Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering something, and it was certainly from before my time, but I thought Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse wasn't even the original ADTRW acronym (Anime Done The Right Way, iirc), just one that effectively overwrote the original in forums discourse because SA has always been Rie-Kugumiya-level tsundere for anime.

I think you're misremembering because it was Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse in the early 2000s and SA didn't start off with an anime board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering something, and it was certainly from before my time, but I thought Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse wasn't even the original ADTRW acronym (Anime Done The Right Way, iirc), just one that effectively overwrote the original in forums discourse because SA has always been Rie-Kugumiya-level tsundere for anime.
Just Because We Made An Anime Forum, That Doesn't Mean We Like It Or Anything

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Cuntellectual posted:

There is extremely little reason to come here over Reddit's various anime discussion subreddits other than specifically preferring the forum format or the specific people here. :shrug:

r/anime and most other anime-related subreddits I've looked into tend to have a pretty unpleasant culture. For any issues ADTRW might have, the difference is night and day.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Beato Believer posted:

Another Desperate Try, Redeeming Wretchedness

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If it's such a minor thing then theres no reason to change it either. This argument cuts both ways

except one way actually does bother some people or it wouldn't have been brought up. it doesn't 'cut both ways' - one way cuts deeper - the way with rape and tentacles.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Please Notice the Anime Forum, Senpai!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Appreciating Media an Island Nation Exports

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Anime Destroys Troublesome Rectal Warts

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

AnimeLord1988’s Asuka Shrine [NO HENTAI!!!]

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yaoi Zone

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The SMELL Zone

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

I don't get why people feel the need to explain what the name used to mean, rather than what it actually means.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Anyways if we have to change it because people are really bothered by a name that’s been gone for a decade I really like the backronyms we’ve been doing and that should continue. Choose some rando acronym that still can have fun options

Tying it to a specific anime seems fail

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

esselfortium posted:

r/anime and most other anime-related subreddits I've looked into tend to have a pretty unpleasant culture. For any issues ADTRW might have, the difference is night and day.

yeah r/anime is real bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do Post Hentai Here

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not As Bad As Reddit

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If we want to attract new users I suggest naming it r/anime.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Real Extreme Dick Detectives Inside This

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Alliance Dedicated To Riajuu Wipeout

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yaoi Wowie

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Anime Drawings That Right Wrongs

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Wired

Mirage posted:

Yaoi Wowie
This one’s pretty good, lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Namtab posted:

I don't get why people feel the need to explain what the name used to mean, rather than what it actually means.

Ima be read for a sec: ADTRW means Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse.

That's what the letters stand for.

We can add on as many backronyms as we want, but that isn't changing what it means, that's disguising it. If we're deciding that Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse is too offensive then we should change it instead of equivocating about how "actually, it means something different now."

No one's gonna be fooled.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anime Dog Tails Really Wag

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Ima be read for a sec: ADTRW means Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse.

That's what the letters stand for.

We can add on as many backronyms as we want, but that isn't changing what it means, that's disguising it. If we're deciding that Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse is too offensive then we should change it instead of equivocating about how "actually, it means something different now."

No one's gonna be fooled.

quote:

ADTRW - Anime Dabblers? Tantalizing Recommendations Within!

I have eyeballs, and this is what ADTRW means now. Pretending that it means what it used to mean for the sake of getting outraged is pretty absurd.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
It stands for "Actually, Don't Try Replacing Words"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

on the flipside pretending that everyone who finds the name distasteful because of its history is pretending to be outraged is also pretty silly

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

esselfortium posted:

I'm voting for this as the new backronym

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

esselfortium posted:

This is it. This is the good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That's probably enough suggestions for now and we keep on having the same arguments so I'm going to go ahead and close this for now and we'll probably get the voting thread up once the toxx posters are free.