Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

TF TP .22LR build:
CMMG 4.5" barrel with an old Ciener .22 bolt kit
LWRC shorty stock
Magpul K grip, MLOK panels and VFG
SLR MLOK handguard
SWR Spectre II suppressor
Aimpoint M4
Aimpoint 3X-C magnifier
Steiner CQBL-1 vis/IR laser
Surefire Scout with Vampire head
Blue Force Gear Sling

Precision build:
Larue 20" barrel
Geissele Mk4 handguard and NM trigger
Vltor A5 buffer setup
Magpul ACS stock and MIAD grip
Atlas bipod and rear monopod
Leupold 3-18x H58 scope (that's what's on it now, this is an older pic)
Syrac adjustable gas block
Surefire brake

The Blastmaster:
Aero upper/lower set
Ballistic Advantage 14.5" 308 barrel
SLR adjustable gas block
Surefire brake
Magpul M110-length buffer tube, SLS stock, K grip, handstop kit and MLOK panels
Larue trigger
Leupold 3-18x H58 scope
Tubbs flat wire buffer spring
Standard carbine buffer
KAK dual ejector BCG
This thing was a giant pain in the rear end to get running in the initial troubleshooting process. Basically had to replace the Aero BCG, buffer tube, buffer and buffer spring. If a factory built AR10 suits your needs, do that instead of building.

Looks like I don't have recent pics of several of my rifles in their current state. Lots of older, out of date ones if the accessories are any indication.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hayden posted:

Is there a huge difference in BCGs? On a recent PSA sale i saw prices ranging from $60 to over $300. I certainly don't need super top of the line for what will likely spend its entire life as a range toy, but i also don't want to buy garbage. Any particular brands to seek out or avoid?

I've found that nitrided BCGs (as opposed to the standard ones) are much, much easier to clean off FWIW

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I don't think it's gamer in the competition sense of the word, but it is gamer in terms of being min/maxed to a weird degree.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Then again I'm coming at it from a physics perspective rather than a "put tens of thousands of rounds through ARs" perspective, so I might be considering a spherical AR on a frictionless plane.

But what if it was on a treadmill....

Honestly my bone of contention with the WWSD build is that it's tied so hard to the Cab polymer lowers, and those have a full rifle length stock. That makes it a total non starter for anyone less than 5'9", which is basically my entire family.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Sometimes you want to ride the bolt forward and then tap it fully into battery with the FA rather than let it go and make a loud noise.

Edit

Miso Beno posted:

It's a fun thought exercise and an interesting build, but some folks treat it like it's the penultimate general purpose AR, which is something I disagree strongly with.

Yeah I agree with this.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The tech forums can be ok, and the EE is a great source of deals if you know what you're looking for. But yeah, stay out of the General section like it's Chernobyl.

As far as training, there's a company called Makhaira group or something like that that operates out of LFI just north of you on I-25. Haven't heard any bad things. There's also various 3-gun matches if you want to go down that road.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

ChauchetRedemption posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, find the replacement cable for that flash light I have the same exact one I got issued in 2005. Also I did a LED conversion on it (warning it involved filing the refractory cone and some fuckery with the spring that holds it in place) and it works like a dream.

Also I'm looking for cheek riser solutions. As it stands I have a Magpul CTR stock, and I like shooting nose to charging handle. (This thing is already 10lbs unloaded so a PSR stock is kinda blehg.) Taking some basic measurements it feels like the clip on stock riser would work, but id have to fully extend the stock to rack a round in the chamber (I typically adjust LOP in about 3 clicks) So the cheapest solution is to just suck it up and adjust my manual of arms to work around it, Just looking around to see if there's anything else out there I might have missed.

Fake edit:

For reference. Its a vortex mount and Diamondback Tactical scope

You can see how the charging handle just barely hits the stock in my preferred LOP

Ayy that's my clone AR you're quoting, I even went to the trouble of finding the exact Aimpoint M2 with that double battery cap for it

As far as your stock riser dilemma goes, this is basically exactly what you're looking for: https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-risrtm-reciprocating-inline-stock-riser/

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

its 2020 why are buis a thing instead of another red dot on a mount that can retain zero when removed

Cost,I assume

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

boxen posted:

Does anyone have experience with the CMMG Roller Delayed Blowback bolt and barrel conversion?

http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=956

This guy seems like the guy with the most experience with them.

So far his reporting is that it eats ejector springs every 1k rounds.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Kesper North posted:

How the gently caress do you make something that shoots 5.56 heavier than a SCAR 17 jfc

I see you haven't seen my AUG
10lbs unloaded

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

11lbs unloaded with the can

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Is that a NATO stock, or standard?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice. I have a NATO on mine because AUG mags weren't among the pile I stocked up on back when The Doom Came to Colorado.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

For buying Aero parts, Granite Ridge Outfitters is another good source and they have a permanent sale on a lot of their components.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I just built an all-Hodge 12.5" upper, but I won't have time to get out and zero/test fire/etc for a little while. Pity too cause it feels real good just swinging around.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

AK for sure.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The A5 buffer system has been out for a while. I have it in most of mine. Highly recommend it in place of a regular carbine buffer system.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The A2 can be kind of nice if you like a high grip. Just stack your ring finger on top of the nub and it ensures that you have a very high grip. Used to hate the A2 until I found out about that.

I'm all Magpul K grips these days due to the angle, but if someone made a K grip with a nub, I'd be all over it for that reason.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I still cherish the memory of when I ruined a guy's Spikes lower for him at 3-gun by pointing out the two dicks over a toilet thing. Couldn't see his eyes due to his sunglasses, but you could see the creeping disgust roll over his face as he realized it and said something like "gently caress! Now I'll never look at it the same way again, thanks dude!"

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Soupisgood posted:

Is it any worse than Aero's headless man pooping?

To the average gun dude, yeah, probably. Everybody poops. Not everybody swordfights over a toilet.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Got out and zeroed the new upper/optic on Bloodgun. This was all put together a couple weeks ago before the panic went big.

Parts list:
Hodge Defense stripped upper, 12.5" barrel, 11.5" Pinch Lock rail, BCG
BCM charging handle
Leftover Larue gas block from my brother, LT-204 optic mount
Surefire brake, Ultra Scout
BE Meyers MAWL
Nightforce NX8 1-8 mil version

The MV numbers without the suppressor:

MV with the suppressor, gives it about an 18fps boost:

100y group when I'm doing my part, 55gr American Eagle ammo:

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Shooting off the bench always annoys me, and I'm really looking forward to getting this to a 3-gun match and seeing how it does. That's assuming those aren't canceled too due to the virus panic.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 22, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

e;fb ^^^

With the bolt catch pin, and some others, I tend to just get it started with a punch, then slap some electrical tape on the opposite side (so as not to mar the surface), then use some pliers to just push it in. Have to have something in place to make sure the bolt catch itself is aligned with the hole though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah there are some longer Aero mounts that would suit you in that price range.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Under $100 with QD is gonna be tough. The best one I can think of near that price range is the LT-204 which comes out to $140.

https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

And with less time spent in a Syrian torture dungeon!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice, sounds like FOB life basically.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Having a spare floating upper will just end up growing itself a lower anyways. They're like earthworms where if you chop them in half, they'll eventually regenerate.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nah it's totally fine, there's no mechanical or legal issues with it.

Just know that when you have spare parts, they breed in the darkness.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I've honestly never heard of either company, which is a little telling in itself. Might be ok? I dunno. There are so many established brands out there that I'd be hard pressed to go with an unknown at this point.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Unless if you got the MBUS PRO rear sight with the range adjustment on it, it will be fine on 9mm. There's no range calibration or anything, it's just click values to get the elevation and windage on target. Nothing caliber specific there.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah that and they still never had any response to the MK16/MAWL bendy rail thing from over a year ago.

I'm totally fine with the Geissele products I already own (a couple rails - Mk8 and Mk14- , a bunch of triggers), but if I were starting fresh, I'd probably open up my buying research to other companies before buying rather than defaulting to Geissele.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Styles Bitchley posted:

Yeah not a big fan of Geissele's response. They need to understand their market better. Bill isn't working on mining equipment anymore. I think there was some dustup about their rails twisting when dropped as well. Not a good look. He is correct though about the parting line on forging dies and draft angles. I don't know why he doesn't machine them out though like everybody else.

Yeah that's what I was referring to with the MK16 rail/MAWL issue. Supposedly with a MAWL mounted and when dropped around 5 feet, the zero would shift a ton. A bunch of people did their own little at home tests, there were pieces of what were supposedly US Army slides talking about the zero shift, lots of people complaining about it. This was before Xmas 2018, and Geissele said he'd investigate and have an answer after the holidays. No answer ever materialized. Supposedly people were getting blocked/banned from Geissele social media for bringing it up too.

Not a good look at all. I'm confident in my older Geissele rails, but I won't be picking up a Mk16. At this point the first place I'd check for rails is Hodge, if I can find one in stock.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hodge has two rails, the Wedge lock and Pinch lock. They're both super solid bombproof as far as zero shift goes.

The main difference is the Wedge lock is super slim, and needs a certain SLR micro gas block in order to not contact the inside of the rail. Like wise you have to be careful when mounting accessories on the MLOK, especially around the gas block, so that you don't end up touching it with the screws.

The Pinch lock is beefier and a little bigger around, so you don't have any of the clearance issues with accessories and gas block mounting. It's also a fair bit cheaper and made out of 6061 aluminum rather than 7075 like the Wedge.

They also tend to be released in very intermittent batches, so it's either know where to get them (OP Tactical, Weaponoutfitters, OPD Source) and be patient, or pay basically retail price for a used one when they occasionally show up on EE.

Another option if you want the Wedge lock is to get one from someone else that uses the same design, like SOLGW, Zev or Triarc. I'm not entirely clear on how it all works out, if it's licensed or what. The non-Hodge ones tend to be 6061 aluminum, but I dunno if that makes a difference.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My Geissele Black Friday rifle shoots straight and well, but I had to get an accu-wedge to keep the lower and upper from shaking because ~Super Precision~ .

It was bad enough that it was shaking my optic loose from the QD mount after every ~60-90 rounds. There's a slight mismatch between upper and lower color-wise, and when I made mention of this, the G fanboys jumped all over my poo poo about how "anodizing isn't an exact science and keep complaining an G will start cerakoting and I love my OD Green ~limited edition~ federal rail and ."

What optic mount are you running that's going loose that quickly, or at all? Or did you not loctite the ring screws?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Got bored on quarantine! Did some arts and crafts!

SL-S stock to replace the old STR.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hrm, the only way I'd do a UBR is if it went on my 20" prairie dog gun. But from what I'm seeing on a brief google, the UBR doesn't have any ability to take a rail on the bottom of the stock for monopod mounting.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah and it looks like it was for the Gen1 version as well. Dang.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The secondhand market is really good. Check the classifieds on ar15.com for the most options.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Good buy! But you gotta move that rear sight back to the rearmost rail slot on the upper receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Magpul M3 Pmags. 30 rounders unless you want to shoot off the bipod a lot in which case 20 rounders.