Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, I made it that as a tongue-in-cheek thing years ago, eventually sort of forgot it was there by virtue of seeing it every day, and only recently realized it's a little meaner sounding now that the Coldly Compiled Lists joke isn't so common.

What was the "Coldly Compiled Lists joke"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

lol just lol if you don't swallow still-writhing goldfish to take their lifeforce for yourself

You are Translator Zeiat and I claim my five eggs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's time for Corvidae, my favourite bird family!

Of the corvids, crows are probably my favourite. They're smart, they're everywhere, there's a family of them who like to hang out in the tree outside my house and scream at passing raptors. But crows also get all the press (along with ravens, aka "it's like a crow but 30% bigger and gloomier"), so instead I'm going to talk about one of the prettiest corvids: the blue jay! They're ubiquitous where I live and I usually see a few in my backyard every day.

In the summer they're pretty sleek

In the winter they get reaaaaaaal poofy, unless they migrate south -- fun fact, some blue jays migrate south and some don't! It doesn't seem to be regional, though, in any given area some will migrate and some will just stay there year-round.

They're omnivores, but they especially love peanuts. If you set up a peanut feeder and keep refilling it they will figure out not just where you live, but where in the building you tend to be at any given time of day, and, when it runs out, fly to that window to scream at you.

They also do whatever this is. Probably an argument over a peanut, or possibly an air traffic control failure.

Len posted:

In the boardgame Wingspan corvids are great utility birds. In the base game they have the ability to turn an egg into x food. So if you put them in your lay eggs column you can get whatever food you want. One of them (American Raven I think?) Can trade one egg for two food which is stupid strong early game

My girlfriend got us Wingspan for christmas and we've been playing it a bunch, and my best game was the one where I got like three corvids and just went all-in on the corvid strategy. Hoarding corvids is a brutally effective strategy.

A lot of things about that game impress me, but probably the thing that impresses me the most is how good a job they've done making the mechanics of the various birds thematically related to their real-world behaviours.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Blue jays are great. Probably my favorite corvids that I see on a regular basis. But they never come to say hello! :smith:

Feed them for a while.

If they still won't say hello, stop feeding them and they'll come say hello very loudly until you start again. :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Applesnots posted:

I raised a blue jay from a baby once.
They are smart as gently caress. His cage was in my room and he would wake up before me, somehow open up his cage and then grab an empty food packet. He would then fly over to my bed and peck my toes with is beak and when i would stir he would shake the food packet at me and squawk to let me know it was food time.
I let him have free reign of my room, and he would sit on my wrist as I typed and would peck keys too.
He was climatized to the wild and released according to wildlife management.

I am incredibly envious of you right now and probably forever, FYI.

I can probably never have a pet bird because I will always have cats, and that ends with either the cats attacking the bird or (more likely, knowing corvids and knowing my cats) the bird endlessly psychologically loving with the cats.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

Yeah, it was after a few of the posters tried to defend repeatedly calling the black mod "uppity".

This is not at all what happened, but it's a convenient lie that's impossible to refute because that thread got disappeared¹ by Fluff after they spent two pages calling out his terrible moderating.

One person accused Fluff of wanting to purge all the "uppity trans folk" (IIRC) from the forum, which doesn't seem like much of a reach considering he'd outright said earlier he had a list of trans posters he wanted to get rid of and was just waiting for an excuse. Fluff did the thing where he skims a post and then responds to a few keywords rather than what was actually said. Somehow this mutated into "a bunch of trans posters called Fluff uppity".

This, along with Fluff's official policy of "you can't warn other trans posters about threats to them² and you can't post about transphobic things that happen on the forums because There Is No Transphobia On SA", prompted a bunch of trans posters to either move entirely to other subforums or ditch SA entirely.

¹ Not to be confused with the previous thread, which got disappeared by KM for being full of personal information.
² You know, the same lovely policy that got the fabgoons thread moved out from Bobbie W's modding.

t-.-t posted:

wait, what? I don't remember that happening at all.

That's because it didn't!

Pick posted:

bird. whats it like to be bird. what must that be like? bird wants to fly. bird wants to eat seeds, insect, small fish. bird wants to make calls in the morning to announce sexual hierarchy of bird. but pry keys off of keyboard? yes. this is also the wish of bird. bird dreams, beautiful dreams

That is an excellent bird. Look how happy! Look how satisfied!

Thank you for bird.

(Speaking of birds, PYF has a Birds thread and anyone who doesn't already have that bookmarked is missing out. I'm not sure if watching birds ride escalators or learning about the time a goon was adopted as a babysitter by a family of crows count as "sagas" per se but it's a nice antidote to the grim reality of nightmare hellyear 2020.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is pretty concerning though, like can you actually link to where Fluffdaddy or any of the other mods said this? Because that's pretty hosed up.

I'm pretty sure the "you can't discuss systemic transphobia on SA in here" pronouncement was in the old trans thread, so it's gone forever, sorry. You can however see Fluff arguing that systemic discrimination is impossible on SA over in QCS, which is kind of a continuation of that argument. (It also seems like it's flatly absurd since most mods, including IIRC Fluff, are quite open about how they consult with the mods of other subforums when making moderating decisions, and there's a huge overlap in users between subforums.)

E: that said this is getting kind of QCS-y so we should probably take it to PMs or something if this discussion continues

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 18, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm sorry, Bird.

To try to bring things somewhat back on track: there is, right now, a traveling kitty sixer thread, in the same tradition as traveling chickencheese. If you feel like your rap sheet doesn't have enough cats in it, you can post in it and get a six-hour probation with cat photo by one of the mods of whichever forum it's located in at the time. It doesn't look like it's taken off as much as chickencheese did, but presumably its activity will ebb and flow with the activity in the various forums as it moves around.

It's also just a good thread to read for cat photos if you've exhausted the Cat Thread and the Cute Thread.

SunAndSpring posted:

To move this thread to happier times because I feel very bad now and want to be helpful, could someone please explain to me why goons got really big into EVE Online?

Disclaimer: I was never a part of Goonfleet, although I did fly with a small goon-run corp for a while. So this is just my understanding based on playing EVE for a while and chatting with goons who were much more into it than I was.

The thing about EVE is that the devs have a very hands-off approach to what they permit in game. Griefing is fine. Running scams and cons is fine -- hacking isn't but convincing someone else to give you all their money voluntarily in exchange for promises you have no intention of delivering on is a-ok. Attacking people in high-security space is "forbidden" in the sense that CONCORD, the robotic police, will kill you for it, but if you have enough firepower to shoot someone down before CONCORD finishes killing you and are willing to sacrifice your ship doing it, go for it. Infiltrating other corps under false pretences and stealing all their poo poo, manipulating the (almost entirely player-run) market, using the vast wealth from said market manipulation to put out contracts on anyone who threatens your dominance -- all fine. (And all things Goonfleet has done.)

It's also a game where organization and cooperation is a huge force multiplier, and that's something that goons are usually pretty good at among themselves. So a well-organized corp composed of people who are all working together towards a common goal can punch well above its weight. And on top of that, Goonfleet developed at the time innovative strategies like "recruit loads of people and give all them basic equipment rather than making them earn it so even the rawest newbie can be a contributing member of the corp".

Oh, and while it's a subscription game, you can buy subscription time with in-game money, so if you're good at making money in-game (by, say, running entry-level cons against an often surprisingly gullible playerbase), you can play for free or at least a steep discount.

So, you have a game with unprecedented scope for loving everyone else's poo poo up, intentionally very little moderator oversight as long as whatever you're doing is technically allowed by the game mechanics, and lots of pubbies screaming about e-honor when their hugely expensive battleships are swarmed and destroyed by dozens upon dozens of ships that, collectively, cost less than 10% of what theirs did, all while you play for free. That's goon catnip right there.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

folks if you want to see some OUTSTANDING cats, the traveling cat-probe thread (PREVIOUSLY ON PYF) is in GBS and GRINDCORE MEGGIDO is on a loving tear, so check the Leper's Colony (like you don't already refresh it every five minutes)

I'm sad I missed out on its stay in PYF, I would have loved a kitty sixer from Pastry or Bird.

Shifty Nipples posted:

I keep forgetting to take a picture of my chickens to post in the traveling kitty sixer thread. :(

Here, have one of mine:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Chickens wallow? I did not know that.

Chickens love their loving dust baths and they are going to hate me forever, or at least until I give them more mealworms, when things warm up and we fully enclose that raised bed in chickenwire and start planting things in it again.

They can deal with it, though, they've completely destroyed the southwestern flowerbed to turn it into a set of dust baths (it's ok, it was a garbage flowerbed anyways) and the slope at the back of the yard looks like it's been used as an artillery test range because it's covered in chicken-sized craters.

On warm days they also praise the sun by finding a sunbeam and then just falling over in a boneless heap that looks very much like they are dead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Now you've got me going back through my old Peace Corps photos, and I had forgotten how popular that fence was:

This is definitely the best picture I've taken of anything ever, but this was the most useless loving cat in the history of cats. I'd watch rats crawl over the top of my mosquito net almost every single night; never saw this cat catch a single one in two years.

e: he was a happy little rear end in a top hat though, probably because he never had to do anything.

I think most cats have figured out at this point that while the ancient pact says that they get food and shelter in exchange for hunting vermin, they can usually get away with purring and looking cute if they're feeling lazy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Charles posted:

I've fed chicken dog treats to crows. Is that wrong? Also I noticed people feed their chickens egg shells? Isn't that...auto-cannibalism?

So, nutritionally, eggshells are great for them. Lots of calcium, lay good sturdy eggs. The big hazard is that you have to make sure the shells are smashed up so that they don't recognize them as "an egg", because if they realize that eggs are edible, they'll often start laying eggs and then immediately turning around and eating the eggs they just laid (along with everyone else's). Now, eggs are even better nutritionally -- they're full of everything a growing chick needs, after all -- but usually if you're keeping chickens, you want them to lay eggs so you can eat them.

Ethically, it's not as bad as out and out cannibalism, and that's something most chickens will engage in without hesitation.

Since chickens are considered prey by many animals (including us), are usually fed grain and vegetable scraps (or commercial feed), and rarely attack humans or other livestock, there's a tendency to think of them as docile herbivores, but they really aren't; they're vicious backyard dinosaurs and will happily supplement that grain diet with insects, amphibians, reptiles, rodents (including mice and rats, and chipmunks if they can catch them), and while they're not usually in a position to catch birds, they will eat bird meat if they can get it.

In conclusion,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtuoHyLEiw&t=22s

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499406&userid=98439#post406323019

edit: that link's kinda borked, it's how I had it saved in my bookmarks. Scroll up to see the comic, and then the follow-up.

If nothing else, it's got some of E/N's Greatest hits, worth a look and/or stroll down memory lane.

accessing this content requires the Archives upgrade

Assuming that's the "draw comics of your favourite E/N threads" thread, how on earth did that thread not get goldmined? I was there when it was happening and it was amazing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Can you taxidermize a dead website? Asking for a friend

FilthyImp posted:

The Wayback Machine will do it, for a price

You can do home taxidermy using wget -krp! It might take a while, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Greader posted:

Just lmao if your first way of accessing the web privately, without using your family pc wasn't the web browser of your Wii. Videos would often not even load properly and typing anything was a pain in the rear end while you gotta point and click every single letter, but at least you didn't need to worry about family looking over your shoulder at any time :v:

When I was a kid you used the web privately by starting up a second instance of NCSA XMosaic configured to bypass the family Squid proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I don't post a lot but I also want to chime in to let Bird know how great she was as a modmin. Hopefully the world treats her well.