes an unnecessary feature.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Honestly, enough of us right-handed shooters gravitate towards ambi controls anyways that it genuinely isn't a problem.

Just a note with those mag releases with extended levers, like the KAC there, be aware that those lever off the side of the receiver and can cause wear over an extended period of time there. For that reason, I prefer the Norgon-like ones. (But don't buy the Norgon ones, their prices are ridiculous because they owned the patent, which has now expired. Strike Industries makes one, there's a cheapo Norgon lookalike you can get on Optics Planet, aaaaaand there's absolutely one more than I'm forgetting.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

Picked up my little naked baby from my FFL today. Now to figure out what gimmicky rollmark to burn into it. Lastimosa armory? Iron Front with silly safe/fire labels?

E: it's a tactical machining nomar lower with all the necessary info in tiny letters on the front of the magwell.

Papa Scorch bless.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Solve your hot handguard:
http://www.kearms.com/shtf-wrap

13370pz for 20% off.

I'm actually more curious what SHTF is supposed to stand for here, because it's clearly not the usual meaning. Is it "Something to Hold when the Temperature's Fucked"?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

The only bufferless BCGs that I know of are the ones that popped up at the end of last year, that uses the AR-180 dual-spring-and-guide-rod assembly behind a cut-down AR-15 buffer with a side of a few coils of regular buffer spring glued onto the end to taste.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

The longer magnifiers that can over hang the rear sight make it easier to have everything in place and get the correct eye relief. The Holosun is good in this regard. The Trijicon Mount also allows more over hand adjustment. A magnifier round up video is on the agenda when I finish reviewing all the American made red dots.

In other news the KP-15 cavities are completed and we are getting that much closer to production
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCY1onmD2X3/?igshid=1chdkpbqm73qc

Instagram demanding a login just to look, sigh. Will a friendly goon help out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Right tool for the right job.

If you need to stop a car, you need something like those kevlar nets with hooks that tie up the front axle, or this thing that mounts to the front of a car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJXMbX_NfbE

Anything else is making do, and you have to deal with the consequences of being unprepared and underequipped.

Is the average citizen and/or protester going to have these things in case of attempted murder using a car missile? Probably not. Should they need to have this? Absolutely not.

Why am I going through hypothetical questions that everyone knows the answer to already? I dunno. I think that if lighting the guy up were the correct thing to do, they wouldn't have research and development into this kind of poo poo that kills axles or rips out driveshafts when they could just have someone with a .50 cal punch holes in engine blocks instead. And .50 cal's a lot bigger than a .223, a .300, or a 6.5spc/Grendel, even a .458 SOCOM.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 24, 2020