Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

cda posted:

Did I dream it or was there a GBS goon who built a giant spider robot

youre thinking of the movie Wild Wild West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

youre thinking of the movie Wild Wild West

Nobody is thinking of Wild Wild West.

Except maybe Will Smith who chose being in that instead of being Neo in The Matrix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moo the cow posted:

Nobody is thinking of Wild Wild West.

Except maybe Will Smith who chose being in that instead of being Neo in The Matrix.

Maybe he chooses to think of it as “opted to be in that instead of being Neo in The Matrix sequels”.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Maybe he chooses to think of it as “opted to be in that instead of being Neo in The Matrix sequels”.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

cda posted:

Did I dream it or was there a GBS goon who built a giant spider robot

Pretty sure there was a thread in old old gbs about this guy who documented his giant spider robot build on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13A11662BDE6EB83

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Pretty sure there was a thread in old old gbs about this guy who documented his giant spider robot build on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13A11662BDE6EB83
My name is Jamie, and I've decided to build a giant robot, DAMMIT

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I keep clicking this loving forum out of muscle memory, but I saw this thread and remember posting in one of the ancient versions of it so:

My favorite saga, if you could call it that, was the FYAD friends program. We picked a goon from another forum to be locked into FYAD for a week. How we picked them varied, like I think we had Aegulus? the cool fashion goon, who kicked rear end. Then one of the lowcarb beef jerky guys who didn't play along at all. And "a japanese pop icon" I think was the last one? She seemed really crappy and GBS but was actually cool as hell. We played GunBound with her instead. I also got my first double kill during that time, sick. This was probably like 2011 or 2012 so I dunno if there were any others

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
SuperMechaGodzilla was a FYAD friend:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613748

There was another one during that era but he never showed up to post.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
A few days ago, I suddenly remembered that once there was this GBS thread where the OP really wanted to "hang out" with Amanda Bynes. He insisted he wasn't trying to get her to date him or anything, but he got enough people to help campaign for her to notice him that she tweeted about how some guy was doing "something super creepy."

Does anyone remember if anything else ever came of that thread?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Probably a restraining order.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuns with Guns posted:

A few days ago, I suddenly remembered that once there was this GBS thread where the OP really wanted to "hang out" with Amanda Bynes. He insisted he wasn't trying to get her to date him or anything, but he got enough people to help campaign for her to notice him that she tweeted about how some guy was doing "something super creepy."

She got schizophrenia.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She got schizophrenia.

Whoa.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Amanda please!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably a restraining order.

Lord, I hope so...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She got schizophrenia.

Nah, I'm guessing that was a mix of genetics and environmental factors, like having to work under an abusive pedophile TV producer for years

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Who doesn't want to hang out with Amanda Bynes?? I would settle for her posting, here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Who doesn't want to hang out with Amanda Bynes?? I would settle for her posting, here.

The woman has suffered enough imo

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Don't we have enough of that kind of drama already?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Aren't you already settling for the forum anyway?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Aren't you already settling for the forum anyway?
Letter from Hank Scorpio: It's not Gaia Online, but it's a start

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The woman has suffered enough imo

What I'm hearing here is to make her a mod.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
This might not be a “saga,” and it may have already been posted here, but whatever. It’s good content.

I was just re-reading the “Donkey Kong turned my sister communist” thread. It starts out with somebody’s sister having a revelation about scarcity while reminiscing about Donkey Kong, and by the fourth post, Platystemon is in there banansplaining Gros Michel to the crowd. Somebody comes in with “there are only like two dozen types of banana left on the planet” and Platystemon is all BZZT WRONG and starts dropping science.

By page two, it’s the banana thread, with Platystemon explaining everything from why breeding a fungus-resistant banana is a state-level project, to why the banana blossom, despite appearances, would NOT make a good butt plug. People are like, “THIS KNOWLEDGE! WERE YOU SENT BY THE GODS??” and Platystemon is all, “No, I’m just an amateur banana enthusiast,” then he swerves to avocados, and the thread dies.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914227

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuns with Guns posted:

The best failed goon dating project will always be the time GBS made a thread about creating the most unappealing Tinder profile possible and then messaging women to prank them. A single woman agreed to meet the fake profile at McDonalds and then everybody suddenly took it very seriously and got into arguments about getting to be the one to go to the date. Ultimately one goon rode over an hour on the train and then spent the afternoon in McDonalds waiting for her to show up and then when it was obvious he had been stood up and he was messaging her asking where she was she roasted him.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sleeveless posted:

The best failed goon dating project will always be the time GBS made a thread about creating the most unappealing Tinder profile possible and then messaging women to prank them. A single woman agreed to meet the fake profile at McDonalds and then everybody suddenly took it very seriously and got into arguments about getting to be the one to go to the date. Ultimately one goon rode over an hour on the train and then spent the afternoon in McDonalds waiting for her to show up and then when it was obvious he had been stood up and he was messaging her asking where she was she roasted him.

No. No, this didn't happen. It couldn't have. You're lying.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sleeveless posted:

Ultimately one goon rode over an hour on the train and then spent the afternoon in McDonalds waiting for her to show up and then when it was obvious he had been stood up and he was messaging her asking where she was she roasted him.

Hell, tell me this man took a printer with him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

I would like to know more.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Does anyone have a link to the thread where Jeff Atwood came into the forums and hawked Discourse

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Six Course, by Chef Fatwood of Snack Overflow

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would like to know more.

He really wasn't that much of a catch, Solice Kirsk

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

HiroProtagonist posted:

This is the US government so assuming they aren't doing the bare minimum is probably already cause to assume you're setting oneself up for failure if you don't provide all of the relevant parameters.

I also don't know there's a need to move off of this topic, I personally would think it was extremely lol to FOIA lowtax's interactions with federal law enforcement.

the USSS directly investigates threats to the sitting president, however the Department of Justice is the keeper of records for all federal investigations. the USSS doesn't bother with that poo poo.

e: not sure if the FBI or not but a FOIA request to the DoJ would still include everything.

UPDATE

I ended up sending a FOIA request to the FBI and they got back to me pretty quickly to let me know they found nothing.

I am really beginning to doubt Lowtax's story on this.

bedpan fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 13, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortunately Rich lying about it would also qualify as a saga, so we can keep talking about it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bedpan posted:

UPDATE

I ended up sending a FOIA request to the FBI and they got back to me pretty quickly to let me know they found nothing.

I am really beginning to doubt Lowtax's story on this.

hmmm very suspicious now.

As the governing agency for the Secret Service the only other likely possibility would be Treasury. Edit: DHS now, I guess.

Likewise, or DoJ at large, but I'm assuming since you didn't do that then it wasn't possible/feasible/whatever to FOIA an entire agency of that complexity?

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 13, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's weird, please stop trying to confirm if the drug addled wife beater is a lier. You're coming off as a crazy person

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Len posted:

That's weird, please stop trying to confirm if the drug addled wife beater is a lier. You're coming off as a crazy person

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

HiroProtagonist posted:

hmmm very suspicious now.

As the governing agency for the Secret Service the only other likely possibility would be Treasury. Edit: DHS now, I guess.

Likewise, or DoJ at large, but I'm assuming since you didn't do that then it wasn't possible/feasible/whatever to FOIA an entire agency of that complexity?

The FOIA request website doesn't have something for a request to the Justice Department as a whole, you have to target the individual agencies.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Len posted:

I dunno but I found the brief look into the past to be fascinating. Spending the 5 - 10 minutes to look further into myth was entirely worth it.

bedpan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 13, 2020

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
This kind of completely sane and normal behaviour probably belongs more on the fruit website than here.

(jesus christ)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

In the grand scale of goon weirdness, sending FOIA requests to federal agencies to check a widely-repeated piece of site history isn't really in the top ten. Source: This Thread

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Plus with the FOIA's you have a lot less flask loving.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pentyne posted:

Plus with the FOIA's you have a lot less flask loving.

We should do a FOIA request to see if loving a flask gets you on a watchlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

We should do a FOIA request to see if loving a flask gets you on a watchlist

And then write to our congresspeople if it turns out it doesn't.