Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gettin in on the ground floor.

Also the OP is missing the cool new animation video that was in the last thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sig used to make these but gave up.

I've added more to my collection since this photo too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Somebody Awful posted:

What's the model name/number? That fixed rear might work for a Diemaco build.

It works nice for a Diemaco alternative which is why I got it but then I scored an actual Diemaco rear

There's no sig part number, only this item name "REAR-SIGHT-FIXED-AR" $70.

For a Diemaco alternative I've also tried these:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Fixed-Rear-Sight-p/mi-cbuis.htm

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Monolith. posted:

Is the Raptor still the approved generic charging handle?

Generic? Itís pretty Gucci mang

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Irons will survive things a red dot won't like physical/water/fire....EMP etc.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or pick up a prism scope with the reticle etched into the glass.

You can break the glass on those that irons may survive. Just saying.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Even scopes have BUIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrY_4qFNmvQ

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Internet Wizard posted:

Get a flashlight, don't shoot a family member. The brighter the better, anybody saying there's such a thing as "too bright" and that the reflection will blind you either has walls covered in mirrors or no idea what they're talking about.

Thereís technically a Ďtoo brightí it just doesnít exist in a hand sized light....yet. I could see something like a 3000lumen light being way too bright indoors with white walls if your eyes are dark adjusted/just woke up and the light is setup to go into its brightest mode. But for normal run of the mill lights, no.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Put some ND gel in front of your light. You can always rip it off if you need the extra brightness. Does SF make lens covers maybe you can use that to hold a light blocking filter.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Miso Beno posted:

Holy poo poo - Combat Armory is selling kind of competent looking 16" Midgas, free-float "Melanite" coated AR uppers with BCG for $180 with coupon code take15

Who's gonna be brave enough to waste ammo on one?

DITS

I'm game

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Whats wrong with a poverty pony? Also CA so it's going to have to be a bit -different-

I also have some of my 'practice' 80% that are all good with the state but a bit rough I never intended them for any gucci parts.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What do we think about the Meprolight HUD?

I'm hoping it's usable if you have eyeballs that are out of spec.

Probably worse for broken eyes thatís my hot take.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CAV lowers also like one longer hammer pin. Itís the same extended length as the ones that are used in the now fostech magnesium lower. You can get them from fostech and Vseven systems also sells extended hammer pins too. Itís not needed but it looks nicer IMO when the pin head is flush with the receiver.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Miso Beno posted:

Dope. I wonder if standard pins just don't sit flush against the outside of the receiver body.

I have spares of the long ones since Iíve been meaning to build up 4 CAVS. I can send you a set to try if a normal pin is shy of the surface.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Man I wish every hobby had people as involved as Ian and karl.

They might you just have to look!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Why even stay around if KE is doing one? How is KE permitted to even make them? Did they buy the patent? Licensing? Russel being on with KE really makes it seem that they just bought the patent or are licensing from GWACS and GWACS is going to retire.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don't the pins sit a bit proud? You can usually use the edge of a hard surface like a table top corner or wood post to push the pin out just enough to expose and grab the flanged end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oho! Russell Phagan, the man himself!

Congratulations on the official product launch.

I do have a question from Kalifornia, though. Would KE be able to offer service to put a Kydex flapwrap on the grip of the lowers to make buying them less of a pain for those of us in states with bad gun laws?

You should be able to buy a stripped KE-WWSD lower without an upper attached as is just like any other lower from a CA FFL. I would imagine someone would start making kydex wraps for them eventually.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, but if you receive it into your hands with the wrap already in place, it neatly dodges any questions of.... oh crap. What's the word. I haven't been to calguns in ages..... "constructive possession"? Just because the grip isn't something that you can take off and throw away if you're going featureless.

Haha I guess. I have so much junk I have some manual action uppers so no constructo convitco for me!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SinistralRifleman posted:

As for the lowers I want to sell lots of those. I will note youíll be getting a better product for a lower MSRP than when the CAV-15 was introduced 20 years ago.the original MSRP was $150. The MK3 will MSRP at $100

Spread your seed Russell.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So for this size of a job how many mold 'sets' are being made for this first run? Is KE running the injection machines in house or is that being done by a vendor? And what kind of life can you expect out these molds?

My machinist buddy was a mold maker in home country so I like to pick his brain about this stuff.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The CNC trimming sounds good. Would look better than the hand trimming Iíve been doing on MKIIs? I know sinistral has a video on how to hand finish them. Would be cool to see Karl and Ian do a factory tour on some of the processes on the MKIII. I know gun people would eat that up. Just donít let Karl write any jokes his humor is awful.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Oh Karl's improv interview style humor is fine. It's when he does his own scripted humor that's just really weird.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What car do you have? Getting those big hard cases into cars can sometimes be difficult.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Captain Log posted:

Thanks man.

God Damnit.

You can still snag one on the used market if you really wanted one that bad.

I guess towards the end a bunch of WWSD buyers had to contend with the pink and green ones but they might be dumping them in favor of the new MK3

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BIG HEADLINE posted:

2016 Subaru Legacy.

According to this:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2016.html

your largest dimension horizontal trunk opening is 41.5 inches. Thatís going to be tight for a 42Ē or even longer hard case. You can certainly go in diagonally one end first and it will fit fine but if you keep junk in the trunk like many do it might not be the best choice of case for your vehicle.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Please do ODG, MCT, purple. In that order.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Isnít grip angle related to length of pull? They are keeping length of pull the same as MK2. I mean itís probably so subtle and everyone is a little different.

Very curious how magpul would have designed it in the alternate timeline.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

16Ē AR is about ~36Ē overall with a not goofy muzzle device. A 18Ē should be just 2Ē more.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

If itís pinned and welded then the barrel is probably 14.5 and it 16. Threads are usually 0.5Ē so youíre probably closer to 36Ē overall

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BIG HEADLINE posted:

38" exactly, actually.

Going with the 42-inch Plano AW2.

Should be a tight fit in your trunk but not impossible. I personally go with soft cases so I can shove a poo poo ton of rifles into my compact it's like a clown car of guns.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Here are some dumb lowers I haven't posted in a while. I'll build them into final form this year I swear.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DeesGrandpa posted:

Would buy a globex

Other side:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Blink and you'll miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNdi8IDzsok#t=1729s

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Want but it better have a side charge version.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Miso Beno posted:

anything can be side charging if you try hard enough with a dremel

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I don't think a roller system would reduce recoil tho but the impulse would be different.

Also I think they might need to do a side charge thing anyway since roller locking requires significant effort to unlock manually which might be awkward with a rear charge.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 30, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zhanism posted:

Whats the benefit of this over a standard blowback 9MM?

Decreased carrier/reciprocating mass. Felt difference?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zhanism posted:

Seems like a lot of extra complexity for a barely marginal benefit. Its not like the PCCs these days are open bolt guns that have first round accuracy issues.

Bragging then. It's a proven system. People want the AR and MP5 to have a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Craptacular posted:

It's not just bragging. In comparing my 9mm CMMG Guard upper with my blowback 9mm upper, the Guard has noticeably less recoil.

The guard has that delayed locking thing right? Is the carrier/buffer also lighter compared to your blowback?