Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Probably the bloke cleaning off the tracks with the pressure hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a Boost Juice down the shops that loving reeked for a long time, I hated walking past it.

Both my parents were smokers so while I don't like smoke I'm not, like, repulsed by it, if that makes sense.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I once went to a pub and they had a big photo collage above the urinals of women pointing, laughing, and sneaking a peek through the hands covering their eyes. There was no graffiti in the stalls, because who could compete?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Leaving Australia to live within driving distance of the United States of America sounds... counterintuitive at best.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I see they've got scrotum keyrings and scrotum bottleopeners, what else would you like to buy in scrotum format? I'm thinking like a phillips head screwdriver. A corkscrew perhaps.
Doorstops, paperweights, hackeysacks, coin purses, medical waste containers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think most of the good European black metal bands segued into ambient drone stuff at some point
Sometimes they experiment with pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHE28JiuSQk

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jestery posted:

Tag yourselves

I'm NEWSPAPERS PTY LTD

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

lilbeefer posted:

Is there such a thing as a painkiller that can be taken long term safely? I completely hosed my right hand and it will never be good again, and it hurts 24/7. I also broke my left arm at the same time, but that has essentially healed.

I don't expect a serious response because it would be a wonder drug, but it's worth running the sieve through the goonmind. I do not want a(nother) habit, I just want to amputate my right hand
i think this is something you should see a doctor about, both because they'll know more than us and because we live in a country where seeing a doctor won't bankrupt you for all eternity

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

2047: the birth rate has nose dived as the last commodore back seat has been cubed
i thought using the back seat was what reduced the birth rate?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Korgan posted:

Behind a paywall. I can't believe we have websites that do this still
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/sydney-baboon-escape-police-investigating-royal-prince-alfred-hospital

quote:

Three baboons have been recaptured after they were spotted on the loose at a major Sydney hospital, triggering a police response and a flurry of interest online.

Police told Guardian Australia on Tuesday evening that they were attending “an incident of that nature” when asked if reports of baboons on the loose were true.

Callers to Sydney talkback radio station 2GB were first to report that they’d seen apes running loose in the area.

A caller told presenter Ben Fordham that he’d seen three baboons.

“Mate I’m deadset serious, I’m at RPA, I’m six floors up and I was just having a gaze out at the carpark… and there were three baboons in the carpark,” he said. “I’m deadset serious. They even had shiny red bottoms.”

Another caller said her daughter and her colleagues had been chasing the animals.

“My daughter is an occupational therapist at RPA and she said ‘yes mum, I’ve just helped wrangle them’,” the caller said.

New South Wales police confirmed on Tuesday evening that they had recaptured the animals.

“Just after 5:30pm officers from Inner West Police Area Command were called to a car park on Missiden Road and Lucas St Camperdown, after reports three baboons escaped while being transported,” a NSW police spokesperson said.

“They are currently contained and police are working with experts to safely return them to their facility.

“There is no immediate danger to the public but people are advised to avoid the area,” she said.

A spokesperson from the University of Sydney told Guardian Australia that they were looking into the incident.

The baboons join a long tradition of animals breaking loose from captivity and embracing the freedom of the big city.

They include two water buffalo, which escaped from a movie set in Newtown, Sydney, and chased pedestrians down King Street; two llamas chased by police through the streets of Sun City, Arizona in 2015; and three lions that escaped from a circus on Mindil beach, Darwin, and caused all kinds of havoc before they were caught – including gatecrashing a wedding in the botanical gardens.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
doesn't seem to be any shortage of ciggies at any of the local supermarkets or bottleshops. wonder how the folks with hundreds of rolls of poo poo tickets are gonna deal with going cold turkey when the Totally-Inevitable Quarantine hits and confines us all to our rooms

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Isaac posted:

The labour to physically put the poo poo on the shelves probably isnt there. Id say lots of shops would have back rooms choking with stock but have a deficit of 50-100 man-hours a day to actually put it out. The worse the deficit gets the less efficient the remaining work is going to be too. Hard as it might be to beleive you cant just hire shelf stockers and have them do useful work, it takes many months before someones competent enough to start being a net-gain to the business, and the supermarkets dont like letting you hire new stockers more than once a year.

Someone was telling me woolies were going to shut stores for a day to catch up which is unheard of. Like ive been in shops where the roof has collapsed and 3 aisles of stock destroyed but it didnt stop them trading they just put some barriers around it and went on as normal.
Aldi announced today that they've temporarily shortened their opening hours nationwide, from 8:30am-8pm to 9:30am-7pm, just so that their staff can catch up on shelf-stocking, store-cleaning and getting stuff on and off of trucks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
new social distancing rules mean there can only be one person every 4 square meters in the line to bang mcspergins grandma

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Qmass posted:

Until your folks wind up in hospital with everyone else at the same time and you come on here to complain that they can't get on a ventilator because the hospital is completely swamped because the government didn't do enough to slow down the spread.

It is incredibly selfish to think that because you probably won't be very sick its all good mate.
be honest, you were masturbating while writing this, weren't you

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
please ensure that people remain at least 1.4m away from you by cultivating a pungent musk created by rubbing all your bodily wastes and reproductive fluids into your pale, tv-tanned flesh

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
if you go to the supermarket, grocers, butchers, market or really do anything other than slowly starve to death in a darkened bedroom in front of a browser window with old school runescape open than please use your stimulus payment to purchase a username change to typhoid mary at your soonest convenience

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

If the government wants me to stay at home all the time am I allowed to kill the guy next door who's learning to play the trumpet?
fight fire with fire

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Auspol Summer - I wish I could use posts to wipe my rear end

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
(SFX CUE: the ticker-tap of a dozen mechnical keyboards as half of ausgbs furiously writes to their councils trying to have their dealers classified as an essential service)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

Checking my temp every hour by shoving a meat thermometer up my arse.
tfab is ready for the challenge

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

It doesn't help when you read in the media poo poo like "cases have skyrocketed in the last 24hrs" and they just announced like 20 new cases or something.

Like gently caress sake.. yes we do need to be really really careful about this thing, because it can and will spread exponentially if left unchecked, but temper your words a bit.
This is apparently the first time in probably a decade that newspaper sales have been up, so expect headlines to go harder rather than tempering.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
though to be fair a good chunk of those newspaper sales increases are prob. due to people needing a bog roll substitute

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I managed to shore up supplies the other day but if all else fails then I guess I kept all those old Phantom comics for a reason

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I do have to wonder what all that stimulus package money is gonna get spent on when everything's shut...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lolie posted:

Online sales.
I figure, but seems a bit counter-intuitive for money intended to stimulate the Australian economy to go straight to Amazon or Uber Eats or other American corporations... but what do I know? I'm not a politician. :shrug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
they're gonna burn through all of those pretty fast, have you seen their APMs bro

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Isaac posted:

What does non-essential services mean. Is westfield going to be closed or what
They're being cagey about defining it. Shopping centers will probably be open due to them having supermarkets, post offices, banks and other essential stuff inside, but like half the poo poo in there will likely be shut.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I really wish they'd just fuckin call stumps at this point and have Australia shut shop for a few weeks.

It's gonna loving happen anyway, may as well just get it loving over with.
Isn't the just-announced measures - everything shut except the essentials - basically the same thing as what's going on in some US states at the moment? Given that "a few weeks" is idealistic at best and delusional at worst, and given that home grocery delivery is still on the fritz and supermarket panic-buying isn't likely to slow down in the face of this news, how would you propose locking things down harder without hordes of pensioners starving to death in piles of their own unwiped refuse?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Unclear if the scrapyard is essential or non essential, it certainly doesn’t violate the previous person per sq m rules
the lockdown isn't specifically designated as preventing tetanus, soooo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
check out my new grindcore album, Tetanus Herd Immunity. if you can't find it, look for the album art, it's a bunch of naked people hurling themselves against a rusty barbed wire fence. it's really cool, i paid a tattoo artist twelve dollars to draw it and he mixed the album while he was at it. bargain!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lolie posted:

How often is everyone checking the news?

I check the Aussie vivid news once a day, mostly in case there are any new restrictions imposed.

I only check the overseas covid news every few days now because it's too depressing and has little relevance to the local situation.
I just give the ABC News site a quick look once every day or two to see what the current virus situation is locally. I don't really watch TV all that much, so anything beyond that is walking into the living room while someone else is watching the news.

Dumb question: Has anyone here ordered anything from overseas while all this was going on? Been thinking of buying some stuff from a UK-based website but if there are additional restrictions that make that a massive pain in the arse beyond just delays than I'll just turf the idea entirely.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I attempted to order some stuff from japan last week but it was no dice. I ordered things before it got bad and while it turned up it took a little longer to arrive

Bill Posters posted:

There are bugger all planes flying so it's mostly just delays because of that. Options are limited to surface based transport from some countries.

I ordered some stuff from the US via Amazon a couple of weeks ago and it was a little slower but nothing too terrible. I'd imagine Amazon have more resources than most tho.

On the other hand I am waiting for my quarantinnie carton from just over an hour away and it's running about a week late.

Zazi posted:

I got some bids down on a set of oculus touch controllers because oculus stopped making them last year, I'm hoping the seller is prepared to ship them to australia though given they no longer exist I probably won't win them

Megabound posted:

I ordered a camera part a fortnight ago and just checked on the tracking, it was returned to sender yesterday. Usually never have an issue ordering off of eBay Japan.

Edit: Guess they've suspended international mail. Where else am I going to get my dumb obsolete camera parts from!

Tokamak posted:

Depends on the country, for example I tried getting something from Germany but the seller told me they can't send it here. Auspost maintains a list.

F posted:

Can also confirm. I tried to buy some watercolour pens for my daughter but they wouldn't ship to Aus due to roni.
Hmm. Doesn't look like the UK's suspended international mail, but still looks like a bit too much effort to go to for just a couple of books. I guess I'll try and stick to stores with an Aus presence for the next little while. Thanks for the help!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looking at a sea of "Unavailable Online", "Out of Stock" and "Est. Delivery Date: June" and coming to the too-late realisation that this might not be the best time in human history to look into buying a new office chair, on account of the entire country going into home-office mode...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zazi posted:

The missus and I had some good luck at Office Works a couple of weeks ago as the work from home craze was getting into gear. Might not still be okay, but basically I think the in-store locations are your best bet since they're inexplicably still open and probably have dreg stocks left over.
I checked the Officeworks website and it lists basically everything chair-related as being out of stock in every store in a 20km radius, and given the current circumstances charging into a big-box store on a whim doesn't seem like the greatest idea I've ever had.

Looks like there's a decent amount of stuff on eBay but I've somehow reached Anno Domini 2020 without having ever bought anything from eBay before so I'm a bit paranoid about going down that route.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
blow's continued presence is our punishment for being allowed to use the words the americans hate

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My town's generally been pretty good about things with everyone I've seen at the local supermarket keeping reasonable distances and such so I'm assuming you all live outside Victoria in which case your deep existential turmoil was probably justified years before the plague started spreading.

Haven't been to the Bunnings, though, so maybe that's like the last days of Rome. Dunno. No snags, no care.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 3, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj357ApxDLE

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

W-where’s the cheering in the footy coming from? all the seats are empty
Ghosts are exempt from social distancing restrictions, partially due to being non-corporeal but mostly due to anyone trying to enforce the restrictions upon them finding their heads spinning 360 degrees and endlessly vomiting worms.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Was he the guy who did all the'life be in it' poo poo BC they always looked similar to me
Nah, those were done by a bloke called Alex Stitt, who also did the Sid the Seagull "Slip Slop Slap" ads. He is no longer with us, unlike Hey Hey cartoonist Andrew Fyfe, who... I dunno, I don't watch The Footy Show so I guess I just assumed he'd left the arts and switched to a more respectable career path than cartooning, like horse castrator or traffic warden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blow posted:

I think I'm getting dogpiled on from the Discord.

:)
i'm not from the discord and have an entirely independent belief that you are a bad poster, and not one of the funny, forgivable bad posters like you think you are. just trash. a pile of era-old newspapers atop the crushed hoarder corpse of quality and craftsmanship.