Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

What are the questionable ideas in the WWSD rifles? Am I dead in the streets with my gunner profile Faxon barrel and PDQ bolt catch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I thought the WWSD thing was p neat, but not the end all be all of "hey do this" build guides. Did take some parts from their builds and put 'em in my rifle, tho. That captured buffer spring is just , especially paired up with a Geissele charging handle.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Same. Brownells LPK with no grip or trigger, Geissele trigger and Tangodown BG-16 been serving me well.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Action-Bastard posted:

OR I could build my own upper around this awesome Faxon 16" pencil barrel:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/faxon-firearms-16in-legal-slim-perm-flash-hider-14-5in-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-leng.html
Pros: Faxon seems to be the end all be all for pencil barrels, and it has the flash hider I want
Cons: I would have to assemble my own upper which I've never done before and I can't say I'm terribly motivated. Looking at the other parts needed I would be spending more to build a complete upper around this barrel as well.

Roll your own, the biggest hurdle to clear is installing the gas block. Faxon sells pinned barrels through AIM Surplus though:

https://aimsurplus.com/faxon-firearms-16-in-pencil-223-5-56-4150-qpq-nitride-barrel/

Out of stock at the moment, but it's certainly an option!

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

I'll once again chime in (use a burner card yada yada) that all the PSA stuff I've bought was fine, and per the internet they seem to have good CS if yours is fucky. Their lovely politics is republican/trump memes, and while I don't like it at all (nor do I buy those products) it's a lovely fact of our hobby that no matter your leanings you're going to wind up buying products produced/loved by people on the right, and mostly likely the far right. PSA kits are incredibly cheap, and getting an entire loving AR built for $350 is getting a lot more people with only a passing casual interest to actually buy a gun they saw in a movie or video games or whatever. Adding more money to get a better product is likely better in the long run, but a lot of non-gun people just aren't going to do that and a dirt cheap reliable gun/kit is a pretty nice option for a lot of people.

Their politics are endorsing alt-right talking points favored by folks that have killed others and calling those concerned about approving white supremacy SJWs on their own webpage. It's not just do oh ho they posted a Trump pic.

poo poo this is the same company that floated a lower called the Hogg Hunter and was surprised their base told them holy gently caress delete this right now

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Ceros_X posted:

There's a whole thread for talking about lovely politics in the firearms industry, can we not rehash it all here?

TL;DR PSA is hard to beat for ready to go AR stuff (if you're willing to play the RMA game they will fix any issues), your CC info can get stolen so use a burner card, people don't like their politics.

You can also buy a preassembled upper (the upper requires the most non-standard tools and equipment) and a lower and a lower build kit and assemble it yourself with some hand tools and a YouTube video. It is also often cheaper to buy and upper and a lower (even completely assembled) assembled because this avoids paying the 10% excise tax on complete firearms.

Perhaps folks were not aware of that thread.

Someone actively shopping for AR parts should be completely aware of PSA, and viable alternatives.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Any of y'all got good and straight forward penetration tests comparing defensive 5.56 loads to buckshot and pistol JHPs? Finding consolidated data is kinda tricky as all I'm finding are quotes to unlinked articles on arfcom and such.

Did find this though:

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?view=article&catid=13%3Atechnical-info&id=14%3A223-penetration-information&format=pdf&option=com_content

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Sometimes I get an itch to ambi up my lower, I've got a PDQ bolt catch already but that's it. What ambi safety and mag catch would y'all suggest? I'm not sure it matters but I've got a Geissele SD-C trigger in there and I've heard some stories about particular ambi safeties not getting along with certain triggers

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

gileadexile posted:

Few more questions about my AR build. I'm picking up my lower tomorrow, and I've pretty much decided on an Aero upper with a Magpul handguard. Probably go with an Aero phosphate BCG, and maybe, unless I hear bad good thoughts, about an Aero lower parts kit and trigger.

The thing that I'm having some misgivings about is the buffer and stock. I'm wanting mil spec, but the thing I'm having a hard time deciding on buffer weight. I'd like something soft shooting, but reliable too.

I don't really have a desire for free float this or red dot that at this point, and I really like the looks of a dissipator, with that sight pushed way out there and a clean, no barrel look, but again, way over any experience I may have.

I do plan on going full A1 or A2 like my dad carried in the first Gulf War at some point in the future, but that's later on a different lower.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but work is slow and I have all sorts of tabs open with AR parts.

You could be Super Cool and get one of those captured buffer springs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XiLjVDs38

I like mine a whole lot but it might be more than you're looking to get

Also you should totally do a dissipator once you get all your parts sorted out, dissies are rad as hell

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Is this kind of wear on a bolt catch normal?

A buddy was asking me about wear on the PDQ bolt catch and I got to looking at mine, and it doesn't look bad compared to some I've seen but I've never really taken a close up look at one either so

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I'm just glad the PDQ wasn't vaporware, mine has been working great but I did find a bunch of reviews from folks reporting chipping/breaking

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Captain Log posted:

About those Hogue AR grips -

I've got almost all my gun grips from Ebay for cheap, including some really nice ones. On Ebay, I absolutely cannot find those listed new or used. Does Ebay have some "NO AR!!!" thing I don't know about? I bought some AR parts from there before, so I don't think that's the case.

Thirty bucks for a rubber Hogue seems a bit steep. Where should I look? AR isn't the best search term in the world.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-pistol-grip-prod24964.aspx

For what it's worth, I really like my Tango Down BG-16 grip:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-bg-16-rifle-grip-prod18239.aspx

It's not as sticky and squishy as a Hogue, though

pew pew pew

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Final Blog Entry posted:

Just posting these as a cautionary tale to those looking to put their first AR together. This started as one that I put together in 2012. Proceed with caution.

Yo tell me about that one second from the right 👀

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can I get takes for other companies? I want to have some flexibility for some of my parts and reduce my cost if I can.

Aero and Faxon are good, whereas PSA is proudly pro fascist.

Here is a thread about shitheels in the industry.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

PookBear posted:

heads up the one area that ar-15s aren't full on legos is installing a free float tube as they have different requirements on how to attach. Found this out the hard way.

I'm really happy with my Midwest Industries rail in this regard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjCGBWweyI

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Someone tell me about .22 uppers, I had a notepad file ages ago with a shopping list but it seems to have vanished. Thinking about a Nordic Components upper, what mags would I need for one of those?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Finally got a good long wrench for adjusting my gas block, been leaving it probably too wide open for a while now. When dialing in gas, should I use low pressure ammo? I've got a whole bunch of steel case Silver Bear kicking around that seems like it'd be a good choice.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

You're going to want to adjust it to what you normally shoot. If it's dialed for a low pressure ammo and you start shooting a bunch of high pressure you could beat the gun up, cause extra wear, etc. If you dial for high pressure ammo and shoot a bunch of low pressure you're going to get malfunctions firing it because the gun will be under gassed.

That's a good point. Wonder what ammo I've got is the highest pressure out of this lot

XM193
M855
75gr TAP FPD (rip this round, but apparently it likes to ice pick so maybe no big loss?)
64gr Gold Dots

Kinda prefer Gold Dots but I don't have a whole lot of those to fiddle with

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 26, 2020

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Tremblay posted:

Who is the manufacturer for these:

XM193
M855

Plenty of manufacturers state they are loaded to spec, but we all know that is bull.

M855 is Federal, XM193 is Magtech

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dialed it in with Gold Dots, only took five rounds to get positive ejection and bolt lock on an empty mag. Was gonna do some more to make sure but some boner called the cops about someone shooting an Assault Gun of Warô and a couple of deputies showed up. They looked super loving bored and didn't even care about it but welp guess we should respond.

Cause ya know, super slow fire of one roughly every 30 seconds minimum warrants a 911. Weird how cops only roll out when I've got the AR but never show for pistols or shotguns or any other rifle for that matter, or show up to anyone else in town popping off cause holy poo poo there's been a lot of that lately

For the record: 11.5" Faxon gunner barrel and an SLR gas block set to the 7th setting works great

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

The one with mid gas? Unsuppressed right?

Yeah unsuppressed midlength. Silencer Shop is backordered on the Dead Air Nomad

Captain Log posted:

What did they say? "Nice gun" or "can we shoot it?"

One of them was kinda worried about my backstop and was all what if you hit a rock oh noooo hmm also it's against the law to shoot in town btw! (this has never, ever been enforced but apparently it's an unpublished ordinance going back to 1952), the other mentioned he'd look around for some land for me to shoot on and come back in a week. I mentioned the one (1) range nearby and how it's always closed and always a ghost town and he gave me one of those knowing looks like yuuup those folk are shits. Wasn't about them to get hands on my gun though, unclean. But both of them looked like they wanted to either be back at the station or at home, zero concern, zero chest beating, etc, like "we really got called out for this?"

also lol I don't think they noticed it had a substantially shorter barrel than the average AR, had it slung behind me over my hip

also also whoever called it in gave them the exact address down to the house number, heard it over the radio, so that's somewhat concerning, p sure I know who it was though and nobody in town likes them on account of them being a perpetual busybody into everyone's business

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Yeah but Iíve been to beebís town, there literally isnít anything to do but be a busy-body!

It's true, normally people just reserve that level of pettiness for church though

Shaocaholica posted:

Cool good to know. I almost got one but was iffy on the unsurpressed reliability. What buffer?

JP Enterprises, no adjustments done to it just straight out the box and into the gun.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

You mean the SCS?

Yup, that's the one!

Edit: Mine is the regular gen 2 model:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/ar-15-silent-captured-springs-gen-2-prod85360.aspx

But if you have a short gun with a can, JP apparently suggests you use the H2 model:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/ar-15-silent-captured-springs-gen-2-h2-prod85359.aspx

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 29, 2020

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Cans not allowed in my state so Iíll be running close to what you have. Might go adjustable too.

How is the recoil on your position 7? Compared to other ARs?

If anything it may have been milder than my regular gassed 16" gun, despite weighing significantly less. Really smooth impulse, just a slight hint of recoil.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I have a TLR-1 HL on my 11.5, am I dead in the streets

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Craptacular posted:

I've got a PWS ratcheting endplate on most of my ARs and it's nice because it 1) eliminates the requirement for staking, 2) can easily be uninstalled and reinstalled, and 3) you can tighten it sufficiently by just holding the receiver in your hand and wrenching the castle nut, without employing a vise & receiver block. You can get them for ~$20 if you look around.

Same, I really like it. Although I stopped using the QD cup as a rear swivel point, the swivel kept getting in the way of my hand

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

That lower looks bendy

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Action-Bastard posted:

Here's something a little vague, not sure how else to phrase it.

These fancy $100 +/- charging handles, are they worth the jump in price over a milspec charging handle?

I'm talking this:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-15-charging-handle-prod97628.aspx

Versus something akin to this:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/charging-handle-parts/charging-handles/ar-15-airborne-charging-handle-prod110510.aspx

The Geissele charging handle is extremely nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSjSneSaLzI

Fully endorse that product

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I still want a drum mag. For reasons.

I like the D60 but I'm still glad I bought mine when it was on sale and I had a Brownells coupon to drive the cost down even more

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

As someone new to guns. It looks like I have basically two overall options for AR-15 type rifles and AR-15 pistols. Either buy one complete from a manufacturer or buy the various components and put them together. Am I better off getting a well put together rifle or pistol from a manufacturer, at what will likely be a premium? or is it so dog simple to put them together that I can safely purchase the components myself and put it together and not have it explode in my hands the first couple times I use it?

Brownells has a whole playlist on youtube on how to build an AR, so you can see how simple it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0aL0wtMPA

Buying prebuilt and upgrading things later as you prefer is perfectly viable as well!

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Is my gas key ok or am I dead in the streets

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Bondematt posted:

You were dead all along.

Is it the picture or are those stakes not touching the screws at all?

My phone camera isn't the best in low light, I'll get a better one with some sun but the staking does seem to be touching bottom screw on the left, and the top screw on the right. It's a Faxon BCG for what it's worth.

Also here's a goofy rainbow slick BCG from Midstate Firearms and an old old CMMG BCG

Faxon on their BCGs:

https://faxonfirearms.com/faxon-5-56-m16-bolt-carrier-group-nitrided/

It's not given me problems but I haven't shot thousands of rounds, either. The staking was the first thing I looked at it when I got it and I was kinda 🤔

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 26, 2020

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Daytime Faxon BCG pic

I think it's fine?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Flappy Bert posted:

The internals are PSA but you're right on the money, the lower is Areo. Thanks all for the thoughts - I'm going to see if I can work on it with a friend and if not, what the hell, I'll just pay someone to finish it.

Another Aero user here that had a hell of a time getting the trigger guard roll pin installed.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

Seattle has been a bit wild today. Here is a video of a dude looted an ar15 from a cop car, and then getting stripped by some operator live in front of a tv crew.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NaveedAJamali/status/1266877895735042049

That's a cop, not an "operator".

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

That Works posted:

I can't remember which thread it was in now but in the last few days people were discussing the cheapest place to buy AR mags, looking for a good source, specifically magpul 30 rounders if anyones got a recommendation?

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/magpul-pmags

Ordered my last batch from here, took a while (I think it was on account of a storm, they're down in Florida so that's fair) but they usually have good prices and deals going on.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The Rat posted:

Bear Creek is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel and just got busted for using illegal labor or some such. I would avoid them and get something more solid to start with.

I think it was Bear Creek that also rebranded themselves after putting out absolute trash tier barrels for a while. Moore something or other.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

SinistralRifleman posted:

Ambi parts:

http://www.kearms.com/Ambi-Magazine-Catch.aspx
http://www.kearms.com/extended-ambi-magazine-catch-for-ar15s.aspx

There are 4 different Ambi selectors we offer, this is the most popular:
http://www.kearms.com/ambi-selector-wedge

Use coupon code 13370pz to save 20%

Does that selector get along with Geissele triggers? Kinda remember finding some posts a while back when I was looking at ambi selectors not working with Geisseles

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

SinistralRifleman posted:

Not without modification.

Dang, good to know though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted: