Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nemo2342 posted:

The rules seem to be cribbed from Pathfinder, but yeah Mind Flayers are 100% owned by D&D.

Well… more like 98% owned. Final Fantasy gets to use them thanks to FFI just being a D&D with only half of the serial numbers removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

Well… more like 98% owned. Final Fantasy gets to use them thanks to FFI just being a D&D with only half of the serial numbers removed

A cursory googling says that "Illithid" is copyrighted but suggests that "Mind Flayer" and the concept of "octopus-faced being who eats brains" are not and exist in works prior to D&D making them free to use.

That being said though, FF Mind Flayers don't seem to mention any brain eating (though they do have physic attacks generally) which gives them an extra bit of distance away from D&D's Illithids.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:hmmyes:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sad day for gremlin girl who had her waifu stolen.

Shikimori

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nemo2342 posted:

A cursory googling says that "Illithid" is copyrighted but suggests that "Mind Flayer" and the concept of "octopus-faced being who eats brains" are not and exist in works prior to D&D making them free to use.

The combination of the "octopus-faced being who eats brains" with them sitting in space in a "Nautiloid" space ship from a 2nd D&D expansion called "Spelljammer" makes it very difficult to suggest the mind flayers are generic "octopus-faced being who eats brains".

the previous page

The new license would not actually matter because the OGL is only if you make content specifically for RPGs. If WOTC wanted to do anything to this manga/publisher it would have to be through copyright infringement and they would have to bring it to trial in another country which would be difficult.

If this manga was officially published in the US, though, it would either have to be edited (like changing all the names of the Jojo Stands from band/song names to random that sound similar) because suing an American publisher is much easier.

quote:

That being said though, FF Mind Flayers don't seem to mention any brain eating (though they do have physic attacks generally) which gives them an extra bit of distance away from D&D's Illithids.

~1990 D&D was owned by TSR and they were not really looking at video games when the first FF came in the US when there were already two sequels for FF. TSR was in a bad, lovely, spot financial wise and could only have so much on their plate. But the illithid is now a "product identity " and is owned by WoTC. As in if you show a "octopus-faced being who eats brains" in regal, complex robes you cannot say it was a new novel thing.

Now if you put the "octopus-faced being who eats brains" in a suit of armor or something else as a parody, then it would be no problem.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
It’s kind of a shame, because I think mind flayers are... under-utilised. What’s the ratio of mind-flayer stories to zombie stories? 1:5000?

Okay sure zombies are very easily understandable and uncomplicated. But even the dumbest person on the planet has to quickly get bad vibes from mind flayers;

-Weird octopus face
-Slurps brains
-Psychically enslaves people

I think there are a lot of mind flayer stories that have yet to be told, but for zombies I think the same story has been told a thousand times.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Elite posted:

It’s kind of a shame, because I think mind flayers are... under-utilised. What’s the ratio of mind-flayer stories to zombie stories? 1:5000?

Okay sure zombies are very easily understandable and uncomplicated. But even the dumbest person on the planet has to quickly get bad vibes from mind flayers;

-Weird octopus face
-Slurps brains
-Psychically enslaves people

I think there are a lot of mind flayer stories that have yet to be told, but for zombies I think the same story has been told a thousand times.

They are one of the few enemies in Bloodborne that no matter how powerful I am, I go EXTRA to make sure they're dead.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

doomrider7 posted:

They are one of the few enemies in Bloodborne that no matter how powerful I am, I go EXTRA to make sure they're dead.

I remember how happy I was when I discovered I could stunlock the ones in Demon Souls from full to dead.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

EVIL Gibson posted:

The combination of the "octopus-faced being who eats brains" with them sitting in space in a "Nautiloid" space ship from a 2nd D&D expansion called "Spelljammer" makes it very difficult to suggest the mind flayers are generic "octopus-faced being who eats brains".

I meant that more in regards to how FF still got to use them. This manga, as pointed out, is using so much of the material around them that even going "well we didn't /call/ them illithids" might not hold up if Wizard's wanted to go to court.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

I meant that more in regards to how FF still got to use them. This manga, as pointed out, is using so much of the material around them that even going "well we didn't /call/ them illithids" might not hold up if Wizard's wanted to go to court.

They're even using the clothing designed by D&D artists including the massively flared collars. They're D&D Illithid. Assuming WotC cares about any of this is also a big given.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

doomrider7 posted:

Sad day for gremlin girl who had her waifu stolen.

What is this?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Yancha Gal no Anjou-san

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 9, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

What is this from?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
that is also anjou-san

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Why is that little rage golem so against ntr anyways, it's kinda hosed up to be so down on people enjoying it

ntr is honestly the only good couple dynamic, and it's all i seek out nowadays because everything else just tastes like poo poo in comparison after a while, even if you're gonna call me boring
i'm not gonna judge you for hating ntr, but i will still think you're a little hosed up inside for it anways

give ntrs a chance in this world that's already stuffed to the brim with terrible relationships

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
it stands for non-toxic relationship, btw

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:goofy:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HenryEx posted:

Sure it does buddy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

HenryEx posted:

No no, Nice Tomboy Romance.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
Oh jeez, this inseki manga

Hiroyuki: Invincible Pundit In Another World

His cheat ability?

How he "attacks" is sitting down and looking like that rear end in a top hat that sits in Starbucks "arguing"

He needs to use the device given to him by the god to activate the ability but he dropped and forgot about it.

I would post more "Gyaru And Cthulhu" but it would be just about every page because its just great :shobon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

EVIL Gibson posted:

I would post more "Gyaru And Cthulhu" but it would be just about every page because its just great :shobon:

Yeah, I binged what's currently up on Mangadex after those pages that got posted here the other day, it's fantastic. :3:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
From today's Chainsaw Man, penguin!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Is this updating somewhere? I was sad when it stopped in the one place I know about it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Is this updating somewhere? I was sad when it stopped in the one place I know about it
another chapter just dropped a day ago on bato.to
http://bato.to/series/87626/for-better-or-for-worse-official

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the wrong way to use healing magic

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

x

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the wrong way to use healing magic

If his way is the wrong way I don't wanna be right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, TWWTUHM is one of the better isekai I'm following. The mc has a real feeling of earning his stupid strength rather than it just being handed to him. And I never tire of people around him just being unsure if he's even human anymore, with his superhuman abilities bolstered by his constant regeneration allowing him to go beyond what would destroy a normal human body. Just casually dashing around town carrying a bear on his back, or, well, the above.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, TWWTUHM is one of the better isekai I'm following. The mc has a real feeling of earning his stupid strength rather than it just being handed to him.

I like these three pages got me seriously hooked into the story. And they are all in chapter 2.

... later...

...later...

He knows he's not a "Hero" so he doesn't want to hold his two friends back at all. He doesn't know or even when they confide in him they don't feel like heroes (they are bringing it because the MC does amazing stuff) he comforts them by being the friend he always was.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 12, 2023

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gorilla-sensei rules

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If we're gushing about how Wrong way to use Healing Magic is a slam dunk. I agree that it's opening is a very strong grab with it's characters and how it plays with the idea of someone with a "useless" power. Rose as a mentor figure is just fun and the right character to draw readers into the rest of the story; a mix of Izumi Curtis from FMA and All Might back when his character mattered. But outside of Usato's training, the early moment that really made me stick was the conversation that happens between him and one of the intended chosen ones which I'll post just a snippet of.

I forget which isekai I had been following at the time but it felt novel to just have character admit they are happier being heroes and having sickrad powers instead of just living on Earth. But delivered from people who aren't completely nondescript self insert shells, or misanthropes as still seems to be common with Isekai.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Gorilla-sensei rules

it hits the same humour as one punch man, in that it has one joke, keeps repeating the joke, and that joke never stops being funny

really want it to be adapted

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, it also definitely feels similar at least in origin to opm(gag webcomic with bad art that took off and became a regular series and continued to actually be good).

Gorilla-sensei is the most powerful being in existence, even Saitama pales in comparison. If he can get isekai'd and then kool-aid man through the barriers of reality itself to get to God and chastise them then he can do anything

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the scouter gag was so fuckin' good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
What manga is gorilla sensei from?