Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly, I could fill a whole thread with favourite panels from Dungeon Meshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

mdct posted:

When it comes to weapons history, as always, that's people going too far in the other direction. It's true that some of the existing ones referred to as such were likely things like horse goads instead, but one-handed military flails definitely existed. They're too frequently depicted in art, and there's a couple of extant examples.

What we do know about them is that they were really rare, though. The larger two-handed varieties that were based on threshing flails were much more common.
There's some interesting discussion about it in this article, second-to-last segment; results are pretty much as you said, though. Apparently scholars are still rather divided on the topic.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Haven't read Witch Hat Atelier yet, but these pages really make me want to:
https://twitter.com/hourlywha/status/1529522971731275778

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Shamrock and Gold
Oh, thanks for reminding me of that one!