Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
How serious are people about bingo?

The Northern manager got mad at us for buying too much milk once. Do you have to plan out orders on a kind of ration basis?

Guessing you're on the Arctic Nunavik coast, are you in a dry town? What do you think about dry towns?

Someone allegedly flew in a Cessna packed to the gills with a three year drug supply for the town and stashed it in a junkyard, any weird local lore like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Decoy Badger posted:

How serious are people about bingo?

The Northern manager got mad at us for buying too much milk once. Do you have to plan out orders on a kind of ration basis?

Guessing you're on the Arctic Nunavik coast, are you in a dry town? What do you think about dry towns?

Someone allegedly flew in a Cessna packed to the gills with a three year drug supply for the town and stashed it in a junkyard, any weird local lore like that?

Since it's a split community, both radio stations here have their own bingo throughout the week except one day. Prizes are ski-doos, apple watches, and stuff like that. Last week, jackpot was $50,000.

I'm on hot foods side, so I order enough product to last two weeks to a month since flight delays can push back deliveries for up to three weeks at a time. And you don't want to be the only store in town and run out of product. Especially one the community comes to rely on.

My community isn't dry. There are two separate bars and people regularly order through SAQ and some other source (though I've heard it whispered and never talked about but apparently has a near 24 hour delivery time so I suspect its a bootlegger or something along those lines). I don't drink so that only thing I think when I think of dry communities is that they're only creating a black market. I eat edibles and it seems to be widely accepted up here.

I haven't heard any cool local lore like that. Not yet anyways.

Though I did witness my first experience of dropping my kid off at daycare to see a caribou skin freshly flayed outside the front doors and the chopped up parts of raw caribou in the drop off room. I've seen raw meat before but I've never seen people cut fat off the skull and eat it raw. Or eat the eyeball. My son was served raw caribou for lunch yesterday. It's an experience.

My wife has been super ill the last week and spent the day at a nurse's office and they weren't much help. Called it 'gastro' meanwhile everyone at home and work haven't been sick but my wife hasn't eaten or held water down for three days. Sent her home with gravol. I'm starting to see some of the downfalls of not living in the South.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
How are you getting your edibles? I know in Ontario you can buy online from the provincial government run website but I'm not sure about Quebec/fly-ins in Quebec.

Also, you say you are saving for a house but if you are used to a southern diet, wouldn't you break even or even lose money with the grocery bill?

Also good call on playing through the Yakuza series on PS4.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Pegnose Pete posted:

How are you getting your edibles? I know in Ontario you can buy online from the provincial government run website but I'm not sure about Quebec/fly-ins in Quebec.

Also, you say you are saving for a house but if you are used to a southern diet, wouldn't you break even or even lose money with the grocery bill?

Also good call on playing through the Yakuza series on PS4.

Online from a BC company. Grey market, sure, but Canada Post laws make it pretty safe. They refuse to do refunds if package gets stolen because postal theft is VERY common up here.

Regarding the southern diet- our food allowance is over $1200 a month and we usually spend an extra hundred or two a month beyond that to eat well. We just can’t buy cheese or any ‘unnecessary’ food since it’s not covered by Nutrition North subsidies. I’ve lost 20lbs since I’ve been here, my wife has lost 15lbs. My son gained weight.

The only expense I never considered was the internet. I’m currently talking to the guy who controls the internet here. In order to get a modem, I have to pay off someone’s bill that caused their house to lose internet. Somewhere around $700 to get the modem. They ran out of modems up here.

I just finished Kiwami 2 and the Yakuza 3 remaster is super weird after the perfect polish of 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, and Yakuza 6.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

virinvictus posted:

The only expense I never considered was the internet. I’m currently talking to the guy who controls the internet here. In order to get a modem, I have to pay off someone’s bill that caused their house to lose internet. Somewhere around $700 to get the modem. They ran out of modems up here.

The last person to live in your house didn't bother to pay their internet so you're stuck with it now? How the gently caress does that work?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

The last person to live in your house didn't bother to pay their internet so you're stuck with it now? How the gently caress does that work?

Not in my house. In the community. Since modems are so hard to get, they have this kind of leverage. If you want the internet so bad, you’ll pay it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Good thread idea this is fascinating. That was smart to download games before arriving.

I read about how in reserves in Alaska, there are horrible problems with total absence of law enforcement due to staffing issues and state indifference. In your experience are the cops ok?

For the bingo with huge prizes can anyone walk in and play or is that limited to tribal members?

I was going to ask if people load up trucks at the nearest Costco and operate a store reselling the products, but as you said it's a fly in community that probably wouldn't work.

That's interesting about the terrible internet, does someone still operate a store that rents DVDs?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Good thread idea this is fascinating. That was smart to download games before arriving.

I read about how in reserves in Alaska, there are horrible problems with total absence of law enforcement due to staffing issues and state indifference. In your experience are the cops ok?

Cops here are mostly southerners. Communities further north usually have RCMP presence, but here we have two separate police forces. Some locals work the beat, but it’s mostly outsiders.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For the bingo with huge prizes can anyone walk in and play or is that limited to tribal members?

Bingo is played on the radio on both sides of the community, one in Cree and one in Inuktikut. I know a few southerners play it, usually with a local.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was going to ask if people load up trucks at the nearest Costco and operate a store reselling the products, but as you said it's a fly in community that probably wouldn't work.

That's interesting about the terrible internet, does someone still operate a store that rents DVDs?

The Northern store sells DVDs but most people just go through Amazon and whoever gives free shipping.

Edit: most people either buy from the co-op or the Northern since they sell almost everything from groceries to clothes to furniture to skidoo’s and computers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

virinvictus posted:

Not in my house. In the community. Since modems are so hard to get, they have this kind of leverage. If you want the internet so bad, you’ll pay it.

How much would it cost to have someone ship you like, a $50 modem from down south instead?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

How much would it cost to have someone ship you like, a $50 modem from down south instead?

I don’t think that’s the issue. I know the net here is mostly satellite or something. Not wires around here. Might be using the wrong word. I’m a food service guy with no tech background lol

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If it's not too personal to pry, OP, what does your average deli dude working for a supermarket make up there, that you can afford such exorbitant food prices?

For example, I used to work for a hot foods/deli section at a grocery, and made $10/hr (which, compared to our minimum wage of $7.25, felt like big bucks). The idea of spending $70, an entire day's pay, on one meal at KFC is just mind-boggling.

Also, this might be a stupid question: you said no outside roads, everything is fly-in.... do people have cars up there, or just get around via snowmobile, or saddling up a caribou or something?

What's healthcare like? Say, gods forbid something major happened to you or your family, I'm guessing you'd have to get helicoptered out to a hospital? How far away would that be?

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing! I grew up in the Snow Belt of upstate NY, so I've seen my share of blizzards where the state troopers are on the news calling for anyone with a snowmobile to report to nearest PD/FD to help doctors/EMTs/etc get to the hospitals, but it's no Arctic Circle.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If it's not too personal to pry, OP, what does your average deli dude working for a supermarket make up there, that you can afford such exorbitant food prices?

For example, I used to work for a hot foods/deli section at a grocery, and made $10/hr (which, compared to our minimum wage of $7.25, felt like big bucks). The idea of spending $70, an entire day's pay, on one meal at KFC is just mind-boggling.

Also, this might be a stupid question: you said no outside roads, everything is fly-in.... do people have cars up there, or just get around via snowmobile, or saddling up a caribou or something?

What's healthcare like? Say, gods forbid something major happened to you or your family, I'm guessing you'd have to get helicoptered out to a hospital? How far away would that be?

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing! I grew up in the Snow Belt of upstate NY, so I've seen my share of blizzards where the state troopers are on the news calling for anyone with a snowmobile to report to nearest PD/FD to help doctors/EMTs/etc get to the hospitals, but it's no Arctic Circle.

Most locals work for $16-18 an hour, depending on experience. But they’re not really paying much in rent. One of my staff said she’s paying $100-150 a month in rent and didn’t understand why I blinked so much at that. Her face when I said my place down south ran me about $1800 was priceless.

We do get a sealift which can bring vehicles. Most people use skidoo’s and ATVs for vehicles, though a lot of F150s and SUVs. Boat only comes once a year and it drops off a years supply of dry goods usually.

Health care is lax. My wife has severe food poisoning that lasted over a week and fainted twice at work and the doctor claimed it was gastro. Even though me and my son were completely fine and healthy. It’s just nurses out here. No doctors.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for answering!

My healthcare question, though, was more like... if someone has a heart attack, or develops appendicitis, or gets in a bad vehicular accident --- "you need to get to a hospital" stuff --- how do you deal with that? Just tough it out with a nurse and hope you don't die? :(

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Thanks for answering!

My healthcare question, though, was more like... if someone has a heart attack, or develops appendicitis, or gets in a bad vehicular accident --- "you need to get to a hospital" stuff --- how do you deal with that? Just tough it out with a nurse and hope you don't die? :(

Medical helicopter or flight as I understand it.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What do you think of the ban on Indigenous harvest of the George River & Leaf River caribou herds?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Don’t know about that at all, my community has still been hunting caribou.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How's the COVID poo poo impacting you guys?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
All daycares and schools are closed. People are staying indoors. Stores have people limits and service limitations and stock control. Internet is 10x worse than usual.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Do you actually have any cases anywhere close? I'd imagine that would be one of the few places that actually is far away enough with irregular travel you might get an outbreak till after the vaccine is developed.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

coronavirus posted:

Do you actually have any cases anywhere close? I'd imagine that would be one of the few places that actually is far away enough with irregular travel you might get an outbreak till after the vaccine is developed.

We still see flights from Montreal every single day. So there’s reason for concern.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Thanks for answering!

I'm an RN in Ontario. I've worked in the far north, in places like Attawapiskat, Moose Factory, etc.. These are fly-in communities many hundreds of km north of what you'd consider a "normal" Canadian city. Depending which community, you may have an MD permanently present. You likely don't, so it is exclusively nurses. But you may also have a nurse practitioner. RNs have expanded scope of practice and can prescribe etc., and we will take instruction from the MD to do additional stuff if there is no time to evac the person or if weather is grounding evac. In some cases we'll send people by boat from Attawapiskat to Moose Factory, which can take hours.

But yeah, for the most part it's "the nurse talks to the MD and you hang out with nurses and hope you don't die." These areas are also desperate for staff and so even brand new RNs might be working there. You may have nothing but new RNs handling a code (someone dying) all by themselves. It is as hosed up as it sounds and people genuinely do die needlessly because Canada/Ontario aren't interested in properly staffing these areas. Fortunately Canadians are super racist against First Nation/Metis folks so the broader Canadian public if anything thinks we're doing too much to help these people.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I grew up in Timmins, so I had first hand experience the hatred a lot of white folk have for Attawapiskat / Fort Albany / Moose Factory / Kasechewan. It’s definitely something else.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Moose Factory is a pretty kickass name imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Its etymology is interesting too. It's the oldest settlement in Ontario. It was established by the Hudson Bay Company as a trade depot for its representative to use to trade with voyageurs (French trappers/explorers) and local First Nations people. It's situated at the mouth of the Moose River, and the HBC trade rep. was referred to as a "factor". Thus, it was the factor's place of business on the Moose River. Ergo, Moose Factory.