Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

What thread is this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3935680&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post507130656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is maybe the least saga-like thing I have ever seen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know if thank you is the right thing to say because I think my life is worse having read that.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
great example of posters giving a gently caress itt. who cares about what all those gross dudes are posting, boys will be boys! oh no there's that woman we don't like. oh no she's saying things that make us uncomfortable... quick, quick, what's something that's bad, is there a buzzword we can use? a swerf! she hates sex workers! that's clearly her main issue with the thread. she hates the sex worker. not the men exploiting a desperate woman, or the other men cheering them on. we all know who the real villain is here.

you're all pathetic. i can just imagine you leaning smugly back in your computer chairs, confident that you've done a feminism and made the world a better place. by "made the world a better place", i mean you've shut up the woman who is saying the things that make you uncomfortable, and now you're comfortable again, so everything is okay.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

I'm not judging someone who has to provide sexual services to live because of an economic system that acts against women and working people, but a thread celebrating someone hiring a prostitute during a horrific economic downturn that has forced people into "gig economy" jobs that are dehumanizing, is something I will judge every single day.

Pick posted:

Doing sex work is never something the person who's being hired wants to do, because otherwise, they'd just be having sex for free--like people do. It's not a mark against them at all.

However, pretending that hiring people to engage in extreme fetish acts during a global recession is #woke is as absurd as congratulating yourself for finding an 11-year-old who will mine your coal. Lookit the little guy! He loves it! So intrepid. Why don't we let kids mine coal all the time? He says his hungry family loves it when he has a job!

when pick's right she's real goddamn right

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Len posted:

What thread is this?

Beats me. One minute we're happily reminiscing about the time a goon got literally shat upon by DMB's bus and made it into national news; next it's Pick pissing all over a perfectly good thread with no-context (until demanded) takes.

edit: hmm, I may have misinterpreted your question as "wtf thread am I in, again?" vs. "wtf thread are you talking about, Pick?" Either way:

In summary,

Scarodactyl posted:

This is maybe the least saga-like thing I have ever seen.

Please take this debate up elsewhere.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 9, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fauna posted:

great example of posters giving a gently caress itt. who cares about what all those gross dudes are posting, boys will be boys! oh no there's that woman we don't like. oh no she's saying things that make us uncomfortable... quick, quick, what's something that's bad, is there a buzzword we can use? a swerf! she hates sex workers! that's clearly her main issue with the thread. she hates the sex worker. not the men exploiting a desperate woman, or the other men cheering them on. we all know who the real villain is here.

you're all pathetic. i can just imagine you leaning smugly back in your computer chairs, confident that you've done a feminism and made the world a better place. by "made the world a better place", i mean you've shut up the woman who is saying the things that make you uncomfortable, and now you're comfortable again, so everything is okay.

Yeah, there's a contingent of posters that targets you in particular but I'm not and never have been one of them. In the course of my job I interact with sex workers, and the position you are taking is unquestionably in the "sex worker exclusionary radical feminism" side of things. You're drawing a moralistic line in the sand that is ironically rooted in Abrahamic notions of patriarchy and contributing to the ongoing demonization and marginalization of vulnerable populations. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who is saying it, it is the content I am responding to, and I feel the content you posted is mistaken.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

The gently caress is going on?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, there's a contingent of posters that targets you in particular but I'm not and never have been one of them. In the course of my job I interact with sex workers, and the position you are taking is unquestionably in the "sex worker exclusionary radical feminism" side of things. You're drawing a moralistic line in the sand that is ironically rooted in Abrahamic notions of patriarchy and contributing to the ongoing demonization and marginalization of vulnerable populations. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who is saying it, it is the content I am responding to, and I feel the content you posted is mistaken.
i'm not pick...

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Beats me. One minute we're happily reminiscing about the time a goon got literally shat upon by DMB's bus and made it into national news; next it's Pick pissing all over a perfectly good thread with no-context (until demanded) takes.

edit: hmm, I may have misinterpreted your question as "wtf thread am I in, again?" vs. "wtf thread are you talking about, Pick?" Either way:

In summary,

Please take this debate up elsewhere.

If she just posted the link originally less of this would happen, but because you're not supposed to talk about on-going events (I believe), she didn't and tried to go over the heads of people with it to talk about it now, instead of like, QCS.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I also volunteer with them, but for an evil odious organization that tries to help the ones who don't want to do it any more. (Hint: it's a lot! Because it's without a doubt the grimmest and most unpleasant experience you could imagine for a person!) And guess what, I blame the market makers--who are the ones who are saying they want the service and backing it up with money in a world where money decides if you live or die.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fauna posted:

i'm not pick...

Doh, the Avatar avatars threw me off. Well, my reply still works. Sorry for the mistaken identity bit, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SA's Greatest Picks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
thats my century egg thread

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I'm confused.

Are the Dave Matthews Band sex workers?

Or is the guy who got drenched with piss whilst on his boat classed as one?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Moo the cow posted:

I'm confused.

Are the Dave Matthews Band sex workers?

Or is the guy who got drenched with piss whilst on his boat classed as one?

i mean technically those tourists did pay to get piss and poo poo all over :shrug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pick posted:

thats my century egg thread

The century egg thread was a pretty good read, although I'm a little let down that they just ended up being fine

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Moo the cow posted:

The gently caress is going on?

You have NO idea how funny this post is to me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pick posted:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I also volunteer with them, but for an evil odious organization that tries to help the ones who don't want to do it any more. (Hint: it's a lot! Because it's without a doubt the grimmest and most unpleasant experience you could imagine for a person!) And guess what, I blame the market makers--who are the ones who are saying they want the service and backing it up with money in a world where money decides if you live or die.

I'm going to follow the request to not derail the thread further, and just say I can heartily agree that the system as it is is beyond hosed and late stage capitalism is poison.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm going to follow the request to not derail the thread further, and just say I can heartily agree that the system as it is is beyond hosed and late stage capitalism is poison.

fair

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You have NO idea how funny this post is to me.

I have no idea about anything.

I suspect that someone needs to check the batteries in their carbon monoxide detector and i worry it may be me.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

why are mods supporting sex trafficking in that thread?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ChubbyChecker posted:

well, as you can see from the title, there's likely some sort of referral link kickback

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ChubbyChecker posted:

That's a qcs question

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Len posted:

That's a qcs question

yeah, made a thread about it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ChubbyChecker posted:

Sex trafficking and human trafficking are two totally different things, probably easier to just call it sex work like most of the people who perform said sex work prefer to avoid confusion.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

I have no idea about anything.

I suspect that someone needs to check the batteries in their carbon monoxide detector and i worry it may be me.

The really scary thing is when those alarms chirp about a low battery but people ignore it for so long they become desensitized to the sound. Have there been any SA Sagas about that, like some sort of Let's Play/Stream that went horribly awry when a strange high-pitched sound kept coming from their stream while they kept playing, completely oblivious to it? I really hope not.

On a more serious note, please do make sure to keep your fire and CO detectors properly powered, everyone.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I asked politely the first time.

Take it up in QCS or in that e/n thread or wherever, but not in my little fiefdom of PYF. Next post(s) on the subject are getting sixers.

fake edit: thank you, astral.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

astral posted:

The really scary thing is when those alarms chirp about a low battery but people ignore it for so long they become desensitized to the sound. Have there been any SA Sagas about that, like some sort of Let's Play/Stream that went horribly awry when a strange high-pitched sound kept coming from their stream while they kept playing, completely oblivious to it? I really hope not.

On a more serious note, please do make sure to keep your fire and CO detectors properly powered, everyone.

The closest I can think of was the person who posted "I haven't seen my roommate in awhile and their room smells bad" *days pass* "guys my roommate is dead"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Moo the cow posted:

Those things whine very uncomfortably and I have no idea how anyone would tune it out.

They also have like 10 year batteries.

Ya think Grover or BeamMaster put those in their masterworks??

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

Those things whine very uncomfortably and I have no idea how anyone would tune it out.

I feel the same about some posters.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

They also have like 10 year batteries.

Ya think Grover or BeamMaster put those in their masterworks??

A lot (perhaps all?) of the newer ones do have 10 year batteries, but any older ones would still run on 9-volts.

I honestly have no idea how they could tune it out, either. The noise those old-style ones make even when changing the battery before it starts the low-battery chirp was enough to make me buy the 10year type.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I legit have something one step below a panic attack when I hear that smoke alarm battery alert, thanks to loving in the same room as one for a while before it could be fixed, it's just bizarre to me when I run across a podcast/youtube vid where it's just going off every 90 seconds and the host is just oblivious :psyboom:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I legit have something one step below a panic attack when I hear that smoke alarm battery alert, thanks to loving in the same room as one for a while before it could be fixed

look it's not a saga to talk about where you like to get busy

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it used to be a thing on old loveline with adam & drew where they would time the chirps and interview the kids calling in with sex questions what is wrong with them/how doesnt it bother them. I think one girl said she just couldnt reach it, most were confused about what they were talking about

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HiroProtagonist posted:

look it's not a saga to talk about where you like to get busy

:negative:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I legit have something one step below a panic attack when I hear that smoke alarm battery alert, thanks to loving in the same room as one for a while before it could be fixed, it's just bizarre to me when I run across a podcast/youtube vid where it's just going off every 90 seconds and the host is just oblivious :psyboom:

A fun fact I recently learned from these here forums (I think from Motronic?) is that smoke alarm factories have fire alarms that sound absolutely nothing like the smoke alarms they build, because the workers are totally desensitized to the EEEEEEEE noise from testing the units.

Not sayin' that's the case with these weirdos, but I guess some folks can get used to anything so annoying but regular [obligatory "much like your/my posting" joke here].

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Another thing to know: carbon monoxide detectors have a limited lifetime of usefulness. Early ones were 3 years usually, new ones are 10. Then you're supposed to replace them.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Len posted:

The closest I can think of was the person who posted "I haven't seen my roommate in awhile and their room smells bad" *days pass* "guys my roommate is dead"

Am I a sadist for wanting to see this thread?

My cavalier university act was deferring some bad news from reaching my housemate so we could have a night out. It was a letter from the university saying she was about to be excluded. 24 hours later I dropped it on the doormat like nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

knife_of_justice posted:

Am I a sadist for wanting to see this thread?

My cavalier university act was deferring some bad news from reaching my housemate so we could have a night out. It was a letter from the university saying she was about to be excluded. 24 hours later I dropped it on the doormat like nothing happened.

I think it was one of the old ladychat threads?