Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I have been using Spotify when listening to music.

However, I'm sure many people are familiar with how these services tend to pay artists like poo poo.

This makes me consider that I could possibly use other platforms, as they give the artists significantly more money..

It seems that Tidal and Napster top the list. Tidal seems interesting but it seems like the butt of the joke a lot of the time. And Napster may be the highest but I haven't heard any impressions on it.

Which streaming service would you recommend?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

use spotify or whatever but treat it like you're paying $10 a month for the most convenient piracy of all time.

buy things from artists (vinyl records are a fun hobby and a good conversation piece) and go to their shows. if you really like them, buy things at their shows. if you're really against physical things, buy digital records from artists on bandcamp or similarly direct services. and, of course, if you cannot afford to do this on a regular basis, that is okay, as we all live under a hell cloud called capitalism, and that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to listen to music

So I should just use whatever and spend $10 a month directly on the artist?

I guess that's fine, but I'd also like to "put pressure on the streaming market" by going with a service where the artist actually makes at least a penny for my listen.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Musicians should unionize.

precision posted:

Yeah, just buy a record every now and then. I'm on spotify and I know a ton of other musicians who are, from locals to big indie darlings, and it's basically really cheap advertising.

There really isn't a streaming service that pays well. The ones that pay more than Spotify also get you way less exposure, and if you set up your page correctly it's wayyyyy easier for new people to see you on Spotify than anywhere else

It would rule if someone came along and made a streaming service that pays a lot AND has the infrastructure to support that, but it's just not likely that will ever happen, for a bunch of reasons :(

How much do you and your friends get paid per month from streaming?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah, that's very much a thing.

I assume it's why most new hip hop artists tracks are as long as punk songs.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Maybe that's the answer.

We should start our own Goon ran music streaming service.

We just have to think of a name...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I just find "buy Bandcamp" to not be the best solution for the industry due to everyone streaming anyway. I wish streaming platforms would give adequate revenue to artists.