Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

I've been tempted by this, but evidently it's not FAA compliant, and will likely just end up with a Pelican 1750: https://www.saviorequipment.com/products/ultimate-guitar-case-single-rifle-case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I joined the ar15.com forums simply because it's seemingly the best source of information for the clusterfuck the Geissele Black Friday sale's become (hay guyz did you hear about our new gubbermint contract ), and yeah, find the threads you need, bookmark them, and never click on anything else.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Only criticism I've heard of the K2+ is that it can get a bit tacky/sticky when your hands sweat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bob Mundon posted:

Or just wait till Black Friday and snag one for $50 direct from geissele.

Heh.

That being said, there might be a non-zero chance of my rifle getting shipped from G$ sometime this week or the next. I'm not terribly sold on the pronged muzzle brake ol' Bill put on the McRifle Mk1 (a SureFire SF3P). So I'm looking for an alternative that won't make the rifle uncomfortable to shoot at an indoor range - I was looking at the Strike JCOMP V2 (cheap), and the Precision M4-72 or VG6 Gamma.

Anyone have any alternative suggestions that aren't over $100?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Irons will survive things a red dot won't like physical/water/fire....EMP etc.

Or pick up a prism scope with the reticle etched into the glass.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I still need to throw this Strike Industries mag extension in the trash.

Okay, explain this to me? I bought one of their foregrips for my rifle - which just shipped at long last.

I think I'm still *barely* within the return window for Optics Planet, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Strike Industries' logo is kinda sorta dangerously close to the Schutzstaffel logo.

There are so few non-garbage companies in the gun industry. I say this as a goon that still has Strike Industries & Taran Tactical stuff.

It does seem like they've changed their logo.

New:

Old:

And a FB post I found: https://www.facebook.com/strikeindu...15732291779148/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 24, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In a minor miracle, Geissele shipped my Black Friday rifle way earlier than I expected and now I need a case. I can get the Apache 9800 for ~$130 out the door, or the Plano AW2 for $111 shipped. I know both are going to be a bit big for a single AR+Optic, but I want to put my P320 in the same case when I hit the range and keep the mags and miscellaneous in my range bag.

I know I could make do with a rifle bag, but one of the new VA gun laws that has a chance of passing is requiring that firearms be properly secured and while they can't force everyone to buy a gun safe, they can probably mandate everyone buy a lockable hard case, so I'm getting out in front of it. Only difference I see between the two is the Planos are lifetime warrantied and Made in the USA while I know the Apaches only have a 90 day warranty.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 27, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

What car do you have? Getting those big hard cases into cars can sometimes be difficult.

2016 Subaru Legacy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

According to this:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2016.html

your largest dimension horizontal trunk opening is 41.5 inches. That’s going to be tight for a 42” or even longer hard case. You can certainly go in diagonally one end first and it will fit fine but if you keep junk in the trunk like many do it might not be the best choice of case for your vehicle.

Yeah, the only way I'm getting a 52" case into my car is by dropping the right side passenger seat, and I'm wondering if at that point the weapon isn't 'fully secured' in the trunk. For instance, if I have a weapon in my car in Maryland, it can't be *anywhere* "inside the driver's compartment."

I'm not going to buy any case until I measure the rifle from edge to edge tomorrow. I'm trying to guesstimate it - the flash hider is 2.67" (round down to 2.5), the barrel is 18", the upper/lower is a little less than 9", and there's an A2 buttstock, and I think those fall between 10-11". So I'm figuring ~40".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

You’re lucky in that an AR can be disassembled for transport, which will let you get away with a much smaller case

That's a good point I hadn't considered.

Aside from the other fuckery, I'm a little pissed that Geissele never freely offered dimensions and weight on the product page for the Signature rifle. I only recently was able to persuade a guy who got his to weigh it (7lbs, 14.4oz).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

16” AR is about ~36” overall with a not goofy muzzle device. A 18” should be just 2” more.

This rifle has a SureFire SF3P on it by default. Pinned and welded, to my recollection.

Total length of it is 2.67", but I'm assuming some of that is cut back by it being screwed on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

If it’s pinned and welded then the barrel is probably 14.5 and it 16. Threads are usually 0.5” so you’re probably closer to 36” overall

38" exactly, actually.

Going with the 42-inch Plano AW2.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DeesGrandpa posted:

Cali does locked cases iirc. Does that work for MD too?

I'd assume so - that's another reason I went with Plano - it has twin locks in the hinges in addition to padlock holes. The ~letter of the law~ in MD says (straight from MDSP's website):

[Firearms] must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person.

And the last 'show off' picture for a while:

^

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 28, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Your rear sight is backwards

So it is.

I was so about getting the Spitfire mounted. Oh well, easily rectified.

EDIT: Fixed.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 28, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

Welp time to send it back

Could've been worse - I could've mounted the optic backwards. Or not noticed it until hitting the range with it for the first time.

I'm glad someone pointed out my fuckup - now the optic's much further back and way more comfortably placed.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 28, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hamsystem posted:

That Zorg one is amazing and would be perfect for just hanging tons of tacticlol poo poo off of.

My kingdom for an illuminated yellow safety *button*.

"Good thing for me it's not loaded."

Or the little *red* button, but...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You know they do make crossbolt-style safeties for the AR, right?

I did not, but I'd imagine it'd be to light them up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, so I've got ten Lancer L5s for my new rifle (4x 20rd, 6x 30rd), and I've noticed two things:

1. They can comfortably fit 21 and 31 rounds respectively, and
2. When loaded with 21 and 31 rounds respectively, they're solid - but when they're loaded with 20 and 30, a solid hit on the baseplate sends a round flying 100% of the time.

My questions are: can/will the L5s function correctly with +1 over listed capacity, and so long as I'm not doing a competition, are the L5s fine if I baby them, or should I get them replaced?

Also, while I'm hoping to put the first rounds through my new rifle on Saturday, someone's already posted a trip report where they found the rifle imparts these markings on the copper casings when chambered:

(I think the bottom round is .300BLK which is confusing)

"Wondered if something was happening when closing the bolt with the first round and ejected round 1, 2 and 3 from a mag to take a closer look for jacket damage. Saw a typical longitudinal scar from running up the feed ramp that was about the same on every round, but also saw an odd spiral circumferential scratch on all of them that ran about 120% of the way around the bullet down by the ogive. You'll see a close up of 3 rounds below. We repeated this exercise with 2 other bullet weights (I think we tried 55, 69 and 77gr altogether) and saw the same markings."

Thoughts?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

Point taken and I know you're not the only goon who's had issues with them but at a glance they seemed to be the only ones with that barrel in stock.

Be wary about Optics Planet saying something's 'in stock.' If you're buying something they have in their warehouse, you're golden and they're like any other online reseller. But for *special* poo poo, they usually drop-ship, so that "in stock" status might not be genuine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you do decide to watch Chappie make sure whatever you watch it on has captions or subtitles since Yolandi and Ninja's accents can get a little thick at times, bru.

The biggest weakness of the film is they really needed to not use Hugh Jackman the way they did (he's just not a good villain at all), and they criminally underutilized Sigourney.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 6, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Having driven through Portland twice, those twists and turns on I-5 pretty much seem tailor made to ensure some jackass on their phone taking them at 60+ is going to cause a pileup.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 15, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Go to Brownells and buy any Aero rifle that strikes your fancy. They’ve even got models that don’t come with furniture so you can customize it the way you want without having to pay for and replace the boring less-good stuff like most complete rifles.

Or just go with a Ruger AR-556 and use the $55 off code (WAX) Brownells has going right now: https://www.brownells.com/firearms/...x56%2bmm%2bNATO

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

I’d recommend against anything that has a fixed sight post and a non-free floated handguard in 2020. There are just too many better options available to bother.

PSA must have someone in the thread: https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger-ar-556-5-56-nato-m-lok-free-float-handguard-rifle-black-8529.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Finally managed to dial in the optic on my AR before VA closes indoor ranges at midnight tonight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anyone have experience shooting the 85gr 5.56 Nosler OTMs?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My Geissele Black Friday rifle shoots straight and well, but I had to get an accu-wedge to keep the lower and upper from shaking because ~Super Precision~ . For all the faults, their 'magic' nanoweapon coating does make it piss easy to clean everything.

It was bad enough that it was shaking my optic loose from the QD mount after every ~60-90 rounds. There's a slight mismatch between upper and lower color-wise, and when I made mention of this, the G fanboys jumped all over my poo poo about how "anodizing isn't an exact science and keep complaining an G will start cerakoting and I love my OD Green ~limited edition~ federal rail and ."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Rat posted:

What optic mount are you running that's going loose that quickly, or at all? Or did you not loctite the ring screws?

It was more the fact that with every cycle the upper was getting 'rocked' because there was a good amount of play between the halves. Putting the accu-wedge in made everything solid - and after adjusting the retention bar, I've not had a problem since.

But to answer your question, it's an ADM mount for a Vortex Spitfire 3x.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Did you adjust the ADM adjustment octagon screw to get proper tension on the QD?

Funny story I sold a guy a ADM QD mount and told them about the tension adjust. Even linked them a YouTube video showing how to do it. They ended up wrenching on it with a flathead without popping it out of the octagonal recess and mentioned it was really hard to turn. I linked them the video example again and they were like ‘ohhhhhhhhhhhh’.

Yeah, both times. I'll grant I might've hosed something up the first time, but I got it right the second time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Primary Arms has 20rd 'blemished' translucent smoke Lancers for $11.99 at the moment, limit of five: https://www.primaryarms.com/lancer-...AD12_lockNLoad?

I also picked up a fair amount of BCM USGI 30rd recently - 12 in total (to get free shipping ), for around $10/mag: https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-magazines-with-gray-teflon-finish-magpul-enhanced-follower-30-round-gray/

And in black: https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-magazines-with-black-teflon-finish-magpul-enhanced-follower-30-round-black/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 21, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I wish my gun had a QR code.

It was supposed to be a big selling point of the Geissele "McRifle Mk1s" that the QR code was designed to take you to a personalized web page giving you detailed information about your specific rifle and how to go about getting technical and/or warranty support if you needed it. It still doesn't work, and it was coded in some arcane format that's not readily recognizable to common QR/Matrix code readers, and honestly all it does is tell you what # out of 100 your rifle is. ~Welp~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aero has a blemished sale going on right now, their M4E1s are discounted and if you use BLEM10 at checkout you get another 10% off the sale price: https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/sa...25+off+04.24.20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PookBear posted:

Who makes quality USGI stanags?

Bought 12 of these for the free shipping and with the exception of one that didn't like my magfeeder (but loaded fine manually), they're GTG: https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-magazines-with-gray-teflon-finish-magpul-enhanced-follower-30-round-gray/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mini-14s are one of the only out-of-the-box rifles you can own/register in DC, so long as they don't have a collapsible stock.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Ar-15-Rifling-Twist-Rate.jpg

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ceros_X posted:

The longer end of that chart are going to have OAL issues fitting in a mag most likely..

Yeah, I was tempted to pick up some of those Barnes 85gr just for shits and grins, but evidently my rifle *really* loves 77gr Sierra MatchKing.

Of course, I wouldn't know firsthand, because ~reasons~.

Speaking of which, Midway has a really decent price on IMI Razorcores at the moment. Go buy them all up before I buy more than 200.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anyone in here ever use a SureFire Warden? I've already watched a few reviews on Youtube, I'm of a mind that nothing bests personal experience.

My "McRifle Mk1" came with an SF3P pre-installed, so I've already got one half of the whole. I'm just wondering if it's worth it since I do the majority of my shooting (when they were open) at an indoor range, and Optics Planet has a $15 off code that brings it to ~$153 shipped.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Rat posted:

I used to have one. I don't think it's worth it if you have the 3 prong. The point of it is to cut off the blast from the brake after all.

As far as my experience, it did its job of cutting down blast from the brakes, but at the cost of reducing the brake's recoil reduction a bit. Not really noticeable unless rapid firing though.

The down side is that it had some POI shift on some barrels, like half a mil. Some barrels, it would have no shift at all.

Okay, good to know. Sounds like I could spend $150 better elsewhere/wise.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

Why would anyone ever clean their gas tube?

Brownells actually did a video semi-recently and their verdict was "if anything is staying behind in a tube that experiences 17-25,000 psi with every shot, there's something seriously wrong with your ammo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

This reminds me, at one point I was spitballing a hypothetical M16 PDW build using a replica of the M231 prototype wire stock. Then the stock I was looking at got sold to someone else and I haven't found another.

There's always this: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-GAU5-P-5-56-Clone-Pistol-p/mi-gau5a-p.htm