Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cooked Auto posted:

Something I learned recently was that the cockpit used in that movie doubled as a Hind cockpit in the movie Firefox.

That's another movie I've wanted to see but have not as of yet. Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

The helicopter itself is a modified Gazelle, with a big, almost dragon-fly like bulbous cockpit, and on the front a gatling gun that I guess is detuned for urban fire support. In an early scene we see it introduced in a live fire demo in the desert, and it is here we get to see probably the best reason to watch the movie: there is some absolutely sick helicopter flying in it. The 80s being the 80s, they had to do everything, and if you know a helicopter pilot, you need to sit them down and get their reactions, because it is awesome and nuts. You know the LA Canal system? Well, in the climactic set piece of the movie, they are doing a chase with helicopters there (because of course they loving are) and flying in under the pedestrian bridges.

The flying in the movie is bonkers, though they did use RC copters for some shots. But yeah, there's some batshit stunt flying that is a blast to watch.

I'll always have a place in my heart for this stupid rear end movie. It's simultaneously goofy and absurd but also has a mean edge where it goes for the 70s paranoia thriller-feel. It also has one my favorite line-deliveries of all time from Warren Oates when Scheider pretends that his radio isn't working so he doesn't have to return to base when his boss demands it. When he gets back, Oates barks at him, "Who are you fooling with that phony radio bullshit? Jesus Christ, Frank, that went out three days after Marconi invented the loving thing!"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Collateral Damage posted:

Me and a friend got drunk and decided to watch Battlefield Earth earlier this year. Unfortunately being drunk doesn't make it any more enjoyable.

I got drunk with a friend and saw battlefield earth in the theater. Didn’t improve the experience

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

He's one of those guys who massively overinflates what nuclear weapons do. The one that stands out in my memory is when around a hundred 0.1 kiloton tactical nukes are used on Mars, which render the entire planet uninhabitably radioactive for a century. There's another incident where a single ~10kt nuke means they have to abandon a whole planet.

I still like his books and my knowledge of physics means; radiation decays at the speed of the plot. :colbert:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

If we're counting sci-fi in here I enjoyed the Frontlines series by Marko Kloos. He has a hilarious understanding of how nuclear weapons work, but otherwise it's pretty good milSF, with the bonus of no weird sex poo poo or libertarianism.

It is pretty good, but it is really a series of short stories with some connective tissue, or at least the first couple of books are.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've never had a 20 hour road trip breeze by faster than last summer when whoever was riding shotgun had to read Battlefield Earth out loud to the driver until they were ready to swap out

Despite checking none of the boxes for good literature, or good genre fiction, or mediocre any of those things, it is wildly entertaining to keep saying "Johnny Goodboy" like you're talking to a golden retriever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's another movie I've wanted to see but have not as of yet. Any good?

No idea, haven't seen it myself and just something I picked up on social media recently.