Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's an old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Whoa. I'd be really curious to know the story how that thing got into an individual's hands.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I can see some prototypes going missing but that thing is incredibly rare.

I like your idea though. We need another NFA amnesty.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Should be able to get an Aero LPK without grip, etc for $25.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The whole development of the AR10/AR15/M16/etc is well worth the purchase price of The Black Rifle. There's a PDF of it floating around but it reads like poo poo due to formatting.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

There is an enthusiastic goateed ponytail who is well respected in every hobby, guaranteed. Excluding maybe embroidery but thatís a hard maybe.

There are tons of old school folks in cut and sew, including embroidery. Trouble shooting a multihead embroidery machine is easily up there with fixing a machine gun, just smaller.

None of them that I've met have pony tails but they are hell with a pair of tweezers and some readers.

SinistralRifleman posted:

As I mentioned initially I/we tried to work with GWACS to make more MKIIs, but after they disappeared it became apparent that starting anew was the way. And I spent most of 2019 working out the economics and business aspects of making that happen along with assembling investors. Now my focus is on bringing all the different tech and manufacturing aspects together to bring a better functional product to market.

That's a loving awesome turn of events.

mischief fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 24, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Or just keep everything.

This is the way.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I don't think the complaint is painful recoil, it's that the rifle moves differently.

The recoil impulse is more similar to something like an AK with the higher amount of reciprocating weight. The rifle tends to kinda dive up and down as the mass moves.
I've shot a poo poo ton of 9mm AR's and never experienced one that was physically uncomfortable.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Why in the world would anyone buy what's left of the Bushmaster legacy?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Still not sure why anyone is challenging the colt mag for 9mm AR.

Captain Log posted:

Also - Ciener 22 kits. They can be bought for tens of dollars. Worth it?

Really depends what you want to do. They made sense as a cheap way to learn a manual of arms and then later as a cheap way to shoot stuff.

Today? Makes more sense to throw another Benjamin at it and get a dedicated .22 upper.

mischief fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 1, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Or just buy a Sterling. I wouldn't spend a grand on a later polymer rifle.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I wonder how many were made. It might have potential as an investment gun.

You can get the earlier Sterling and Howa manufactured guns with stamped receivers for about the same price lately. They're anywhere between $1000-1500 rifles and have been in that price range for a good while now. There's no real niche for them, collector wise.

The magazines, though, those things sell like crack. Sterling mags are always solid impulse buys at auctions.

Edit:

Cloudyak posted:

Colt M16a1, 9 million serial so I am pretty sure its a police gun. I am going to FOIA request and post about it once its all said and done. It has a bit of wear which is what I was looking for because I want to shoot it a lot. I got it on the start of the down turn and while I have not seen another m16a1 go cheaper the market is getting close. It was an estate sale and it took a bit of tinkering to get running well. They had it in a 733 config, truly a person of taste. But the gas must have been set up for the cheapest ammo possible because with 193 I kept getting hammer follow. Victor at US anodizing tried to help me out but his instance on using only colt parts really slowed down the trouble shooting. I need to post more M16 stuff.

Representative picture

Solid awesome. That's my next big jump now that I'm pretty set on suppressors and weird old poo poo. I go back and forth between an old lower and RDIAS but either way, loving sweet purchase.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mine came with 3 40rd steel mags and two 30 rd old Thermold mags. I only ever opened one, it just doesn't get shot all that much.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Magpul's expertise is in molding and casting. It's not clear to me why apart from their brand recognition they would have a competitive advantage in manufacturing firearms.

Magpul could just about poop in a box and sell it right now. It would be a pretty heavy risk getting into firearm manufacturing but they've got more than enough brand recognition and capital to make that jump if they really wanted.

Like Cyrano said, they surely already have an SOT with all the demo guns they use. That's another 1/3rd of the battle there.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Most of the old Colt stuff tops out around $1500 in my experience, barring the weird poo poo. What model was it?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I got an early serial SP1 for $1200 if memory serves. They've been starting to be C&R eligible which has bumped the needle a little but two grand for a clapped out one seems unreasonable.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, that's the style. Maybe Colts are going to fetch dumb prices now that they've stopped production? I just thought it was a neat piece of po-surp, but I probably wouldn't have even bought it at $1000.

SP1 should be skinny barrel, triangle handguards, and full length stock. I definitely wouldn't pay $2k for one dressed up like something more modern.

Edit: Crappy cell phone photo in the garage.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Jelly of that scope. I've got a nice low serial SP1 but haven't been able to find a deal on the 3x optic.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I have a... Colt problem.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

aint nothing 'nam about that rifle.

Not even in spirit.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Action-Bastard posted:

I Came Out to Have a Good Time and I'm Honestly Feeling So Attacked Right Now

PM me an address and you can borrow the Black Rifle books. Vietnam was an incredibly crazy period of time for the platform.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Anybody seen these before? There isn't a single marking on any of the couplers. It's your usual mix of Parsons, Okay Industries, Colt, Adventure Line, etc. for the mags but that's the first time I've seen these.

Completely unrelated but from another estate auction:

WWI era. I think I'm going to reframe it but not sure yet.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mosin Crate just listed some Colt 601 parts kits if anyone is curious about stupid expensive old AR stuff.

They're gorgeous but well too rich for my blood, especially with the times being what they are.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

But retro AR & AK builds are A-OK.

I'm not tracking, and he's not posting seriously. It'll all be okay.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Would doing a pin & weld of a can with a removable baffle stack keep a sub-16" AR with a proper stock a single stamp gun?

That's how all of the single stamp baby guns I've seen worked. The Spikes Black Widow I've got is integral with a plate on the front to remove the baffle stack for cleaning, single stamp.
I don't know poo poo about welding so I can't say how practical it is to do it in a home shop though.

I asked a similar question about a 14.5" barrel with a Gemtech Trek and everyone recommended against it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I ended up selling the 14.5" barrels and doing just that.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I built SBR's. This was before all the brace stuff really took off.

My only point was to caution him about welding suppressors.

Edit: I still really like a pinned 14.5" on a rifle. Just feels the most intuitive for me out of any of the options.

mischief fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 12, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I stopped doing parts lists and just started collecting buckets of parts. Then when I build itís like shopping from myself and everything is something I like and would actually buy

....donít be like me

I have a hutch in our extra bedroom that is literally full of unfinished AR ideas and bits and pieces. Lately with me being home more than usual it has started to spread into the cabinet in our kitchen as well. It is an affliction. I've got five or six lowers just floating around.

My opinion, folks asking about a first AR - Aero is great but Anderson is fine. I've built several rifles with their stuff and had no issues.

mischief fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 15, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Forgotten Mega billet lower he says...

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

You can have my aluminum 30 round mags when you pry them from my dead hands in the streets. I've used them quite a bit casually and for 3 gun and never torn one up.
Brownells makes good mags. Magpul makes an even better followers for them.

You used to be able to find old USGI (Center Industries, Okay, Adventureline, etc) for really cheap as well. Most of my mags are surplus/posurp and I just think they look neat.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We're part of a pretty simple DLA & Army contracting process at work and believe me, I'm sure there is at least one document with specs for the most banal elements of that rifle. We don't do any critical service items thankfully but I know some folks over at KDH making body armor components and yeah... gently caress those contracts.

Edit: What I'd really like to see is whatever current purchase description is being used to manufacture current production rifles. I'm sure it's nowhere near public clearance though.

mischief fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 26, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I bet it costs Trijicon $150-200 to make an ACOG. Of course there are initial costs of tooling that have probably been absorbed decades ago. Grinding glass in the US is not cheap (is it the glass machined in the US?) but ACOGs don't take that much glass.

Should be, I can't imagine they don't have to be Berry compliant.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I have another build plan even though the first one isn't finished.

1. Rocket Armory lower ($95 after transfer)
2. Black Rifle Depot Lower Build Kit ($80)
3. Wolf A1 upper ($470)

RocketWolf AR for a total of $635 before shipping. Am I developing a problem?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I mean I don't need any more lowers but $120+ shipping.....

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

There is a lot of things they should teach in school.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

Oh weird that was meant for the June thread. must have gotten lost while phone posting.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've been buying and wearing Hawaiian shirts for 20 loving years. This boogaloo poo poo can kiss my rear end, we're getting tropical on an AR god dammit.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

ZebraBlade posted:

Someone on twitter said eating rear end is a white supremacists dogwhistle so best I can do is a unenthusiastic blowie.

First they came for the tossed salad, and I did not speak out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

There's a 20% coupon code too but my search is failing me.