Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Yay, I technically killed the old thread!

I would like to do a write-up of the RO635.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Craptacular posted:

What up guys, I just built my first AR. How about this.

8/10 would shoot

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Stravag posted:

Is that part of a mag as a front grip?

Close!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Lightbulb Out posted:

As far as pushing the bolt home when doing checks and stuff.... just push the bolt closed with your finger like the grease gun

But then I'll get my fingers dirty.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DarkHorse posted:

Didn't they say a truck rolled over a bag of guns at one point and the cav arms lowers were the only ones undamaged?

I can’t find it now but there was a video where someone shot the hell out of a GWACS lower with another AR, then they built an AR using the shot-up lower and ran the hell out of it.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

I got ya fam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhvi8c0MF4

They do a lot more than just shoot that poor lower. Run it over with a car, use it to do pushups, all sorts of dumb poo poo. The shooting it is at the end and is obviously the final bit.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DarkHorse posted:

Shouldn't be. You should be able to flick your wrist while holding the BCG and the bolt should come out, then push it in and flick it open again. That's how I test if it's lubed sufficiently.

I think it's fine if it's tight when brand new. The gas rings will be pretty tight. As long as you can still cycle the action by hand without too much effort, it should be fine.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

dema posted:

A rifle for home defense seems a little curious to me. I use a handgun with JHP and a separate Surefire flashlight. Don't like the idea of necessarily having to point the gun at someone/something to illuminate them.

But home intruders aren't high on my list of concerns. Live in a decent neighborhood and I've got a big dog.

The nice thing about bright lights is that you don't have to point it directly at something to see what it is. But having a separate light while working a handgun is perfectly fine.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

What's the difference between the regular Mk3 lower and the "mil-spec" Mk3 lower?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Stravag posted:

How precisley they were cast/ any bubbles in the material stuff like that. Maybe the 3 panel of your d20 is a 10th of a millimeter too high compared to the other panels. Maybe that gives it a tendency to roll more with the 3 panel being on bottom and making the corresponding reverse panel up more likely by .37%. It was NUTS man how offended people were getting

Oh yeah. If you’re not roll-testing every single die a hundred thousand times to have a statistically valid sample size for accuracy verification, you’re NEGLIGENT.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Does anyone remember that batch of vintage Colt 16” carbines that came on the market as po-surp last year?

What did they sell for? There’s a dude at this gun show that has one but he wants two grand for it and it’s pretty beat up.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

mischief posted:

Most of the old Colt stuff tops out around $1500 in my experience, barring the weird poo poo. What model was it?

Not sure, but it was a slick-sided SP1 type with pencil barrel and A1 sights.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Action-Bastard posted:

Is this what you're looking at?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856366447
(Imgur link because gunbroker links like to expire or just stop working: https://i.imgur.com/Mx14t8s.jpg)

$2k for a well used carbine seems outrageous. Colt stamp be damned.

Yeah, that's the style. Maybe Colts are going to fetch dumb prices now that they've stopped production? I just thought it was a neat piece of po-surp, but I probably wouldn't have even bought it at $1000.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Unf. Join us on The Wall and help us repel the northern hordes.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Capn Beeb posted:

dissies are rad as hell

QTIYD

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Yes.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Internet Wizard posted:

The best option is what Atticus said and just put a tube on that goes all the way down to the muzzle and then put a site on that

You're missing the point.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I really wish someone would make midlength triangle handguards

Yussss

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Network42 posted:

How are they passing up on the business opportunity to stuff these together?

I'm going to write a letter right now.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The shop I work part time at has been fielding requests for ARs. The most recent one:

Customer: “I need an AR, what do you have?”

Me: “We have one complete Aero lower and four different uppers available. Cheapest combo would be $600 out the door.”

Customer: “Why would anyone buy from you when I they can get an AR from PSA for $350?”

A fair question... although it looks like the cheapest complete AR on PSA right now is $579, but whatever.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

“When the chips are down, you can trust PSA to get you killed in the streets and your credit card stolen. But at least you saved a couple hundred bucks!”

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Internet Wizard posted:

IR35 come post that 20mm casing I sent you with ~authentic Marine penis engraving~

~* Authentic Trench Art *~

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

drat, B4Ctom1. How y'all are?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thermos posted:

Not mine but I am vibing with it.

S
E
X
X
Y

But yeah, I’d go 14.7 and permanent A2 or something.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ugh. This reloading component shortage has me wanting a dedicated .22 upper.

But I already have an M&P15/22.

But I can't use it at Appleseed.

And I have no idea if it's accurate enough.

But I may never shoot another Appleseed.

A CMMG bolt and dedicated .22 barrel combo are $350, and I have all the other parts I'd need to build it up... except the adapter to use 15/22 mags.

Help me, I don't know what to do.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ilkhan posted:

If you want an internet slap fight have someone suggest your vertical grip should be further out.

You're pushin' my buttons!

The correct answer is no VFG. Hand or finger stops only.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

May I suggest two vertical foregrips - one close to the mag well, and one farther out?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

bulletsponge13 posted:

Magwell hold is also an old school method that was a method for crosstraining on platforms for CQB.

And my boss's boss does it every time on the rifle qual, and he wraps around so aggressively that he blocks the ejection port of his M4 every time. And causes a stoppage. Every time. Every time we go to the range, I warn him not to do that, but he does it anyway. I should install a VFG on his gun just to give him something else to hang on to.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Fukkin what, how

People amaze me

About like this, but he has longer fingers:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU!

(c/o IR35, iirc)

I'm glad someone has that more readily to hand than I do.

So to speak.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The Automator posted:

Oh. Nail polish works just great for that

I got a cheap six-pack of fine tip paint pens from Amazon and so far they’ve been great.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

With a hypothetical Biden administration threatening to treat firearm manufacturing CNC code as subject to regulation by the ATF & covered under ITAR, I can't blame people for being paranoid.

As far as I can tell, almost everything not strictly military-related went from ITAR over to the Department of Commerce's "Commerce Control List" earlier this year, with the goal of making licensing requirements less onerous and license exemptions more broad. So, thanks, Trump?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

mischief posted:

Got my copy of the second edition of Vickers AR-15 Volume 1 and holy poo poo, that's the heaviest book I've ever seen in my life.

Someone needs to pick up a copy of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Nah man, .44 magnum lead semi-wadcutters out of a revolver will totally shatter a car’s engine block.

Or so old issues of Guns & Ammo told me.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

poeticoddity posted:

...I understand how to check POI.

I was trying to find out if anyone had an intuitive sense for whether or not PMC was likely to have enough of a POI change versus the other three rounds I listed to be a concern for non-precision applications inside of 100 yards.
Like, is this a "you probably need to fine tune it on your next range trip" level of variation or a "assume your zero is meaningless and restart the process at 25 yards for safety's sake" kind of thing?
I know I've seen major shifts in POI for .22LR at 50 yards, and I know the .308 I've shot is usually within +/- 4 inches at 100 yards even with major shifts in bullet weight.
But I have no intuitive sense of what to expect with .223 because none of the .223 I've ever shot has had a noticeable difference in POI, but this is a brand I haven't shot before.

It's going to be closer to your .308 experience; .22LR is in a very different class, ballistically speaking. The few times I've zeroed with 62-grain ammo and switched to 55, for example, it's been within a few inches at a hundred yards.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DarkHorse posted:

Yup, Heavier spring plus heavier bcg

This is apparently Wilson Combat's primary insurance against OOB detonations. A friend of mine got their 9mm AR and it was so hard to cycle the action by hand that I thought it was broken. Then I thought there was no way it would cycle with target ammo. But sure enough, it worked fine.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Anyone here have experience running a Simunition 5.56 drop-in bolt? I’m having a problem with mine. I am doing a two-day shoot house class and my first two runs went well. Then on the third run I pulled up on a threat and the gun went click.

Long story short I transitioned to the pistol and finished the run. But every subsequent run that I tried with the M4, same thing. Chamber a round but get a click instead of a bang.

I did a little troubleshooting and discovered that it wasn’t going all the way into battery, not even when hammering on the forward assist. It just springs back from battery a hair, like the extractor isn’t slipping over the case rim. This results in the firing pin not making contact with the chambered round.

I’ve taken it apart and cleaned it, and I see nothing wrong. It wasn’t even that dirty. I even disassembled the weird Simunition bolt and saw nothing amiss. The firing pin floats freely and protrusion looks okay. The extractor looks in-spec and clamps onto a shell rim if I manually place one on there and pivot it down against the ejector. And the extractor moves normally against its spring. There’s no gunk on the bolt head or in the chamber locking lugs.

I’m sort of at a loss right now. It was running fine and then all of a sudden it wasn’t.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

All my ammo is from the same lot but I’ll check it out.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Slim Pickens posted:

Bass pro and cabela's are doing a romeo5 for $100 for black friday, find the flyer in the deals thread.

Thanks for this; I don't regularly watch the deals thread because I'm really buckling down with money, but I'm down for a $100 Romeo5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I found another clue to the Simunition problem: the extractor isn’t catching the case rim, which is causing the ejector to push the bolt out of battery a little. Time to disassemble and clean it again.