Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
My entire knowledge of the Whitechapel murders comes from reading From Hell and its historical notes, but based on Moore's description of Jack basically becoming a tabloid sensation, it doesn't seem too farfetched that people would latch onto the idea that he was broadening his horizons.

I guess it doesn't bug me these days since Holmes is already making it clear that he doesn't think Jack is the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If you want an inversion of this you could always play Infocom's Sherlock Holmes game (The Riddle of the Crown Jewels) where Watson is the player character. Early in the game Holmes realizes that the mystery is a deliberate attempt to lure him in and suggests that Watson lead the investigation in order to throw their unknown adversary (spoilers: it's Moriarty) off the scent.

EDIT: This basically reduced Holmes to following the player around and tossing off random lines of dialogue, like Floyd but with less personality, which was actually one of the main criticisms of the game among IF players.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 24, 2020

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I remember playing this briefly after it came out. I think I threw up my hands and stopped shortly after this because of all the fetch quests you're doing instead of actual investigation. Holmes also getting annoyed with it doesn't really help.