Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We had a teacher who dated a grade 10 girl and then continued after she graduated. Can't find anything about it these days, googling for Mr Brown Elanora High isn't showing anything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

lmao why would i bring coke? you know what australian customs would do to a white dude found with drugs?

id be slapped on the wrist so hard it’d almost ruin my trip!!!

Asking an Australian to bring Coke over speaks volumes about the quality of coke available in NZ and I feel truly sorry for the nation.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

McSpergin posted:

Post your favourite graffiti poem

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went to Mt Cordeaux on the weekend to shoot the regrowing bushland last weekend. The only wildlife we found was cicadas and their roar was deafening, real desolate stuff.

I have more to scan and process this evening, but I found this tree very striking.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

maxe posted:

Would dig seeing more of these when you have them

I learned what a trompe is the other day and now I can't stop thinking about trompes

Just got finished scanning.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Btw mb I have a camera with a nice portrait lens but I want something better for distance wildlife pictures, what sort of poo poo am I looking for? I am clueless when it comes to cameras

What camera do you have? Most manufacturers do a cheap and good 70-300mm which will get you all the reach you need for everything except birding.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s a Nikon d3100, I’ve haven’t used a proper camera since high school so I’m still trying to figure out the basics with the lens I have but I definitely want something with more distance. I’m not sure exactly what lens it has but it is 100% close range bc the closeups of my dog are very pretty on auto settings.

If you want to have fun and experiment I'd recommend chucking it into Aperture Priority (The A mode) and playing around. That'll select shutter speed for you based of manually set apeture and you can see how that effects your photos. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to only shoot full manual.

Nikon SLRs are cool because the lens mount never changed. You can get really cheap full manual lenses from a range of makers from as far back as 1959 that'll work with your camera.

There's a Brisbane camera fair every July and you'll get handfulls of Nikon lenses for $10 each.

If you wanna do some learning I highly recommend The Art of Photography essentials playlist for the fundamentals of exposure and composition.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGEE7pGLuppT2MB0a7TYgBx_ZHDDHaEr6

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went for a hike today and got very lost.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lolie posted:

It was worth it for those pics. They're amazing.

Thanks, these are the phone shots

Outrail posted:

Noice hongos.

Who's bones are those? Roo, cow or sheep?

Roo, here's the full spine

The skin was very Leatherface the black mass to the back left there.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lolie posted:

I should try to learn to take good photos to kill the time while I can't garden.

I recommend a video tutorial to Malcolm up thread that goes into composition that's worth a watch, otherwise my biggest advice is move down to your subject. Most people's pet and plant photos are bad because they're all from above, just drop down and get a more natural angle.

I only started seriously shooting 2 years ago and you pick it up pretty quick if you put some effort into the process.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Well, that was a nice storm. Hope it comes back.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Having a real nice afternoon

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

that cat needs a manicure, a bit of a snip snip

She's having a knead there. Scoops gets his nails did because he gets a bit pointy when he climbs. Poppy's never got hers done because 1: it's never been a problem and 2: there's no way she'd be OK with it ever.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I saw a Channel Billed Cuckoo chilling in a tree outside my balcony this morning. I had to go to the internet to identify it as I didn't even know we had a native Cuckoo in Brissie.

They're the largest species of Cuckoo in the world and also the largest brood parasite.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've always enjoyed the brutalist design of GOMA here in Brissie so I finally got off my rear end to take a photo of it.

Gotta go back and get more, but I know what film I'm using for it now.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Had a lovely day at the beach yesterday

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been having a rough week as on Tuesday night my boy Scoops fell from the window our second story apartment. We don't know if he landed on dirt or concrete but he was not fine and needed to be rushed to the emergency vet immediately.

After many x-rays and scans it's been reported that he's suffered no broken bones, fractures or damage to his internal organs but is still in a lot of pain and spinal or nerve complications aren't ruled out. I went to visit him last night and had a good ugly cry but my loving and curious boy is still there, even when hopped up on methodone.

https://i.imgur.com/rxXW7FT.mp4

He's coming back home this morning, still unable to walk but trying it out more, and I'm taking tomorrow off work so I can keep a close eye on him while my wife's at work. I've never felt so bad about anything else in my life and want by little boy back to his annoying, loud and curious self.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 12, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

Man I hope your kitty is just a bit bruised and banged up. Cats are hard little bastards so I'm sure he'll be okay. I remember when I was 14 my cat somehow fell off my 6th balcony in tokyo and survived the mean streets for four days before a security guard saw her somehow unharmed.

i am going to the public hospital epilepsy clinic now and that place fuckin sucks, i gotta complain about it somewhere

I hope so too, he's being spoiled currently with Cat YouTube and we've moved the mattress to the floor so he can join us in bed.

Can't wait to finish work and see him.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We got some pro pet parents in thread.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Airstream Driver posted:

My missus is constantly worried that our cat might jump off the second story balcony but I tell her she's being absurd so I won't show her this lol.

Yeah, he didn't jump. He was up in the pot plants on a window ledge and my wife tried to push him away but he somehow ended up hard against the fly-screen and the entire frame popped out and fell with him.

She feels terrible about it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Laserface posted:

remember when holden and ford both continued to produce full size sedans in an era when the market was more interested in buying SUVs and they both continued doing this for years and years and then failed?

pretty funny imo.

Classic Australian business tactic of continuing to do the exact same poo poo over and over while the world changes then asking the government to hamper the competition.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Condolences. I petitioned the missus about taking on a third cat but she wasn't keen, which is fair. I'll ask about and see if I can find it a good home.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I heard about that from my wife, who's a nurse there. Really horrific murder suicide on behalf of the father.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This is dope

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Given them the ol Slippery Pete

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Parroting everyone else, it took Poppy a good while to start to warm up to us. We hung a blanket over the cat tree for her to hide under and fed her there, then over time she got friendlier and friendlier. Now she's this.

It took her 2-3 months before she started seeking out a lap.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Unless the symptoms are always making decisions as if you've had too many coronas I think you're right.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I've met both MT and CD and definitely not. I hope that monitor is still serving you well Malcom.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My work currently has a no exceptions work from home if you feel like you might possibly feel sick at all policy thanks to the current pandemic. We work in aged care so we get technicians visiting quite often for stock who are in aged care homes daily.

We have a useless bastard of a developer who we are currently programming out of a job who decided to come into work today, while visibly ill. Fucken guy programs for a living and can't bother to show up for work on time on any given day of the week and often disappears for the day just after lunch who does a job you can do from home with no impact. Goddamn idiot.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I also got a leather strop today for my knives thanks to a goon recommending one in thread. Goddamn game changer in sharpening. I could shave with any knife in my kitchen now.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bill Posters posted:

I feel like giving pensioners a bunch of cash at that point and encouraging them to spend it is really just asking the most vulnerable demographic to go out and get themselves infected...

Gotta lower those pension payouts somehow!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Our Woolies hasn't been hit too hard cause it's in a uni, and mostly serves students. There been a run on rice and pasta but still stuff on the shelves, just a bit empty. No one's touching basmati and arborio tho.

The Asian grocery next door is just business as usual. As much rice, noodles and instant ramen as you want. Seems like not going to Asian restaurants is extending to Asian grocers.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm work from home effective Monday as well as the 2 other software developers in the office. Myself and our lead engineer both have nueses for wives and mine's in ICU so the company is rightly concerned about us being transmission vectors. Everyone else in the office lives around the corner, so if it's non-essential to show up you don't.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Rice was thin even at the Asian supermarket this morning, they only had 5kg bags of Japanese short grain from Hiroshima so guess who had 5kg of Japanese short grain rice from Hiroshima.

Got stuff for Japanese curry, spag bol, 8 snags, dumplings, bao and some long life veggies from the local farmers market. I'm keep on telling myself it's cool to prep a bit as my wife and I are very high risk to exposure but I can't help feeling like a dick.

No TP on shelves at the local tho, down to 5 rolls so fingers crossed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Work from home day one going well, so far no one has noticed I'm outsourcing to my cat.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

truly insane keyboard setup, I dig it

The middle one's a calculator with a send key to put the result on my PC!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

McSpergin posted:

How do you find the split keyboard works for you? I've been considering one for some time as I have fairly broad shoulders

It took about a month to get fluent in but it's been great. Really reduced my wrist and elbow pain. I also combined it with a vertical mouse.

The hardest thing about it is getting all your layers set up how you like then forcing yourself to use them. I'm a quicker more accurate typer now with this than I was with a standard board because it forces you into good habits like actually using your home row.

The one I've got is an Ergodox which is considered the gold standard and has a really good key programming tool and the ability to store 2 re-recordable macros on separate keys. It's also open source so if you're so inclined you can buy the PCBs and other components yourself and make it as you'd like. I wish I'd gotten blank sculpted keycaps instead of the printed ones now as I never look at them any more.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Isaac posted:

Nows the time to get my first nethack ascension

What better time to get back into Dwarf Fortress.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Practicing good work from home methods means changing out of your work clothes before having a wank after your shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Was getting groceries today (no TP, only 2 rolls left at home) and the BCC metre maids were still giving out tickets. Fucken disgraceful. Worse than being a cop.