Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ukyo is still better though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Listen, I like Ukyou too, but she's just not as interesting to me as the other girls. She doesn't drive near as many plots as Akane or Shampoo, because Ukyou also wants to be a successful restaurateur. She's usually just along for the ride, where Shampoo will jump headfirst into the plot and introduce something insane and Akane is just always there, criticizing and helping and having major plotlines. Ukyou is great for her determination and practicality and gender identity issues, but she also feels like she's more doing her own thing and is more periphery to the majority of Ranma 1/2. It makes sense why she'd be someone's favorite, but I'm just not as big a fan. also her temper's just as bad as Akane's

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I remember finding Ukyo interesting early on and being disappointed when the show reduced her and most of the rest of the side cast to this faceless mob horde that would all get together and chase Ranma around town for no apparent reason while screaming a lot. She deserved better, tbh.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Honestly I think the anime nosedives in quality so badly it's depressing to think about, everyone go read the manga instead. Go read the manga. Ukyou gets Konatsu and Gambling King and Ukyou's Secret Sauce and Tsubasa, so she's not just jumping out to cause chaos at the latest disaster like I remember the anime doing her and everyone else. I mean, she still does that, but it's not as bad as the anime.

Rody One Half posted:

Read the manga instead.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

And anyways Ukyou was at her best when she was combined with Ranma and named Ryuunosuke

and then there was the time she was a ninja in inuyasha

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

dancingbears posted:

Honestly I think the anime nosedives in quality so badly it's depressing to think about, everyone go read the manga instead. Go read the manga. Ukyou gets Konatsu and Gambling King and Ukyou's Secret Sauce and Tsubasa, so she's not just jumping out to cause chaos at the latest disaster like I remember the anime doing her and everyone else. I mean, she still does that, but it's not as bad as the anime.

The thing I always remember most about the anime is that nearly every filler episode involved turning some mundane act into a martial arts style. Like, yeah, the series is built on making fun of martial arts, but you don't need to do that all the time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shinji2015 posted:

The thing I always remember most about the anime is that nearly every filler episode involved turning some mundane act into a martial arts style. Like, yeah, the series is built on making fun of martial arts, but you don't need to do that all the time.

Also there was this weird trend where you'd have more supernatrual martial arts being used and then revealed to be elaborate tricks rather than actually ki attacks.

Then in the manga Takahashi made Ranma able to summon tornados and throw hadokens lol

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dr Pepper posted:

Also there was this weird trend where you'd have more supernatrual martial arts being used and then revealed to be elaborate tricks rather than actually ki attacks.

Then in the manga Takahashi made Ranma able to summon tornados and throw hadokens lol

I don't remember this dichotomy at all. I think the Happosai just throws fireworks thing was in the anime and manga. But, I still want to do this joke now:

Anime:

"It's simple. Priest Maxi didn't want there to be a Halloween, so he decided to scare everyone away from the docks."

"Yeah. And then he used this flashlight and some cotton swabs to create the ghosts"

"Then all he needed was some sound effects created by this cup and a piece of cheese."

"And all he had to do then was create a ghost ship, by using some candles, a mirror, and two squirrels."

Manga:

*Ranma is recovering from a battle with a literal Asura when Phoenix Warriors from the Sky come to do battle. Ranma must fight for the life of Akane with Moko Takabisha and Hiryū Shōten Ha*

Also, straight up, while I never read the ending, I heard that it basically turned into Inuyasha in the last story arc.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The final arc, the Phoenix tribe, is just another dramatic Ranma arc. Those were always a thing, to a point. The Ultimate Weakness Moxibustion had a thread of it, as did the Poison Twins, but the Musk Dynasty's the most blatant example besides the Phoenix Tribe.

Speaking of Inuyasha tho, don't read her new thing. After a long run of Rinne being her return to comedy, her new thing really IS Inuyasha 2.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

With the quarantine in place I've started reading the Ranma Manga and I'm really enjoying it. The art is way better than I was expecting.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

This thread and the quarantine has me thinking about this ancient series again, so here's some thoughts about Ranma.

With the rise of trans culture, I find myself incapable of referring to Ranma with female pronouns. Ranma clearly expresses that he is always a man, no matter his body, and I gotta respect that. It's kind of surreal to me how many trans women Ranma inspired, when Ranma has always been (half) a trans man.

Ranma's hair color doesn't change in the manga. It's either black or black with highlights. Further, any time there was a color drawing, Ranma would have different hair colors. Technically, Ranma and girl Ranma have black, brown, blonde, red, blue, green, pink, and purple among his canonical hair colors.

The thread was talking earlier about Pantyhose Taro, and how much of an awful unlikeable rear end in a top hat he is, and the thing is, while I agree, that's the whole charm to this character. Pantyhose Taro is one of the only characters in the whole series who remains both a viable threat and actively hates Ranma after all of his appearances. Ryoga, Mousse, Kuno, Herb, Ryu Kumon, they all stop seeing Ranma as an enemy to be eliminated, start seeing him as someone to be respected (to a degree), after the first beating or dozen. Not so, Pantyhose Taro. Even in his very last appearance, where he has to team up with Ranma to beat a girl who turns into the ridiculously powerful goddess Asura, the second Ranma is no longer useful Pantyhose Taro tries to kill him. What an rear end in a top hat, I love him. Admittedly, most localizations having him hurling around homophobic slurs is lovely to the max, but this is a guy built so you can love to hate him. It's nice to have that one nail who refuses to be pounded flat, even among a cast of nails who refuse to be pounded flat.

Speaking of loving these awful assholes, please give the Kuno kids another consideration! I have a huge soft spot for Kodachi, almost entirely because of that time in the White Lily arc where she flat out admits to Ranma that she knows he doesn't love her, and she's going to marry and seduce him anyways (and then Ranma has to stop the shotgun wedding she's trying to host). Akane, Ukyou, and Shampoo all instinctively believe that they are the one Ranma is truly interested and invested in, Kodachi is the only girl pursuing Ranma to have the insight to not guess what Ranma is feeling. Also, I can't fault her taste in pets or names, Mr. Green Turtle the alligator and Armadillo the dog (I think he's supposed to be a pit bull) are both super cute. She's still an awful garbage hellion who poisons people for fun, but there's something there with her.

Tatewaki Kuno is less impressive, but I can't think about him without thinking about those weird moments of insight with him, too. This is a young man who held a transforming Ranma in his arms and couldn't tell what happened, and yet when Ranma goes Cat Fist and is berserk and insane, it takes only a second for Kuno to recognize both that something is wrong and exactly what to do about it, throwing his shredded bokken away to distract cat-Ranma (and then bragging about the vile sorcerer fleeing from his greatness). Where the gently caress did that come from? I feel like he does some other stuff like that a few other times, but that stands out.

I think the thing that stuck out to me the most on my last re-read (which was admittedly a while ago) was the dynamic between Ranma and Akane. I'd grown up on the anime and fanfic, where Akane is often portrayed as this jealous abusive shrew, but in the manga, Ranma is always instigating. He can't stop. Every time Akane is the least bit unfeminine, Ranma jumps in with cutting comments until Akane snaps and belts him. Every time I thought Akane was brutal for no reason, it was because Ranma kept going and going with these snipes. And he's vicious, too, targeting points he knows she's sensitive about and exploiting them until he gets a reaction. I think this is Ranma's version of flirting. With how combat-oriented his childhood and young adult life have been, he sees romance as something like combat, and so when emotional vulnerability rears its head he attacks. He and Akane get better towards the end, but still, it's only by the slimmest of margins. Ranma is just such an incredible rear end in a top hat, it's hard to imagine any of the other girls being in a relationship with him.

On a somewhat related note, I feel unsatisfied that we never got to see the ultimate conclusion of Ranma and Akane's sleeping habits. We know, thanks to Ryoga and Happosai, that Ranma will dodge attacks in his sleep, and that Akane spends most nights sleep-fighting imaginary enemies. Please imagine these two sharing a bed. Thank you.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2020

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I will never forgive Viz dropping the series after I bought every loving comic from 13 - 16 years old. How can you just stop? My OCD almost killed me. Also, Ranma female didn’t have red hair in the first few color comics? I need to dig those out because I thought he just transformed directly into the girl that died, not a female version of himself.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What do you mean they dropped it? You can buy it from them right now.

I do remember at one point they changed the format of the volumes to a smaller, more standard form though (And now they publish two in ones). Is that what you mean?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LorneReams posted:

I need to dig those out because I thought he just transformed directly into the girl that died, not a female version of himself.
Nah, otherwise everyone that took a dip in that spring would have looked the same. Considering something that happens later on in the series, the curses inflicted by the springs probably become less distinct over hundreds of years.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

dancingbears posted:

This thread and the quarantine has me thinking about this ancient series again, so here's some thoughts about Ranma.

With the rise of trans culture, I find myself incapable of referring to Ranma with female pronouns. Ranma clearly expresses that he is always a man, no matter his body, and I gotta respect that. It's kind of surreal to me how many trans women Ranma inspired, when Ranma has always been (half) a trans man.

I've thought a lot about it recently as well, and I think there are three possible ways to look at Ranma:

-Ranma identifies as male, and prefers to be male/is uncomfortable being female
-Ranma identifies as female, but is unwilling/unable to admit this to herself due to a lack of understanding of being trans and the societal/familial pressures she has to endure (which would explain the need for her to constantly proclaim how manly she is)
-Ranma identifies as non-binary/gender-fluid, but hates how little control they now have over their own body, much less the lack of control of their own life

I can't help but project my 2020 understanding of trans issues onto 1980's Ranma, so my opinion tends to fall around the third option with maybe a dash of the second; I think Ranma likes the curse even though they're unable to explain why, they get to do a lot of things they couldn't do as just a male, and if they could transform at will or had more control of their personal life, they wouldn't give two shits about it or what society thought. However, like you said, Ranma does insist they're a man at all times, so I don't fault anyone for going with the first option; I just think that Ranma protests a little too much.

Part of me really wants to see a modern reboot of the series, mostly because it was written at a time where hardly anyone had a decent understanding of trans culture (much less anyone in 1980's Japan), and going by some of the interviews Takahashi's done about Ranma, she clearly had little interest in exploring Ranma's condition beyond using it as comedy, whether that was from a lack of interest or an unwillingness to consider some of the implications. Which is weird; going beyond Ranma, there's still a ton of trans stuff packed into the series; Konatsu, Tsubasa, and Ukyo are definitely trans/non-binary, with Ukyo probably the one uncursed person in the series who would jump into the Spring of Drowned Male if given the opportunity.

Considering that Ranma cracked a lot of eggs around the world because a bunch of trans women (and maybe even trans men, I don't know!) who read it went, "Wait, how is turning into a different gender a curse? I would love it if I... ohhhhh~," I think the series is due for a proper return. The flipside is that I wouldn't trust Takahashi and/or most people within the anime industry to address the trans perspective properly or at all. Which is fine, it's a gag series that's poking fun at shonen manga, and LBGTQIA+ issues are not its focus. It'd just be a wasted opportunity.

quote:

Speaking of loving these awful assholes, please give the Kuno kids another consideration! I have a huge soft spot for Kodachi, almost entirely because of that time in the White Lily arc where she flat out admits to Ranma that she knows he doesn't love her, and she's going to marry and seduce him anyways (and then Ranma has to stop the shotgun wedding she's trying to host). Akane, Ukyou, and Shampoo all instinctively believe that they are the one Ranma is truly interested and invested in, Kodachi is the only girl pursuing Ranma to have the insight to not guess what Ranma is feeling. Also, I can't fault her taste in pets or names, Mr. Green Turtle the alligator and Armadillo the dog (I think he's supposed to be a pit bull) are both super cute. She's still an awful garbage hellion who poisons people for fun, but there's something there with her.

Tatewaki Kuno is less impressive, but I can't think about him without thinking about those weird moments of insight with him, too. This is a young man who held a transforming Ranma in his arms and couldn't tell what happened, and yet when Ranma goes Cat Fist and is berserk and insane, it takes only a second for Kuno to recognize both that something is wrong and exactly what to do about it, throwing his shredded bokken away to distract cat-Ranma (and then bragging about the vile sorcerer fleeing from his greatness). Where the gently caress did that come from? I feel like he does some other stuff like that a few other times, but that stands out.

Great point about Kodachi! I think that's overlooked because she acts like a crazy person, but she is a bit better about that than the others.

And my fan-theory about Kuno is that he's not nearly as dumb as he acts, and that he absolutely knows that male and female Ranma are the same person... and is still into them. He's either uncomfortable about pursuing male Ranma or knows that Ranma would be uncomfortable with being in a homosexual relationship (although Ranma loves to flirt with men when presenting female!), so Kuno acts like female Ranma is a separate person from male Ranma in order to pursue them. He's still an rear end in a top hat, though.

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 6, 2020

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

The flipside is that I wouldn't trust anyone in Japan to address the trans perspective properly or at all. Which is fine, it's a gag series that's poking fun at shonen manga, and LBGTQIA+ issues are not its focus. It'd just be a wasted opportunity.

Crazy thought: how about Japanese Trans people?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rody One Half posted:

What do you mean they dropped it? You can buy it from them right now.

I do remember at one point they changed the format of the volumes to a smaller, more standard form though (And now they publish two in ones). Is that what you mean?

Yeah, that's probably what they mean. I did the same thing, buying the hefty, much more expensive and higher quality volumes, and then they shrunk them around volume 21 to a like third smaller size with much crappier paper quality and less uniform cover look. It was jarring to say the least, and I didn't bother buying new volumes after that for a long time.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I started picking up what I later found out was the old format at half price books and decided to just bite the bullet and order the new two-in-one volumes online because a) I like to keep series consistent b) it wasn't going to be easy to hunt down 38 volumes of the old format and c) it worked out to cost about the same either way.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well I'm pretty sure you can't get all 38 volumes in the old printing style, only in the standard tank size.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, that was the rub, they stopped at volume 21 and switched. So having them all lined up, it's a bit...jarring. And the old volumes were like 18 bucks a pop, so like 25-30ish in today money I think

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

Crazy thought: how about Japanese Trans people?

Oh, of course! When I wrote that, I was thinking of Takahashi and/or most writers/producers within the anime industry, not Japanese people (much less Japanese trans people) as a whole; I'll edit my post, and I'm sorry for the poor phrasing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, that's probably what they mean. I did the same thing, buying the hefty, much more expensive and higher quality volumes, and then they shrunk them around volume 21 to a like third smaller size with much crappier paper quality and less uniform cover look. It was jarring to say the least, and I didn't bother buying new volumes after that for a long time.

The comic store stopped carrying it and they said it was cancelled, so I assume it was done. There was no internet then so no way to really check. Also I paid like $3-5 a volume or so.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

3-5 a VOLUME?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Same, I have the entire series but I picked up the latter half years later at a Goodwill for about $3 each.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Rody One Half posted:

3-5 a VOLUME?

Cover price was like 3.75 I think. I’ll have to check. Could be 4.95. My memory is hazy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh wait apparently Viz actually used to sell Ranma in issue form, is that what it was?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
They did sell in issue form as well, I remember seeing that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Rody One Half posted:

Oh wait apparently Viz actually used to sell Ranma in issue form, is that what it was?

Yeah, I got it once a month for multiple years before they stopped. The first three where in color.

I literally have a box full of Ranma 1/2 comics, like well over a hundred issues.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 7, 2020

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man what an odd time. Pretty sure the only Japanese title I've ever seen sold in issue form was Dengeki Pikachu.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I had a couple issues of nausicaa too, dark horse or viz. Can't remember.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was buying Mermaid Scar as well at the same time in the same format. I believe it was Viz as well.

EDIT: Found them here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Vi...c4AAOSwXjxefMcw

The cover price was $2.95 which would have been in my budget for a comic book. I was dirt poor as a kid, so I knew for sure they were not much more than that.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 8, 2020

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

Man what an odd time. Pretty sure the only Japanese title I've ever seen sold in issue form was Dengeki Pikachu.

It was a product of the times. Most places that were selling manga at the time were comic book stores, and you were trying to target the average American comic reader at the time. Trades weren't as big then as they are now, so the easiest way to sell manga to them was through single issues. Hell, the first manga I ever bought when I was a teenager was an issue of Ranma.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah they sold dragon ball and z as issues (two chapters per) before you could get your hands on the volumes. I collected back in 2000 I think it was. Only way to get the Manga at the time.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Can we all agree that Mousse sucks?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thought this was the arknights thread for a second and got mad

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SolarFire2 posted:

Can we all agree that Mousse sucks?

Who else pairs up with Shampoo? Ryoga?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like Mousse, he's cute and his gimmick is fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my favorite page of the entire manga is the one where "mumu-chan" the duck is revealed to be mousse and you get this "HEH" *lightning vfx* *smirking duck with a knife in its mouth reaction face* page and it's the loving best, I love it so much, but forget what page of what volume it was exactly

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That arc had Ranma agree to marry a duck because he thought it was Akane and that is the funniest thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Invictus posted:

my favorite page of the entire manga is the one where "mumu-chan" the duck is revealed to be mousse and you get this "HEH" *lightning vfx* *smirking duck with a knife in its mouth reaction face* page and it's the loving best, I love it so much, but forget what page of what volume it was exactly

For me it's when Mousse and Ryoga team-up togeter.

"With your sense of direction and my sense of sight, we can't lose!"