Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Get everyone possible to sign the card before you go. To the bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Headed back to Bessemer this weekend to try to raise support for the union among the community. Had a lot of really good stories from people, one was a dude who went to Michigan and worked at a factory organized by united auto workers and he was happy to put up signs and get his whole family to haha.

Voting started a few weeks ago (its by mail) and ends March 31st I think. Hope it works out.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was canvassing Bessemer nearly every other weekend with psl, the majority of the community supports a union but that doesn't mean it will happen. Lots of the younger workers at the Amazon warehouse were the ones who told me they were voting no. loving idiot s

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

its cause of some of the problems and weaknesses of the campaign, combined with misinfo from amazon. know comrades who talked to folks there who had already cast a no vote but who after a 10 min convo had changed their mind. we cant be dismissive of people for not coming to the correct conclusions immediately we gotta be patient and always willing to work to win people over.

I mean I'm not dismissive of them when I'm canvassing, doubt any of them are reading this thread. My thoughts are that this is probably the best chance to start a union drive in major retail companies. Amazon will be better prepared next time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Union vote failed. Expected but still sucks rear end

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

We aren't affiliated with the union but we knocked on ninety percent of the doors in Bessemer over January and first half of Feb.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

idk how to say it without using sports cliches, but you did a great job, maybe next time, etc

but i do appreciate the work you put in, and i do think you made a difference. it is a slow walk. i dunno i dont have the words except thank you for trying.

Nah I just mean the idea in that article- that there was nothing done to reach workers outside the workplace - is only partially true

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

It sounded like the RWDSU wasn't having the Amazon workers who were trying to unionize doing any actual door knocking. Not to minimize the good and hard work you did, but I think she raises a good point that the actual workers need to be doing the same thing, too.

That was what I meant by partially true lol. I agree

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

stroking workers at a Kansas frito-lay plant have requested people pls not buy anything from frito-lay or Pepsi while they’re striking. get other snacks!! you can do it

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1416919789415636994

Man if they're having to work while actively having a stroke that's rough

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wow that contract offered the pension staying as well as a pretty sizeable raise iirc. They're really going for broke

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

This is one of the most powerful first-hand accounts I’ve ever read about union organizing. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/opinion/unions-oregon-assisted-living.html

And yet they lost

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

in the US, established union leadership is at low risk of this these days. lawyers have been more effective at crushing unions than guns and thugs over the last 50 years.

there’s pluses and minuses. I’d argue that the lack of a famous leftist leader is a *weakness* of movements like BLM, because it lets grifters and centrists insert themselves and get portrayed by the media as The Leader instead (deray etc).

Don't look up what happened to a lot of the prominent organizers of the Ferguson protests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

of course. but companies haven’t done that to union leaders lately.

Right it was directed more to the second part of the quote