Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3365121&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post384455188

4 permas from that thread alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
man that thread sucks poo poo

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Given a) common thread topics, b) the style of humour here c) the attitude of a significant proportion of posters, I am really surprised it's that small a number.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Moo the cow posted:

Given a) common thread topics, b) the style of humour here c) the attitude of a significant proportion of posters, I am really surprised it's that small a number.

SA has been around a lot longer than the chans and we've done a lot less murder. Maybe resources are used elsewhere.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

verbal enema posted:

man that thread sucks poo poo

Predates the closing of FYAD by almost a decade yet you'd think it had been posted in nov 2019 and people would've been brigading into QCS to bitch about people not getting their "ironic" assassination jokes.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Moo the cow posted:

Here at Something Awful we've realized that killing politicians isn't actually very funny until you get to something like the scale of the french revolution. There's just not too many laughs to be had when one shithead will be replaced with another equal shithead - it's far funnier when you're actually swapping the heads around.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

corgski posted:

Here at Something Awful we've realized that killing politicians isn't actually very funny until you get to something like the scale of the french revolution. There's just not too many laughs to be had when one shithead will be replaced with another equal shithead - it's far funnier when you're actually swapping the heads around.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=273

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

Predates the closing of FYAD by almost a decade yet you'd think it had been posted in nov 2019 and people would've been brigading into QCS to bitch about people not getting their "ironic" assassination jokes.

It's a universal constant that every SA subforum and even some large megathreads will develop a uniquely deplorable in-joke culture if they're left unmoderated, and then will cry about how they weren't serious and you just don't understand ~the humor~ when an admin finally cares and starts banning people. It has happened since the dawn of time and is still happening like every two weeks over different subforums and thread in QCS right now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was gonna shitpost about Take a Hike! being the one forum that finally brings about revolution, but it took long enough to find it that now I'm wondering why Take a Hike! is a subforum of DIY instead of like, YLLS or idk, A/T or wherever the travel threads are.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was gonna shitpost about Take a Hike! being the one forum that finally brings about revolution, but it took long enough to find it that now I'm wondering why Take a Hike! is a subforum of DIY instead of like, YLLS or idk, A/T or wherever the travel threads are.

To start a successful revolution you need to organise a broad base of support.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what is hiking if not diy travel

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh right, that's where they hid the Everest thread after the posters got in trouble for making death pools and "jokingly" suggesting that sherpa deaths count as a fraction of a person. (I have no idea what it's like now, but man was that :yikes: at the time.)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ghostlight posted:

what is hiking if not diy travel

A sad man walking in an oval.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Everest thread always treated the sherpas with respect. It's a rich-person-hating thread. I never saw the thing you claim where the Sherpas were disdained or treated like lesser persons.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pick posted:

The Everest thread always treated the sherpas with respect. It's a rich-person-hating thread. I never saw the thing you claim where the Sherpas were disdained or treated like lesser persons.

It was brought up whenever the Everest thread had its day in QCS two or three years ago. There was a joke or two about the death pool when they were just starting a new one. It wasn't a pervasive joke in the thread, just a few tasteless remarks from people who were probably riffing (badly) on how little respect the sherpas get for the life threatening climbs they do on a regular basis.

There were some other things like laughing and photoshopping a woman, including pics of her dead body. She was one of those entitled rich ladies who thought money could carry her to the top of the mountain but it was still an awkward thing to turn into a running thread joke.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The Everest threads are peak SA to me, informative, fascinating, with edgy humor yes but that's what SA is

:shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think it's much edgier than the Darwin Awards which are pretty mainstream.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spinz posted:

The Everest threads are peak SA to me, informative, fascinating, with edgy humor yes but that's what SA is

Yeah, but going too far, getting obsessed and insular, and eventually needing to be put down like a rabid animal is also 100 percent on brand for this place

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spinz posted:

Yeah no. That poo poo was a deathwatch party mirthlessly celebrating people dying. It wasn't edgy, it was just malicious

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah no. That poo poo was a deathwatch party mirthlessly celebrating people dying. It wasn't edgy, it was just malicious

The weirdest subset of posters in that thread were the people who hated Mt Everest so much they took up mountain climbing just because they wanted to climb an actual epic awesome mountain and talk about much better it is than The Fail Mountain and how it was so easy that anyone who died on Everest deserved it because they were total noobs who probably think Xbox One has adequate amounts of RAM.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sleeveless posted:

The weirdest subset of posters in that thread were the people who hated Mt Everest so much they took up mountain climbing just because they wanted to climb an actual epic awesome mountain and talk about much better it is than The Fail Mountain and how it was so easy that anyone who died on Everest deserved it because they were total noobs who probably think Xbox One has adequate amounts of RAM.

Also that anyone making fun of the thread was actually a Fail Mountain fanatic

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Everest thread was (and is) crazy informative if you have the slightest interest in mountain climbing and outdoors stuff in general, it only became unreadable bullshit for a while when it got targeted by the concern troll brigade.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its weird how literally every single mock thread and megathread is perfectly normal and cool and informative and funny until outsiders see it and think that it's massively hosed up, then it turns out those people caused all of the problems by pretending they existed hard enough that they spontaneously sprang into existence

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It was unreadable when there were just pages and pages of posts consisting of a number for the death pool.

The actual info was interesting, and it was cool it inspired people to get into hiking (I never saw anyone who did it for rear end in a top hat reasons, it was mostly just people who got very into Into Thin Air).

There are just always a couple assholes who take it too far.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Alaois posted:

its weird how literally every single mock thread and megathread is perfectly normal and cool and informative and funny until outsiders see it and think that it's massively hosed up, then it turns out those people caused all of the problems by pretending they existed hard enough that they spontaneously sprang into existence

simultaneously my fridge is insanely clean and doesn't look like a fetid hobo farted out a double homicide until I open it up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Koba posted:

The Everest thread was (and is) crazy informative if you have the slightest interest in mountain climbing and outdoors stuff in general, it only became unreadable bullshit for a while when it got targeted by the concern troll brigade.

Much like the Muerte thread, it’s great if you got that information out of it but lmfao no, it was not some haven for Actual Climbing Info for Real Climbers (unlike these dead people haha owned they died)

Unlike the Muerte thread, Muerte’s alive and no one has ever googled photos of his dead body to dunk on him

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

This is a dumb and wrong blanket statement. Every thread is different. Some threads are better than others.

Lord Garmadon
Jul 17, 2018
Maybe unfair, but the "eat the rich" narrative in those threads felt tacked-on to me. I didn't follow them outside the drama, to be fair, but I remember those threads as if they pre-dated the "eat the rich" narrative, which made the later development of it come across to me, as a bit of an excuse for the death-pool stuff that people had been doing in earlier editions of the threads anyway. We weren't talking some Washington fat-cats or captain's of industry either, so I sort of think you might as well pretend that being financially able to go to Disneyworld and getting crushed by the Teacup ride is somehow karmic.

I could be wrong for sure, but when subs and threads veer into "mock thread" territory, I sorta think that narratives often develops like that, in order to justify some of the worse behavior. Like, the fat-mocking threads pretended to also have an angle about helping people with "tough love" and setting the record straight re; "healthy at any size" stuff, and idk, it just come across as an excuse.

There was a solid content, too, and it isn't fair to mark the threads out as worse than other stuff. I think maybe the reason the threads got more flak than like Darwin Award or the Schadenfreude threads, wasn't because it was actually worse, but because the OPs were more or less copy-pasted yearly and may have been going on for like +5 years, if not more than a decade, and had become front-loaded with some of the worse stuff, like the picture of the Canadian woman's corpse. People just stopping by and just reading the OP probably saw the worst of it, I'd guess, and not really the neat stuff. Like, there was a bad rear end Polish climber and his story ruled, and it also *is* funny that someone thought that they could train for the climb by photo-shopping themselves to stand on top of the mountain.

The not very rare example of an on-site sub or in-thread community being largely fine, but sort of failing to just get rid of the dumbest poo poo when prompted by the surrounding forums, was my impression.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lord Garmadon posted:

Maybe unfair, but the "eat the rich" narrative in those threads felt tacked-on to me. I didn't follow them outside the drama, to be fair, but I remember those threads as if they pre-dated the "eat the rich" narrative, which made the later development of it come across to me, as a bit of an excuse for the death-pool stuff that people had been doing in earlier editions of the threads anyway. We weren't talking some Washington fat-cats or captain's of industry either, so I sort of think you might as well pretend that being financially able to go to Disneyworld and getting crushed by the Teacup ride is somehow karmic.

I could be wrong for sure, but when subs and threads veer into "mock thread" territory, I sorta think that narratives often develops like that, in order to justify some of the worse behavior. Like, the fat-mocking threads pretended to also have an angle about helping people with "tough love" and setting the record straight re; "healthy at any size" stuff, and idk, it just come across as an excuse.

There was a solid content, too, and it isn't fair to mark the threads out as worse than other stuff. I think maybe the reason the threads got more flak than like Darwin Award or the Schadenfreude threads, wasn't because it was actually worse, but because the OPs were more or less copy-pasted yearly and may have been going on for like +5 years, if not more than a decade, and had become front-loaded with some of the worse stuff, like the picture of the Canadian woman's corpse. People just stopping by and just reading the OP probably saw the worst of it, I'd guess, and not really the neat stuff. Like, there was a bad rear end Polish climber and his story ruled, and it also *is* funny that someone thought that they could train for the climb by photo-shopping themselves to stand on top of the mountain.

The not very rare example of an on-site sub or in-thread community being largely fine, but sort of failing to just get rid of the dumbest poo poo when prompted by the surrounding forums, was my impression.

The other thing to realize is that the "eat the rich" mentality was very much informed by the subject material, it didn't come out of nowhere. Reading secondary or primary sources about Everest makes it very clear, very quickly that there's a big problem with rich people paying to climb the biggest mountain in the world without any preparation or experience, that there are conflicting narratives about this (for example, the OG rich lady who's said to have brought an espresso machine up the mountain with her in In Thin Air was defended by her climb leader as being much more qualified than Krakauer made her out to be), and that capitalism, race, and class are big issues regarding the whole situation.

Death pools were maybe a bit ghoulish but the frustrating discussion of inequality that a lot of goons attached onto as being Bad really was justified, especially as things just got stupider and stupider (epitomized by Shriya Shah-Klorfine, Ms. Photoshop Her Way Up The Mountain.)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also that anyone making fun of the thread was actually a Fail Mountain fanatic

This is my favorite part anytime someone dares criticize behavior of an insular thread/sub forum. I think saying people are concern trolling stems from this? Like if someone makes fun of me for obsessively compiling and cheering Mt Everest deaths, and I accept it’d be weird for them to be white knighting for a mountain, the only other reason they could be criticizing my perfectly good posting is because they’re trolling.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord Garmadon posted:

A lot of what sustains a mock community is picking on what the group considers valid targets for various reasons. Like, the long loops of logic someone can spit out for justifying why they'd pay attention to every life detail of Chris-Chan, or why Tim Buckley is THE WORST long after he'd mostly retreated from the internet and just pumped out bland mush comics over anything cringey or bad. And like sure, both of them suck for a variety of reasons, but eventually the well of lols dries up and you have to go and dig yourself a hole to find more.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Arivia posted:

The other thing to realize is that the "eat the rich" mentality was very much informed by the subject material, it didn't come out of nowhere. Reading secondary or primary sources about Everest makes it very clear, very quickly that there's a big problem with rich people paying to climb the biggest mountain in the world without any preparation or experience, that there are conflicting narratives about this (for example, the OG rich lady who's said to have brought an espresso machine up the mountain with her in In Thin Air was defended by her climb leader as being much more qualified than Krakauer made her out to be), and that capitalism, race, and class are big issues regarding the whole situation.

Death pools were maybe a bit ghoulish but the frustrating discussion of inequality that a lot of goons attached onto as being Bad really was justified, especially as things just got stupider and stupider (epitomized by Shriya Shah-Klorfine, Ms. Photoshop Her Way Up The Mountain.)

Yep if it was still "just a few brave individuals who dared to climb the mountain" that is what the thread would talk about.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's definitely an excuse, both for the Everest threads and the fat shaming threads. It's just stuff goons remember having fun with, and while most of us are happy to see this place change with the times there's still a reluctance to give up certain things (fyad) from the old days.

Basically the Everest threads are about shaming the wasteful rich in much the same way Easter is about Jesus.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

There were some other things like laughing and photoshopping a woman, including pics of her dead body. She was one of those entitled rich ladies who thought money could carry her to the top of the mountain but it was still an awkward thing to turn into a running thread joke.

It became the thread joke because it was the most visible example of what was wrong with Everest as a tourism spot. She had a blog where she talked about training for it, and there were photos of her rock climbing at the gym and she said she jogged while wearing a weighted vest to prepare. Her gear list was like a starter kit for climbers trying a day's climb in simple conditions etc.

She was basically the Everest equivalent of Muerte's & his insane plan to walk across America. Only in her case since she mortgaged her house and had built a social media following while she was dying and people were trying to get her to stop she kept pushing forward insisting she had to since she had come so far to be the first Canadian-Asian woman to summit Everest.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its worth remembering that while the ostensible purpose of many threads is dark comedy, goons tend toward being unfunny and spiteful much of the time

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

It became the thread joke because it was the most visible example of what was wrong with Everest as a tourism spot. She had a blog where she talked about training for it, and there were photos of her rock climbing at the gym and she said she jogged while wearing a weighted vest to prepare. Her gear list was like a starter kit for climbers trying a day's climb in simple conditions etc.

She was basically the Everest equivalent of Muerte's & his insane plan to walk across America. Only in her case since she mortgaged her house and had built a social media following while she was dying and people were trying to get her to stop she kept pushing forward insisting she had to since she had come so far to be the first Canadian-Asian woman to summit Everest.

I don't need an explanation of why the situation was funny, I just don't like the idea of making photoshop jokes with pictures of her dead body as the punchline. Yes, it's a tragedy of a delusional rich person, just like the Grizzly Man and Christopher McCandless. I'd be uncomfortable with people making dank synthwave remixes of the bear attack sound recordings, too.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will forever poo poo on tim buckley not just for his comic but for attempting to/successfully groomimg underaged fans.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tashilicious posted:

I will forever poo poo on tim buckley not just for his comic but for attempting to/successfully groomimg underaged fans.

You can poo poo on him for sending pictures of his dick to a teenager. I'm talking about reaching that cycle in a mock thread where you're just finding things to nitpick about every new comic page (however unremarkable), or having people send you drive by photos of his house, or going through records of nearby police stations to laugh at funny things people with the same name as him did. If the first thing was all people focused on, there wouldn't be enough "material" to sustain a mock thread beyond the time it takes everyone to go "gently caress you Tim Buckley" a few times and in bolder fonts.

Lord Garmadon
Jul 17, 2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

You can poo poo on him for sending pictures of his dick to a teenager. I'm talking about reaching that cycle in a mock thread where you're just finding things to nitpick about every new comic page (however unremarkable), or having people send you drive by photos of his house, or going through records of nearby police stations to laugh at funny things people with the same name as him did. If the first thing was all people focused on, there wouldn't be enough "material" to sustain a mock thread beyond the time it takes everyone to go "gently caress you Tim Buckley" a few times and in bolder fonts.

I'm not familiar with Tim Buckley, but a funny & wholesome example of this kind of thing happening when mock threads run low on content, was some Star Citizen MEGATHREAD poster being bored enough to re-post pictures of the Thanksgiving dinner spread that the employees at the company apparently had, in order to do owns at some fail-looking yams and mashed potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lord Garmadon posted:

I'm not familiar with Tim Buckley, but a funny & wholesome example of this kind of thing happening when mock threads run low on content, was some Star Citizen MEGATHREAD poster being bored enough to re-post pictures of the Thanksgiving dinner spread that the employees at the company apparently had, in order to do owns at some fail-looking yams and mashed potatoes.

That's what they get for using margarine (the fail butter) in their mashed potatos