Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RFC2324 posted:

That wildlife mostly wants to kill and/or eat you

But enough about west texans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i also liked the bit where he was expecting media attention for his epic quest across america, like he's forrest gump or something. like yeah walking a super long distance is impressive and notable but it's also not really the kind of thing that gets on the news, a few hundreds of people through hike the appalachian trail every year and nobody cares

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RFC2324 posted:

His toy gun was the worst idea

I keep imagining the Breaking Bad opening scene with Walt in his underwear, only it's a crying, out-of-shape goon and there's a big bright orange cap on his pistol's muzzle

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep imagining the Breaking Bad opening scene with Walt in his underwear, only it's a crying, out-of-shape goon and there's a big bright orange cap on his pistol's muzzle

and a broken cart in the background

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Do any of the images survive anywhere?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Calico Heart posted:

Do any of the images survive anywhere?

If you use the script from the waffleimage saclopedia page some of the images still exist.

like the infamous pig shooting
https://i.imgur.com/wQ7OLOu.jpg No actual wounded animals in this pic.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 22, 2020

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Was he a dick?

E: To contribute, my best celebrity encounter was Ice-T’s agent calling me at a very large dialup ISP on a Saturday. I, as a technical support nerd, informed the agent that we couldn’t reset Mr T’s password (yes I said it like that) because Customer Service was closed on the weekend. He brought Ice on the line so my dumb 16 year old rear end could repeat that, which I did with a slightly shakier voice.

Ice-T told me it was cool and not to worry about it.

Did you ask him what his first dog’s name was?

https://youtu.be/X9jXnZS3ouU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

this deserves to not be buried, this is a hilarious mini-saga.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Brain Curry posted:

Did you ask him what his first dog’s name was?

https://youtu.be/X9jXnZS3ouU

He was way more chill in 1999.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Famethrowa posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely amazing, especially with that musical number.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's bipolar and everyone pegged him as being in a bad manic episode within the first couple pages and tried to point this out to him iirc.

I'm glad he didn't die in the literal desert every cartoon models deserts off of and where he'd have his bones picked apart by Looney Toons vultures while they go "eh, it's a living!" I also think there is a level of humor in that he was an oblivious manchild with well-off family and seemed to keep trying mostly out of personal ego and in spite of plenty of reasonable arguments for why he was putting himself in life-threatening danger though.

All right, that does make it a bit less funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically the thought process of a kid who threatens to run away from home and packs a bindle full of toys.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Famethrowa posted:

ty lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Carthag Tuek posted:

(from back when i was called Snapchat A Titty)

That was a good name

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Ice-t himself was cool as gently caress about the fact I couldn't reset his password. Eh I'll just use AOL.

i meant dead mau five seems like a dick, ice-t is probably cool idk

Pham Nuwen posted:

If he wanted people to stop and talk to him, the cart was a bad choice. Especially in the San Francisco area, if you see a bedraggled man shoving a cart full of cheap camping gear through a public park, you're going to assume he's homeless, and you've already been hit up for change 10 times since you left your house this morning so you avoid him. Also if I remember correctly, he was basing his gear and route on a guy whose name was something like "Hobo Ron".

I think people even pointed out actual cross-country hiking trails, including the American Discovery Trail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Discovery_Trail) which has a terminus in Point Reyes National Park, the same loving place he was starting from. Actually, typing that out... had he actually been convinced to do the ADT instead of his Google Maps route before he started?

"Hobo Nick" lol who, goons speculated, may have had his parents watching over the trip and asking strangers to give him money to keep him alive.

and yes he was convinced to do the ADT instead of the google maps car route

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

i also liked the bit where he was expecting media attention for his epic quest across america, like he's forrest gump or something. like yeah walking a super long distance is impressive and notable but it's also not really the kind of thing that gets on the news, a few hundreds of people through hike the appalachian trail every year and nobody cares

Looking at before and after photos of Appalachian trail hikers should be enough to show how bad an idea an out of shape goon going on a cross country hike is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Looking at before and after photos of Appalachian trail hikers should be enough to show how bad an idea an out of shape goon going on a cross country hike is.

Fat is a prime energy source for the body, I have prepared for this day

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

weed cat posted:

i meant dead mau five seems like a dick, ice-t is probably cool idk

"Hobo Nick" lol who, goons speculated, may have had his parents watching over the trip and asking strangers to give him money to keep him alive.

and yes he was convinced to do the ADT instead of the google maps car route

As dumb as Muerte's plan was Hobo Nick is actually a real person and he has a blog where you can read about his trip here and on twitter. Whether Muerte actually talked with him or not who can say, but it seems like a stupid thing to make up.
https://twitter.com/hobo_nick/status/242995351148187648

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having some chub is genuinely v good for long distance hiking, under reasonable circumstances.

sources: love hiking, am goon

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

this is fuckin rad and reminds me of when @fart/docevil was a guest on HLN because the news network did zero homework and booked him, Jon Hendren @fart, instead of journalist John Hendren @johnhendren. they asked him about edward snowden and he starts off normal but then goes into, "just because he had scissors for hands" and "yes edward scissorhands is definitely a hero to me"

Hub Cat posted:

As dumb as Muerte's plan was Hobo Nick is actually a real person and he has a blog where you can read about his trip here and on twitter. Whether Muerte actually talked with him or not who can say, but it seems like a stupid thing to make up.
https://twitter.com/hobo_nick/status/242995351148187648

he probably did have some correspondence with hobo nick. goons were asking questions because in nick's journey there were people who like, gave him a $100 bill out of kindness, which maybe was the parents pulling some strings behind the scenes?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
there is a reason actual hobos don't go on life-changing cross-country walks, get handed loads of money by strangers, and post along the way on twitter about it, with loads of news outlets covering their amazing journey, yes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And there's also a reason that if you live in the same neighbourhood for five years you're going to see many of the same homeless people.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There is something funny in a goon essentially ripping off another dudes trip for his journey of self discovery though.

This is a pic of Hobo Nick's gear

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 23, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having some chub is genuinely v good for long distance hiking, under reasonable circumstances.

sources: love hiking, am goon
misread this as a chub.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nature is the one place you can have a big floppy boner and no one can throw you out because you're already out :hai:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Heath posted:

Nature is the one place you can have a big floppy boner and no one can throw you out because you're already out :hai:

when i say i want bears to subscribe to my onlyfans that's not what i meant

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

there is a reason actual hobos don't go on life-changing cross-country walks, get handed loads of money by strangers, and post along the way on twitter about it, with loads of news outlets covering their amazing journey, yes.

That reason: a lack of charities teaching qmtje disadvantaged social media techniques

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That reason: a lack of charities teaching qmtje disadvantaged social media techniques

If we had let them turn all the homeless into wifi hot-spots this wouldn't be an issue

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
As an antidote to that rather depressing story:

I tried to drive a 40 year old Soviet Car from Kazakhstan to England

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Didn't see it mentioned, but another good detail is Muerte trying to get Burger King to sponsor him with free chicken fries along his trip.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another "funny" part of it is after he passed out in a public park within city limits, his reaction was not "Gosh, this is a bit harder than I thought. I doubt I would have made it across the country.', but instead "Nobody stopped me to talk so I could tell them that mental illness exists. That's not fair. Also I totally would have made it all the way across America if not for ... reasons. Ah well, better try to drive across in a Mercedes. Coz that's totally the same thing."

There's no doubt he was mentally ill, (I think he said he was bi-polar and autistic.), but he was also a massive arsehole who would not take advice from people who knew better, and was totally convinced that he and he alone was a super duper altruist, and that by taking donations from friends and family for gas money, he was actually saving the world.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

This is all starting to sound like that goons were harassing a man because he was mentally ill.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

I seem to remember it being an aging BMW that he tried to take across the country, with corresponding AI posts about broken poo poo on it

ChubbyChecker posted:

This is all starting to sound like that goons were harassing a man because he was mentally ill.

i don't remember him talking about ASD but i remember bipolar; my impression of the thread was more that people were like "dude you sound like you're in a manic episode you need to take a step back from this stuff" but he wouldn't take no for an answer and abandoned the thread, opting to go on his ill-fated journey

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

weed cat posted:

I seem to remember it being an aging BMW that he tried to take across the country, with corresponding AI posts about broken poo poo on it

i don't remember him talking about ASD but i remember bipolar; my impression of the thread was more that people were like "dude you sound like you're in a manic episode you need to take a step back from this stuff" but he wouldn't take no for an answer and abandoned the thread, opting to go on his ill-fated journey

Looks like that he was even stalked on Facebook:

purple death ray posted:

He abandoned the thread pretty quickly but goons follow the whole story via Facebook updates from goons he added before he realized he wasn't getting the reaction he wanted

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

ChubbyChecker posted:

That's exactly what it was, and pretty much everyone who posted in that thread should have been banned. Actually the OP should have been banned for mental self-care reasons before it even got past first page. But what do you expect from this hellsite.

edit: and how is this person not permabanned... jfc

Musharraf fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 23, 2020

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Homophobic slurs were considered appropriate at the time. Oh wait 2004 was the regdate, the post is only 5 years old :yikes:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ChubbyChecker posted:

It was more like the "I've fallen in the well" E/N story but whatever makes you feel superior to nasty old goons I guess

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i don't like the implication that there are goons who are mentally well

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ChubbyChecker posted:

No see he approached us at first that makes it totally cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
being nominated for sainthood, for i did not utter even a single chuckle at the GORP goon's self inflicted 48 hour plight