Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Bring back HELLTANK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Jesus, he was way worse than I remembered

Yikes

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Is this the dude who got probated like a day after his 100k probation expired

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

really hatea the south

And loved Iowa, and was a frequent poster in the Unpopular Opinion thread.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I still don't get the point of gambling when there's zero chance of coming out ahead.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

we don't need every thread to be about Bernie Sanders, truly

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Dear Richard,

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

One More Fat Nerd posted:

to folks posting "the only ethical action a sapient being can undertake is painless self termination" in animal rights/agriculture threads and being emptyquoted for several pages.

Did this actually happen or has it become part of lore over the last decade or so?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It was pretty bad, and also served as a case study for why moderation is good.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I refuse to read that entire thread again but I remember everyone coming together to figure out how to deal with a kid who was determined to seek unholy pleasure even if it literally killed him.

A bicycle pump ohhh goddd

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"He was inexplicably unbanned and continues flame and swear at anyone who so much as flirts with views held by Republicans or libertarians."

Late but that made me chuckle from happyelf's saclopedia bc that's basically SA now and I think we all like it that way.

PRON HAUL 2008 KILL YOU ARE PARENTS

Happyelf would have fit right in with CSPAM. He was ahead of his time.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

It's really easy to underestimate how conservative the board was back then.

Happyelf won me over when he went on a rant on someone who was disputing black holes or something and he was like "Oh, so you need empirical data. How exactly do you, personally want to gather it? Perhaps with some Oan bling, or a chromed out surfboard?"

He had a way with words, and also a habit of flying off the handle at the slightest provocation, whether about international politics or Dungeons and Dragons.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

pentyne posted:

More like the 2 week mark starting with the long effort post by someone who said they returned their wife's christmas presents so they could donate $6k to a racist white redneck with fantasies of being a restaurant mogul.

It just descended from there as goons got so hyped on their own farts they started insisting Doobie embrace a bunch of SA specific stuff like make a "frog-dog" and start getting really testy when it wasn't happening fast enough.

The guy who ended up triggering the furor was posting in QCS to complain about some poo poo from BBS and also happened to love Weapon Brown as an excuse for why he should be allowed to say the bad word.

And so the forum went to war.

ok so he was a guy who believes everyone secretly uses or wants to use racial slurs but they're forced to be polite by THOSE PC LIBS

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

good news guys, SA is showing huge growth with Zoomers

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

you guys remember the guy who was an open nazi, to the point of posting "sieg heil," and somehow only caught regular bans for a long time?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=215927

this may be too "drama," apologies if so

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

CineD is having an extremely normal one over (you guessed it...) Marvel movies

In which we discuss what people expect of "discussion" and where SMG levels up into a thread-destroying JRPG boss.

Gonna need a summary of 16 pages of Marvel nonsense, thanks.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why are two PYF threads having food derails now?

It's lunch time in most of the US.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I'm Jon Stewart

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I believe the evidence for Jon Stewart being a goon was that he said "comedy gold" once.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

please someone tell me I'm not crazy - I swear to god a goon ate someone, is this true? is my memory loving with me?

Well there was a prominent user named Cannibal

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Tater the Orange Idiot always looks Very Concerned

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

GBS 2.0 was a great case study of what happens to a popular online community when "no mods no masters" is actually implemented. In shocking news it gets overrun by terrible people!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Dabir posted:

I don't know what the hell a catlady is supposed to be but everyone I've seen complaining about them seems pretty insufferable

They are.

Also as someone who's been registered here for far too long, people have been complaining about mods not letting things be like they used to be since at least 2003.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It was pretty weird at the time to see this place agree nearly unanimously that it was just patently offensive and tasteless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Remember when the PYF Butts thread tore this subforum apart? It's back in limited-time, SFW, and heavily moderated form!

Looks like it's going great so far.