Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

david_a posted:

I’m not on the current season... Not everyone consumes every piece of media the nanosecond it is released.

It’s from season 3, which is from 2018. Idk when the no context spoiler statute of limitations falls off but you had a 2 years and a pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Sequester was about 4 years after the bail in the F-22 production line’s coffin.

Also did not help the F-22 line that Senator McCain hated the aircraft. A lot.

was he mad he never would crash one

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

zoux posted:

How do you aim this?

That way

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Or precision munitions is a lie

Even the knife missile misses every once in a while

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

The leveled a 160-odd unit apartment because some militant might be there but also gave them 30ish minutes to flee.

Killing the dude wasn’t the point. It was terrorism.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

If you give people (incl your loving target) 30mn to gently caress off, that's just wanton destruction of civilian property with a side of war crime.

Israel is the baddies, who knew

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Triple kill

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

MrYenko posted:

This fact was posted from a Canberra.

you son of a bitch

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

They are expendable but public thinks otherwise

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Also if your daily driver account isn’t an admin the damage that would be done is limited.

But lol at embedded virus PDFs that wouldn’t be obsolete a week after being put up. I guess you could be careful if the change date was like today but government PDFs languish on forgotten websites for years.

I hate that my autocorrect is capitalizing PDFs

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Is a chariot a technical

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

Fargo is a mercy nuke. I expected more on San Antonio considering the bases and how much bigger it is than Austin.

Fargo is the crossroads of two interstates and a bunch of rail.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Czech heavy

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Can someone repost that story about some air to air training and someone was allowed to use any weapons the airframe was rated for so he used a genie?

The punchline is something like “ethics down, kill ratio up!”

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're conflating two stories. I don't have the "You can use any weapons your airframe can carry" story on hand, but "Credibility is DOWN, kill ratio is UP!" is a story about an F-14 pilot telling his exercise opponent that they'd just do a guns duel, then using missiles.

You are correct. It’s that story and the one RoastBeef posted below you. Thanks!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

That clearly says ground vehicle.

I think the dolphin is a "fishing boat"

What are boats if not pickups of the sea

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Stravag posted:

American it. F16xxl

F160 offroad

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

It’s Ukraine

Not The Ukraine

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

zoux posted:

You know I haven't seen one Ukrainian casualty report.

I'm watching Reacher and I have a question: someone can retire from the military as a major with a full pension at the age of 39?

Ukraine said something like 1500 soldiers and 2000 civilians yesterday or the day before. I don’t remember if that was casualties or deaths.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

Seems sort of wild to me that they're going to that effort to apparently pull Belarus in. Do they really think Belarusian troops are going to be the difference maker that pushes them through? Are they that desperate to just replace their own conscripts? I guess maybe there's the geo-political dimension to it all, that it would make Ukraine look worse, but who's going to believe it?

I think they are out of dudes and need any reinforcements.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

thermite grenades were sold for Faberge eggs

send Ukraine the Keltec p50

so they have something cool to give to the MP to load their one box of 5.7 with

I didn’t know that existed!

Keltec is the forbidden manufacturer

It looks so cool but Keltec

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Groda posted:

Respiratory failure covers a lot of ground, but CBRN is about to get wild if they're out deploying fentanyl in regular warfare.

Narcan autoinjectors?

Fentanyl doesn’t work like that.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

in a well actually posted:

I would argue that we don’t know how to make nuclear reactors. 8 billion will get you a half of a 1 GW Gen III+ reactor in a decade, if you’re lucky. Maybe two reactors if you have the Koreans build it and don’t interfere (lol.)

8 billion today would buy you a lot of PV, even if you buy expensive utility scale storage; you can do a lot with HVDC and wind to reduce the amount of storage needed. You’ll have a decade of low-carbon kwh generated over the decade while westinghouse is coming back for their eightieth change order after a decade because they forgot to specify corrosive-resistant pipes for corrosive fluid.

A nuke reactor gets built in the US every 4 months or so, we just put them in submarines.

It’s the completely wrong design (Ferrari engine versus a freight train is how I’ve seen it described) but even if it’s horribly inefficient it’s infinitely better than burning carbon.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Phanatic posted:

1. For power density they run on uranium enriched to sufficiently high levels to build a bomb with.
2. To go for such long periods of time without refueling they have an *insane* excess of reactivity, which is controlled through the inclusion of really expensive burnable poisons like hafnium.
3. Other things.

Neither of these are actual problems to create civilian power consumption. What I’m saying is that we have the ability to make reactors without red tape. If we really had to (and I argue we do) we could crank these out on a nationalized grid and back fill with more efficient reactors later or whatever. We don’t have to let perfect get in the way of doing work.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

How would some drone carrier type thing work as an anti pirate bote?My land lubber sensibilities think that some drones with hellfires have the reach to deal with whatever nonsense speed boats are cruising around and probably still have some room for anti ship missile or AA defenses.

Or would a drone operation deck just be too much of a commitment in the build that you are just basically making a baby carrier with no defenses?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Let's not engage in Contra factuals.

This didn’t get enough love.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

Well, it's not really _that_ accurate. That's why when you're aiming at the enemy's belt buckle (since the bren is an anti-materiel weapon that the Geneva convention forbids use of on humans) it sometimes "accidentally" hits the person. If that fails, the shockwave from the passing bullet usually gets them.

Even a hit can have crazy effects though, like when the bullets follow the bones, ie stopping power.

mods

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah like that would actually be the type of system I'd expect they use if anything, a condom type setup was what they used on Apollo, apparently pretty successfully.

I'd definitely rather just use a MAG than insert anything into my dick.

And all the astronauts kept having cath leaking problems because they all lied about how big of a condom they needed

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Ah, a scarecrew

I appreciated this

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He said spend tens of thousands on a battery, not commit battery.

EV batteries hold up for as long as most engines do. If your car was going to poo poo the bed in 5 years it’s a bad car.

I’m driving a 10 year old Prius with the same batteries and engine from the factory and I’m in a cold climate. Batteries aren’t the problem

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

zoux posted:

So they did the Grinier for "The Merchant of Death" trade. Why the gently caress did the Russians want this guy back so bad that they kidnapped a famous American citizen about it.

That implies intent. I’m guessing they grabbed her because it was easy and then used her as a bargaining chip for whatever they could get.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

joat mon posted:

This amazing picture has been stuck stuck in my head since the early days of the Russia-Ukraine war

So I tried making it in stained glass.

5 stars. That’s so loving good

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Mortabis posted:

Dunning-Krueger like most landmark psychology findings doesn't replicate; it's not a real thing.

idk have you seen your posts

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Geese lose every fight they get into with an F-14 canopy.

heh

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

It absolutely amazes me that devices I used in the 90s have multiple photographs, internals photographed, or manuals available online.

The 90s is almost 30 years ago. It would be like the equipment from the 60s when you were in

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

In other news, it looks like the Florida judge who made up nonsense on the bench during pretrial hearings--to the extent that she was unanimously censured by her own party-aligned superior court--is going to preside over the classified materials case, if the feds choose to hold it there rather than in DC.

Cannon was an unlucky draw but the prosecution didn’t want to hand thurp a bunch of delaying tactics by having things in a different jurisdiction

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I love that plush Raphael

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

protesters in Chile took out a police drone using laserpointers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIOh9-RoAaE

Hoollleeee poo poo

:stare:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

You can usually assume the exact opposite of any Mortabis post.

I’d put money on Ukraine having a significant breakthrough soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Worst game, best background story.

i only read it for the articles