Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

anyone heard of anything like a sign painters union or something along those lines?

IUPAT? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Union_of_Painters_and_Allied_Trades

don't feel like the union needs to have the name of the specific workplace in it though- for example, campaign workers (my last job) have been represented by IBEW, Teamsters, and UFCW on different campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

IUPAT? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Union_of_Painters_and_Allied_Trades

don't feel like the union needs to have the name of the specific workplace in it though- for example, campaign workers (my last job) have been represented by IBEW, Teamsters, and UFCW on different campaigns.

yeah im curious about how this works for individuals that are in specific artisan trades with their own clientele. met a pro union guy that does sign painting and was asking about this but he works on his own and generates his own clients.

like id assume this works similarly to how a carpenters union works? you get jobs at the hall based on seniority or whatever. not sure if this translates to what he does.

my experience with union work was railroad which is an entirely different structure than the building trade unions i believe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nyc food market in the Bronx that handles about 60% of the produce supply for the city is on strike bc management refused to raise wages by even a dollar (counter-offered 30 something cents lol). if you're in the area check in with the teamsters union or DSA or whatever local organizers that are joining the effort, there's lot of ways to offer support and solidarity! here's the JC16 Twitter acct if you want to get caught up on their activity

https://twitter.com/TeamstersJC16/status/1352679224595910656

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
e: nevermind, already posted

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

shooting straight for unions and expecting that to result in improved workplace conditions is putting the cart before the horse. unions are the result of an organized workplace, they do not create it. I spent last Sunday flyering for, and then doing organizing calls for, the emergency workplace organizing committee. the goal is to look at currently unorganized workplaces and show them how they can specifically benefit from organization in COVID-related ways, like having better sick leave protections. if that organization leads to a union later on great, and a positive organizing experience where workers are able to extract some kind of concession from their workplace often leads to greater willingness to support a union later on.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

what do folks itt generally feel about the rank and file strategy? my guess is that this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic because posters in this forum are generally feel they are working in unorganizable workplaces, and it's a hugely daunting task to begin with. i know my current workplace of 2 people including myself is not something that could be organized, but i do wonder what sort of varied industry opportunities there are out there for the cspam radical demographic to try and insert themselves into so they can do more than post.

i currently work in small time residential construction as a superintendent so i don't have a trade that falls under a specific union's umbrella as far as i'm aware, but i'd still be interested in hearing about relevant organizing centered career paths. my intention before my life changed direction was to eventually shift from the railroad to working for the union.

i know this is a forum of computer touchers, does anyone know of industry opportunities that people here that have applicable skills could work their way into? is this something that could/should be its own thread? a thread where people can talk about their industries and point folks toward opportunities that can help build the radical presence in existing organized labor?

my partner is a paid organizer, used to work for the union, and she has a lot of resources im sure i can make her point folks toward if i burden her with it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

id love to organize my workplace but i dunno how much this thread could help me considering 1) im not even american and 2) the last time the teachers at my school tried even the smallest bit of organizing (wearing blue jeans instead of the normal uniform) almost everyone was fired and replaced by the next semester

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

babypolis posted:

id love to organize my workplace but i dunno how much this thread could help me considering 1) im not even american and 2) the last time the teachers at my school tried even the smallest bit of organizing (wearing blue jeans instead of the normal uniform) almost everyone was fired and replaced by the next semester

not sure what sort of environment you're working in but are there existing teachers unions in your area? public or private? possibly a public employees union that represents other employees or schools but isn't currently at yours?

the DAD LOST MY IPOD post above is correct imo but there is still a huge groundwork that has already been laid for a lot of this and there are likely people you can reach out to for advice/resources. also existing organized labor will be able to help you navigate whatever sort of retaliatory obstacles you may have to deal with.

unionization can be very long term, but it starts with building solidarity with your peers. helping them with things they need help with, commiserating about working conditions (not whining, whining makes everyone miserable), building community. y'all don't have to be best friends but you should be a good competent worker that people respect and look up to.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

not sure what sort of environment you're working in but are there existing teachers unions in your area? public or private? possibly a public employees union that represents other employees or schools but isn't currently at yours?

the DAD LOST MY IPOD post above is correct imo but there is still a huge groundwork that has already been laid for a lot of this and there are likely people you can reach out to for advice/resources. also existing organized labor will be able to help you navigate whatever sort of retaliatory obstacles you may have to deal with.

unionization can be very long term, but it starts with building solidarity with your peers. helping them with things they need help with, commiserating about working conditions (not whining, whining makes everyone miserable), building community. y'all don't have to be best friends but you should be a good competent worker that people respect and look up to.

well mexico has a very large public teachers union, and almost every public school is governed by that union. our school is public too, but we are under state jurisdiction instead of federal, so we exist outside their framework. so i dunno how friendly they would be to us, but my guess its that not much, since we basically break all their rules

as far as our workplace goes, we are actually quite tight, or were before the pandemic. everyone is always helping each other out, like for example when exam time comes we just plop them down in a big table in the teachers lounge, hand out answer keys, and everyone starts grading each others exams. no one rats on each other, we cover for each other when someone needs to take a day off, when another teachers parents got sick with covid we all pitched in and gave him some cash, etc. etc. And working conditions have been degrading constantly. we have no health insurance, no benefits of any kind, no sick days, no paid vacation, nothing. when we asked for basic stuff like a wireless router and a microwave we had pitch in and buy it ourselves. and our hours just got cut. the only reason anyone sticks around is because the hourly wage is so much higher than other teaching jobs, but im sure they will continue to squeeze us until even that is gone

so youd think it would be a ripe place for organizing, but whenever ive brought the subject its usually met with a nervous laugh and a quick change of the subject. the management response was so brutal and merciless last time around everyone is spooked i guess. hell im spooked, because i feel enormously lucky to even have a job right now when everything is going to poo poo. so I dunno what to do, but I guess I should try contacting the teachers union and see if they slam the door in my face or not

babypolis has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Jan 23, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

babypolis posted:

well mexico has a very large public teachers union, and almost every public school is governed by that union. our school is public too, but we are under state jurisdiction instead of federal, so we exist outside their framework. so i dunno how friendly they would be to us, but my guess its that not much, since we basically break all their rules

as far as our workplace goes, we are actually quite tight, or were before the pandemic. everyone is always helping each other out, like for example when exam time comes we just plop them down in a big table in the teachers lounge, hand out answer keys, and everyone starts grading each others exams. no one rats on each other, we cover for each other when someone needs to take a day off, etc. etc. And working conditions have been degrading constantly. we have no health insurance, no benefits of any kind, no sick days, no paid vacation, nothing. when we asked for basic stuff like a wireless router and a microwave we had pitch in and buy it ourselves. and our hours just got cut. the only reason anyone sticks around is because the hourly wage is so much higher than other teaching jobs, but im sure they will continue to squeeze us until even that is gone

so youd think it would be a ripe place for organizing, but whenever ive brought the subject its usually met with a nervous laugh and a quick change of the subject. the management response was so brutal and merciless everyone is spooked i guess. hell im spooked, because i feel enormously lucky to even have a job right now when everything is going to poo poo. so I dunno what to do, but I guess I should try contacting the teachers union and see if they slam the door in my face or not

pick up the book (or get a PDF) of the book “strike for America,” about the caucus that took over the Chicago teachers union. it’s about america (duh) but I think what’s important if you’re worried about employers simply firing you all is tying yourselves to the community. basically, you need to build relationships with parents and everyone else around where your school is so that if they fire y’all, everyone else in your town basically riots on your behalf in front of the people who did it

if parents know how bad the schools are treating the people teaching their kids they’ll be pissed. they should be! you can use that

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

pick up the book (or get a PDF) of the book “strike for America,” about the caucus that took over the Chicago teachers union. it’s about america (duh) but I think what’s important if you’re worried about employers simply firing you all is tying yourselves to the community. basically, you need to build relationships with parents and everyone else around where your school is so that if they fire y’all, everyone else in your town basically riots on your behalf in front of the people who did it

if parents know how bad the schools are treating the people teaching their kids they’ll be pissed. they should be! you can use that

This is great advice, ill be sure to check out that book.

Sadly not much to be done on that front in COVID times...

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
The chicago teachers union is inching towards a strike over being forced back into the classroom now. They hold tons of public zoom meetings with parents to engage with them and get their support. Check out their social media, you can catch a lot of idea about how they operate from there, too

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Without getting too much into detail, I'm part of an organizing drive at work- there's another company a region over from us that's got a really good collective bargaining system going on, and we're taking a lot of cues from their effort. A big problem we're having though is high turnover, people tend to come onboard, get some experience and tickets/licenses, then immediately gently caress off to greener pastures as soon as they're able. Their replacements tend to be young and new to the industry, and as such not inclined to rock the boat at all. It's immensely frustrating, because they're doing the same (dangerous) job I am and getting crap money for it, but there's a perception that because they're new and learning they just have to put up with lovely conditions for a while. I don't know why "you deserve to be treated better than this" is such a hard sell, but here we are

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
getting a $15k training course for free through my union, taught by my union. its a good gig

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

jarofpiss posted:

i'm seeing a ton of this sort of community building in workplaces, largely due to employers' terrible responses to covid, and the acceptance by workers that they are not valued beyond their ability to produce.

i work in museums in nyc, and there's not a single one i work for that doesn't have an enormous, ground-level, organized group of people who are talking about racial justice, museums using their platforms for good, the way those workforces are racially segregated, the failures of management to listen to people, and the expectation that everyone is sacrificing for something they love, not just trying to pay rent

there is either a nascent or fully developed union movement at every one of them, and it's because of the shitstorm that was 2020.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

oh, I should post this here too: an Amazon warehouse in Bessemer, Alabama is having a union election on Feb 8th. yay!

Amazon is obviously deploying its most aggressive union-busters to stop it. boo!

You can help by spamming their contact form daily with stupid garbage to waste their time and make their lives harder: https://www.doitwithoutdues.com/contact

e: oh natch you all already know, consider this a friendly reminder then

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1357361227270397953?s=19

We gotta make some changes. We have to get smarter, more vigilant and more militant.

Apropos of nothing:

https://twitter.com/theDBH/status/1356650314741518336?s=19

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
A retirement home in Springfield, Oregon is pushing to unionize and have voted to strike! Here's a link!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=402259620870141&id=186108419168

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The book in the op, no shortcuts, is brilliant. you really have to read it, or even just skim it, if you're interested in organising.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

A retirement home in Springfield, Oregon is pushing to unionize and have voted to strike! Here's a link!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=402259620870141&id=186108419168

I'm up portland way but if you are connected to this please keep the thread/forum informed. Do they need food, stuff, money to help with the strike?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

over 90% of my workplace has signed cards :) barring some kind of legal pushback or union busting tactic (very unlikely but we've at least prepared for it) I think weve got ourselves a unionized labor force. this thread kicks rear end!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

over 90% of my workplace has signed cards :) barring some kind of legal pushback or union busting tactic (very unlikely but we've at least prepared for it) I think weve got ourselves a unionized labor force. this thread kicks rear end!!

90% is absurdly impressive, congrats!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

holy poo poo my dude, good work

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
congrats, 90% is as mentioned ridic, GJ!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's a smaller place with ppl who were starting to have these convos before the pandemic, so I knew at least the majority would be on board, but I've been overwhelmed by the near unanimous support (and also learned way more about problems ppl are having that need to be addressed, which also influenced a lot of people into getting involved)z

lot and lots of work ahead of us but it feels amazing to reach this milestone. for anyone thinking "maybe we could do it too"...read No Shortcuts and give it a shot. you might just be another success story!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Congratulations, that's a wonderful feeling

Now, get a good contract!!!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In Training posted:

yeah thats p much total victory you got there. grats comrade

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That's cool as hell, congrats

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

don’t let your guard down. once you call for an election they will do the most rancid poo poo imaginable to either block it or try to destroy your majority

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

this is the real happy news thread. :unsmith:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
howdy folks, dues paying member of the Motion Picture Editor's Guild here. just popping in to say that it whips major rear end to have decent health insurance and never have to worry about it aside from "did i work enough hours to have it" which i would already be thinking about because getting paid is good. i lucked into joining the Guild a few years back and have barely been involved aside from voting for the most radical delegates and board members i can. Solidarity to all the workers ITT and around the world, and of course, all power to the soviets

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

don’t let your guard down. once you call for an election they will do the most rancid poo poo imaginable to either block it or try to destroy your majority

yep. my employer is real cuddly most of the time crapping on and on about how valued everyone is, how we're all doing a great job, blah blah blah, basically lulling everyone into a false sense of security so noone sees the need to stay organised. then when it's time to renegotiate oops we're all overpaid layabouts and it's time to cut pay, put in ridiculous kpis and performance management, cut leave, cut staff, push for casualisation.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

ill never trust a manager further than I can throw them, if they try to break us up, we'll be ready to fight.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

don’t let your guard down.
It's this all the time

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
as a further extension to "don't let your guard down", and something i would say to members a lot about HR - if they can fire you, they're your boss. they might lack a title, that's irrelevant - they're your boss because of what they can do, not because of what they call themselves. in the best case scenario you as a trade union representative can play management and HR against each other because HR loves to pretend to be neutral, but they. are. not.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
here’s how far bosses will go: not only hiring consultants to stop a union organizing drive by nurses, but illegally vaccinating them so that they can have in-person captive audience meetings with those nurses lmao https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_6023ecf4c5b6c56a89a5e7b7?guccounter=1

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Googling some poo poo about union rights re: meeting spaces and hey look all the Google results are union busting law firms :thunk:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

related to that, an organization that operates in the arts/museum world has created this site, which is great:

https://artistsforworkers.org/unionize/

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm up portland way but if you are connected to this please keep the thread/forum informed. Do they need food, stuff, money to help with the strike?

The strike is starting on Tuesday; here is some more info:

https://gem.godaddy.com/p/73168f?pact=121709-161926207-10181058954-60fb2e88ba58e43d9e8b89f264c760ef04298d1d&twitter_share=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

we just unanimously ratified the first contract for workers at the Guggenheim; the workers who run and take care of the building, build, install, and light exhibitions, and take care of the collection are unionized. average 10% raises, bonuses, union healthcare, no more favoritism in work schedules, on and on... and all in a pandemic and economic catastrophe

satisfying to see the guy who was management's election witness vote 'yes.' he deserves this as much as anyone else.

unionize or die