Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

doobie was weird to me because first it was "oh these guys want to help this guy's kickstarter where he wants to live his dream of selling hot dogs to people because there's no way he'd get funded" and the guy was so grateful that he was going to dedicate a hot dog special to SA. i have no idea what happened but the next time i noticed the doobie thread, we were bad frogs and everyone hated doobie who apparently was a huge rear end in a top hat who didn't know how to run a business.

i think the first big cultural milestone on SA for me was watching the creation of slenderman, which is one reason why i can't take horror stories/games/movies with him seriously because they're all "oooOOOooOOoO no one knows what he is or where he came from!" and i instinctively think "he came from photoshop in the 'create paranormal pictures' thread."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

VanSandman posted:

Yeah the days of Something Awful being a truly anarchic place where people would just.... do wild poo poo and post about it are done, because the forums have shrunk and we who stayed got old.

Eh, you guys just aren't quite old enough.
Like 10 year reunions were a bitch to bartend; everyone is still in their marriage and rat race etc...

While 20 year reunions were awesome-- everyone is glad to be alive and ready to get f7cked up and party with ANYONE.

If SA still around in 10 years stories may get wilder again imo

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Spinz posted:

Eh, you guys just aren't quite old enough.
Like 10 year reunions were a bitch to bartend; everyone is still in their marriage and rat race etc...

While 20 year reunions were awesome-- everyone is glad to be alive and ready to get f7cked up and party with ANYONE.

If SA still around in 10 years stories may get wilder again imo

SomethingAwful has already been around for 20 years though. It started in 1999 :confused:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, for instance I'm like 2 months and change off from my 20 year anniversary!

edit: I've spent my entire adult life and more than half my life on this dumb forum

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah, for instance I'm like 2 months and change off from my 20 year anniversary!

edit: I've spent my entire adult life and more than half my life on this dumb forum

You got a year or so on me, but samsies! I feel like my first account I only had to pay $5, but that could just be me misremembering something that happened like 18 years ago.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

BattleMaster posted:

The day I realized this exact same thing was... an interesting day :shepface: Well, in my case it's more like a third of my life, as I joined 3 months before I turned 20 and i will turn 30 in 20 days, but still.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol 2009 was so long ago :smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

loving 2019 was so long ago

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ghostlight posted:

loving 2019 was so long ago

:regd07: was more recent than 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

verbal enema posted:

lol 2009 was so long ago :smith:

The first posts of Groverhaus were made when Bush was still in office. Loss.jpg was twelve years ago last month.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sleeveless posted:

The first posts of Groverhaus were made when Bush was still in office. Loss.jpg was twelve years ago last month.

Thankfully everything is a zero sum game so ones loss.jpg is anothers gain.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the actually funny thing about doobie was noni and such pretending their adulation and love for doobie was completely ironic once it turned out he was a dumbass

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It should be okay to admit a mistake.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your first mistake in making a mistake is admitting it's a mistake. Don't make that mistake.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Half the time Sagas is like QCS except it is 10 years later and nobody has calmed down about anything that's ever happened in the slightest.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Grandmother of Five posted:

Half the time Sagas is like QCS except it is 10 years later and nobody has calmed down about anything that's ever happened in the slightest.

:lmao:

EDIT: Sadly can't turn it into a good thread title, plus Bird and Pastry like the current one too much.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

oh gently caress, i've been on this forum for 20 years. i got my may 2000 account banned in may 2001 for posting a dumb catchphrase in an artfag thread. i registered this current account as a gimmick one with a different name.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also I will never believe it was the actual cartoonist, that'd be much too perfect for this accursed reality
I'm almost 100% certain it wasn't. For one, I don't think he ever posted outside of the comic strip megathread. For two, it doesn't seem like something he'd write. For three, the art style seems a little bit off. It's close enough to be obvious what it's parodying, but just looks kind of wrong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tiggum posted:

I'm almost 100% certain it wasn't. For one, I don't think he ever posted outside of the comic strip megathread. For two, it doesn't seem like something he'd write. For three, the art style seems a little bit off. It's close enough to be obvious what it's parodying, but just looks kind of wrong.

Yeah I wasn't gonna cite my extensive knowledge of the Slylock Fox oeuvre, but the art style always felt a bit too off to be real.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I remember somebody trolled Weber by submitting Sonichu to Slylock Fox. People immediately pointed it out to him, and he learned about reverse image searching and started using it on the submissions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VanSandman posted:

Yeah the days of Something Awful being a truly anarchic place where people would just.... do wild poo poo and post about it are done, because the forums have shrunk and we who stayed got old.

I really wish we could get stats of how many new accounts registered are re-regs vs actual new posters.

And of the re-regs, how many are "legitimate" vs how many are parachutes/probe-evaders/perma'd.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really wish we could get stats of how many new accounts registered are re-regs vs actual new posters.

And of the re-regs, how many are "legitimate" vs how many are parachutes/probe-evaders/perma'd.

I believe that there are only 11 people that post here, all the other
200,000+ accounts are alts and re-regs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

and the other 10 of you loving SUCK

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want to know whose alt I am.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Pick is not a poster, they are an ecosystem held up entirely by trolling.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

So does that make us like trolling Remora? Or maybe a more apt comparison would be Oxpeckers

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 6, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

VanSandman posted:

Pick is a collective illusion collective illusion created by the concept of Pick

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd be surprised if there's not a furry version of every Shakespeare play out there somewhere. Hamlet is obviously covered.

it bothers me how the lion king is supposed to be hamlet because they both feature an evil uncle. that wasn't really the thing about the play

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VanSandman posted:

A sentient mayo sandwich left out in the sun of a Hamptons veranda was able to access the internet

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

FilthyImp posted:

A sentient mayo sandwich left out in the sun of a Hamptons veranda was able to access the internet

Don't sign your posts.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hub Cat posted:

Don't sign your posts.
Motherfucker, my 23AndMe says I'm an Horchata Latte.

Extra foam.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

u wot m8

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Crimpolioni posted:

it bothers me how the lion king is supposed to be hamlet because they both feature an evil uncle. that wasn't really the thing about the play

it's actually more the general story beats, ie evil uncle murders his brother to take over his throne and the king's son is visited by his father's ghost to motivate him to take back the throne.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Splash Attack posted:

it's actually more the general story beats, ie evil uncle murders his brother to take over his throne and the king's son is visited by his father's ghost to motivate him to take back the throne.

Even the original Hamlet has been subject to some pretty drastic interpretations including the "Hamlet wants to gently caress his mom" take from the Mel Gibson version.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's a username.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=382

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Splash Attack posted:

Simba does not put on a play to observe Scar's reaction as damning proof and Nala does not drown herself after she goes insane over Simba's newfound aloofness. This is BS.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Simba does not put on a play to observe Scar's reaction as damning proof and Nala does not drown herself after she goes insane over Simba's newfound aloofness. This is BS.

Not in your fanfic maybe

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

name since changed to atomiq, hasn't posted since 2019.

I know there were quite a lot of...creative names registered in the 2000s especially the series of "X CURES Y" in GiP where X would be "white phosphorous" and y would be some slur for middle easterners. There's the famous "i'm permabanned poster n***erstomper58" as well.

Have mods/admins ever forced name changes on accounts with slurs in them as a corrective measure or just banned the account?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

name since changed to atomiq, hasn't posted since 2019.

I know there were quite a lot of...creative names registered in the 2000s especially the series of "X CURES Y" in GiP where X would be "white phosphorous" and y would be some slur for middle easterners. There's the famous "i'm permabanned poster niggerstomper58" as well.

Have mods/admins ever forced name changes on accounts with slurs in them as a corrective measure or just banned the account?

You literally could have censored the slur here. What the gently caress.