Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

T Bowl posted:

Mine is 37 miles and take 75 minutes on average in the morning and 95 minutes in the evening.

yikes. what city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Statutory Ape posted:

it's not that simple

Kinda is for me. I'm single, childless and have no love for the exurbs (outside of the plethora of clean making GBS threads options). I really should have gotten my poo poo together and moved.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Chinatown posted:

yikes. what city?

Baltimore to DC and back.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite thing about driving is when the person behind me uses their high beams as their default setting

Then when I glance into my rear view mirror I risk being blinded

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Several people have misread my initial post also, I am not saying to tailgate people at high rates of speed like some fuckwad. I hate that too and usually slow down to piss them off if they do that and there is no reason for it.

I specifically meant when you are at a stop in some serious traffic where people need to fit in, not pulling forward is really dumb. I regularly see 3-4 cars in a row leaving 1-2 car spaces where other cars could have fit in if people just pulled up. It's like the rear end in a top hat who parallel parks with half a car length in front of them to the next car.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

if a guy at the opposite end of a 4way goes straight do you go too

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I wish more places would allow and encourage telecommuting. Not everything can be done remotely of course but enough that it would cut down on traffic, and those that must go in would have have less traffic to fight.

My present job is really good about that, they let people work remote whenever they want, where my last job my boss thought working remote meant you were somehow stealing from the company.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

sudonim posted:

I wish more places would allow and encourage telecommuting. Not everything can be done remotely of course but enough that it would cut down on traffic, and those that must go in would have have less traffic to fight.

My present job is really good about that, they let people work remote whenever they want, where my last job my boss thought working remote meant you were somehow stealing from the company.

i have trouble staying productive when i work remotely

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I brake check tailgaters. :twisted:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Seizon posted:

i never trust turn signals or lack there-of if there's a chance i'll get hit

too many stupid mother fuckers turning them on 6 turns behind the one they actually want, or not turning them on at all

edit: I didn't obey this rule the other day when there were two cars back to back with right turn signals on, and I was trying to pull out in front of them. First guy was turning at my road, second guy went around the first guy to the left and floored it :waycool:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

did anyone say road diet yet

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Seizon posted:

Absolutely and gun it so you can get across before they have a chance to turn left. Also, a driver can jump in line in the stop sign rotation if another driver commits to a move that will block the person who would otherwise be next.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Seizon posted:

yeah, all the time. i think it's weirder when people don't. i've got places to be and i want to keep that poo poo moving for everyone behind you too; stop-signs can have a lot of traffic at them and it's not very efficient. most people here are generally decent at using turn-signals when there's people around at a stop-sign and stuff, but you can also generally read intent by how they're orienting their wheels or car. i purposely hold my car more towards the right when going straight just to let people instinctively know i'm not going left and it helps people get the courage to go straight too.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 13, 2020

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Chinatown posted:

I slow down to the speed limit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Woodpile posted:

I slow down to the speed limit.

Yeah I will also sometimes just coast and slow down and see how long it takes for them to go around me. :D

Its a good troll.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Chinatown posted:

i did that too, in my youth. i'm lucky to have not been shot for that maneuver. now, i just coast and flash them the :rock: when they glare at me as they pass.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I sure do hate it when people drive cars and also exist in general.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I sure do hate it when people drive cars and also exist in general.

get the gently caress outta my way!!!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

olives black posted:

Kinda is for me. I'm single, childless and have no love for the exurbs (outside of the plethora of clean making GBS threads options). I really should have gotten my poo poo together and moved.

It actually still isn’t

So I’ve lived in or around boston my entire life and travel a lot for work within the US to major cities.

The existence of public transportation doesn’t automatically make life easier for you or even make sense economically. Boston, NYC, and SF all have, by USA standards, great public transit. They’re also 3 of the most expensive COL.

Eh, tbh, i was going to effort post more about the politics and budget and history and whatnot but tbh, if you actually look into the realities of it, its not that simple- and its not necessarily about you.

Lol my call of duty match loaded so o well

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Statutory Ape posted:

Lol my call of duty match loaded so o well

Now this is good posting.

Take notes, everyone.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

T Bowl posted:

condolences on the Ravens getting pwnd by Derrick Henry and Co.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinatown posted:

get the gently caress outta my way!!!

Lifted hot pink truck with flame decals coal rolling blasting the Venga Boys We Like to Party brazenly tooting my La Cucaracha horn at the back of your vehicle screaming out the window "OH MY GOD HURRY IM GONNA poo poo MY PANTS I GOTTA DOODOO SO FREAKING BAD"

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
My commute is 30 miles. It generally takes an hour. The last 5 miles takes longer than the first 25. The sad part is they did massive freeway expansion about 5 years ago, in the region of the last 5 miles. Didn't help all that much. Now they are adding a truck lane to another part of the commute. That might help a bit, once they start opening all the Amazon and other Distribution Centers in our area. (They have something like 15 planned along my commute route.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Genesplicer posted:

My commute is 30 miles. It generally takes an hour. The last 5 miles takes longer than the first 25. The sad part is they did massive freeway expansion about 5 years ago, in the region of the last 5 miles. Didn't help all that much. Now they are adding a truck lane to another part of the commute. That might help a bit, once they start opening all the Amazon and other Distribution Centers in our area. (They have something like 15 planned along my commute route.)

i left the city and moved to one of the few areas you could develop these things and still be near good highways/boston around here and these things are kind of a cancer for the towns. new england is a shamefully laid out poo poo show on a good day but the small towns that happen to be on the highways are undriveable now

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Lifted hot pink truck with flame decals coal rolling blasting the Venga Boys We Like to Party brazenly tooting my La Cucaracha horn at the back of your vehicle screaming out the window "OH MY GOD HURRY IM GONNA poo poo MY PANTS I GOTTA DOODOO SO FREAKING BAD"

i adore your new Av

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Chinatown posted:

condolences on the Ravens getting pwnd by Derrick Henry and Co.

I'm not from here so gently caress em imo.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Seizon posted:

Brent having a crisis of sexuality mid-session isn't going to change me.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
gently caress North Carolina drivers, go back to your state.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
At least you can drive around Florida drivers.

NC people fluctuate between 25 and 85 MPH and make it so you can't pass them.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruffini posted:

At least you can drive around Florida drivers.

NC people fluctuate between 25 and 85 MPH and make it so you can't pass them.

literally everyone fluctuates between 25 and 85 MPH.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
everyone in Colorado drives super slow. its hilarious.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
That's due to the altitude
Everyone is high
Less horsepower

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Genesplicer posted:

More lanes just makes more people drive.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chinatown posted:

Colorado was the nicest place I have ever been a pedestrian. I waved a guy along, because I had nothing to do, and he still waited until I crossed

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chinatown posted:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, my dad made me take defensive driving courses when I was getting my license (our insurance company gave a discount if I took them) and that was one of the lessons they tried to teach me. The idea was that you had space in front of you to pull forward in case someone coming up behind you couldn't stop in time without that extra space. And yes its just as stupid as it sounds.

It makes sense as a defensive driving maneuver, for what you said as well as so you're not liable / victim of insurance fraud when a beater rear ends you and pushes you into the audi in front of you. when it gets stupid is when the people wait until you're stopped all the way and then pull forward to fill in the gap they left.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

in the middle of the mountains in colorado on their major interstate some hay bales fell off a truck and they closed a lane of the highway at the incident. but for some reason rather than merge lanes there, people were doing it literally like 5 km out, we just took the empty lane until some dude blocked us angrily, but gently caress me I was not waiting for a bunch of mountain yokels that don't understand merging. I still had to wait, it was 45 minutes of idiocy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

T Bowl posted:

isnt that a very popular train route why not do that?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Walrus posted:

people who leave a bunch of space ahead of them at a red light and then pull forward once you've stopped behind them

my girlfriend thinks its a combination of a defensive driving technique and being retarded

I assume from your av that you’re Canadian and this is literally what they teach you in young drivers, the biggest driving school chain in Ontario. You stay two car lengths away from the line when there’s no one behind you, move up one car length when someone comes up behind you, and move up another when someone is behind them. It’s very dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

in the middle of the mountains in colorado on their major interstate some hay bales fell off a truck and they closed a lane of the highway at the incident. but for some reason rather than merge lanes there, people were doing it literally like 5 km out, we just took the empty lane until some dude blocked us angrily, but gently caress me I was not waiting for a bunch of mountain yokels that don't understand merging. I still had to wait, it was 45 minutes of idiocy.

no one outside of the Eastern seaboard understands zipper merging