Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've managed to get Nemesis working and it's made me wish that I tinkered around with The Awakened some more as I had completely forgotten that these games were designed to work with Vista. I've played Nemesis before on an older system and it worked just fine, The Awakened uses the same engine and I was experiencing the same amount of choppiness and scratching my head with it. I'll poke around some more as enabling Vista compatibility mode seems to have made things smoother, we may still experience some choppiness but I will try to mitigate it as much as possible. I'll definitely try to have a video up before the week is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In July 1895, Arsene Lupin, a young French thief with an impressive track record, has crossed the Channel with a daring proposition for Sherlock in his own territory. Lupin threatens to steal five of England's most prized treasures in hopes to humble the "vanity" of the English, and leaves a riddle containing information on what his first crime will be.

Notebook screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/xpetJw5

I seem to have mitigated some performance issues that I had with The Awakened, I didn't even think about compatibility issues until I had issues even starting up Nemesis. This wasn't an easy recording and felt like it could have gone better, the only thing that tempted me to make another re-recording is because of the sequence at the end as I could have been more direct with plot devices and left the optional stuff entirely until the end of the video. I don't want to go into too much detail but the advancement of actual gameplay ends around the 22:00 mark, everything afterwards is entirely optional. There are two further points of interest, a very interesting one at the 22:45 and a potentially interesting one at the 34:11 mark.

Edit: This video is blocked in Iran, Cuba, North Korea and Syria. I apologise for letting you all down!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 3, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Watson, dude, Im pretty sure "Medici" isn't pronounced like that.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I think it's neat that there were call-backs to the previous games, both the obvious ones like the statue and the bookseller having lost his mind and the more subtle one of the hansom being Miss Bromsby's.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
It's clear that Frogwares had a great respect and affinity towards Sherlock Holmes, they just unfortunately weren't very good at making games. I never played Nemesis, so I'm super interested in this!

The first one I personally played was Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper, and I liked it enough to go and try the earlier games. However, playing through The Awakened (the original, not the remake) convinced me to stop that endeavor. But like I said, I'm very interested in seeing where exactly Frogwares started to hit their stride.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes & Watson find out what Lupin is planning to steal and plan to stop it from happening with Lestrade's help. I had absolutely no idea that Arsène Lupin was even an actual thing until someone pointed it out to me, I thought that he was just a character created for the game.

Wikipedia article posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Lupin

Leblanc introduced Sherlock Holmes to Lupin in the short story "Sherlock Holmes Arrives Too Late" in Je sais tout No. 17, 15 June 1906. In it, an aged Holmes meets a young Lupin for the first time. After legal objections from Doyle, the name was changed to "Herlock Sholmes" when the story was collected in book form in Volume 1.

Sholmes returned in two more stories collected in Volume 2, "Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmes", and then in a guest-starring role in the battle for the secret of the Hollow Needle in L'Aiguille creuse. Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmes was published in the United States in 1910 under the title "The Blonde Lady" which used the name "Holmlock Shears" for Sherlock Holmes, and "Wilson" for Watson.

In 813, Lupin manages to solve a riddle that Herlock Sholmes was unable to figure out.

The Doyle estate is still very protective over the use of Holmes despite the copyright protection running out, I can't imagine that they were overly impressed with the release of this game.

Notebook screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/DQxJGdo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The popular Japanese anime character, Lupin the 3rd, is the grandson of Arsene Lupin. Of course, this was not done with the consent of the original Lupin rightsholders so there was an issue when getting it translated and distributed overseas, at least until the copyright expired.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Going from Lovecraft to someone who just wants to prank England hard is a pretty great turn-around.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of the National Gallery. We discover the clues that Lupin has left for his as well as discovering his next intended target. There is a graphical glitch and a couple of cuts, the first is down to mistaking the aim of a puzzle in the test run and the other is to cut down the length of an image-based puzzle. I do try to put some effort into the logic behind solving clues and puzzles but there were a couple that I struggled with in this recording session.

Notebook screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/WJtULPe

sb hermit posted:

The popular Japanese anime character, Lupin the 3rd, is the grandson of Arsene Lupin. Of course, this was not done with the consent of the original Lupin rightsholders so there was an issue when getting it translated and distributed overseas, at least until the copyright expired.

It's funny that you say that as Maurice Leblanc, the author of the Lupin stories, used Sherlock Holmes in a novel without Doyle's consent. When Doyle found out he took legal action so Leblanc changed the names to Herlock Sholmes and Wilson. I'm so happy that you told me this.

Kibayasu posted:

Going from Lovecraft to someone who just wants to prank England hard is a pretty great turn-around.

Considering the subject of the previous game and the subject of the next game, having a fun prankster is a bit of a nice break from death and bleakness.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I had absolutely no idea that Arsène Lupin was even an actual thing until someone pointed it out to me, I thought that he was just a character created for the game.

It's still a thing in 2021:

Lupin | Bande-annonce officielle I Netflix France
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmuYqeeNpc

Lupin | Official Trailer | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0iTWXCGa0

I don't have netflix so can't say anything about it, but I read a lot of Maurice Leblanc books when I was a teenager; I liked them then. Never read Arthur Conan Doyle though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Holmes and Watson visit the Tower of London and find out what Lupin has done with the ravens. This part of the game was quite fun to play with lots to explore in a big area and learning more about birds.

Notebook screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/wijiPDl

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

"I won't be giving you a reward for its return though eh? Just so we're clear"

"I don't expect to find it, my friend. Good night"

this exchange made me laugh a lot harder than it should

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

"I won't be giving you a reward for its return though eh? Just so we're clear"

"I don't expect to find it, my friend. Good night"

this exchange made me laugh a lot harder than it should

*refrains from making a shag joke*

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Very accommodating birds.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Please calm down about the socks Watson, drat.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video centres solely on trying to capture what's inside of the tower dungeon. We found out that Holmes can duel-wield polearms and we see just how low Watson can go when he is feeling desperate enough. To be fair on Watson, what happens really isn't his fault and hopefully, it's nothing that can't be reversed in the near future.

Notebook screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/rMfWtYe

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I have a feeling that the pesky reporter is an associate of Lupin, if not the man himself.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Excited to meet Batman next episode

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Watsooooonnn! You got some explainin' to do!

I love how Watson got totally conned by Barnes (who, if he knew that the book was not as expensive as he made it out to be, he should have loaned it to Watson as collateral for his debt) and was berated by Sherlock. And he still has to get Sherlock's medal back! I think Sherlock is thoroughly enjoying this mystery but Watson (as usual) is not coming out of it any better than the usual mysteries. And all for a series of pranks as well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sb hermit posted:

Watsooooonnn! You got some explainin' to do!

I love how Watson got totally conned by Barnes (who, if he knew that the book was not as expensive as he made it out to be, he should have loaned it to Watson as collateral for his debt) and was berated by Sherlock. And he still has to get Sherlock's medal back! I think Sherlock is thoroughly enjoying this mystery but Watson (as usual) is not coming out of it any better than the usual mysteries. And all for a series of pranks as well.

Now I kind of want a companion game where Holmes is so wrapped up in an adventure of little importance but national pride and every time Holmes sends Watson off somewhere on an errand he solves some incredible crisis.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Just to give people a heads up, I decided to give The Devil's Daughter another test run for performance. I'm afraid to say that until I get a new system or an upgrade in some hardware, I will be taking this off of the list as there is no way that I will be able to play to do it any justice right now. The Testament To Sherlock Holmes works smoothly so I'm not worried about approaching it but that is where this megathread will end. I'm going to look into upgrading or replacing next year and when I do, The Devil's Daughter and Chapter One will be made a priority.

Kibayasu posted:

Now I kind of want a companion game where Holmes is so wrapped up in an adventure of little importance but national pride and every time Holmes sends Watson off somewhere on an errand he solves some incredible crisis.

"I'm pleased to say that after I had foiled the assassination attempt, recovered the crown jewels during a high-speed horse chase and uncovered a plot to blow up the London Docks while out chasing some leads for Holmes it gave him some focus on our most important case to date. He was able to devote his complete attention at Buckingham Palace to solve 'The Case Of The Queen's Missing Undergarments'!".

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Holmes & Watson find the final two birds at the Tower Of London and discover what Lupin's next target will be. It's a long night at the tower for the pair and there's no rest for either of them in the morning, Watson seems to be losing his grip even further and I don't believe that he's going to regain it anytime soon.

It's been a while since my last update, I've just had a few unexpected things crop up this week. I mentioned that The Testament To Sherlock Holmes would be the last game in this LP series, I had forgotten about Crimes & Punishments which runs fairly decently in high settings during recording, I'll do some tweaking when it's time but I'm pretty confident that I can conclude this megathread with this game.

Notebook screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Uv4gXSt

Maigius posted:

I have a feeling that the pesky reporter is an associate of Lupin, if not the man himself.

I had the same suspicious and decided to look a little deeper towards the end of this video.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ginger for thread mascot!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know I wasn't expecting the medal to come back again, just figured it was going to be one of the adventure game kleptomania moments that happen. Probably bookended by a comical "Waaaaaatson!"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I used to be worried about Barnes, but now I don't care if he has to remove a kidney without anesthesia to pay off his debts.

Watson, though... :ohdear:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Case Of The Silver Earring should be moved to the archives shortly, I've amended the OP to include The Awakened and have submitted another archive request.

Kibayasu posted:

You know I wasn't expecting the medal to come back again, just figured it was going to be one of the adventure game kleptomania moments that happen. Probably bookended by a comical "Waaaaaatson!"

Is it wrong to assume that Holmes would be more annoyed about his missing narcotics than about his medal? I'm starting to think that the theft of national treasures is just a ruse so Lupin can mess around with Sherlock on a much more personal level.

sb hermit posted:

I used to be worried about Barnes, but now I don't care if he has to remove a kidney without anesthesia to pay off his debts.

Watson, though... :ohdear:

I feel the same way as you do. I'm still unsure why they left the book with Barnes as it's a one of a kind, the only reason that I can think of is to thank him for his services over the years.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I don't think Holmes cares about the medal. He's not big into accolades, especially from people who he doesn't respect all that much. Which is most people.

I fully expect Watson to jump through all kinds of crazy hoops to get the medal back, and then Holmes will incidentally say something like "btw Watson don't worry about the medal you obviously used to bribe some thugs with, I couldn't have found a better use for it myself." And then the Price is Right sad horn plays.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

My word, this is getting better. Now I'm hoping for a slapstick fight between Holmes and Lupin at the end of the game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished a test run for the next recording and I have learnt a few things.

1) Watson is screwed.

2) There's a puzzle in this game that I'm struggling to get my head around: the safe puzzle. I get the logic behind it and mechanically it makes sense, but the execution of it has caused a little contention within me. I'll try to record a video tomorrow and I'll try to explain during it but for those who have played this game before I'll spoiler tag a little below:

The number ninety at the top seems to imply that when going clockwise, each short dash equals five and the long dashes equal fifteen. The biggest number on the middle dial is 120, which means that if we apply the previous logic to the smaller dials the biggest number on these dial will indeed be 120.

The solution: You're a sad, laughable figure, aren't you?

What am I missing?

3) Watson is so, so screwed!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:ohdearsass:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Holmes & Watson visit the British Museum, meet the Prime Minister and then make preparations for Lupin's visit. Holmes and Lestrade turn the museum into an impenetrable fort with an impressive force placed at every conceivable entrance. What could go wrong? :stonkhat:

I don't know why I mispronounced Marquess (Mar-quiz) and Salisbury (Salls-bree), I feel a little silly now for doing it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've just finished a test run for the next recording and I have learnt a few things.

1) Watson is screwed.

2) There's a puzzle in this game that I'm struggling to get my head around: the safe puzzle. I get the logic behind it and mechanically it makes sense, but the execution of it has caused a little contention within me. I'll try to record a video tomorrow and I'll try to explain during it but for those who have played this game before I'll spoiler tag a little below:

The number ninety at the top seems to imply that when going clockwise, each short dash equals five and the long dashes equal fifteen. The biggest number on the middle dial is 120, which means that if we apply the previous logic to the smaller dials the biggest number on these dial will indeed be 120.

The solution: You're a sad, laughable figure, aren't you?

What am I missing?

3) Watson is so, so screwed!

I have never seen a character screw himself over as thoroughly as Watson has.
For 2) The puzzle seems to be asking for degrees from the origin at 0. Each of the small tick marks equals 15 degrees, and the larger ones 45 degrees

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Oh no, Watson should take his naps and have better care of his caloric intake. It seems if he's tired and has a low level of blood sugar he turns from a steadfast sidekick into a bumbling criminal accomplice and a vandal.

Arguably worth it to see Lupin airsurf away on the Rosetta Stone. I wonder if the game goes into any detail of his getaway plan after that stunt. Half of Scotland Yard is supposed to be there, and surely he'd need something like a horse carriage to move the stone?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm placing the blame for this squarely on Barnes.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I was really annoyed playing this part, having to be stupid as Watson. It felt like a step or ten further than he would ever go before telling Holmes himself.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

I'm placing the blame for this squarely on Barnes.

:same:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The real mystery is how Lupin was able to grow his moustache again so quickly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This recording gives me some consternation as I know it's far from a perfect recording session. We have already experienced a segment of hunting for clues in the National Gallery, this part of the game ramps it up majorly. This recording starts off with a tour of the museum exhibitions before we go on the hunt to solve clue after clue. I did a test run earlier to spend time figuring out the logic behind the solutions. I was also trying to gauge how to approach this video as I had no idea how it would go and how much progress that I would make in the game. Recording this video was a little overwhelming with trying to remember information, facts and figures on the fly with a few handwritten notes. I decided to leave this video as is, even with the rookie errors in the LP handbook. There is a single cut towards the end as I was having issues with some keyword inputs and thought that I had made a mistake in progression.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even if they aren't quite as puzzly as the previous ones having multiple key word puzzles for a single place is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Holmes solves the rest of Lupin's clues scattered around the museum and finds out the next target. I had a chance to leave work early today and took it so I could recuperate a little from a busy week. Recording this video didn't feel much like recuperation but I'm glad that I had plenty of time to take my time approaching and executing it. It was only one puzzle that was causing me some issues and after a few tries I was only having issues with one of the clues and in the end, I decided to record and admit defeat.

Notebook screenshots (These include the screenshots from the last video as I had forgotten them in the last update): https://imgur.com/a/texzvsi