Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Just to clarify, Phillip Arneau is listed in the directory but he isn't available to visit at home. I seemed to have missed him off the list as it produces the same result as a red herring/dead end. This is an oversight on my part and I apologise.

Phillip Arneau can be found at the Princess Theatre. I can redirect the Irregulars to the Princess Theatre but if you want a freebie as compensation: I'd highly recommend sending the detectives to the Princess Theatre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
At this point I'd just send the boys out for a drink a the Red Bull Inn.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
I had another idea about the murder itself: What if General Armstead was killed in self-defence? Picture this: The letter the visitor brings incriminates Armstead on account of his past, and the visitor confronts A. or even tries to blackmail him over it. During the argument, A. flies into a rage, grabs his sword from off the wall, threatens the visitor who then draws a sword of his own from the carpet bag or a walking cane or perhaps from under his coat, a fight breaks out and A. gets killed? It begs the question why the visitor would carry a sword or somesuch, but it may be a valid option.

E: Also, what if the murderer got away because the butler was an accomplice?

Old Grey Guy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 2, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The voting is over and here are the results and the order of locations that we will be visiting:

Cabot - 2
Russian Embassy - 2
Princess Theatre - 1
Hogg - 1

Irregulars: Red Bull Inn - 1

At this point in time, we are only missing one more vital location before we can bring the case to the judge. The only question that needs to be answered this time is Who killed General Armstead? I've been impressed so far with the handling of both cases, I'm confident that this will be cracked within the next couple of updates.

Edit: The next update should be happening tomorrow evening.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 2, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Tin Soldier (Update #3)

Notebook (New clues will be spoilered.)

1. The detectives learn that General Farnsworth Armstead, one of the six surviving Tontine Ticket holders, has been murdered. The remaining ticket holders are Robert Juergens, Anita and Clara Thomas, William Roland and Peter Dudley. Lastly, they learn that he was working on a revision to a book for his publisher and hear the circumstances of his death.

2. David Sennett recounted the facts of General Armstead's death to the two detectives. These include a turned military figure, a painting of the General's wife, a book the General was writing and, most importantly, an old man with a cane and carpetbag who killed the General.

3. Holmes and Watson visited Wells Osborne of Norgate and Co Publishers. They discovered that the General was contacted by one Pierre Matin who had information about the Polar Star gem.

4. Holmes visited Captain Juergens. The Captain speaks badly about his nephew Booth Lacey and says he hasn't seen Armstead in some time.

5. After a visit to old Peter Dudley, it is clear to Watson that the man is not a spry young man anymore.

6. Watson visited Anita Thomas and her sister Claire. He learns that the old ladies are leaving everything they have to the Ladies League of Finches.

7. Sent Irregulars to Raven and Rat Inn.

8. The detectives met with Jean Paul Gerard at the French Embassy where they learn of Armstead's marriage to Mary Finch and the general's liaison with a young girl decades ago. They also find out that the previous week, the two old friends saw a play headlined by the French actor Phillip Arneau.

9. Holmes and Watson visited the Bridgehouse Hotel where they retrieve a note from Norgate and Company and learn that Pierre Matin was found dead. A large Russian man was seen fleeing the scene.

10. Sherlock Holmes visited the estate of Malcolm Fitch. There the younger Fitch admitted to Holmes his dislike for General Armstead because he cheated on his sister, Mary. When asked about his whereabouts this morning, Lord Fitch said he was tending to his sick wife.

11. Watson visited Meek at St. Bart's. Sir Jasper explained that a sword thrust to the General's heart was the cause of death.

12. Holmes and Watson paid Pike a visit at the Societies Club. They learned that Armstead was quite the ladies' man and had a lot of trouble with his brother-in-law, Lord Fitch.

13. Sent Irregulars to Russian Embassy.

14. Sherlock Holmes visited with Cabot and verifies that Cabot was home all morning.

15. Holmes and Watson visited the Russian Embassy where they discover that Count Rostov is staying at DeKesyer's Hotel.

16. The detectives visited the Princess Theatre. They met the troupe manager who raved about his nephew Phillip's performances. They also learned that Phillip recently lost his mother and is staying at the Grand Hotel. He is currently visiting the National Gallery.

17. Holmes visited Hogg, who spoke of the Polar Star gem and how it was stolen from it's previous owner, Count Rostov, years ago in St. Petersburg by an Andre Matin. Matin was later found dead.

18. The Irregulars paid a visit to the Red Bull Inn. There they learn that Booth Lacey was spotted at London Bridge Station.

Locations

Ainstree, Dr. A. - World authority on tropical diseases.

Armstead, General (Sennett, David) - Tontine Ticket holder. Decorated soldier of foreign wars and author of "Treasure of the Conquerors".

Banks - Bank Of England - Established in 1694, the Bank of England is the only financial institute in the city with the legal authority to issue paper money. In 1834, it moved to it's current building located on Threadneedle St.

Cabot, Carson - Carson Cabot is a collector and trader of gems.

Cobbett, Wentworth - Local English poet of little renown.

Dudley, Peter - Tontine Ticket holder. Mr. Dudley associates with company that is at best questionable.

Ellis, Henry (Newspaper - London Times) - Baker Street Regular.

Embassies - French Embassy - The French Embassy is situated on the southern end of Hyde Park.

Embassies - Russian Embassy - The current ambassador is Staal'Egor Egorovich, an austere and gloomy sort suffering from bouts of melancholy.

Fitch, Malcolm - Malcolm Fitch is the son of Lord Fitch and the grandson of the Earl of Leicester.

Goldini Restaurant - Located on Gloucester Road. Watson and I are quite fond of their duck.

Hall, Edward (Old Bailey) - Baker Street Regular.

Hogg, Quentin (Newspaper - Police Gazette) - Baker Street Regular.

Hotels - Bridgehouse Hotel - Modest accommodations for businessmen and travelers. Located near Hatham-grove.

Hotels - Dekeyser's Royal Hotel - A fashionable stopping over spot for foreign dignitaries. Well known in London for their superb watercress sandwiches.

Hotels - Grand Hotel - The Grand Hotel is located in Charing-cross. It is one of London's most recently built hotels.

Hotels - Langham Hotel - The Langham Hotel is located in the West End of London. It boasts the city's most elegant accomodations. The Tontine banquet is to be held there.

Juergens, Robert - Tontine Ticket holder.

Lacey, Booth - A common beggar, but very clever indeed. He has been known to use numerous disguises in his endeavor to bilk the public out of their tuppence.

Lestrade, Inspector (Scotland Yard - Criminal Investigations) - Baker Street Regular.

London Bridge Station - The railway station located in Bermondsey. It is the end of the line for the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway.

London Library - Baker Street Regular.

Meek, Sir Jasper (St. Bartholomew's Hospital) - Baker Street Regular.

Murray, H.R. (Scotland Yard - Criminology Lab) - Baker Street Regular.

Norgate and Co. - Wells Osbourne is a senior partner of Norgate and Company, a London publisher. Recently they have published more than their share of controversial books. They are located at 36 New Oxford-street, WC.

O'Brian, Disraeli (Office Of Records) - Baker Street Regular.

Pike, Langdale (Society Club) - Baker Street Regular.

Princess Theatre - The Princess Theatre showcase splendid productions from France. The box office is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Quaritch's - A pub on the West End. Once temporarily shut down when a patron found a friend cockroach in his fish and chips.

Red Bull Inn - The Red Bull Inn is a working class pub. It is located on the road to the Priory School.

Rowland, William - William Rowland is a Tontine Ticket holder.

St. Mary's Church - St. Mary's is an Anglican church on Finsbury Square. It is known for its mid-morning ministries to the poor and hungry.

Shinwell, Porky (The Raven and Rat) - Baker Street Regular.

Shoemaker, Lloyd - A former society columnist for several of the London "garbage papers." He was forced into retirement in 1877 when Langdale Pike began gaining in popularity.

Somerset House - Baker Street Regular.

Thomas, Anita/Claire - Anita and Claire Thomas are Tontine Ticket holders.

Vegetarian Restaurant - Located on the backside of Jabez Wilson's Pawn Shoppe. They are known for their cream of leek soup.

Time to vote!

You can choose up to, and including, five more locations for the detectives to visit. You're also free to send the Irregulars to one location.

It's too early to call for an end to the case. One more vital piece of evidence is needed before we can answer bring General Armstead's killer to justice.

Voting will end Tuesday 5th May, 2200 GMT

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It seems we are nearing the end of our inquiries.

Send Holmes and Watson:

1) Time to see if the Count is a man who is as capable as the Russian acrobats in town, so it's off to DeKesyer's Royal Hotel.
2) We should also see if Booth Lacey is capable of disguise that would fool a seasoned butler, so we should visit London Bridge Station.
3) Phillip Arneau is also praised to be able to age before the audience's eyes, so let's see what a professional actor is capable of by going to the Grand Hotel.
4) Langdale Pike mentioned his predecessor might know more about Armstead's past social situation, so a visit to Lloyd Shoemaker may be in order to see if any one party's motive is more prominent.
5) Finally, out of morbid curiosity, let's see what Inspector Lestrade has come up with in his investigations, or at least see how out of his depth he is for a chuckle.

Send the Irregulars:

I guess just to cover all our bases, let's send boys to the Somerset House to see if we've missed anything on the inheritance end of things.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
I feel like I ought to apologise, my friends, and believe me, it's puzzling me as much as it probably gets on your nerves. Every time I think of this case, my inner Poirot drags me back to the murder scene. Please bear with me.

Je suis désolé, but what do we actually know?

We have a bona fide report of a mortal wound from a sword, in such a way that it could be the result of a sword fight.

And that is it. For everything else, we only have the butler's (David Sennett) word for it. Supposing there was a call at the door, who met the caller? The butler. Who overheard a fight? The butler. Who found the body? The butler. Who says the attacker got away? The butler.

Ah, but the little grey cells, they will not rest. Everything hinges on our believing the butler's story, n'est-ce pas? But how does the murder scene look if we *don't* believe the butler's story?

The general Armstead is in his study, and the butler is around, busying himself with daily routines. The weapons on the wall are not maintained and honed by the maid, this is the butler's duty. After poring over some paperwork, the general decides to stretch his legs a little and gets up to move around the room. Naturally, the butler removes the sword from the wall to give it a polish, and the men exchange wartime anecdotes. Then, without warning, the butler murders the unsuspecting general in cold blood. The butler arranges the body and cleans the sword, he uses a piece of metal to create nicks in the blade to fake the impression that the general died defending himself. He then rushes past the maid to suggest the murderer is on the run. But the murderer never had to escape, because the murderer is still in the house, hiding in plain sight.

And the call at the door? The butler tells us that a very conspicuous man delivered a letter to the general. What if the letter was a note to the butler telling him it was time to strike? Or, was the caller the recipient of a parcel from the butler, to remove something (perhaps the diamond) from the premises?

The motive could be related to the general's past or it could be a simple, brutal robbery.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Old Grey Guy posted:

I feel like I ought to apologise, my friends, and believe me, it's puzzling me as much as it probably gets on your nerves. Every time I think of this case, my inner Poirot drags me back to the murder scene. Please bear with me.

Je suis désolé, but what do we actually know?

We have a bona fide report of a mortal wound from a sword, in such a way that it could be the result of a sword fight.

And that is it. For everything else, we only have the butler's (David Sennett) word for it. Supposing there was a call at the door, who met the caller? The butler. Who overheard a fight? The butler. Who found the body? The butler. Who says the attacker got away? The butler.

Ah, but the little grey cells, they will not rest. Everything hinges on our believing the butler's story, n'est-ce pas? But how does the murder scene look if we *don't* believe the butler's story?

The general Armstead is in his study, and the butler is around, busying himself with daily routines. The weapons on the wall are not maintained and honed by the maid, this is the butler's duty. After poring over some paperwork, the general decides to stretch his legs a little and gets up to move around the room. Naturally, the butler removes the sword from the wall to give it a polish, and the men exchange wartime anecdotes. Then, without warning, the butler murders the unsuspecting general in cold blood. The butler arranges the body and cleans the sword, he uses a piece of metal to create nicks in the blade to fake the impression that the general died defending himself. He then rushes past the maid to suggest the murderer is on the run. But the murderer never had to escape, because the murderer is still in the house, hiding in plain sight.

And the call at the door? The butler tells us that a very conspicuous man delivered a letter to the general. What if the letter was a note to the butler telling him it was time to strike? Or, was the caller the recipient of a parcel from the butler, to remove something (perhaps the diamond) from the premises?

The motive could be related to the general's past or it could be a simple, brutal robbery.

David Sennett is in the directory so we can accuse him in court. Both cases so far have thrown diversions our way, it would be a big surprise if it was indeed the butler. The stories about "Horseface" and gems were just an effort to send the detectives on a wild goose chase, turning the Napoleon figurine was just to add even more confusion to the mix.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The voting is over, as these were the only votes cast I'll keep the order as it is.

Bootcha posted:

It seems we are nearing the end of our inquiries.

Send Holmes and Watson:

1) Time to see if the Count is a man who is as capable as the Russian acrobats in town, so it's off to DeKesyer's Royal Hotel.
2) We should also see if Booth Lacey is capable of disguise that would fool a seasoned butler, so we should visit London Bridge Station.
3) Phillip Arneau is also praised to be able to age before the audience's eyes, so let's see what a professional actor is capable of by going to the Grand Hotel.
4) Langdale Pike mentioned his predecessor might know more about Armstead's past social situation, so a visit to Lloyd Shoemaker may be in order to see if any one party's motive is more prominent.
5) Finally, out of morbid curiosity, let's see what Inspector Lestrade has come up with in his investigations, or at least see how out of his depth he is for a chuckle.

Send the Irregulars:

I guess just to cover all our bases, let's send boys to the Somerset House to see if we've missed anything on the inheritance end of things.

I've been playing more of The Mystery Of The Mummy lately, it's been a while since I last completed it and it seems more straightforward than what I remember.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Holmes is going to be especially smug when explaining the best case I think.

Dekeyser's Royal Hotel for presumably Count Rostov.

Grand Hotel for Phillip.

This certainly seems to be circling the Polar Star but why kill Armstead? My only thought is his dalliances in France have something to do with it.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

For me the gem feels like a red herring.

Phillips much older sister died tragically, which lead to his mother having a breakdown and finally dying just before Armstead’s murder. I suspect the sister was the unknown female of Armsteads past.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Tin Soldier (Update #4)

1. The detectives learn that General Farnsworth Armstead, one of the six surviving Tontine Ticket holders, has been murdered. The remaining ticket holders are Robert Juergens, Anita and Clara Thomas, William Roland and Peter Dudley. Lastly, they learn that he was working on a revision to a book for his publisher and hear the circumstances of his death.

2. David Sennett recounted the facts of General Armstead's death to the two detectives. These include a turned military figure, a painting of the General's wife, a book the General was writing and, most importantly, an old man with a cane and carpetbag who killed the General.

3. Holmes and Watson visited Wells Osborne of Norgate and Co Publishers. They discovered that the General was contacted by one Pierre Matin who had information about the Polar Star gem.

4. Holmes visited Captain Juergens. The Captain speaks badly about his nephew Booth Lacey and says he hasn't seen Armstead in some time.

5. After a visit to old Peter Dudley, it is clear to Watson that the man is not a spry young man anymore.

6. Watson visited Anita Thomas and her sister Claire. He learns that the old ladies are leaving everything they have to the Ladies League of Finches.

7. Sent Irregulars to Raven and Rat Inn.

8. The detectives met with Jean Paul Gerard at the French Embassy where they learn of Armstead's marriage to Mary Finch and the general's liaison with a young girl decades ago. They also find out that the previous week, the two old friends saw a play headlined by the French actor Phillip Arneau.

9. Holmes and Watson visited the Bridgehouse Hotel where they retrieve a note from Norgate and Company and learn that Pierre Matin was found dead. A large Russian man was seen fleeing the scene.

10. Sherlock Holmes visited the estate of Malcolm Fitch. There the younger Fitch admitted to Holmes his dislike for General Armstead because he cheated on his sister, Mary. When asked about his whereabouts this morning, Lord Fitch said he was tending to his sick wife.

11. Watson visited Meek at St. Bart's. Sir Jasper explained that a sword thrust to the General's heart was the cause of death.

12. Holmes and Watson paid Pike a visit at the Societies Club. They learned that Armstead was quite the ladies' man and had a lot of trouble with his brother-in-law, Lord Fitch.

13. Sent Irregulars to Russian Embassy.

14. Sherlock Holmes visited with Cabot and verifies that Cabot was home all morning.

15. Holmes and Watson visited the Russian Embassy where they discover that Count Rostov is staying at DeKesyer's Hotel.

16. The detectives visited the Princess Theatre. They met the troupe manager who raved about his nephew Phillip's performances. They also learned that Phillip recently lost his mother and is staying at the Grand Hotel. He is currently visiting the National Gallery.

17. Holmes visited Hogg, who spoke of the Polar Star gem and how it was stolen from it's previous owner, Count Rostov, years ago in St. Petersburg by an Andre Matin. Matin was later found dead.

18. The Irregulars paid a visit to the Red Bull Inn. There they learn that Booth Lacey was spotted at London Bridge Station.

19. Sherlock Holmes visited Count Rostov at Dekeyer's Royal Hotel. The Count tells Holmes how his valet, Vladimir, found the dead body of Pierre Matin.

20. The two detective's talked to Booth Lacey at London Bridge Station. Booth says he was at St. Mary's Church the morning of the murder.

21. Holmes and Watson inspected Phillip Arneau's room at the Grand Hotel. There they found a tragic letter from 'Fleurette', a sword in a cane and a carpetbag.

22. Holmes and Watson visited Lloyd Shoemaker. Rumor has it that General Armstead had an affair with a French girl while engaged to Mary Fitch.

23. Holmes and Watson visited Inspector Lestrade at Scotland Yard. The Inspector indicated they were not needed- that he has the case all but solved.

24. The Irregulars visited Somerset House. General Armstead's money is willed to the Armstead Foundation.

Locations

Ainstree, Dr. A. - World authority on tropical diseases.

Armstead, General (Sennett, David) - Tontine Ticket holder. Decorated soldier of foreign wars and author of "Treasure of the Conquerors".

Banks - Bank Of England - Established in 1694, the Bank of England is the only financial institute in the city with the legal authority to issue paper money. In 1834, it moved to it's current building located on Threadneedle St.

Cabot, Carson - Carson Cabot is a collector and trader of gems.

Cobbett, Wentworth - Local English poet of little renown.

Dudley, Peter - Tontine Ticket holder. Mr. Dudley associates with company that is at best questionable.

Embassies - French Embassy - The French Embassy is situated on the southern end of Hyde Park.

Embassies - Russian Embassy - The current ambassador is Staal'Egor Egorovich, an austere and gloomy sort suffering from bouts of melancholy.

Fitch, Malcolm - Malcolm Fitch is the son of Lord Fitch and the grandson of the Earl of Leicester.

Goldini Restaurant - Located on Gloucester Road. Watson and I are quite fond of their duck.

Hotels - Bridgehouse Hotel - Modest accommodations for businessmen and travelers. Located near Hatham-grove.

Hotels - Dekeyser's Royal Hotel - A fashionable stopping over spot for foreign dignitaries. Well known in London for their superb watercress sandwiches.

Hotels - Grand Hotel - The Grand Hotel is located in Charing-cross. It is one of London's most recently built hotels.

Hotels - Langham Hotel - The Langham Hotel is located in the West End of London. It boasts the city's most elegant accomodations. The Tontine banquet is to be held there.

Juergens, Robert - Tontine Ticket holder.

Lacey, Booth - A common beggar, but very clever indeed. He has been known to use numerous disguises in his endeavor to bilk the public out of their tuppence.

Lestrade, Inspector (Scotland Yard - Criminal Investigations) - Baker Street Regular.

London Bridge Station - The railway station located in Bermondsey. It is the end of the line for the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway.

Norgate and Co. - Wells Osbourne is a senior partner of Norgate and Company, a London publisher. Recently they have published more than their share of controversial books. They are located at 36 New Oxford-street, WC.

Princess Theatre - The Princess Theatre showcase splendid productions from France. The box office is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Quaritch's - A pub on the West End. Once temporarily shut down when a patron found a friend cockroach in his fish and chips.

Red Bull Inn - The Red Bull Inn is a working class pub. It is located on the road to the Priory School.

Rowland, William - William Rowland is a Tontine Ticket holder.

St. Mary's Church - St. Mary's is an Anglican church on Finsbury Square. It is known for its mid-morning ministries to the poor and hungry.

Shoemaker, Lloyd - A former society columnist for several of the London "garbage papers." He was forced into retirement in 1877 when Langdale Pike began gaining in popularity.

Thomas, Anita/Claire - Anita and Claire Thomas are Tontine Ticket holders.

Vegetarian Restaurant - Located on the backside of Jabez Wilson's Pawn Shoppe. They are known for their cream of leek soup.

Time to vote!

You can choose up to, and including, five more locations for the detectives to visit. You're also free to send the Irregulars to one location.

All the key locations have been visited, you can now close the case by answering one question: Who killed General Armstead? If someone can answer correctly before the next update I will take the case directly to the judge.

Voting will end Friday 8th May, 2200 GMT

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I vote to close the case.

Who killed General Armstead? Phillip Arneau.

1) Phillip's room contained a cane with a hidden sword, the letter addressed to the victim's past rank, and a carpetbag. These were the identified items the suspect was carrying to meet with the victim.
2) The suspect either had to be an elderly man with athletic prowess, or a younger man in disguise. Phillip while not strictly young is among the youngest of our suspects, all other potential suspects were either nonathletic, or very physically distinct.
3) As it turns out, the victim did leave something behind in France: A bastard child mothered by this "Fluerette". Jean Paul Gerard said it had been 40 years since he last saw the victim, which according to the elder Arneau's complicated family aging, would put the victim at 34 and the unnamed Arneau sister at 23. Phillip would have been 8 at the time.
4) Phillip plays Napoleon. Napoleon is historically portrayed as short. The suspect is described as short. Also remember the little tin soldier of Napoleon being turned around. Perhaps the victim was identifying the suspect.
5) The recent death of Phillip's mother means he was probably the last of his immediate family. That is a life changing event that may induce rash behavior.
6) The victim was not seeing any visitors, explicitly, on the day of his death. Inquiries about the Polar Star probably would have been turned away, but old ghosts from France would probably let one in.

Lestrade was right about one thing: The person without an alibi was the killer.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 7, 2020

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Bootcha posted:

1) Phillip's room contained a cane with a hidden sword, the letter addressed to the victim's past rank, and a carpetbag. These were the identified items the suspect was carrying to meet with the victim.
2) The suspect either had to be an elderly man with athletic prowess, or a younger man in disguise. Phillip while not strictly young is among the youngest of our suspects, all other potential suspects were either nonathletic, or very physically distinct.
3) As it turns out, the victim did leave something behind in France: A bastard child mothered by this "Fluerette". Jean Paul Gerard said it had been 40 years since he last saw the victim, which according to the elder Arneau's complicated family aging, would put the victim at 34 and the unnamed Arneau sister at 23. Phillip would have been 8 at the time.
4) Phillip plays Napoleon. Napoleon is historically portrayed as short. The suspect is described as short. Also remember the little tin soldier of Napoleon being turned around. Perhaps the victim was identifying the suspect.
5) The recent death of Phillip's mother means he was probably the last of his immediate family. That is a life changing event that may induce rash behavior.
6) The victim was not seeing any visitors, explicitly, on the day of his death. Inquiries about the Polar Star probably would have been turned away, but old ghosts from France would probably let one in.

Agreed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bootcha posted:

Excellent deducing, all these points are correct. One additional piece of evidence relates to what the troupe manager said about Phillip's performance as Napolean, Arneau is seemingly a master when it comes to make-up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Now that the case will be closed, we will be asked additional questions when we take it to the judge. These are purely for your own leisure, I will be answering them correctly during the recording:

Why was the General killed?

A. To get him out of the running for the Tontine prize money.

B. To avenge the honour of Arneau's sister, Fleurette.

C. To prevent the publication of the revised edition of Treasures of the Conquerors.

D. Because of his marriage of convenience to Mary Fitch.

What was the General trying to say when he turned around the figure of Napoleon?

A. He wasn't trying to say anything. The figure was turned accidentally during the struggle.

B. War, like murder, is an exercise in futility.

C. The sword that killed him was identical to the one Napoleon carried at Waterloo.

D. His murderer was the actor who was playing Napoleon, Phillip Arneau.

What did the General call his wife? (I'm not sure why this is relevant to the case...)

A. My Fleurette.

B. Old Money bags.

C. Horseface.

D. Rich Fitch.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's an odd last one. Does the bailiff actually ask that?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bootcha posted:

That's an odd last one. Does the bailiff actually ask that?

I arrived home from work and have just finished recording the final, we are indeed asked that question. I'm not sure on the reasoning behind it other than to see whether we were paying attention to the smaller details. Still, there are plenty of other questions that we could have been asked.

I've already compiled all of the video clips into one file. I have some free time in the morning, I should be able to put together an optimal run during that time. If all goes well I'll have everything up tomorrow night.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Those sorts of questions are sort of a scoring balance item, something of a holdover from the print version. Although in this case it was one of those meant to lower your score if you didn't get it, since it's a 'required' Part 1 question. (The questions in print came in two sections — Part 1 were all questions you could answer on the perfect route, i.e. Holmes' path, and Part 2 were bonus points about extraneous details or red herrings, designed to boost your score when you likely didn't do it exactly perfectly. )

The original print version of this has one of the most egregious bad clues, but I'll wait till after the solution is posted to talk about it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Tin Soldier (Update #5) Finale

This is the final update for this case and it contains the courtroom session as well as Holmes' solution.

Let's Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Tin Soldier

This is the optimal playthrough. I made an attempt at trying to make some sort of sense out of it, I'm not sure how well I succeeded though. There are four key locations in this case: General Armstead\David Sennet, the French Embassy, the Princess Theatre and the Grand Hotel. The Irregulars aren't required to get an optimal score.

Bonus Videos

Here are all of the video clips for this case, timestamps are included in the description:

The Tin Soldier: All Video Clips

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 8, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I forgot to mention that the next case, The Mystified Murderess, is pretty much ready to go. I'm going to give myself a little more time to prepare so I'm aiming to start the case on Sunday, I'll also extend the initial voting period by another twenty-four hours as there are four more new newspapers to read through.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So in the original print version, the general did not move the Napoleon figure. Which one did he turn around? Wellington. Isn't it obvious why? Wellington is the opposite of Napoleon, and he's facing the opposite direction! Because when you have only a faint hope of leaving a clue to your killer with your last breath, of course you would make it as cryptic as possible. Why ruin the fun for the police?

I think this is a pretty decent case, though, with a fair amount of promising leads. I always found it slightly odd that that they made sure not to make Philip the actual child of the affair. I figured he could have only just discovered his mother is his grandmother. So much of the case seems like it could have gone that way, or at least they could have left it ambiguous.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

I think this is a pretty decent case, though, with a fair amount of promising leads. I always found it slightly odd that that they made sure not to make Philip the actual child of the affair. I figured he could have only just discovered his mother is his grandmother. So much of the case seems like it could have gone that way, or at least they could have left it ambiguous.

I guess it's because the point of the murder was avenging the "honor" of Phillip's sister. If Phillip was Armstead's grandson, I think the more fictional narrative would be that it would be a cause for celebration of "you're my blood!". But in this case, "You screwed my sister, got her pregnant, left her behind, caused her to kill herself after my niece/nephew died, and drove my mother insane with grief to eventually die too", is a pretty fiery motivation for murder.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was thinking more along the lines of, "you're my father who abandoned me and the fallout destroyed my family, now you die". Although I suppose the lost honor might be more fitting to the duel, so I guess it works.

I think the other detail that I think would have made a stronger narrative would not have the emotional turmoil resulting from his mother's death be the inciting incident, but imply that his mother recently revealed this information on her deathbed, so that up to the point he didn't actually know the man's name . Otherwise it feels like, "You know, if I ever get the chance to do a play in London, I should really get around to confronting the man I have a murderous rage for."

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Mystified Murderess

Introduction

"Francis Nolan is found hovering over the body of her lover, Guy Clarendon, in a London hotel with a pistol in her hand. She's convicted of Guy's murder, despite having no memory of ever being there, nor purchasing the gun that was bought in her name. She insists that she's innocent as Holmes and Watson take on the case to see if she is telling the truth. Along the way, Holmes and Watson learn about Guy Clarendon's dark past."

Newspapers

The remastered version of the game has condensed the amount of newspapers for this case and combined material into new editions.

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/PU5F1hm

Thursday, June 26th 1890

Saturday, June 28th 1890

Thursday, July 3rd 1890

Friday, July 4th 1890

1. Gerald Locke visited the detectives at Baker Street, beseeching Holmes to look into the murder of Guy Clarendon at Halliday's Private Hotel. He believes that Frances Nolan, the woman being held at Old Bailey, could not possibly have commited the crime.

Locations

Baker, Roger - Nothing on file.

Banks - Cox & Company Bank - A well-respected financial institution located in Charing Cross. Watson keeps all of the notes on my cases in a dispatch box in their vault.

Clarendon, Sir Francis - Sir Francis jointly owned several diamond mines in South Africa with Hiram Dearth, until Dearth's death in 1881. He recently bought out all of his former partner's shares from the widow, Bessie Dearth. Sir Francis and his wife, Gertrude have one son, Guy.

Davenport, Hiram - Davenport specializes in setting up and administering estates. Never quite made the cut to barrister.

Dearth, Bessie - Bessie Dearth is the wife of the late Hiram Dearth who made his fortune harvesting diamonds from mines in South Africa. Dearth was in partnership with Sir Francis Clarendon.

Goff, S. - Purveyor of used guns at one-third the original price. Located at 28 King-street, Covent Garden.

Hardinge, H.C. - H.C. Hardinge is a distributor of excellent Harris tweeds in the London area. He moved back here in 1886 after residing for several years on the Hebrides island of Lewis-with-Harris.

Hotels - Halliday's Private Hotel - Halliday's Private Hotel, located on Little George Street.

Ignacio's - A restaurant in the northwest sector of London which serves delectable Italian cuisine.

Ivy Plant Pub - Located in Westminster, around the corner from Godolphin Street.

Judd, Nancy - Nothing on file.

Kilgore, Claude - Kilgore served three years in Pentonville Prison for illegal gambling. Was cell mates with James Ryder's friend, Mausley.

Leeds, Sir Sanford - Sir Sanford Leeds is an avid croquet player. He is married to the daughter of the Duke of York.

Lewin, Bradford - Bradford Lewin was educated at Oxford University and now advises the Queen on foreign affairs.

Locke, Gerald - A clerk at Finsterwald's Florist and the suitor of Frances Nolan.

Mason, Dr. Jerrold - Nothing on file.

Nolan, Frances - Younger sister of Loretta Nolan (see Loretta Nolan).

Nolan, Loretta - Frances and Loretta Nolan are the only surviving heirs of Sir Malcolm Nolan, founder of Aberdeen Navigation. On November 18, 1868 their parents were killed when a bomb was hurled into their carriage. Miraculously, Loretta Nolan, aged 4, was uninjured.

Oldwine, Cornelius - Born into a class of idle aristocrats, Cornelius inherited a huge sum at the passing of his mother, Dame Crabtree, daughter of the late Lord Crabtree.

Richmond, Otis - Otis Richmond is a self-made millionaire. His entire fortune comes from his railroad company holdings. He's retired and, these days, spends most of his time playing cribbage and throwing lavish parties.

Robarts, Wilfred - A noted London barrister. He tends to win more of his cases through courtroom theatrics rather than hard presentation of the facts.

Shipping - Aberdeen Navigation - the late Sir Malcolm Nolan founded the Aberdeen Navigation Company.

Trevelyan, Dr. Percy - Dr. Trevelyan was a practising physician at the Mesmer-Braid Institute from 1878 to 1886 where he specialized in treating neurosis through hypnosis. He currently conducts a private practice close to his home on Brooke Street.

Time to vote!

It's far too early to call for an end to the case.

Voting will end Wednesday, 13th May at 2200 GMT.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kangra posted:

So in the original print version, the general did not move the Napoleon figure. Which one did he turn around? Wellington. Isn't it obvious why? Wellington is the opposite of Napoleon, and he's facing the opposite direction! Because when you have only a faint hope of leaving a clue to your killer with your last breath, of course you would make it as cryptic as possible. Why ruin the fun for the police?

I can see why they changed it to the Napoleon figure for the video game adaptation. I read this at work earlier and it is still confusing me even now.

Bootcha posted:

I guess it's because the point of the murder was avenging the "honor" of Phillip's sister. If Phillip was Armstead's grandson, I think the more fictional narrative would be that it would be a cause for celebration of "you're my blood!". But in this case, "You screwed my sister, got her pregnant, left her behind, caused her to kill herself after my niece/nephew died, and drove my mother insane with grief to eventually die too", is a pretty fiery motivation for murder.

Kangra posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of, "you're my father who abandoned me and the fallout destroyed my family, now you die". Although I suppose the lost honor might be more fitting to the duel, so I guess it works.

I think the other detail that I think would have made a stronger narrative would not have the emotional turmoil resulting from his mother's death be the inciting incident, but imply that his mother recently revealed this information on her deathbed, so that up to the point he didn't actually know the man's name . Otherwise it feels like, "You know, if I ever get the chance to do a play in London, I should really get around to confronting the man I have a murderous rage for."

I think that Phillip being the brother makes things more tragic as it involves the death of an infant. He's already come to terms with the death of his sister, something that his mother never recovered from as she was put into an asylum. It seemed to be a circumstance that Phillip was in London at the time of his mother's death, she had died only the day before the murder took place. After his mother had died he uncovered the letter which detailed the tragic events of his sister and it was addressed to the person who was the cause of it all.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, being the only one found over a body with a shot pistol, that's gotta be some story if she's innocent.

Still, it'll be some good exercise.

Send Holmes and Watson:

1) First things first, we interview the suspect. Edward Hall at the Old Bailey ought to let us inside and speak to her.
2) We should also interview the victim's family, Sir Francis Clarendon, to see if anything was amiss before his death.
3) Speaking of family, Loretta Nolan should be interviewed for the same thing in regards to the suspect.
4) We are definitely in the realm of Langdale Pike's social observance. The Nolans and Clarendons sound like high society, and like anywhere else, there's beef to be had there.

Send the Irregulars:

Consider it pre-prep, but let's send the boys to Halliday's Private Hotel to see if there's even a crime scene to investigate.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 10, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Getting very strong "LA Noire interview" vibes from Gerald Locke here.

Bootcha posted:

Well, being the only one found over a body with a shot pistol, that's gotta be some story if she's innocent.

Still, it'll be some good exercise.

Send Holmes and Watson:

1) First things first, we interview the suspect. Edward Hall at the Old Bailey ought to let us inside and speak to her.
2) We should also interview the victim's family, Sir Francis Clarendon, to see if anything was amiss before his death.
3) Speaking of family, Loretta Nolan should be interviewed for the same thing in regards to the suspect.
4) We are definitely in the realm of Langdale Pike's social observance. The Nolans and Clarendons sound like high society, and like anywhere else, there's beef to be had there.

Echoing these 4 but also going to the Somerset House to see if we can find out about any inheritance or whatever involved because these old money types are always offing each other to get more out of wills.

Irregulars to Jasper Meek

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

As you're both in agreement, I'm sure that you won't if I keep the listing in the order that they were first presented:

1. Edward Hall - 2
2. Sir Francis Clarendon - 2
3. Loretta Nolan - 2
4. Langdale Pike - 2
5. Somerset House - 1

To be fair, I put the two Irregular submissions into the randomiser:

I'll post the first update in around twenty-four hours.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Mystified Murderess (Update #1)

1. Gerald Locke visited the detectives at Baker Street, beseeching Holmes to look into the murder of Guy Clarendon at Halliday's Private Hotel. He believes that Frances Nolan, the woman being held at Old Bailey, could not possibly have commited the crime.

2. Edward Hall arranged an interview with Francis Nolan for the detectives. Miss Nolan can't remember where she got the pistol or how she got to the hotel. She mentions how she has blacked out twice before in the past month and even Dr. Mason was baffled.

3. The intrepid duo visited the Clarendon estate. Sir Francis had recently cut-off his son from the family wealth. As they leave, the butler mentions that Guy came home roughed up and was afraid for his life.

4. Holmes and Watson talked to Loretta Nolan at her home. Miss Nolan admits to last seeing Guy Clarendon at the Richmond's party the previous week and that her sister said she was going to talk to Guy the night of his death.

5. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson visit the columnist. Pike mentions that Loretta and Guy were not a couple and Holmes deduces that Guy was only interested in Francis for her money.

6. Holmes and Watson visited Somerset House. Their investigation reveals that Sir Malcolm Nolan's will evenly splits one third of the Aberdeen Navigation between his two daughters.

7. The Irregulars visited Halliday's and discover that the murdered man registered under the name of Clarence Guy.

Locations

Banks - Cox & Company Bank - A well-respected financial institution located in Charing Cross. Watson keeps all of the notes on my cases in a dispatch box in their vault.

Clarendon, Sir Francis - Sir Francis jointly owned several diamond mines in South Africa with Hiram Dearth, until Dearth's death in 1881. He recently bought out all of his former partner's shares from the widow, Bessie Dearth. Sir Francis and his wife, Gertrude have one son, Guy.

Davenport, Hiram - Davenport specializes in setting up and administering estates. Never quite made the cut to barrister.

Dearth, Bessie - Bessie Dearth is the wife of the late Hiram Dearth who made his fortune harvesting diamonds from mines in South Africa. Dearth was in partnership with Sir Francis Clarendon.

Goff, S. - Purveyor of used guns at one-third the original price. Located at 28 King-street, Covent Garden.

Hardinge, H.C. - H.C. Hardinge is a distributor of excellent Harris tweeds in the London area. He moved back here in 1886 after residing for several years on the Hebrides island of Lewis-with-Harris.

Hotels - Halliday's Private Hotel - Halliday's Private Hotel, located on Little George Street.

Ignacio's - A restaurant in the northwest sector of London which serves delectable Italian cuisine.

Ivy Plant Pub - Located in Westminster, around the corner from Godolphin Street.

Kilgore, Claude - Kilgore served three years in Pentonville Prison for illegal gambling. Was cell mates with James Ryder's friend, Mausley.

Leeds, Sir Sanford - Sir Sanford Leeds is an avid croquet player. He is married to the daughter of the Duke of York.

Lewin, Bradford - Bradford Lewin was educated at Oxford University and now advises the Queen on foreign affairs.

Locke, Gerald - A clerk at Finsterwald's Florist and the suitor of Frances Nolan.

Nolan, Frances - Younger sister of Loretta Nolan (see Loretta Nolan).

Nolan, Loretta - Frances and Loretta Nolan are the only surviving heirs of Sir Malcolm Nolan, founder of Aberdeen Navigation. On November 18, 1868 their parents were killed when a bomb was hurled into their carriage. Miraculously, Loretta Nolan, aged 4, was uninjured.

Oldwine, Cornelius - Born into a class of idle aristocrats, Cornelius inherited a huge sum at the passing of his mother, Dame Crabtree, daughter of the late Lord Crabtree.

Richmond, Otis - Otis Richmond is a self-made millionaire. His entire fortune comes from his railroad company holdings. He's retired and, these days, spends most of his time playing cribbage and throwing lavish parties.

Robarts, Wilfred - A noted London barrister. He tends to win more of his cases through courtroom theatrics rather than hard presentation of the facts.

Shipping - Aberdeen Navigation - the late Sir Malcolm Nolan founded the Aberdeen Navigation Company.

Trevelyan, Dr. Percy - Dr. Trevelyan was a practising physician at the Mesmer-Braid Institute from 1878 to 1886 where he specialized in treating neurosis through hypnosis. He currently conducts a private practice close to his home on Brooke Street.

Time to vote!

It's too early to call for an end to the case. To end the case we need to find out who killed Guy Clarendon!

Voting will end Saturday, 16th May at 2200 GMT.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Dr. Percy Trevelyan was the last person to see Frances Nolan before the murder (not counting the maid who brought Frances her cocoa). He may have some insight into Frances' state of mind that evening.

Frances said the police told her the gun was hers. We should ask Lestrade how he knows that.

H.R. Murray might be able to tell us more about the murder weapon.

Visit the Aberdeen Shipping Company to see how the Nolan sisters' inheritance is doing.

Interview Gerald Locke to find out what "terrible things" he told Frances about Guy Clarendon.

Send an Irregular to the Raven and Rat Inn. It was probably Clarendon's gambling debts that earned him the bruises the butler described. Porky might know who Clarendon owed the debt to.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As the poet Demarco once said, "Money money money money. Money, money, money." I think we're sensing a theme.

What do we know:

1) What we have right now is a lot of anecdotal evidence that aren't yet corroborated. We'll have to do a lot of alibi checking if we want to be absolutely sure.
2) What seems to be consistent, is that Guy was a gambler, and burned through money quickly.
3) This seems to be reflected in Loretta as well, in the sense that Loretta has burnt through her inheritance.
4) Francis had enough money to be widely enough known she had money.

Where to send Holmes and Watson:

1) For due diligence, let's check with Otis Richmond and see what the Terrible Two were up to at the party.
2) Dr. Percy Trevelyan is indeed a person we should talk to, as he might have insight to the Nolans.
3) Francis mentioned a memory blackout during a visit to Hiram Davenport, let's see if Hiram noticed anything.

I have no assignment for the Irregulars.

Now, I am not voting against Python's choices, but I do want to point out two things:
1) I doubt Aberdeen has any control or influence over how the Nolan sisters spent their inheritance.
2) I doubt very much that Locke, the man seen in the case introduction video, has much more of substance to add except more anecdotes.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I propose a compromise!

- Dr. Percy Trevelyan, for his insight into Loretta's treatment and Frances' state of mind on the night of the murder.
- Inspector Lestrade, to learn more about the murder weapon.
- H.R. Murray, to learn even more about the murder weapon.
- Otis Richmond, to hear about Loretta and Guy's infamous exploits.
- Hiram Davenport, to question him about Frances' blackout.

Send Irregulars to Raven and Rat to inquire about Guy's gambling debts.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quiet Python posted:

I propose a compromise!

- Dr. Percy Trevelyan, for his insight into Loretta's treatment and Frances' state of mind on the night of the murder.
- Inspector Lestrade, to learn more about the murder weapon.
- H.R. Murray, to learn even more about the murder weapon.
- Otis Richmond, to hear about Loretta and Guy's infamous exploits.
- Hiram Davenport, to question him about Frances' blackout.

Send Irregulars to Raven and Rat to inquire about Guy's gambling debts.

I'll agree with this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The additional memory losses seem like something too intriguing to ignore, follow up on that with Dr. Percy Trevelyan and Hiram Davenport. Would love to talk to the maid she mentioned but I don't see an option for that, unless the Frances Nolan option goes to somewhere other than the Old Bailey?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The additional memory losses seem like something too intriguing to ignore, follow up on that with Dr. Percy Trevelyan and Hiram Davenport. Would love to talk to the maid she mentioned but I don't see an option for that, unless the Frances Nolan option goes to somewhere other than the Old Bailey?

I do believe that you speak to the maid if you visit Frances Nolan's residence. I should have put that in a side note.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I believe that these are the results:

Dr. Percy Trevelyan - 3
Hiram Davenport - 3
Inspector Lestrade - 2
H.R. Murray - 2
Otis Richmond - 2
Frances Nolan (Maid) - 1

Irregulars:

Raven & Rat Inn - 2

This will be the order in which we will visit them:

Dr. Percy Trevelyan
Hiram Davenport
Inspector Lestrade
Otis Richmond
H.R. Murray

Irregulars: Raven & Rat Inn

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - The Mystified Murderess (Update #2)

2. Edward Hall arranged an interview with Francis Nolan for the detectives. Miss Nolan can't remember where she got the pistol or how she got to the hotel. She mentions how she has blacked out twice before in the past month and even Dr. Mason was baffled.

3. The intrepid duo visited the Clarendon estate. Sir Francis had recently cut-off his son from the family wealth. As they leave, the butler mentions that Guy came home roughed up and was afraid for his life.

4. Holmes and Watson talked to Loretta Nolan at her home. Miss Nolan admits to last seeing Guy Clarendon at the Richmond's party the previous week and that her sister said she was going to talk to Guy the night of his death.

5. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson visit the columnist. Pike mentions that Loretta and Guy were not a couple and Holmes deduces that Guy was only interested in Francis for her money.

6. Holmes and Watson visited Somerset House. Their investigation reveals that Sir Malcolm Nolan's will evenly splits one third of the Aberdeen Navigation between his two daughters.

7. The Irregulars visited Halliday's and discover that the murdered man registered under the name of Clarence Guy.

8. Holmes and Watson paid a visit to Dr. Trevelyan. The doctor says that because of the childhood trauma of seeing her parent's killed, Loretta truly believes that she is a royal princess.

9. Holmes and Watson visited Hiram Davenport's residence. It appears that both Loretta and Frances had recently seen Mr. Davenport together. Hiram recalls that during their visit, he found that Miss Frances was in a strange state, mumbling to herself as she left unexpectedly.

10. Holmes and Watson visited the Inspector at Scotland Yard. Lestrade tells them he believes Frances Nolan bought the gun at S. Goff's and is guilty of the murder of Guy Clarendon.

11. The two detectives visited the home of Otis Richmond. Mr. Richmond says the burglar left no sign of having searched for other valuables and that nothing else was taken.

12. Watson paid a visit to Murray at Scotland Yard. Murray maintains that Clarendon was shot at close range.

13. The Irregulars were sent to the Raven and Rat Inn. Porky Shinwell tells them that Clarendon owed money to Kilgore in the amount of £7000 and that a fence by the name of Leach was involved.

Locations

Nolan, Frances (The meeting will be with the Maid) - Younger sister of Loretta Nolan (see Loretta Nolan).

Time to vote!

It's too early to call for an end to the case. To end the case we need to find out who killed Guy Clarendon! At this point in time, we have visited 4 out of the 6 key locations correctly.

Bonus points if you figure out who the Society Burglar is.

Voting will end Tuesday, 19th May at 2200 GMT.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Based on mystery tropes, I think Loretta has been hypnotizing her sister, which Loretta probably learned from her doctor.

That said, I don’t see how we can make that logic leap yet, so let’s go talk to Goff.

We should talk to the maid as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What we know:

1) In 2 of the accounted "blackouts" Francis has claimed, Loretta was present.
2) Guy was shot at very close range, with wine present. This indicates the suspect was friendly to Guy.
3) Guy owed £7000 to another party, which is more than the £5000 he received from his father.

Where to send Holmes and Watson:
1) We have a gun shop name, let's do some diligence and see what the vendor of S. Goff remembers of the sale.
2) Hrm, Richmond was kinda useless. Let's go to Sir Sanford Leeds, the site of the "diving into the fountain" and "pouring champagne down the lady's dress" stories. Might be more to that.
3) Porky sounds like he knows a lot about Guy and his debts, I think we need a pint and a story from the proprietor of "The Raven and Rat Inn".
4) Lestrade said Francis went straight to Guy's room, and Francis says she's never been there before. Guy did sign under a pseudonym, there might be a desk clerk at Halliday's Private Hotel who knows more, if not a crime scene.

No assignments for the Irregulars.