Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Wow first page of a new AR thread, I feel like I'm a part of history.

Great OP Miso!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Hayden posted:

Does anyone have a line on straight 20 rounders like this?

I like Brownells 20 rounders.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-20rd-magazine-ss-223-5-56-prod71748.aspx1

Edit- gently caress beaten but glad there's a consensus there

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I haven’t confirmed this myself but over at Arfcom the claim is whenever PA puts out a 12% coupon they raise prices right before by 12%, so you may want to shop around.

Sample size of one item, but I bought their Cyclops prism during a 12% coupon a month or so ago and there was no price shenanigans.

This would be very disappointing if true, as PA always seemed like a great company from a customer service standpoint and I would put them above such practices.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Just posting these as a cautionary tale to those looking to put their first AR together. This started as one that I put together in 2012. Proceed with caution.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Yo tell me about that one second from the right 👀

Aero lower

PSA premium faux dissy upper

Surplus A1 stock and triangle handguards from Numrich

Troy fixed rear sight

I'd like to swap the upper to an A2 but

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

Fun fact: Portuguese retro AR10 handguards can fit on mid-length AR15s

Round endcap I assume?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

But at least there's no dangerous bayonet lug! Thank you for thinking of the children, Soupisgood

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Best trigger for AR-9's? I really liked the geiselle super dynamic, flat faced trigger I had in my .223

Anything similar?

I use a SD-C in my 9mm AR with no problems. Definitely need a ramped bolt so you don't have to use a 9mm specific hammer. YMMV though from what I've read on many AR triggers being hit or miss in 9mm guns.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Anyone able to parse if this Lower, sold as one made for 9mm, has the right buffer for straight blowback?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9mm-dedicated-complete-coltc-style-magazine-lower-classic.html

Doesn't seem to specify. In addition to the heavier weight of the buffer, you also want either longer buffer length or a spacer in the buffer tube to limit rearward travel of the bolt. Otherwise you're asking for broken bolt catches when all that mass slams into it with a big head start.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

would be a good idea to make sure there isn't another roll pin stuck inside of your rollpin. I had that happen the other day and holy gently caress was it annoying.

also, get a bench block if you don't already have one. it'll make driving the pin in and out a lot easier

Well I just learned a new trick with Amazon links

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

You could also skip the rail section and use something like this if it'll loop through the holes in the handguard. I have one up front on one of my AK's and it does the job.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Never seen that grip before, what is it?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Creative liberties are to be encouraged with your wwsd rifle

I love this loving thing, so light and manageable

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Yup, Aero SPR.

That rifle got some use at an Appleseed last year when my 10/22 was running lovely late in the day. Got some interesting looks and questions on it, and drat near shot rifleman with it.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

What's that front sling mount? You have inspired me to run an M1 sling.

https://magpul.com/m-lok-gi-sling-swivel.html

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I just want the upper to shoot on my QC10 SBR lower but they go for too drat much money.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Sell that 500 rds in 5x 100rd lots on GB and make fuckin bank, Log. You could buy your PCC on that alone

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

If anyone comes across an in stock 10.5" 9mm barrel with front sight post and barrel nut installed let me know. Everyone I can find that lists them is out of stock, there's a used Colt takeoff on Gunbroker but more than I want to spend on a used barrel just for ~*Colt*~

Like this one: https://doublestarusa.com/10-5-9mm-1-10-chrome-lined-lightweight-barrel-front-sight-base-ar910cl

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Just got a new stripped A1 upper in the mail, and I've never owned a fixed carry handle upper before. Is it normal for the right wall of the sight channel to be thicker than the left or did I get a blem? Here's a shot looking down the carry handle from the rear of the receiver:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

It is not normal, though it may still be usable. Did you get that from Brownells or Luth-AR?

Got it from a place called KM Tactical. Saw some they had listed on Gunbroker and then went and ordered direct from their website.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Oh man, I was looking at the same thing on their website. Have you tried to install a rear sight yet?

That's the one. No, didn't have a rear sight assembly ordered for it yet.

Something jogged in my memory and I went back and looked at the blem slick A1's that Brownells recently had available

Brownells posted:

These blemished lowers exhibit a slightly offset sight channel.  Iron sights will install and zero, but will need slight adjustment to one side.

Well that would seem to fit the description of what KM Tactical sent me. Also found this "B" stamp on the rear takedown lug, blem marking maybe? Is KM reselling blems without indicating as much?

Going to send them an email and tell them I need a refund or replacement

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

AFAIK that 'B' stamp on the rear lug is how Brownells marks its retro uppers. I'm guessing KMT is reselling blems from whoever makes them for Brownells.

That makes sense on the B stamp. Sent them an email asking for a replacement or refund because of the defect, but didn't come out the gate accusing them of any intentional misrepresentation.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Yeah its kind of principle of the matter, and while it may function fine it'll probably be months before I accumulate all the parts for this upper and find out if I do have any functional issues. Also, that left side seems thin enough that I could see it bending or cracking if the gun got dropped on it somehow.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Well KM Tactical got back to me about the A1 upper, they sent me a shipping label and told me they would issue a refund when they receive it back. No offer of replacement and the uppers are still listed in stock on their website, so I would assume all of their inventory is probably like this.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

So since no one seems to have 10.5" 9mm barrels with a front sight base installed, I'm thinking I'll roll my own. The only clamp-on front sight I see available anywhere is the adjustable JP which is a lot of money to not even use it as a gas block. Anyone know anything else available out there?

Any other options short of having someone properly do a taper pin install?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

KEArms appears to be selling KP-15 FDE blems at the moment for anyone who's interested.

You can get them spec'ed out with the works and it seems the only issue are slight nicks you'd probably accrue over time and use anyway.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...059-258589.aspx

Brownells has blems up as well. Got a stripped FDE on order. Thinking I'll sell off my M&P 15-22 and build this into a dedicated 22lr.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Who besides Aero should I be looking at for a no forward assist stripped upper in FDE if I don't want some fancy billet poo poo?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I have the same Anderson upper on my 9mm, it's nice if you can find it in stock. It's called their Sport upper.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

And make sure your disconnector spring is oriented properly, which seems to be a somewhat common mistake. The wider end goes down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Geiselle should all be pre-installed afaik.

Good point, they come with a slave pin in there keeping everything together I think