Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've never been to one of the really big LAN parties. I think the biggest I was ever at was in a church (it wasn't a church event, they'd just rented out the auditorium there or something) and it was like 20-25 people.

I used to do house LAN parties all the time with my friends in high school and college, but between getting older and finding it more difficult to get schedules to align, our tastes in video games diverging, and everyone having broadband so no need for LANs for low-latency gaming or file sharing*, there just isn't the motivation to bother with setting one up.

*seriously, I had dial-up until 2004, I remember furtively waiting for most people to go to bed and then queueing up a shitload of downloads in DC++ to download overnight, as well as file transfers to/from other people's computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

There's a lot of super sad stuff in that post, not even sure where to start.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
it is a museum of sadness

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
I haven't yet managed to attend a properly huge LAN party, but I do have good memories of some tens of friends dragging our computers to a company board room on the weekend or to a hall and then playing games against each other for hours.

A DHCP server was a huge improvement. One LAN I brought a DHCP server to, plugged it in, and magically people could automatically get IP addresses in the same subnet and see each other. Remarkable stuff! Saved hours and hours of hassle. Otherwise as people would arrive they would get a somewhat random address, others would manually specify it, and the whole thing was just a disaster.

That group has now largely dispersed: families, moving to other towns for work, getting partners, at least one person went away to jail.

But for a brief moment it was legendary.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

big rear end lans are fun op and nowadays know to full blast the AC. just make sure you bring an air mattress and inflate it before people start sleeping :-)

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lmfao that post about bringing a DHCP server to LANs(lmao why would you do that) brings back a ton of memories of there always being one guy having troubles cracking a game, seeing file shares, and other troubles. The one having problems always was loud as gently caress about it and nobody would care because they’re busy gaming. Solve your own issues rear end in a top hat

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tetramin posted:

Lmfao that post about bringing a DHCP server to LANs(lmao why would you do that) brings back a ton of memories of there always being one guy having troubles cracking a game, seeing file shares, and other troubles. The one having problems always was loud as gently caress about it and nobody would care because they’re busy gaming. Solve your own issues rear end in a top hat

It's been a long time since I did a LAN on all 169.254.. addresses but I seem to recall that my friends and I did tend to have substantially more connectivity issues in that scenario than when we had a router or other device that handed out actual DHCP leases.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol I thought I was old but I never had a router that didn’t hand out DHCP addresses, Grampa

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tetramin posted:

Lol I thought I was old but I never had a router that didn’t hand out DHCP addresses, Grampa

We occasionally had LAN parties at places where there wasn't broadband - I didn't get DSL until 2004 - but I do also remember LAN parties where we'd have like one or two computers able to get on the internet because there wasn't a router there at all - it was just going straight from the modem into the hub and the ISP would only assign one* IP address. This would have been around 2002, I think.

I also remember one LAN where the host had cable internet and we could see printers and poo poo hooked up in other houses in the neighborhood. Early broadband networking was a bit of a shitshow.

*I want to say there was at least one or two LANs where the ISP actually handed out up to two IP addresses, but I could be misremembering.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Tetramin posted:

Well here's the thing, YOUNG PERSON, back in my day when we had a LAN it was a Local Area Network and we didn't need a router because we weren't connecting to the Internet. Plus, what will 50 people be able to do with a single 33.6K connection over PPP?

As a result people would either have to manually configure networking (a lot of swearing, a lot of running, a lot of complaining) but some guy wouldn't be able to see someone else or only half the party could see the server they created.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You noobs never setup an old pentium100 with debian to run dhcp and ip tables to control internet access for a lan? Lame.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tetramin posted:

also, another type of That Guy was the dude running either NT4, Windows 2000, or Vista 64bit (depending on year.)

Not that I was much better, being a Mac guy who could only participate in Quake 3, Starcraft, UT2K4, and BF1942.
Even poo poo like Age Of Empires didn't have cross-platform multiplayer.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I just remembered my first major Razer-precursor motherboard, and how DFI just vanished overnight from the mobo market because the entire lanparty team walked

Why, yes, my northbridge DOES have a 45w TDP

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I remember writing a QBasic program to create a text file to list out 400 sequential port numbers, to put into my old router's .txt file, because it wouldn't accept port ranges in the GUI firewall setup.

I also remember a time before cheap switches when the guy with the 100MB LAN card couldn't plug in to the 10MB hub everyone else was using.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I went to a lan party with my friends around 2000, there were six of us, it owned, we played Starcraft and Quake 3, and I badgered them into playing Aliens Vs. Predator which also owned.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I used to do LAN parties with a few of my good friends back in middle/high school. Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, and Starcraft UMS stuff were the best times. The gathering devolved into us being idiots in Super Smash Bros once we got tired enough more often than not.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
As I recall the point of going to the huge LAN parties was because they had the only high-speed internet connection in the country so that you could
1) download all the :filez:
and
2) share those :filez: with everyone else on the LAN thru DC++

This is now obsolete.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mooey Cow posted:

As I recall the point of going to the huge LAN parties was because they had the only high-speed internet connection in the country so that you could
Nah, it's fun to spend time with your buds and other people into the same hobbies you are.

I may have aged out of the big LAN demographic personally, but I enjoyed it when I was 14-18.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’ve been to a couple big lans. Here’s my advice

Someone’s Windows will for seemingly no reason just become corrupt and they’ll have to do a clean install. It will be one of the people who fail to bring some kind of windows installation media.

I was that person. Multiple times.

BRING A WINDOWS INSTALLATION DISK

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

~Coxy posted:

also, another type of That Guy was the dude running either NT4, Windows 2000, or Vista 64bit (depending on year.)

Not that I was much better, being a Mac guy who could only participate in Quake 3, Starcraft, UT2K4, and BF1942.

I was that Windows 2000 guy for a while. Think I ran it until like 2004 lmao.

And at one party I went to a lot we had the one Mac guy with a G5 Pro. He'd leave the case open and tossed a cold cathode light in it.

Mooey Cow posted:

1) download all the :filez:
and
2) share those :filez: with everyone else on the LAN thru DC++

This is now obsolete.

There was this one guy who'd bring his entire fileserver with him to most parties, it may have been multi-terabyte and this was in the early 2000s. I recall it taking someone a few parties to get every episode of Star Trek TNG. :allears:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Only ever did small LAN parties with at most 6 people.

Someone would usually bring cocaine and we'd spend all night yelling at people over voice chat in whatever game we were hooked on at the time.

I joined this crew after they had burned out of LoL so they got me into Heroes of the Storm because they couldn't beat the MOBA habit. Depending on the amount of people who showed up we'd also play Rocket League, Mario Kart, Diablo 2.

Eventually some people only started showing up for the coke so they stopped showing up once suppliers got busted.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Biggest one we did was 6-8 people, back in like 2000 when we were all starting out in college. Had it at a house that 3 folks were renting together and yeah, a 3 day weekend of nerds playing (mostly) CS/starcraft.

One person brought an actual switch so there was a minimum of connection issues, and the house had broadband so connectivity for patching poo poo or whatever wasn't a problem. There wasn't any funk of note, but if there was the copious amounts of weed smoke probably covered it up. Other drugs of choice were vodka + grape jolt, which we called white lighting in a russian accent which was hilarious to us, and one person brought some shrooms and really enjoyed playing Alice for a few hours by himself. Nothing tremendously funny or sad happened. Someone did overflow the upstairs toilet, which leaked through the ceiling, through a smoke detector, which started going off, at around 3am. The host couldn't get it to stop so he tore it down, ran outside, and locked it in the trunk of his car. A novel solution.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
A few years ago my friend's dad admitted he would check the liquor cabinet after a LAN party and was always pleasantly surprised to find we hadn't gotten into the booze. I don't think it even ever occurred to us to try.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

~Coxy posted:

Dual booting Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 was really the best of both worlds for a year or two.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
This thread makes me so sad that I'll never get to relive being 17 and driving to my friends house on a Friday after dinner where 15-16 of us would setup a cs beta Tournament and playing literally all night.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gutcruncher posted:

Someone’s Windows will for seemingly no reason just become corrupt and they’ll have to do a clean install. It will be one of the people who fail to bring some kind of windows installation media.

We literally had a saying "It's not a LAN until someone has to reinstall Windows."
Lots of burning XP SP1 CDs with the VLK sharpied on the front.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Gutcruncher posted:

Lol this inexplicably happened at several of the lans we did in high school. Someone tries to boot up cs or whatever, blue screens and their windows install is hosed. So weird

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

~Coxy posted:

We literally had a saying "It's not a LAN until someone has to reinstall Windows."
Lots of burning XP SP1 CDs with the VLK sharpied on the front.

FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
drat, it used to take hours to load up Win95 back in the day.

Not actually sure if I ever reloaded a 3.1 system.... bought one once, but never reloaded it. I seem to recall using like 20 3.5" floppies to create a "recovery disk," or whatever it was called, then.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the golden age of gaming to be sure

i only did small LANs with my nerd friends but playing MECHWARRIOR and DUKE NUKEM 3D fuckin ruled

half life death match was really good too

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
jesus loving CHRIST we're old

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
All 2s is a valid quake3 key

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

razamataza posted:

That was the i10 in Newbury in like 2002. That was my first ever LAN party and as you can see there is a bar there, cue teenagers making GBS threads and puking their guts out after getting egged on to drink beer by their clan mates

heh

http://www.winnermen.com/i10.html

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
No but now I have

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
That big pic dump looks like some gamers having a fun time. One of those looks like a guys about to piss or cum on another though, not very chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I did 2 local ones back in 1996-1999, and I briefly attended a bigger one in 2012.

The very first one was 4 people and we were all playing Command and Conquer 1, Quake and Mechwarrior 2: Netmech. The second time it had a couple of computer musicians and it was almost nonstop trading of software, songs and samples the entire night. Played a few games of Unreal 1 multi but lots of people still didn't have good (or any) 3d cards. The second meet up also had an extremely obese and unhygienic person that was playing arcade games most of the night and we spent a good hour trying to chuck pennies into his butt crack from the other side of the room. Both of those times I had a fun time and met good people.The 2012 was awful: many people on meth and cocaine, grown adults acting like children, stuff getting stolen and people asking me non-stop for cables, drugs, favours, food items and rides. I don't know if it was an aberration or not because I met someone who attended that lan party years later and they said that particular one was a shitshow that they would rather never have to remember again.

The first two were fun at the time but I wouldn't do it again after the last one. It was more of an innocence thing at the time when I was younger, but I guess demographics have changed in regards to who goes to lan parties and who opt's to stay at home online. In an age of high speed internet and external hard drives, the benefits of staying home probably outweigh the negatives of going to getting your stuff stolen and dealing with lovely people.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 16, 2020