Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did you touch the shuttle tire display too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The space shuttle touch the tires display at the CA Science Museum is a "blink and you miss it" thing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad someone else had that thought too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

What CANT you put Stingers on?

Cruise missiles and ICBMs, but I'm sure it's not for lack of trying.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
President Chairface was indeed one of our worse presidents.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't believe it either but an almost identical message is on their website.

https://www.33fw.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2192246/33rd-fighter-wing-f-35a-crash-at-eglin/

quote:

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. --
An F-35A Lightning II assigned to the 58th Fighter Squadron crashed upon landing around 9:30 p.m. today at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The pilot successfully ejected and was transported to the 96th Medical Group Hospital at Eglin AFB, Fla., for evaluation and monitoring.

The pilot is in stable condition. At the time of the accident, the pilot was participating in a routine night training sortie.

First responders from the 96th Test Wing are on the scene and the site is secured.

The accident is under investigation. There was no loss of life or damage to civilian property. The name of the pilot is not being released this time.

Please contact the 33rd Fighter Wing Public Affairs office at (850) 226-3876 or 33fwpublicaffairs@gmail.com with any questions.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's being formally abandoned, before there was a threat to abandon it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I generally like atriums, but that looks more like a guard tower.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At the risk of introducing politics into this, can anyone identify these vehicles?

https://twitter.com/GAFollowers/status/1269033957963837442

I'd guess the wheeled vehicle is one of the Iraq war patrol vehicles, but I can't place the treaded vehicle.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The wheeled one is some variant of a Ferret, and the tracked one looks like a variant of the FV305 without a gun.

I thought they looked British!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Late to moon nuke chat, but America had similar ambitions in the 1990s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJ3LIA5LmA

Okay, back to lurking.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Armenia/Azerbaijan war has seen a lot of drone use

https://twitter.com/neilbalan/status/1315633749846036480?s=19

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1315940107984293888?s=19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I haven't listened to the latest popular front podcast about drone warfare but it should be a good resource.

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1317147637657800705?s=19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think we're supposed to follow Ireland's lead and call it the Irish Slammer.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Three butts? What do you think this is, the deviantart thread?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would we have to start a new thread for Cold War II or would this one just absorb it?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tylertfb posted:

Ok, I could have sworn I saw a 117 fly overhead on Wednesday or Thursday morning last week (I work under the Miramar flight path) but chalked it up to pre-coffee fantasia, but maybe that really was that big boy on it’s up the coast.

There were also Hawker Hunters at Magu a week ago.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there images of the LCS decks that are cracking in half?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beNUTnJjPNI

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the "hull is cracking to pieces" the same as the "hull disintegrates in salt-water" thing, or is this a completely seperate problem?

This is a problem where there are cracks where the deck meets the hull so now the Indepdence class ships are limited to traveling 15 knots.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And the parts of the LCS that are cracking are above the waterline anyways.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/the-navys-independence-class-littoral-combat-ships-are-cracking posted:

the cracking may have been caused by “under-designed structural defects” at ship frames 36 and 45, although this remains unconfirmed by the Navy.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If Trump was still in office nad if he wanted to go for maximum troll, he could go with Fort Pillow. Named after one of the worse generals in US and Confederate history.

Edit: Already posted two pages ago, drats.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Looks like your camo skin didn't load; If you're not running mods then it could be a corrupted texture file. If it only happened once though then I wouldn't worry about it

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the next oldest active duty naval vessel, and the oldest active warship, was launched in 1936. A Brazilian river patrol boat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a soft spot in my heart for the American Medical Bureau from the Spanish Civil War but have no desire to spend $80 to $150 to buy books to learn more about it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

There are also a few books proper about the organization but they were academic press type books that just had a single print run.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is being touted as a sixth generation bomber but I'm not seeing anything on Google about bomber generations. Does anyone have any leads for what those bomber generations mean?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Handen posted:

There is no "sixth generation" that is specific to bombers, it's an overarching classification system for fighter jet aircraft that has sort of been adopted as a catch-all for the sake of military industrial complex dickwaving. Sliding the word "bomber" after "sixth generation" is kind of misleading.

Here's the article you were likely attempting to find that explains it in detail.

I saw that; the marketing material in the news made it sound like it was a term in active use for bombers as well as fighters.But that raises a lot of questions. How do bomber generations scale to fighter generations? Where do turboprops fall into it? Do attack aircraft count as light bombers? I'm sad that it's just marketing bullshit and not some obscure thing I could dive into.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I knew I didn't have enough knowledge about what was going down, military tactics, or strategy. So I took a stance of Ukraine needing to hold on. Each hour it didn't fall was another hour for the nation to stabilize the lines, each day it survived was another day it could regroup. The longer they survived the better the odds of maybe even launching counterattacks.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Russian Victory Parade featured several ballistic missile trucks, some APCs, and a single T-34

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1655843168225488899

And a fuckton of teenagers in poorly fitting uniforms, marching, driving the vehicles, and manning the turrets. Which is very scary and depressing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its the Super Saturday Conspiracy Super Show!

How this works:

Everyone gets one and ONLY ONE conspiracy theory guess as to how this war ends.

If you win, I send you a book. Might be a book about the F4F Wildcat, might be something on the Sino-Japanese Air War, its almost a guarantee its plane related.

I'll start: Prigozhin is doing this as a fake cover up where both he and Putin "die" and they escape with millions/billions of dollars to a foreign country and are never seen again

Contest entries must be submitted Today, June 24th 2023.

All I know is, a zoo is gonna get blown up and some animals will run wild. If we're lucky, we'll even get to see a gorilla riding a rhino.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The paraglider technicals feel like something that Tom Clancy would reject as being too much

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I see Turner is impatient for another arms control wonk podcast episode too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Arms Control Wonk, the newest episode goes into Russia's nuclear red lines as it specifically concerns the Russian Navy.

"RUSSIAN NUCLEAR DOCTRINE IN THE FINANCIAL TIMES 2: A CONVERSATION WITH WILLIAM ALBERQUE posted:

William Alberque joins Jeffrey for a friendly and deep debate about the Russian Navy nuclear documents leaked to FT, covered in our previous episode.

This is a fascinating discussion not only on the documents themselves, but what they imply for Russia’s view of its own territorial integrity, what it needs to convince its soldiers to go to bat for, and the eternal issues of “self-deterrence”.