Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nebakenezzer posted:

Rocket and People, Vol. 2: Catastrophes

Chertok has opinions on the Nedelin catastrophe. Officially it was a state secret that it happened, not officially acknowledged until 1989, but obviously there's a spectrum between educational monuments and S-4 at Area 51. Chertok mentions he used the catastrophe when teaching in his later career as an extended example as what not to do.

That said, I'd be interested to hear from people ITT if there's some sort of spectrum at work here, from "department email" to "guys I'm concerned" to you running away while screaming.

~* To Be Continued *~
Hi, lab technician here who works on somewhat dangerous stuff both during assembly and testing. I've actually used the "guys im concerned" phrase at a meeting and it absolutely shut everything down in a way no other phrase does. My personal steps of escalation when being asked to do something both dangerous and stupid are:
1. Talk to the engineer and see if they're open to not doing the stupid dangerous thing or modifying the test to be less stupid and dangerous.
2. Talk to my technician boss about how this idea is stupid and dangerous and we shouldn't do it. If im still told to do it:
3. Talk to the project supervisor about the same concerns. They usually don't care so:
4. Talk to our industrial safety. They generally only know and care about risks to people not equipment so they aren't always a huge help depending on what the problem is. Failing this:
5. Try to get reassigned to other jobs. Escalate this request as high as I can. Say I'm better used at other jobs. This works well if you keep asking questions to the point where it's easier just to get rid of you. This has only not worked for me once. If this still doesn't work theres always :
6. Call in sick on test day.

I work for a lot of former Soviet engineers and, uh, I'm definitely seeing a few of my old/ currebt bosses in these descriptions. Especially the whole "precision field modifications done by hand off of tiny pencil sketches". I lol'd out loud at that. loving been there it blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nebakenezzer posted:

You'd definitely like Rockets and People, then. I've been posting little summaries in several threads, but I'm pretty sure it's this thread where Chertok recounts the 30 day rush to make a dog go into space. They skipped the whole hand-sketch thing there, the engineers were just there telling the millwright/electrician how to do things

I'll be getting that book for sure. A lot of those stories are hitting way way to close to home. Somewhat reassuring that its a universal thing in a sick way.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Downloading those now and I will start going through them they look super interesting. I have one engineer I worked for who was a SA-2 battery commander after his time in university. I tried to get stories out of him but it was mostly just him getting very excited and talking about how cool the rockets were when they got to test launch them. This is the most excited I have ever seen this guy working with him for 10 years, including when he announced his first grandson was born. Also that he was pretty sure he would have been able to take down some B-52's given the chance.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tias posted:

give us a top three of oh poo poo moments you had working for rocket racoon and his merry rocketeers

We dont have a lot of 'oh poo poo' moments with him because he's more in charge of building poo poo than testing it for good reason. But the 3 dumbest things I've had to do right off the top of my head:

1. Telling me to keep repairing an electronics cart that was easential to our work for 3 loving months rather then spending a few grand on newer and much better stuff that wasn't homemade and 20 years old. Was cool for our weekly meeting to be 'will the cart be ready this week?' 'I have no idea maybe?' 'Good keep trying you'll get it soon.' This delayed a project like 30 people were working on for months. Good times. I'm also not an electronics tech and we have them but they weren't allowed to work on this or help me for budget reasons. Eventually I just said the whole thing was hosed and I couldn't fix it for 2 weeks straight and they bough new poo poo. I got promoted shortly after this.

2. Had me and another engineer do cryogenic testing of a model of something without telling us us he expected it to fail and break. Was super exciting when it flew apart in the tank and sent a small fountain of liquid nitrogen splashing up. Was more exciting than taking physical measurements of it while it was still at 77k by hand.

3. He had me take measurements with dial indicators to .0001". Using homemade measuring tooling that wobbled like .010" while I used it. I told him his requested accuracy was impossible and he was like "no just make sure the wobble is wobbled this way and write the number down." I told him these were bad numbers and that I could maybe get .010" tolerance even with his wobble trick. He said that would be fine. Later he took my somewhat guessed readings I took to .0001" and had them displayed on a spreadsheet and spent a week arguing with other people in meetings about how we had to do poo poo based off of exactly these measurements because they were perfect and I spent a long time on them so they must be right.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We dont do flight anything we make 'other' non-defense high precision scientific research devices thankfully but that are test stand tested to extreme conditions.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ITER was supposed to be built and operating by now lmao.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I might eat poo poo for saying this but I feel like that might be a mistake on NATO's part if they do let them in.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

aphid_licker posted:

An Afghan guy we've been working with is screaming for us to get him out of the country. We have just about zero wherewithal or leverage to do this, we're a tiny company, and it's the worst fuckin feeling.

Dead serious question here. Do you think Afghanistan as we know it now will survive another year? Also goddamn that sucks I do hope he gets out.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Pretty sure the answer is going to be "just post" but one of the guys on the ground in Vares wrote a series of blog posts and later a book about the whole hosed up affair. If there's interest I could translate at least parts of it (the posts not the loving book).

:justpost:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Murgos posted:

The real trick is probably that personnel budget is probably tracked in a separate bucket from equipment so they can spend money where they have money (equipment procurement) and reallocate personnel to where they are short.

I work for a civilian part of the government and this totally happens all the time.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Gonna lol if they just loaded up part model XXXXXXX Revision A on one of the machines and Revision D on the other 3.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Giant magnets are really expensive. Like incredibly expensive and difficult to make and keep working for long periods of time.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: not sure what China is doing but it sounds like they are grifting the poorest nations: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/worl...obox=1633052479

This is basically exactly what the United States does. Confessions of an Economic Hitman is explicitly about how this is a major unacknowledged tool of US foreign policy and something we've been doing to the developing world for 50+ years. So I guess they're really learning from us.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hypnophant posted:

this is like treating a graham greene or john le carre novel as a primary source

e: anyway whataboutism aside, the point here isn’t to wag the finger or moralize, it’s that the inexperienced chinese financial sector may have made a bunch of real bad loans. despite being a lender nation, china’s net investment income is deeply negative

I personally know a guy who worked with John Perkins in Indonesia who told me to read the book because it didn't even say half of what happened while they were there.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yep I did, and this isn't the thread for this discussion so I'm done with this here.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I limit what politics I talk in the gun forum ill show myself out thanks.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

That entire article's assumption is that there's no way we're seeing what we're seeing. Russia must be on the verge of a Deep Battle encirclement and will win any day now. Please ignore all evidence to the contrary. Their failures to take objectives are on purpose.

I 100% agree with this. People saying that Russia is winning or will win are missing the point to me. Sure if they go total war and fully mobilize their entire state towards conquering Ukraine they can but why are they needing to go total war to bring down a country that they were expecting to occupy in a long weekend?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Google also just updated my town in a large metro area for the first time in 4 years this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CainFortea posted:

When I was quite small my mother took me to a park to feed the ducks.

The geese decided that this little featherless biped who is shorter than they are could be easily bullied for more food.

My mother, all 5'5" and 100lbs of her, came screaming into the hoard of geese, weaponless. She solve this issue by grabbing two geese by the necks and swinging them around like flails at all the other geese, until she got them away from me far enough. She then yeeted the two geese at the others with a mighty yell and picked me up and ran back to the car.

This is the correct way to handle geese. Your mom owns.