Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

What up guys, I just built my first AR. How about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Stravag posted:

Is that part of a mag as a front grip?

No, it's one of these: https://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-foregrips/id-6/combined-forgrip-and-spare-magazine-holder.html

Fun contest for all the newbies, count how many bad decisions are in that rifle.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Monolith. posted:

Question on the OP: what set the ATF off on single shot 50s?

IIRC they could be fired and cycled without a lower attached, so the ATF classified them as firearms, which removed most of their desirability. Might as well just get a purpose-built gun at that point.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Miso Beno posted:

fell off of the back of a truck, then got amnestied during the NFA amnesty when they let folks register stolen machine guns as legit?

IIRC Colt sold off a lot of one-off and experimental stuff like that awhile back during one of the times they ran into financial problems.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain Log posted:

little detente things

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's not just bragging. In comparing my 9mm CMMG Guard upper with my blowback 9mm upper, the Guard has noticeably less recoil.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Ah yes, handguards, the defining characteristic of a firearm.

How would you define what's an AR15 and what's not? You could go with the really strict definition as a rifle manufactured by Colt, which is semi- or full-auto, magazine-fed, direct impingement, and chambered in .223/5.56mm, and literally has "AR15" engraved on the side of it, but I think we can all agree that's a bit much. Arguably, any of those requirements are not essential. Consider the following:

• Any rifle not made by Colt.
  • The Troy PAR pump action (not semi-auto).
  • Rifles with .50 BMG uppers, which are usually single-shot (not semi-auto)
  • Rifles using the Fightlite MCR, Freedom Ordnance FM-9, and Lakeside Machine LM7 beltfed uppers in 5.56mm, 9mm and .22LR, respectively. (not magazine-fed. Well, the MCR can take mags too, but you get my point.)
  • The HK416, Wolf T91 or any number of other rifles. (not DI, use either short- or long-stroke gas pistons)
  • The SIG MCX, Brownells BRN180, or any number of other rifles. (uppers don't use a "normal" receiver extension)
  • The Fightlite SCR (doesn't have a normal receiver extension, and has the hammer pin in the "wrong" place)
  • PCCs chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, .22LR or any number of other cartridges. (not chambered for 5.56mm)
  • The Colt SP1. (has the "wrong" diameter large takedown pins, and wrong diameter hammer/trigger pins)
  • AR15 pistols. (aren't rifles) Yes, I realize that I'm using "AR15" in the definition of "AR15". You know what I mean.

I would argue all of those are AR15's. Personally, the definition I'd go with would be a really broad one that would define an AR15 as firearm with a split upper and lower receiver which has front and rear takedown pins in the standard location that's compatible with a legit Colt AR15. But even then, there's probably a firearm which wouldn't even fit that definition which could probably be argued is an "AR15."

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 31, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

But what's an "AR15 lower"? Is a PCC lower which doesn't have a STANAG magwell an AR15? Is a SIG MCX or BRN-180 lower which doesn't have a hole for a receiver extension/buffer tube an AR15? Is a Fightlite SCR lower which doesn't use a normal receiver extension an AR15?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

stgdz posted:

Looks like Remington shut down Bushmaster and dpms.

Watch, I bet they'll end up selling the Bushmaster name back to the guy who sold it to them in the first place, who (IIRC) started and still runs Windham Armory.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I take it those polymer lowers are significantly flawed?

Yeah apparently they break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CsMqdYQjSQ#t=409s

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You know, I'm curious. Anyone know of a BRN-180 upper being placed on a full-auto lower? Does it work?
According to ARFCOM, no it does not function.

Cloudyak posted:

From what I have seen there isn't a sear trip on the bolt. In a month or two when my stamp clears I might see if anyone has one of those uppers for me to borrow to test it out. It would be my jam if it did though.
Cool, what are you getting?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

From what I heard, Magpul started out just making a monolithic short-stroke gas piston AR15 upper, then decided to make a whole gun. I think it would've succeeded more if they'd just stuck with an upper.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I vaguely remember seeing some rumor/pics of some Polish company getting the ACR design for their military. I'm guessing it's 99% rumor but one can dream.

You're probably thinking of the FB MSBS Grot which is not related to the ACR, though it looks pretty similar.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

That said, I'd like a real gun manufacturer to get the ACR/Masada up & running again.
I'd like whoever ends up with the rights to the ACR to release the technical specs and allow anyone to manufacture them. That's a big part of why the AR15 is so popular, and IMO if another design is going to replace it then that design will need to do the same.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

also the assault weapons ban removing any competition lol
Not so much the AWB as the '89 import ban.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The CMMG RDB bolt and carrier are unique.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

1) Your first link is a matched set of an upper and lower receiver. Your second link also has a upper receiver, so if you buy those you'll be paying for a spare that you don't need. It's also really expensive for an upper and lower receiver.
2) Your barrel has a midlength gas tube, but your handguard is carbine length. Technically it'll work, but that would leave the front part of your gas tube exposed.
3) The barrel you linked is 14.5" with a pinned brake to make it 16". This will make it harder or impossible to put the barrel nut over the muzzle, because the brake has a larger diameter than the barrel, which makes it harder/impossible to remove the gas block.
4) Your second link has a charging handle in it already, no need to get another one, as in your last link.
5) You'll also need to budget for some tools to assemble the upper.

e: why don't we make some sample builds for this guy? Here's mine:

1) Aero OEM rifle sans stock, foreend and sights
2) Magpul STR stock
3) Scalarworks LEAP/02 Aimpoint mount & Aimpoint Pro combo
4) Troy MLOK foreend It uses the standard barrel nut, so you won't need a vise block or barrel wrench to install it. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/812441024268
5) Magpul PMAG 10 mag pack

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 18, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Would this be an acceptable fully-assembled upper?
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...rs_1=In%2bStock

I'm looking at the 16" one.

Yes. Do realize that:

1) It's a pencil (thin-profile) barrel, which will heat up faster, but weigh less than a thicker barrel. This may or may not be important to you.
2) It doesn't have a BCG or charging handle included, so you'll have to get those separately.

e: Here's the same upper with a thicker profile barrel. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/m4e1-assembled-upper-receiver-5-56-mid-length-prod109493.aspx

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 18, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You're missing a receiver extension, receiver endplate & castle nut, buffer and buffer spring. You'll probably want a castle nut wrench too.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is it normal to have to get all these separate or is it a kit thing? Also, how did you figure all that out? I just want to make sure if I change something out that I'm generally keeping up on what little bits are/aren't now needed.

You can get the parts separately, or together. This kit would work and it's from a non-lovely manufacturer: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-receiver-extension-kit-prod130180.aspx

You'll also want a castle nut wrench to tighten the nut properly. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-m4-stock-wrench-prod16882.aspx

As to how I know? I've built more AR15s than I can remember.

e: Also for you guys saying a 14.5/14.7" barrel has to have a permanently-attached muzzle device to not be an SBR: you're sort of correct. But you're leaving out the important part that it has to have a permanently-attached muzzle device that makes the whole thing over 16". It's quite easy, especially with a 14.5" barrel, to still be under 16" with a permanently-attached muzzle device.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 19, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's just fine. IIRC the best length for 300 BLK (where the extra length doesn't give you a velocity increase) is something like 9". Supersonic 300 BLK is just like any other supersonic rifle cartridge. You'll suppress the blast from the gunpowder going off, but you'll still get the supersonic crack produced by the bullet. Subsonic 300 BLK is a thing, but it doesn't have nearly as good terminal performance as supersonic 300 BLK.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 19, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Do you guys mean 13.7" or is 14.7" some magic number to use a standard A2 birdcage and still be past 16"?

Yes, that's the whole reason 14.7" barrels exist. 14.5" with an A2 is just shy of 16". IIRC 13.7's are for permanently attached KX3's to make 16", or something dumb like that.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

There's better Aimpoint mounts, and MLOK appears to have won the handguard format war.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh I wasn't trying to doubt or crap on your experience. I'm trying to figure out how my part list exposed needing the receiver extension. From searching the OP again, I'm guessing the receiver extension is universally necessary, but I guess people don't talk about it because it's not a particularly flashy or customizable part. But when I first looked at it, it was talking about carbines a whole lot but here I am trying to use a 16" upper. So I had a damaged notion it had something to do with pushing the barrel out further.

If possible, I'd like to reduce the number of spare bits I end up left over from this. It's mostly for peace of mind. If I have a a few screws and springs from a lower kit sitting on the table, I'll be doubting that I really did put the whole mess together correctly.

I didn't see any duplicated parts in your latest parts list. If you end up with some screws or springs left over, and we'll tell you where you screwed up.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Someone tell me about .22 uppers, I had a notepad file ages ago with a shopping list but it seems to have vanished. Thinking about a Nordic Components upper, what mags would I need for one of those?
I recently built a .22LR upper around a CMMG kit and a Boonie Packer Better-Mag mag block, for use with S&W MP15-22 magazines. The mag block actuates the bolt hold-open, which is nice. You can use the MP15-22 magazines with out the mag block, but the bolt hold-open won't work and the magazines won't be as tight in the magwell.

e: the Nordic appears to be a different design than the Ciener-style design which most other manufacturers use. One thing to consider is that getting parts for a Ciener-style may be easier in the future, whereas you might be stuck if you break something and Nordic ever stops making parts for theirs.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 25, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Soupisgood posted:

Gotta party like it's 1994.
That's too many evil features there, mister. Pistol grip + threaded barrel (+ flash suppressor if that's not just a brake).

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That looks like a 16" barrel. If someone's trying to make as short a rifle as possible but still remain title I you'd think they'd use a 14.5" w/perm FH. If they're not trying to make a short rifle, then why not use literally any other stock?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Thermos posted:

The barrel needs to be 18.5" or longer for the rifle to retain it's non-restricted status in Canada.

I thought all AR15's were classified as restricted though, no matter the length?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Thermos posted:

There are a couple "not-AR" receiver sets that skirt this classification. I think that one is a MDI SLR. ATRS modern sporter is another popular choice.

I just looked at the page for the MDI SLR and the only obvious difference I can see is that the hammer & trigger pins appear to be completely enclosed by the receiver. The ATRS Modern Sporter has a weird kink in the upper and lower to prevent using normal receivers with them. I guess that's enough of a difference from an AR15?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If you just want an Wilson Arms barrel, these guys appear to sell uppers built around them: http://www.jsesurplus.com/search.aspx?find=wilson+arms

If you specifically want that exact upper you linked then I think it's something that ar15part.com assembles themselves so if you can't order from them you're probably out of luck.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've got a PWS ratcheting endplate on most of my ARs and it's nice because it 1) eliminates the requirement for staking, 2) can easily be uninstalled and reinstalled, and 3) you can tighten it sufficiently by just holding the receiver in your hand and wrenching the castle nut, without employing a vise & receiver block. You can get them for ~$20 if you look around.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

in addition to being the only place where I can get a matching green lower, upper, and hand guard set.

Uhh, there's cerakote places all over. Just buy whatever parts you want and then have them cerakoted. Don't buy something just because it's in the color you want. That's literally the least important thing about it.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DeesGrandpa posted:

I have a gwacs and a psa lower (both complete) just kinda hanging around for the last year or seven and have been lucky enough not to have growth. Am thinking of SBRing the GWACS for the gently caress of it then all bets are off

Why? Then you're stuck with an A1-length stock on an SBR with no option for a collapsible or folding stock. I'd SBR the PSA.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ygolonac posted:

Ah, poo poo, ATF won't like the not-truthful manufacturer/location on the rollmark, right? Especially when SBR time comes. (SBR markings would be valid, obviously.)

As long as the required maker's markings are on the gun, then you should be fine. IIRC the ATF frowns on engravings of the autosear hole though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Oh wait I didn't order any magazines.

I live in an unrestricted capacity state, so...what's the best 5.56 magazine capacity and which model is the best in that size?

Or, maybe not the best, but, best balance between price and performance.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/873750006178

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This may be a dumb question but I just got my first AR-15 type rifle. It has a Picatinny rail on the carrying handle, but that seems way too high for an optic. Is there a low profile red-dot I should try?

I've never had a modular gun before, should i just get a flat top receiver?
If you bought an AR15 with a non-removable carry handle, then you bought the wrong AR15. I guess there's an exception for purposely buying a retro-style rifle or whatever, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

This is one of my pet peeves. The correct abbreviation is "300 BLK."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Barrel imports are a no-go for us.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Well yeah and it's pretty easy to get new upper too, so why would anyone want a used upper dripping with maple syrup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Wa11y posted:

Is there any information on how the CMMG MkG radial bolt setup changes things for a 9mm AR? Do you still need a really heavy buffer?
They do lower the recoil over a pure blowback action. I build an MkG SBR for USPSA PCC specifically because of that. I put a hydraulic buffer in mine.