Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

people who leave a bunch of space ahead of them at a red light and then pull forward once you've stopped behind them

my girlfriend thinks its a combination of a defensive driving technique and being retarded

You should leave enough that you can see the bottom of their bumper. That way you can hit the gas as soon as you see their brake lights go off and move the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

i pull up and to the left so people can take rights behind me :)

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Commuting by car loving sucks and I praise allah everyday that my current job is a very walkable 1 mile away from home

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Charles posted:

Also these people who drive like 15 under the limit inexplicably just drive through red lights. Every. drat. time. We all could have gone through if you weren't stoned or whatever's wrong with you.

Oh that one is usually opiates.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
:munch:

*Me in traffic, listening to a book on tape*

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Traffic is why I live downtown. No traffic, no mother fuckers.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

just watch a podcast or smth jesus

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

TheAardvark posted:

also, lol @ people who can't handle unprotected left turn lights so they wait for an entire new cycle instead of pulling in to the intersection

i’m the buffoon who pulled into the intersection waiting for the left turn opportunity which never came, now that the light is red I’m trying to slowly reverse out of intersection like an idiot

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Walrus posted:

people who leave a bunch of space ahead of them at a red light and then pull forward once you've stopped behind them

my girlfriend thinks its a combination of a defensive driving technique and being retarded
Yeah, my dad made me take defensive driving courses when I was getting my license (our insurance company gave a discount if I took them) and that was one of the lessons they tried to teach me. The idea was that you had space in front of you to pull forward in case someone coming up behind you couldn't stop in time without that extra space. And yes its just as stupid as it sounds.

Also yeah following too closely in heavily congested traffic literally just contributes to more traffic. Brake lights are binary but brakes aren't. If some dude taps on his breaks and starts a chain reaction of people stepping on their brakes behind him (because they're all following too close) there's bound to be one guy brakes mega hard that the entire lane behind him comes to a stop. The ideal in heavy congestion is to go as long as possible without having to touch your brake.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 12, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Captain Beans posted:

i’m the buffoon who pulled into the intersection waiting for the left turn opportunity which never came, now that the light is red I’m trying to slowly reverse out of intersection like an idiot

Yeah I'll just keep driving imo they can suck my dick lol gently caress ur left turn

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Captain Beans posted:

just go when it's red. if you've inched out to the middle of the intersection and it turns red, just go, thats what you're supposed to do. never try to reverse out ever. there's an "all-red" light cycle as part of standard traffic design before other lights turn green that's about 1-2s and it's gunna take some time for other cars to accelerate anyways giving you another several seconds. the only time you'd be hosed is if you're trying to turn left and the lane you're turning to is backed up to the intersection, so if you turned then you'd gridlock the straight-going traffic and that's not good.

this might not apply when there's a red-light camera, but those are pretty rare and I find they're only present on larger intersections where protected left turns are present anyways.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 12, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Xaris posted:

just go when it's red. if you've inched out to the middle of the intersection and it turns red, just go, thats what you're supposed to do. never try to reverse out ever. there's an "all-red" light cycle as part of standard traffic design before other lights turn green that's about 1-2s and it's gunna take some time for other cars to accelerate anyways giving you another several seconds. the only time you'd be hosed is if you're trying to turn left and the lane you're turning to is backed up to the intersection, so if you turned then you'd gridlock the straight-going traffic and that's not good.

this might not apply when there's a red-light camera, but those are pretty rare and I find they're only present on larger intersections where protected left turns are present anyways.

this is 100% how it works and I've seen cops do it/done it in front of them, but I think it's technically illegal actually.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Xaris posted:

Try this in an area that has red light cameras like mine, $150.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

T Bowl posted:

Try this in an area that has red light cameras like mine, $150.

It's always funny seeing people with out of state license plates doing this in Philly or when they make right turns on certain reds and I'm like lmao ur owned

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

TheAardvark posted:

this is 100% how it works and I've seen cops do it/done it in front of them, but I think it's technically illegal actually.

Granted this was 20 years ago but during my driving test the instructor kept telling me to pull further out into the intersection on a left turn. I have always assumed that it was okay after that and you kind of have no choice but to turn left on red in that situation. It seems to be pretty standard practice where I live for one car to turn on red. What has to be definitely illegal is when one car turns on red and the car behind them accelerates to do the same. I see that one from time to time.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
i love to drive my F-250 king ranch edition approximately 1 inch from the liberal pussy in front of me, this will get me to my destination faster for some reason

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
If I look down and it says over 110 it means the power is too good that day and I better get over to the side streets to chillax.

I drive my Kia at maximum throttle and get smoked by all the mom cars.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ELI PORTER posted:

i love to drive my F-250 king ranch edition approximately 1 inch from the liberal pussy in front of me, this will get me to my destination faster for some reason

If you were actually this person the only thoughts in your head would be...

quote:

i love F-250

liberals!!!

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

here in houston, using a turn signal is a sign of being a liberal pussy, so you don't want to do it. traffic here gives you ample opportunity to simply drive your F-250 (king ranch edition, natch) directly into the lane you want to be in, other drivers are either liberal pussies and will let you in, or are brethren you can collide with and settle your differences with by using firearms.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
The 290 speed limit is way too slow.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it should be legal to hunt people that come to a full goddamn stop in front of an empty roundabout with a YIELD sign, particularly if they have any kind of sticker indicating they are an Uber or Lyft driver that should loving know better

yes, dipshit, i am honking at YOU, this finger is for YOU. move yo rear end.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Traffic to the mountains up i70 has become a real bitch here on the weekends, so lately I've been leaving super early for skiing and then just hanging out in the parking lot drinking coffee and reading the news until the lifts open. It beats sitting in traffic burning gas. Then I'm off the mountain by 1pm and beat the traffic back.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Do you really have a leg to stand on if you complain about traffic while you yourself are on the road? You are part of the problem, and the only way you could have affected it would have been to stay out of it, but you chose to add to the traffic. How can you be mad at others for doing the exact same thing you are doing?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

ovenboy posted:

Do you really have a leg to stand on if you complain about traffic while you yourself are on the road? You are part of the problem, and the only way you could have affected it would have been to stay out of it, but you chose to add to the traffic. How can you be mad at others for doing the exact same thing you are doing?

Yes don't work great idea!

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

Biohazard posted:

Traffic to the mountains up i70 has become a real bitch here on the weekends, so lately I've been leaving super early for skiing and then just hanging out in the parking lot drinking coffee and reading the news until the lifts open. It beats sitting in traffic burning gas. Then I'm off the mountain by 1pm and beat the traffic back.

when i lived in Boulder this is what I did, left the house by 5:30 AM, get to Winter Park for first chair, leave at 2 PM, get home to catch the evening football games

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
People that don't know how a 4 way stop works, or that can't negotiate an intersection where two directions have a blinking yellow and two have a blinking red. YELLOW DOESN'T MEAN STOP ASSHOLES!

T Bowl posted:

I saw this in traffic the other day

We got one of those in Annapolis. I've seen him a few times. It's abortion themed though. Lots of dead fetuses (fetii?) plastered all over the sides. Dude driving looks exactly as crazy as you'd imagine.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

TheAardvark posted:

This is very illegal in Washington State but the principal of not blocking the intersection trumps not running the red in my book.

I find it infuriating when there’s an extra 1000 feet of lane after the on-ramp and yet everyone screeches to a halt to zipper immediately after the gore. That 1000 feet was out there to allow plenty of time to find an opening during a jam but everyone always merges early leading to a huge bottleneck that is much worse than of everyone merges later.

There’s also the 10% of the population that doesn’t recognize the “lane joins” sign so there come to a stop and wait to turn right into their dedicated lane.

Don’t get me started on all the jerks who come to a complete stop at the yield signs in front of a roundabout even if it’s empty. Or the other jerks who don’t know how to signal at a roundabout.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I leave space between the car in front of me in congestion , in particular on the highway. I invite you, as I've invited others , to voice your concerns to me in person on the shoulder if it bothers you.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sex Skeleton posted:

This is very illegal in Washington State but the principal of not blocking the intersection trumps not running the red in my book.

What I don't understand is how this principal is supposed to work on certain unprotected lefts, where it can be 20+ minutes at rush hour before you have an all-green opportunity to go from behind the cross-walk all the way through your turn. Everyone just pulls out in to it during the green, since you can at least get 1 person through per cycle. But the word of the law is that you can't pass the line until you can complete the entire turn.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
driving sucks rear end period people will always be dumb as gently caress at driving. one of the main reasons, besides people generally being stupid, self-centered, and oblivious as gently caress, is that everyone feels the king of their own domain in a car and dehumanize other people while driving. it will never get better, only worse, as more people drive. it is a giant negative force on humanity. it kills a shitload people a year, it pollutes the environment. not to mention it is just a horribly inefficient way of getting people around for routine tasks. this isn't even getting into the absolute blight on cities that is parking.

trains bitch

leave cars/trucks/rvs/whatever for mostly special uses, like towing poo poo for a vacation, road trips, or hauling poo poo to your house / job site / whatever. or commuting for areas with no good public transportation / rural areas. or freight. not for practically every single possible use of going from point a to b, like driving one mile to go buy some fruit or some poo poo.

that said, this will likely never happen in this dumb loving country so, i'll see you guys on the freeway

Damo fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 13, 2020

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
9.9 mile commute takes 45min in the morning and over an hour in the evening. Audible is a godsend for that poo poo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

matrocious posted:

9.9 mile commute takes 45min in the morning and over an hour in the evening. Audible is a godsend for that poo poo.

lucky you

My last company shifted my office a few towns over and put me in a nice 4th floor suite overlooking a yacht club/Bay

I went there twice, took a LOA and never returned because lol haha moving it those few miles added almost a second work week of driving. Every week.

Sadly, that office was literally a dream come true and I'm still trying to figure out what it means that I had it and other than smoking a fat blunt and eating lunch in it, didn't even work out of it once nor desire to.

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 13, 2020

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
25 minute morning commute. 15 mins of that is traffic. About 35 minutes in the evening with 30 minutes traffic. If I don't go to the gym after work its more like a full hour commute. California.

Also, If you are going under 75 in the fast lane gently caress you.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

T Bowl posted:

Yes don't work great idea!

Did I say that you shouldn't work?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ovenboy posted:

Did I say that you shouldn't work?

Well this dick isn't going to telecommute itself into my mouth.

This is a 24/7 365 day year factory here

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Damo posted:

trains bitch

:hai:

I'm regretting my decision to buy a car rather than move to a city with public transit more and more with every year.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

olives black posted:

I'm regretting my decision to buy a car rather than move to a city with public transit more and more with every year.

it's not that simple

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Mine is 37 miles and take 75 minutes on average in the morning and 95 minutes in the evening.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

TheAardvark posted:

What I don't understand is how this principal is supposed to work on certain unprotected lefts, where it can be 20+ minutes at rush hour before you have an all-green opportunity to go from behind the cross-walk all the way through your turn. Everyone just pulls out in to it during the green, since you can at least get 1 person through per cycle. But the word of the law is that you can't pass the line until you can complete the entire turn.

:shrug:

I think it was written with a simpler scenario in mind, back in the halcyon days before multi-lane roads when the gas was leaded and we considered exhaust fumes to be good for our rheums.

olives black posted:

Cars are terrible and driving is a huge regressive tax on the poor. Thankfully all the olds who think of cars as a status symbol are finally dying so that we can have a sane transportation policy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Statutory Ape posted:

it's not that simple

Yeah I wish it was for me but housing is like 30-40% more close to my work. If I worked in the field I'm in near my home I'd make 20-30% less.

So drive it is, the train costs about $125 more a month as well.